99 1 litre- Oil warning light - Seany86
Hi,
My girlfriends corsa has recently developed a problem which i think is related to the oil but I'm not quite sure. Basically after a driving with a few revs the oil light will come on and the car will judder like its in the wrong gear, despite being in neutral. A quick rev of the engine gets rid of the judders and the light. I have noticed that the oil light will only come on under 800 rpm. On occasion he car will also do a similar thing when just starting in the morning. The oil light never remains illuminated for very long. I have checked the oil and its spot on where it should be.

Any help would be much appreciated- if you need more info just ask

cheers

{edited to include pull down menu choice }

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/08/2008 at 19:44

99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - milkyjoe
change the oil filter , if the problem persists think about getting the oil pump looked at
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - Seany86
cheers thanks for the reply will give it a go.
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - Victorbox
This is one of those filter elements in the holder jobs rather than a spin-off filter, so whoever replaces the filter make sure all the seals etc are in place & lined up & using the correct oil grade such as Vauxhall's own 10w/40 semi-synthetic should help.
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - cactuspete
Hi
contrary to popular belief when the oil light comes on its usually because its bin run dry! the red light indicates engines had it ! and NOT a top me up light ! i could be wrong but its worth looking into !! either that or the connections loose .... good luck.
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - Dynamic Dave
contrary to popular belief when the oil light comes on its usually ......

Or crud has got into the oil pressure switch and needs replacing / cleaning.
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - nortones2
Or the oil light is signalling low oil pressure, and the noise is the sound of bearings grumbling......
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - Ruperts Trooper
The possibilities are:-

low oil level (but you've checked that)
completely wrong grade of oil used
faulty oil pressure switch (fit a new one to find out)
very low oil pressure caused by blocked filter (fit a new one to find out)
very low oil pressure due to faulty oil pump or worn bearings (not worth bothering with)

If it was my car I'd do an oil/filter change to eliminate that possibility - replace the pressure switch to eliminate that - take the wire off the switch and sell the car, it's not worth more effort than that.
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - jc2
On many cars the oil warning light will flash when the idle is too slow-if it goes out when you increase the revs,you should be OK.
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - slowdown avenue
if it comes on and stays on ,and sounds rough, its probaly the oil pump, has the car any history of previous work,ie timing chain replacement,
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - the original horse
oil pressure warning light switches fail regulary on these , there most common fault is they usually leak badly and all of a sudden , so i would suspect the switch first. but remember, the 2 faults you describe are not to be considered as one fault . hope that helps.
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - benja187
Alright Seany86, On the off that you'll check this, What was the outcome of you girlfriends Corsa problem?

I've got exactly the same problem and having just replaced the engine i'm terrified its the big end bearings.

Did an oil/oil filter/oil pressure switch change halp?

Cheers, Ben
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - Number_Cruncher
>>Alright Seany86, ...

Seany86 hasn't visited this site for a year - I very much doubt you'll get a reply to your question from there.

However, the original problem sounded to me like nothing to do with the oil, and more to do with a poor, slow tickover after driving some distance.

What, exactly, is the problem you are having? is a poor idle/tickover a part of it?

Hi There

The first (possibly related) problem is when i turn the ignition (cold or hot) it takes longer than it should to 'bite' (5-6 turns), but still starts every time.

While driving at high revs, long enough for the engine to warn up, it seems to be fine. However, once the revs drop, the oil pressre light 'judders' on until idle where it stays on, a light push on the accellerator will make the light disappear(until the revs drop again). This only seems happens when the engine is hot

Not the best explanation, but my problem is almost identical to Seany86's.

Any advice?
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - Number_Cruncher
It's worth making sure that the oil pressure switch is working correctly, and that the oil pressure relief valve is seating correctly.

If the oil light only comes on at hot tickover, I wouldn't worry too much. It's flow, rather than pressure which is important.

Don't be tempted to put thick oil in the engine to compensate.

If, however, the light is on while the engine is turning at speed, there's something more serious to be investigated, and it's likely that there isn't enough flow to keep the bearing surface apart.

Thanks for your help,

I've just ordered a oil new pressure switch of ebay (£5.50 inc. p+p). On closer inspection, it is a bit oily around the connector which goes into the pressure switch. I'll replace it and see what happens and post results.

Cheers, Ben
99 Corsa 1 litre- Oil warning light - yorkiebar
Would be interesting to know mileage of engine too ?