Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - henry k
www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?ID=91229
Review of dual-clutch transmission.

"We see a future where manual transmission may even be legislated against. That could create an environment where you need automated manual transmissions,"

(£495 for a fuller report)
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Aprilia
The death of manual transmissions has been predicted many times in the past. In most European countries the auto ( or automated-manual) market remain small. I think most owners like the simplicity of a standard manual and I can't see it changing. Any legislation (which I'm doubtful would ever happen in my lifetime) would try to knock out conventional stepped-ratio automatics first. Some kind of CVT based on toroidal variators (like the JATCO/NSK system) seems to offer the optimum solution in terms of efficiency, emissions, durability and weight.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - GregSwain
The vast majority of cars in this country are manual. I can't see that changing too much in the near future, especially with CO2-linked road tax. Manuals are cheaper to tax, and cheaper to buy in the first place. They usually perform better, and are nice and simple compared to autoboxes, especially rubber-band (CVT) and all this DSG stuff. Indeed some people are still scared of driving automatics for some reason!
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - bathtub tom
>>Indeed some people are still scared of driving automatics for some reason!

Yes! Every time I step in an automatic, as soon as I get to the first junction, I brake lightly with my right foot, and press the clutch with my left. They don't half stop quick when you do that, very disconcerting for passengers.
Yes! Every time I step in an automatic as soon as I get to the
first junction I brake lightly with my right foot and press the clutch with my left.

Must admit I've done that before as my mind's wandered - soon gets you concentrating again though! I know several people who, at the mention of an automatic car, pull a face and say "oh I don't like them because they move on their own and you don't have any control". Surely a "go" pedal, a "stop" pedal and a steering wheel are sufficient?!
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - SlidingPillar
If an auto gave a benefit in CO, then it would be more popular, and manuals would get rarer.

There are things like manual advance and retard controls that went out of fashion as automatic control worked very well, and probably improved fuel consumption. Although you'd never satisfy the emission gear without doing it automatically, I don't think they are even now illegal in their own right.

The real future probably is not stupidly complex auto transmissions that the web site would like to see, but something akin to petrol electric with batteries. And that's not new either, Thomas Tilling and his buses had it, I think in the 1920's (perhaps earlier, but I've not the time to look).
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Ubi
As a committed two pedal driver for over twenty years it mystifies me why anyone would ever want to engage in the tedious business of constantly declutching and selecting gears manually.

"Yes but you have more control," is the usual argument. In today's clogged roads where is "more control" necessary or even usable ? Motoring is just a utility for getting from A to B. The more automated the process the better.

I also believe that stick shifts will become a small niche market in time. If only because that's what has happened across the Atlantic and we usually follow the lead, albeit some years behind.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - tyro
Out of idle curiousity, when did automatics become standard in the USA?

For my entire life - which is not far off half a century now - it has always been "automatics in the US, manuals in Europe" - and there has been, to the best of my knowledge, no significant increase in the proportion of automatics sold in the UK in recent years.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Group B
Out of idle curiousity when did automatics become standard in the USA?

Automatics have been popular in the US since the 50's; I think they were introduced in the late 40's and became pretty universal on cars through the 50's.

The 50's were boomtime in the US and their cars went the way of lazy-driving barges with big engines, running on cheap fuel, where the autos' lack of efficiency did not matter. In this country we had weedy little sidevalve fours where the reduced efficiency of a torque converter auto would have been noticeable and undesirable. So autos were never going to become popular over here simply to follow the fashion of the US.
Its only relatively recently that automatics have increased in efficiency with lock up clutches and more advanced electronic control etc., which has made them a more viable alternative in smaller cars.

Where I drive I don't see much congestion and I dont need any help changing gear. I say keep it simple and cheap with a manual gearbox and manual clutch; that system is perfectly adequate for mass market cars...
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - DP
While I can see the appeal of a self-shifter, particularly when stuck in traffic, I just hate the torque convertor on auto boxes. When I press the pedal I want a direct mechanical connection 'twixt the engine and wheels, not having my drive sent via a box of syrup that makes the car sound like an inept learner trying to do a hill start. I also like engine braking.

