timing an engine without timing holes - track
Got an isue with my engine, the timing holes dont seem to line up at all, well they can be lined up with the belt off but the holes make the vlaves be fully open at TDC...NOT GOOD. The engine is a bit of a mix and match though, restroked 2.0 16v to 2.1 litres and long duration cam. So Im going to have to time the engine manually, just need to get verification what I have below is good enough to get me going, the cams are on verniers so fine tuning later is possible. firing order is 1342.

right sorry for the ramblings, my heads a bit stuffed at moment with this damn car. Does all the following sound plausible?

table of how the engine runs:-

Fires..................Compresses.......Intake..........Exhaust.......

Exhaust.............Fire....................Compress.....Intake.......

Intake...............Exhaust..............Fire..............Compress..

Compress..........Intake................Exhaust........Fire...........

Assuming I have that correct then the bottom end is turning at 2:1 with top, IE bottom end does 180 degrees and top does 90. And following the firing order etc this means the start of the exhaust cam is 90 degrees behind the end of the inlet cam? Also ideally I need the inlet valves to be fully closing at the bottom of the intake stroke and the exhaust valve to be at the start of opening at the bottom of the firing stoke? Or do I need to be looking for some overlap somewhere?
timing a peugeot engine without timing holes - milkyjoe
have you got one of the pulleys on upside down as it were?
timing a peugeot engine without timing holes - scotmech
This is a bit technical ... but if you can get your head around it ...

www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/cam_timing.htm

timing a peugeot engine without timing holes - 659FBE
I'm not an expert on PSA petrol engines, but I've seen lots of diesels.

Some of them have the crankshaft locking hole in the crank pulley - on the belt side of the torsional vibration damper. The damper consists of a rubber ring moulded concentrically between the crankshaft hub and the outer ring which carries the auxiliary drive belt.

If the rubber to metal bond breaks, the timing hole will be wrongly positioned relative to the crankshaft. These pulleys will operate for a while in this condition before the broken bond becomes fully evident.

Others were pegged with a hole in the flywheel - a much better idea.

timing a peugeot engine without timing holes - Screwloose
track

With the TDC sensor lining up with the reference for cyl #1; the valves on #1 will be fully closed and the valves on #4 will be on the overlap - both sides open an equal amount.

What's the engine in? What's the engine code? [RF...?] Are the cams in the right side? Are the cam wheels on the right cams? Is the crank sprocket keyway correctly located.

Do you have a belt timing guide/instructions? Why can't you use the pins?