Getting rid of a lemon with a long MOT - Rattle
Now I have a new car I need to get rid of my old knackered Fiesta. As mention in another thread it has a long MOT but due to severe valve train wear it dosn't always start first time in the mornings (will change the oil to see if it cures it).

It has 10 months on the MOT and its a 95 N would I be pushing me luck to ask £250 for it and say £250 as engine needs work but drives fine?
Getting rid of a lemon with a long MOT - Stuartli
It's your conscience.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Oh no, I am not going to pretend it is perfect I will be honest about its mechanical condition.
Getting rid of a lemon with a long MOT - Blue {P}
Ebay - it seems to be the best way to get lots of money for old rubbish, even with faults listed some cars seem to go for silly money.

A well written advert with plenty of pictures will sell it nor problem at all and you don't have the issue of lots and lots of tyre kickers.

Blue
Getting rid of a lemon with a long MOT - local yokel
Agree - Ebay is the way to sell this car. Just be straight, and put it on at £0.99 with no reserve.
Getting rid of a lemon with a long MOT - stunorthants26
Selling old tat is about being supposedly ignorant about its faults or rather not drawing attention to them.

One guy who was buying a G-reg Metro off me asked if the sills were ok - I said yes they were, what I didnt tell him was that the rear valance was about to part with the car and was held on with chicken wire and filler, covered in waxoyl! BUT the sills were ok.
He also assumed that the mileage of 60k was correct - I was told by previous owner that it had a new speedo at 20k but since it wasnt documented in the SH, I couldnt be sure what it was so I didnt advertise the mileage and he didnt ask.

If the engine makes a noise, describe the noise but dont offer an opinion as to the cause - sometimes being an expert is costly.
It is the responsibility of the buyer to make sure they have checked what they are buying and aslong as you dont lie, you should be ok.
Getting rid of a lemon with a long MOT - Civic8
>>It has 10 months on the MOT and its a 95 N would I be pushing me luck to ask £250 for it and say £250 as engine needs work but drives fine?

They are selling for around £6/700 round my way with badly sounding engines ie rattly so you should have no problem selling yours.

Getting rid of a lemon with a long MOT - kithmo
If it's an OHV and just the rockers & shaft that are worn, why not fix it with parts from a scrappy and sell it for £600.
Getting rid of a lemon with a long MOT - DP
I agree - should be cheap to fix, and you'll more than recoup that when you sell it, assuming it's fairly tidy of course. Funny, a lot of people slag off Fiestas, but they don't half sell easily, and for good money if they're in good condition.

If you can't be bothered, it's a very cheap car at £250, even with the fault.

For example:

tinyurl.com/2b99ep

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
The problem is its not just the tappets, they valve adjustments are not bad, yet it is very tappety but I have heard worse. There is a right rattle coming from the camshaft area (either chain or cam wear), its running rich, it doesn't start in the morning (hopefully due to wrong oil which I can fix) half the throttle position sensor wiring as been botched by myself, there is rust on the rear shock absorber mounting (not structural yet), the only history it has is the time I've owned it, but the steering, breaks etc all work perfectly.

Oh and did I mention it uses more oil than petrol :D It is a blue smoker and it only got through the mot due to STP stop smoke.
Getting rid of a lemon with a long MOT - Mapmaker
eBay.