The new breed of "automated manuals" are quite interesting though.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - stunorthants26
I love an auto gearbox and Im even sacrificing my desire for good economy on my next old car to get back to a self-shifter. Manuals have their place though, they always will although clutchless manuals which give most of the control of a manual could possibly become more popular IF they can make them smoother ( by this i mean literally the normal manual shift but with automated clutch, not anything like DSG ).

Around town, you dont have all that tedious gearchanging and having to hold the clutch down for periods of time ( if you have heavy sprung clutch, makes your leg ache ) and on open road, you wanna overtake something, all you have to do is boot it and the car gets the right gear and off you go.

I do like slushy smooth boxes though, hate a jerky auto as by this point in time, we should know how to make them smooth. The americans arent that automotively gifted, but they can atleast make smooth autos.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - boxsterboy
In response to GregSwain and SlidingPillar, my auto(mated manual) has lower CO2 than the manual, which puts it in a lower VED band (B).

I happen to like the EGS box on my C4. Around town or if lazy I can have full auto. But on the open road I have full manual control, instant response, etc., but without the hassle of a clutch peddle. I too hate the wasteful noise of a torque converter - something you don't get with the EGS.

Is it perfect? No.
Is any gearbox perfect? No.

Most of my driving is urban and I think the box is a good compromise which happens to save fuel, tax, and hopefully soom will exempt me from the congestion charge. But even if most of my driving was out of town I would probably still choose it.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Mapmaker
>>and on open road, you wanna overtake something, all you have to do is
>>boot it and the car gets the right gear and off you go

No.

On an open road, if you wish to overtake something, all you have to do is manually drop it down a gear or two and off you go. Waiting for the kickdown - I loathe that wait.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - pyruse
snipquote!
On an open road if you wish to overtake something all you have to do
is manually drop it down a gear or two and off you go. Waiting for
the kickdown - I loathe that wait.

What wait? My current auto accelerates a lot better than my previous manual car.
Changes much faster than I can.
The americans arent that automotively
gifted but they can atleast make smooth autos.

The Americans are not making many auto's though now, are they? Ford's automatic transmission division was sold to ZF some years ago (they finally gave up trying to make a decent auto and conceded to the Germans). Chrysler's are either re-badged Mitsubishi or Mercedes 'boxes and about half of GM's are actually Aisan-Warner (Japanese) units.
Sorry, that should be 'Aisin-Warner' - or strictly speaking 'Aisin-AW', as they like to be called nowadays.
Aprilia, how many car manufactuers actually make their own autoboxes nowadays? Seems they're all from ZF, Aisin-AW or Jatco. Jatco's now eaten Mistubishi, and you also mention Mercedes, but are there any others out there who make their own self-shifting box?
Aprilia how many car manufactuers actually make their own autoboxes nowadays? Seems they're all from
ZF Aisin-AW or Jatco. Jatco's now eaten Mistubishi and you also mention Mercedes but are
there any others out there who make their own self-shifting box?

Aisin-AW is now the world's biggest autobox maker and seem to sell to almost all the VM's.
Jatco is not far behind. Mitsubishi 'spun off' their Diamondmatic division, but it was bought by Jatco.
Renault and VAG have worked together (with 'mixed' results) on their recent autoboxes, with input from ZF and BorgWarner.
Mercedes-Benz make their own boxes (again with input from BorgWarner - but they are not that great to be honest).

I think for conventional autos in the longer term it will boil down to (in order of size) Aisin-Aw, GM (USA), Jatco, ZF - with BW being a major component supplier.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - FotheringtonThomas
Indeed some people are still scared of driving automatics for some reason!

