1999 "banging" when accelerating/cornering - RobJ29A
Hello all I have a new problem with my car.

When accelerating away from junctions, therefore with some lock on the wheel, in second gear there is a banging from somewhere up front. It seems worse when turning right than left. I was assuming its the exhaust - it had a new CAT recently - but I've taken the car back to the garage they've checked the exhaust and they say its located correctly. Any ideas?
99 Megane - "banging" when accelerating/cornering - Altea Ego
CV joint?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
99 Megane - - RobJ29A
Oh carp. I hadn't thought of that. About two months back the car needed a CV gaiter for the MOT. I suppose its knackered then. Are they expensive to do if garaged? How easy/difficult is it to DIY? - I don't mind having a crack I suppose since the front brakes need looking at.

And, just out of interest, do you lose drive when these things actually go bang?
99 Megane - - Dynamic Dave
And just out of interest do you lose drive when these things actually go bang?

Sure do.
99 Megane - - Crinkly Dave
They will rattle for a long while before going bang, but if you are uncertain I would suggest you get it looked at by someone knowledgeable soon. You can try driving on a large carapark, with full lock one way then the other, and the sound is quite different. Again, if you are not sure, get someone who is knowledgeable.

When they go bang, you will lose drive BUT you will also have a drive shaft flailing about and doing lots of damage to inner wings, flexibles etc. You don't want to get it to that point.
99 Megane - - milkyjoe
this must be a plus point for excessivly large out of town superstores
99 Megane - - RobJ29A
Been round a nice big carpark this afternoon, and there wasn't a peep (or a bang!) from up front. I was maneuvering fairly slowly though. It only seems to happen with some lock on the wheel in second and to a certain extent third gears with my right foot right down. Thanks for the advice - I'll pop it down the garage for them to have a look.
99 Megane - - GregSwain
It only seems to happen
with some lock on the wheel in second and to a certain extent third gears
with my right foot right down.

Makes sense - this is when you're transmitting most power through the dodgy CV joint, and therefore putting most strain on it.
99 Megane - - Morpheus
Is a CV joint the same as a driveshaft?!?!

My Citroen Saxo gets the knocking when cornering (and accelerating) and I had to have the driveshafts replaces... Citroen seem to make these parts disposable as I seem to get one done every year...

M
99 Megane - - Dynamic Dave
Is a CV joint the same as a driveshaft?!?!

No. The driveshaft is the metal bar that's between the inner and out CV joints.
99 Megane - - DP
The joints can be removed from the driveshaft and replaced separately, although my Haynes manual for the Scenic tells me that on this car, Renault do not sell them separately, and replace whole shaft assemblies in the case of joint wear. Perhaps Citroen do the same.

Eco unfriendly, and a rip off!

DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
99 Megane - - Lud
If there's a regular clatter linked to road speed, then it's a CV joint. But if it's just a bang, or irregular hard rattle, when accelerating under lock it may be some other component probably in the suspension.
99 Megane - - milkyjoe
a cv joint tranfers the power from a drive shaft to the wheels ,when you turn the steering wheel the wheels turn directionally but the drive shaft stays put (but still rotating) , its a bit like your wrist you can move your hand around but your arm stays fixed, sounds a bit simple but thats it really
99 Megane - - RobJ29A
Lud - thats why I thought it might have been the exhaust, as I put in the original posting. It had the CAT done, which caused the exhaust to start blowing after a week - this was a broken bracket which was fixed. The banging started just after that was done (a while back); certainly no more than three/four weeks after the CAT had been done originally. Still, I'm going to get the car checked over (at a different garage to the exhaust one!) later in the week.

Oh, and for the suspension - that makes a peculiar set of noises which I'm more than familar to me! This little frenchy has a list of maladies that is too long to list here!
99 Megane - - DP
FWIW, the onset of outer CV joint failure is usually a metallic clicking (similar to engine pinking) or light knocking noise on lock at slow speeds under drive conditions (stops when you press the clutch to disengage drive) rather than a banging or anything audible at speed. Failure of the inner joints is usually a rumble or vibration, again under acceleration or deceleration.

Of course, that's only on cars I've owned. The symptoms may vary.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
99 Megane - - Sim-O
I took a mkII golf for a test drive once, and it made that sort of noise.
Giving one of the front wheels a wiggle by grabbing the wheel itself, not the sterring wheel showed the bushes on the lower suspension arm were completly shot.

----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed