Gamma stereo won't unlock after flat battery - denty2005
I have the correct code for the stereo unit from my log book, but the manual tells me to press TP and TA simultaniously to enter the code. I don't have a TA button, and the manual unit differs from mine. I've tried all sorts of button combinations to enter the code, but can't seem to do it.

The car is a 98 passat, and the stereo unit is a Gamma model.

Anyone had this problem?

Edited by Pugugly on 11/10/2008 at 20:16

VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - Halmer
Don't know if I've got the wrong end of the stick but my Gamma manual states: -

1000 will appear in the display

Input the code number attached to the code card using the station buttons. Use button 1 to input the first digit of the code, button 2 the second etc etc.

then press either the search or the manual setting rocker switch for longer than 2 seconds. Then release the button.

The radio can now be used again!

Hope that this works.

Rob
VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - Hamsafar
If that doesn't work, also try disconnecting the battery for a while. A flat battery will often scramble it, especially if you keep trying to restart the car before the battery is charged.
VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - passat 20v se
Had exactly the same problem after recharging a flat battery. Gemma unit completely dead - no "safe" message, in fact no signs of life. Took Hamsafar's advice and disconnected and reconnected battery. First got the "safe" display which after 60 seconds changed to "learn". 60 seconds later, all back to normal, including the pre-stored stations. Major relief as I don't have any code number to enter. Thanks again H
did it work?
VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - rtj70
I seem to remember the VW Gamma radio remembers the car it's in somehow. Had one in a Golf and Passat and battery disconnected to fit handsfree kits and definately came back on without a problem.
VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - Stuartli
My Gamma stereo unit is the same. After reconnecting the battery the set goes into a check routine (Safe comes up on the display) and in a couple of minutes or so the status quo is restored.

PS

It's because it's tied to the actual vehicle - it wouldn't perform the same routine in another vehicle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by
Which asks the question about the Gamma radio in the car of the OP... it should just work.
VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - jc2
How does it know which vehicle it is in-must get a signal from somewhere???
VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - Hamsafar
It gets it from instrument cluster on later cars via CANBUS, I *thought* this only happened after year 2001. Vauxhalls are the same.
Well my Golf GTI 1.8T in August 1999 did this. And so did my 2000 Passat 1.8T.
VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - gheys
I recently had a new engine put into my 1998 passat, and my radio now rejects the previous radio code.
Any ideas on what I need to do?
VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - Pugugly
Won't talk to the ECU probably - it needs to matched through what Skoda call the "comfort" code.
VW Gamma stereo won't unlock after Flat battery - denty2005
Thanks Rob - it worked after I entered the code and pressed one of the seek buttons fro 2 secs. Turns out I have a Gamma 5, and the manual is a Gamma 4.
Well done Denty!