I had a go in an automatic once, and I wasn't scared of it, but did hate driving it! No thanks.

BTW I think that I've "reported youir message as offensive" by mistake. Sorry, I pressed the wrong thing. I do not in fact see offensive content in yout post. Apologies, again, if I did press that.

{No report came through - DD}
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - henry k
The vast majority of cars in this country are manual.
I can't see that changing too much in the near future especially with CO2-linked road tax. >>Manuals are cheaper to tax and cheaper to buy in the first place.

>>
IIRC A 2L normal auto Mondeo will incur £400 VED.
If it was available, what effect would a DSG type gearbox have on the overall cost /resale value?

What is the latest info on the reliability & repair costs of the current DSG boxes?
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - slowdown avenue
THE END WILL COME WHEN THEY CAN MAKE AUTOMATICS THAT WILL GIVE BETTER MPG THAN MANUALS
When I use my C4 EGS in manual mode, I get worse mpg than when in auto, because in manual I tend to 'give it more berries' (as our Nige (Mansell) used to say).
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Lud
Autos seem to be getting better. Twin clutch thingy needs to prove itself over high mileages though. There are already some autos that do better official economy figures than the manual.

Still, what's wrong with a gearbox, especially one of these silky and indestructible (or almost) modern jobs....Cheaper and still, just, usually, in the hands of an intelligent driver, more economical, and certainly quicker again in the right hands.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - jase1
The short-sightedness of the lobby groups beggard belief sometimes (or is it deliberate?).

By making an important part of a car as complex as these newer autoboxes are is just storing up a big bill for when the car reaches 8 or 9 years old -- at which point it ends up being scrapped, as opposed to the simpler manuals which are usually patched up even if something does go wrong on them.

They should be designing cars that are quick an easy to fix, and so last longer, if they want to curb environmental damage. Everyone knows by now that the creation and destruction of a car constitutes the major part of the damage that car does to the environment, so the ideal should be a simple manual box with a clutch that can be replaced in-situ, like the old Cavaliers used to be.

These overcomplex £3000 autoboxes and manuals where you have to take both box and engine out to do the simplest of tasks are simple carp design.
Still what's wrong with a gearbox especially one of these silky and indestructible (or almost)
modern jobs....Cheaper and still just usually in the hands of an intelligent driver more economical
and certainly quicker again in the right hands.

Are they then used a lot in motor racing?
jase1, I agree with you, but there are 2 problems.

1. Rising affluence means a lot of people change their cars just because they fancy a change, rather than because it is worn out. Cars are becomming more and more a 'fashion' item.

2. The only way to meet ever more stringent emmissions standards is by having computer-control on the various functions of the car. Simple cars (like my old 2CV) pollute more and would never be allowed on the market. Of course to scrap my 2CV and buy a new car would probably increase emmissions overall due to the manufacture of the new car, but greens/politicians often don't see the wood for the trees :-)
>>Are they then used a lot in motor racing?

I don't think you'll see a clutch pedal in an F1 car.
Fothers and bathtub: nor will you see a F1-style 'auto' in a production car.

And I wonder if you've noticed how often they screw up and cause retirements?
nor will you see a F1-style 'auto' in a production car.

Good Lord. I had no idea that they had a sort of "auto" gearbox! Aren't the gears changed by a lever mounted just outside the door any more?

And I wonder if you've noticed how often they screw up and cause retirements?

Unfortunately not. I'm afraid I find F1 rather dull to watch, generally. What is the approximate mechanism of operation of one of these gearboxes?
Search me Fotherington. All I know is that they work by flappy paddles behind the handlebars - you can't call that thing a wheel - and are perhaps similar to the twin clutch twin mainshaft arrangement that does now appear on road cars. But a F1 clutch is tiny by road-car standards, and the whole system works - when it works - absolutely instantaneously transmitting through those little fist-sized clutches the sort of power and torque that everyone except HJ and OldHand can only dream about.

