1998 - radio code locked - sallyhan
I have a 1998 306. when the battery needed replacing the radio reset itself and requested the code. in my wisdom i entered some random numbers to see what would happen and now the radio appears to be locked - the display just shows "- - - -". i now have the correct code and have tried disconnecting the battery to get the radio to reset itself, but it now seems to be jammed on the 4 dashes. Any ideas please?

Top Reply

peugeot radio code locked - sallyhan
Thanks for all the advice. To put an end to this thread and for everyone elses benefit, I will let you know what didn't work, and what did!

Didn't work - disconnecting the battery again
Any of those websites
leaving the radio on for more than 30 mins

Did work - holding in the ~ button for about 10 seconds. The display then resets itself from ---- (locked) to **** and you can put the correct code in!

All Replies

peugeot radio code locked - Dynamic Dave
Can you elaborate as to the make and model of stereo fitted?
Can you elaborate as to the make and model of stereo fitted?>>

Its just the standard peugeot radio/cassette that is fitted in that model
Its just the standard peugeot radio/cassette that is fitted in that model

Does it not have a name on the front? The following site *may* help, but only if you know the make & model.

www.car-audio-accessories.co.uk/code-entry-help.php
Thanks Dave, I'm sure it will have some kind of reference name / number on it. I'll check it when I get home tonight
peugeot radio code locked - kithmo
If it's like the Ford radios, you only have so many attempts before it locks up, then you have to take it to the dealers to be unlocked.
i suspected that might be the case!
peugeot radio code locked - David Horn
Try leaving the car with the ignition on for 30 minutes or so.
peugeot radio code locked - normd2
i'm sure my old Peugeot had a system whereby if the code was incorrectly entered enough times it would lock out until the battery had been disconnected for half an hour, the second time round it needed an hours disconnection etc etc or something similar. Maybe try leaving the battery off overnight if possible? Or does anyone know if the auxilary feed to maintain the station memory would affect the security ie the main radio fuse could just be pulled allowing the battery to remain connected and the car usable?
peugeot radio code locked - Cliff Pope
With a Volvo radio you have to leave the ignition on for 2 hours to unlock the radio, then enter the correct code.
Or, so it is said, put the radio in the freezer overnight and enter 0000 if you do not know the code.
This may not be true - was an old thread disputing this bit of folklore.
peugeot radio code locked - normd2
bit off topic but I've seen the freezer trick work with a dead pc hard-drive, resurrected it for long enough to recover vital data.
peugeot radio code locked - sierraman
Try here- radiocode.proboards6.com/index.cgi?board=generalra...o although the site is not working right now.Alternatively an autoelectrician would sort it out,usually a tenner for radio decoding.
Thanks for all the advice. To put an end to this thread and for everyone elses benefit, I will let you know what didn't work, and what did!

Didn't work - disconnecting the battery again
Any of those websites
leaving the radio on for more than 30 mins

Did work - holding in the ~ button for about 10 seconds. The display then resets itself from ---- (locked) to **** and you can put the correct code in!

Thanks for reporting back sallyhan.

It's not every time we hear back as to whether the problem was resolved or how.

This *might* prove invaluable to someone else one day.
peugeot radio code locked - dario

of course it did prove at least for me and after 3 years passing from this thread

peugeot radio code locked - dario

please DO NOT DELETE THIS EVER!!!

peugeot radio code locked - AvoidDeadEnds
Tried your method today, pressing the ~ really did work and now we have a radio again. Thanks very much indeed. 11th December 2010
peugeot radio code locked - chefomon

Thanks, mate! I was just geting desperate reading all the posts saying just how much I'd have to pay to get my radio unlocked... :)

Edited by chefomon on 08/10/2011 at 01:08

peugeot radio code locked - pinklucy_007

Hello, I have a similar problem with my 2001 306. Thought I would be celver and try some random numbers and radio is now stuck on 'Error 5'. Can I ask what the ~ button is??

Thanks in advance

peugeot radio code locked - Joe0411975

Great job, it work to me too... I have peugeot 306 1998. too, and I was very wise too to check with some random codes, which results with locked radio. The ~ button is magic button. I press it few seconds, and magic word appears. Unlock code . My code is 1111, btw, not 0000.

Tnx, Tnx, Tnx... Great post, great help....

peugeot radio code locked - AnaFigs
Please, what is de ~ button? I can find in my 2040 radio. Tks
peugeot radio code locked - Saara

Thanks for all the advice. To put an end to this thread and for everyone elses benefit, I will let you know what didn't work, and what did! Didn't work - disconnecting the battery again Any of those websites leaving the radio on for more than 30 mins Did work - holding in the ~ button for about 10 seconds. The display then resets itself from ---- (locked) to **** and you can put the correct code in!

What's next? My friend decided to block my radio six months ago and I've yet to find out a way to get the right code in. Now, following your instructions, I got the right code in but it's still stuck? It just shows the code but nothing else happens, I've tried to push every button and turned the radio off but it proceeds nowhere! And I'm going crazy, I finally thought I'd have it working but no...

Car mechanic myself, but this mystery is too much for even me to solve :P

Or could it be I now need to keep the damn thing on for that 30min-2hours, and/or, remove the battery, been there, done that... And it's quite impossible here in Finland, in January, with polar bears roaming the streets and all :)

HELP!!