That may be why they sometimes only last five minutes, and very likely have to be renewed between races.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - peterb
I used to hate autos. But I think that was because I'd never driven a really good one. The autobox in my Lexus IS250:

1. churns out less CO2 than the manual;
2. is faster than the manual in the real world;
3. is smoother than the manual;
4. tells you which gear you're in;
5. has a manual (semi-) override; and
6. has 6 ratios.

What's not to like?
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Group B
When I look on Saab forums, the only time you see mention of a 900 Sensonic (clutchless manual), it has either broken and the owner is asking for advice, or it has already been converted to a standard manual.
The preferred option is to scrap the sensonic system and fit a manual clutch rather than have the former repaired.
So I hope the current/ future technology, with its advanced control software to make it driveable, is going to be more reliable in the long term. No doubt it will be, lets hope so.

(Insert comment about Saab reliability here ............).
I wonder how reliable, and how much resistance they met from the motoring public, disc brakes met when they were first introduced into motor sport?
Radial ply tyres?
Alloy wheels?
Limited slip diffs?
Seat belts?
Turbos?
Any more anyone?
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - pyruse
I wonder how reliable and how much resistance they met from the motoring public disc
brakes met when they were first introduced into motor sport?

snipquote!

Well, all of these actually have some use apart from Alloy Wheels.
Why would anyone want alloy wheels? Cost more, easily damaged, look silly.

The resistance to automatics is largely down to perception - the motoring press is always going on about 'driving experience' and such like - neglecting the fact that 99% of driving is done in town or on motorways, in both of which cases an auto is clearly a better option.
Only for motoring journalists testing a car along a nice twisty mountain road does a manual gearbox make sense; for everybody else, it's really a case of the heart ruling the head. Many of those against automatics haven't actually driven one, or have only driven an old fashioned slushmatic.

But given that people will still pay over the odds because of the badge on the fornt of the car, I don't expect things to change any time soon.
No one resisted disc brakes. They were a huge breakthrough bringing cheap, powerful, fade-resistant braking to run-of-the-mill cars for the first time. Everyone who had lived with cheap production four-wheel drums, especially pre-war ones, heaved a sigh of relief. At last! You could go fast without looking for escape roads!

Good drum brakes, which some luxury and sports cars had, were expensive to make and needed proper maintenance. Most cars simply didn't have them. Citroens did though.
in both of which cases an auto
is clearly a better option.

I think the main point is, it's a matter of personal preference and nobody is right or wrong. It's what suits you as an individual.

Apart from my earlier comment on the evils of the torque convertor, there is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from using a good manual gearbox in the most mundane of driving situations. The gearbox and clutch are among the last direct mechanical links between a driver and a car that are not electronically controlled, fly-by-wire or power assisted, and you can actually feel the mechanical components that your hand is moving around. You don't need to be on an Alpine switchback to appreciate that. Call me a fetishist if you want, but I do like to feel that I'm operating a piece of machinery rather than a brace of sensors, switches and potentiometers.

As I said before, automatics definitely have their place in traffic. On a motorway though, I still prefer manual. Any half decent car will pull top happily from 50 mph upwards (even the ropey Ford TD) so shifting isn't an issue, and I can moderate my speed with engine braking, and accelerate now rather than after the slight, but noticeable delay imposed by the torque convertor.

But each to their own of course. It would be boring if we all wanted the same thing.

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Number_Cruncher
DP you're a fetishist!

There, I feel better now!
DP you're a fetishist!

No he isn't. He likes driving cars, not operating throwaway passenger-carrying devices.

So do I actually.
IMO, most of the errors and mistakes are caused by the driver's input - removing the dullard, and allowing the computers to do their work has to be progress. I can't wait for the day when you just enter a postcode, and sit back, possibly getting on with something productive, letting the machine deal with all the low-level tedium of taking you there.

I fail to see how pressing a clutch and moving a gearlever can be so interesting - surely it's one of the last anachronisms, and should have been consigned to the motoring museum many moons ago.

Number_Cruncher

>>Why would anyone want alloy wheels? Cost more, easily damaged, look silly.

Because they reduced the unsprung weight, allowing more rubber to be carried, although the early magnesium alloys had interesting pyrotechnic abilities.
I fail to see how pressing a clutch and moving a gearlever can be so
interesting - surely it's one of the last anachronisms and should have been consigned to
the motoring museum many moons ago.

'... the sensuous exercise of a cluster of skills resulting in rapid or anyway agreeable movement, analogous to a fondness for horses...' (Lud, published essay on the automobile)

There doesn't have to be anything interesting about it, as such.

Still NC, I note that you are often here taking what can only be described as an interest...
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - billy25
The days of "stirring the box of cogs with a stick" cant come fast enough for me, I gave up manual gearboxes by accident, but wouldn't go back - ever!!.
Been "trying" to teach G/f the very basic rudiments of driving in "her" car, (yep, she bought one first as an incentive to pass!), oh! how she tortures the poor beast , trying to "reverse" before shes stopped going forwards, or, how she continually thinks the brake-pedal is the clutch, thats if she remembers that there is a clutch!! but the best is when she changes down to 3rd from 5th at 40, and gets 1st by mistake!
Ban the Man(ual) says I - sharpish!

Billy
By the way, I don't mean to imply that I am left cold by auto gearboxes or automated pushbutton programme-the-satnav-and-start-playing-cards marvels of modern white-goods user-friendliness. I like all vehicles. It's a curse.
I'm afraid that it sounds to me as if she should sell the thing and take up knitting. Less dangerous for others!
I find it quite odd - in most areas of endeavour and innovation, if you removed a tedious repetitive chore it would be a big selling point. The manual gearbox and clutch somehow manages to defy this. Most wouldn't trade their automatic washing machines or dishwashers for the old fashioned equivalent.

OK, there are some effeciency gains in using a manual, but I can't imagine that's the dominant thought which has kept the automatic gearbox down. In years past, there were problems with reliability, but that isn't the problem that it once was.

Perhaps the desire to do something manually that is generally better done automatically can only be defined as some kind of automotive deviance?

Number_Cruncher
Perhaps the desire to do something manually that is generally better done automatically can only
be defined as some kind of automotive deviance?

It's only recently that small autos have been remotely efficient or refined. Ever drive an AP auto-equipped Morris 1100? A bit jerky although oddly more efficient than the refined, slurring slushpumps that worked best, if you didn't mind the waste. Typical BL not to get the thing working properly.

But the point is that the auto is only just becoming capable of the sort of fuel efficiency a manual can achieve. And it is more complicated, less proven, than a manual gearbox and clutch. At one time it would have been heavier too, but I don't know if these DSGs and so on are heavier than manual boxes. To me any simplification is good if it doesn't detract from the car's overall ability.

It's true when you see some people drive you want them to have an auto. But they are probably going to be a danger on the road as well as murderous to their cars.

Conservative with a small c perhaps, but hardly deviant.
I find it quite odd - in most areas of endeavour and innovation if you
removed a tedious repetitive chore it would be a big selling point. The manual gearbox
and clutch somehow manages to defy this. Most wouldn't trade their automatic washing machines or
dishwashers for the old fashioned equivalent.

I *like* changing gear, pressing the accelerator, turning the steering wheel, using the brakes, switching the headlamps on when I want to, ditto the wipers, etc., etc., etc. Unlike "most", I have no desire to drive an autometic washing machine or dishwasher, thank you very much. Sometimes I like driving very old vehicles, which have not the refinements of current ones. To remove the "tedious, repetetive chore" of driving, people ought to be compelled to journey everywhere as passengers, perhaps?
DP you're a fetishist!
There I feel better now!

Why thank you! :-)
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - barney100
It was predicted way back on the invention of auto boxes that manuals would soon be unwanted-----got that right then.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Avant
Interesting discussion which seems to have become a general manual v.automatic debate. No harm in that.

I think that a point worth making is that for an automatic to be enjoyable to drive, the engine needs to have enough torque at low revs, as the starting point is 0 rpm instead of something over 1000 rpm for a manual driven normally (or 4000 rpm for octogenarians in Guildford...). Turbodiesels are particularly affected by this.

I've had 3 automatics but will probably go back to a manual in the near future. The Laguna 3.0 V6 (petrol) and Audi 2.5 TDI were easily powerful enough, but the turbo lag in the current Mercedes B200 diesel is excessive, and recent test drives have shown that other 2.0 litre diesel autos are similarly sluggish until the turbo kicks in. VAG diesels with DSG seem to vary from car to car, for some reason.

But yes, it's a matter of personal preference, not right and wrong. There may even be people who like the drone of a 4-cylinder diesel automatic!
(or 4000 rpm for octogenarians in Guildford...).

Not just Guildford. I frequently enjoy the odour of burning clutch as I watch elderly people parking manual cars which they clearly shouldn't be driving.

In response to Number_Cruncher, I don't know how many backroomers I'm speaking for, but there are several good reasons for wanting a manual gearbox. Availability is the big issue - I easily found the car I wanted with a manual box, finding a decent auto example would've taken forever. Simplicity too - so much more simple (although not necessarily any more reliable) than an auto. My car was bought because it's got a (relatively) simple engine and a simple gearbox. It's rewarded me so far by not going wrong (touch wood).

As for tedium, that argument works both ways. Yes, in a traffic jam or city centre I find it very tedious constantly changing gear and wish I were driving an auto. But for the majority of my driving (A-roads and rural B-roads) I'd find it more tedious if I didn't have the simple act of changing gear to remind me that I'm awake! But, economy difference is negligable in the real world, and the emissions argument only matters to me now that it has a financial consequence. As for "driving experience", driving's what you make it and I've enjoyed myself behind the wheel of an auto as well as a manual.
I frequently enjoy the odour of burning clutch as I watch elderly
people parking manual cars which they clearly shouldn't be driving.

You should visit the High Street in a little town near where I sometimes stay. Small ladies with young children in big cars park 4' from the kerb, and at crazy angles. Perfectly able-bodied people park in the disabled parking bays, the swines. Young fast salesmen try to get into spaces only 1 1/2 times their car length and fail dismally. Youngsters with caps on back-to-front daren't even *try* parking, so park in the bank, or on the double yellows. People park with their wheels on the kerb. Some go to the car park around the corner, and there's much going back'd and forrard to get into a normal space. It ain't just the elderly, by any means at all.
It ain't just the elderly by any means at all.

No I realise there are drivers of all ages who are incapable of even the simplest manoeuvres, and have no awareness of the size of their car. However that certain clutch-smell is particular to elderly people, usually women, who seem to regard 5000rpm as a reasonable engine speed for low-speed maneouvres involving holding the clutch on biting point, whereas I tend to prefer 1000-1500rpm in my own car.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - ukbeefy
I think an automatic seems to induce a completely different driving style - more of a cruising around kind of movement. Certainly I've found it quite hard to drive ordinary autos with much verve and when using kickdown it seems always a bit too much for the circumstances and tends to alarm the passengers! Admittedly all my auto driving has been done in American, S Africa or Australia market cars (and in the latter a pair of Corrolla autos had some of the best most seamless changes of any I have experienced - and always seemed to be in the right gear).

I think some people need the urge to be more in control of a car and also think that they can judge more accurately than the car which gear to be in. I think there's alot of sense to that as an auto can only react to inputs rather than see the road conditions ahead.

I've painted an extreme picture, probably more extreme than my true feelings on the subject. Of course, it would be a travesty to ruin a good small sports car by fitting a torque convertor automatic gearbox. Yes, I do understand the joy of making a good smooth gearchange - particularly when it's a crash box on a truck, where any errors are ear gratingly obvious!

I've enjoyed driving a variety of cars with many types of auto box - I liked the AP gearbox Lud mentioned, although I wouldn't have liked to own one - 40,000 miles between overhauls - eek! Of course I applaud the use of bevel gears to form an analogue of an epicyclic gear train - but then, I'm a bit deviant myself about that kind of thing!

For me, it was a revelation the first time I drove a Senator B, it seemed as though the only way you could tell the change had happened was by watching the rev counter. Not owning a 24 valve Senator B has been one of my larger motoring regrets. It's a shame they're mostly rot boxes now.

Our E300D is a lazy six cylinder diesel automatic. You don't get anywhere in a hurry, but I find the relaxed driving style really suits the traffic I contend with and my driving approach, which is to aim for smooth effortless speed which the passengers don't notice. Looking ahead, and letting of the throttle early is rewarded by a unfussed easy quiet drive. Both SWMBO and I, who are both reasonably keen drivers fight over the keys!**

** OK, so our other car is a 1.6 Astra manual, which doesn't exactly cause many scrabbles for the keys!

Number_Cruncher

Lazy but torquey, NC. A big luxury motor, diesel or not.

People in this society are spoilt rotten. No offence to you obviously.

Big large-engined cars are usually best automatic, anyone would agree. But it isn't budget motoring.

a big luxury motor, diesel or
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Vincent de Marco
A car without an autobox is not a proper car, if you ask me. I'm here to drive, not to touch that stupid stick & pedal all the time.
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western democracy.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - movilogo
My next car will be an auto. They are more relaxing to drive (especially city traffic), has less chance of misuse by inexperienced drivers.

Fuel economy are improving rapidly in autos nowadays. They are also better for non car fanatic people (read those who don't post here :)

more relaxing to drive (especially city
traffic) has less chance of misuse by inexperienced drivers.
better for non car
fanatic people

The Model T Ford had a two-speed epicyclic gearbox operated by pedals. This was because Henry Ford thought the arrangement more driver-proof than contemporary unsynchronised 'crash' gearboxes which could be damaged by clumsy driving (the norm of course then as now).

It seems we have come full circle, in about 95 years.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - normd2
'...clumsy driving (the norm of course then as now). '

oi, leave me out of this... :)
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - Simon H
I intend to stick with manual as long as I am allowed to!

I drive a '97 MX5 and the gear change is possibly the best thing about the car. It is like a rifle bolt. I love clicking it through the gears.

I am actually aware that I have started changing down on my approach to junctions now (I used to just coast up to them in whatever gear I was in).

With a manual you have the ability to change when you want, blip the throttle, make the engine sing, and make the car dance. I don't think you can do that with an auto.

LONG LIVE THE FULLY MANUAL MANUAL

If traffic's a problem, get on your bike and save the car for open country roads. If you haven't got any, move up north.
It is like a rifle bolt. I love clicking it through the gears.

Like the original Lotus Elan, gearchange like a light switch, click-click, fabulous. Or the right-hand remote in a fifties Rolls-Royce in more deliberate mode...

Hardly worth mentioning though. Modern vehicle users - let us be discriminating in our use of the term 'motorist' - just want to hear the whistle of a turbo and a faint whirring noise, all by flexing their right foot without taking their elbow off the windowsill or their other finger out of their nose.

Don't know what they're missing.
Manual transmissions. The end is coming? - mjm
>>Like the original Lotus Elan, gearchange like a light switch, click-click, fabulous. <<

Having driven both the MX5 and the Elan, above, I can say that I found the gearchange to be identical in feel and sound in both vehicles. I am convinced that the MX5 has a tape player linked to the gearlever, with a recording of the Elan gearchange which cuts in when needed!