New Mondeo test drive - craig-pd130
Drove a new TDCi 140 manual saloon today (only 20 miles or so).

It was a TitX with standard suspension but optional larger alloys.

Impressions were: VERY quiet and refined. Almost zero road / wind noise. Felt very planted on the road and absorbed bumps without crashing or shuddering.

Steering feels too light initially and could do with a bit more feel but is very accurate. Almost no body roll and very neutral handling, with that nice Mondeo trait of feeling sharper the faster you go.

Initial in-gear throttle response was much softer than my Passat 130 Sport (there was none of the VAG PD-engine thump in the back) but it picked up smoothly and strongly, and the speedo climbed pretty damn quick .... long-travel throttle pedal too.

Overall, refinement and handling are excellent, even on badly-made B-roads.

Looks like my next company car choice is made ...
New Mondeo test drive - rtj70
I nearly got one as next company car except wife liked the Mazda6 (I know a new one soon).

Mazda6 cheaper and drove really well. Better than my current Mondeo TDCi and the engine is a lot more petrol like than the TDCi lump too! Emmisions higher but cheaper due to new model.

What else put me off Mondeo?

- initially lots more on the company scheme via Leaseplan - now dropped a little
- it is very wide and the current Mondeo has car park dings from other car doors - with mirros it's 120mm!
- the fancy HMI interface might be a little too much - it's a car

Looking forward to how early I can get the 6. If not until late October then I'll make sure all things that needs fixing on the Mondeo (apart from rusting doors) sorted so I can rely on it properly.

... but I did so much want the Mondeo but talked myself out of it financially and on size. In 4 years it will be cheap and will get it then.

Remember too the Mondeo is based on a stretched version of current Mazda6. The new Mazda6 (which I don't think I like and also big) also uses the Mondeo platform which is really Mazda ;-) When the 6 came out it was said to be used for the next Mondeo and it kind of is.

Don't forget there is now a Titanium model (no leather, no AFS) which will be around the price of the Ghia. So without that horrid fake wood.
New Mondeo test drive - Pugugly {P}
Saw an estate today - huge !
The saloon is even longer than the estate now. Looks nice though...
Yes - I happened by a Ford Dealer yesterday --- had a chance to look at one close up, certainly not a shrinking violet ! (well it was a metallic brown - funny all of the ones I've seen have been that colour)
New Mondeo test drive - Altea Ego
Thats funny.

Every one I have seen on the road (and you cant miss them) has been that metalic brown.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New Mondeo test drive - cheddar
Have you noticed how the rear lights on the new Mondeo resemble those on the new Maserati GranTurismo?

www.granturismoisback.com/index.html?lang=en

Seriously - no Specsavers jokes!
New Mondeo test drive - boxsterboy
rtj70, I thought the Mazda 6 diesel was the same Ford/PSA 2.0 engine?

I also thought the current Mazda 6 was based on the previous Mondeo, rather than the other way, and that the new Mazda 6 will be based on the new Mondeo?

Perhaps someone else can confirm?
The current Mazda 6 has little in common with the Mondeo (petrol engines), it was reported a few years ago that the new Mondeo would be a development of the Mazda 6 (by HJ IIRC amongst others) though that has not happened however the new Mazda 6 will, I understand, be based on the new Mondeo.
The Mazda6 diesel is far more refined that the TDCi in this car and others I have driven IMHO (and totally Mazda and not PSA/Ford). No contest. On the move at speed maybe not so much in it but the Mazda diesel far more petrol like. It also revs - higher rev limited too so will no doubt enjoy it more :-) My Mondeo always sounds like a transit at idle even in the car. Maybe I got a bad 'un.

The current Mondeo and new Volvo S80 are based on the Ford CD3-2 platform which is itself a revised Ford CD3 platform. The CD3 was Ford/Mazda developed (mostly Mazda?) and used in the current Mazda6. This is what I have read over the years. So when they all claimed the next Mondeo would be based on the Mazda6 platform they were mostly right, including HJ. Fact is the Mondeo and new Mazda6 are both based on a revised Mazda6 platform.
New Mondeo test drive - henry k
>>Have you noticed how the rear lights on the new Mondeo resemble those on the new Maserati GranTurismo?
>>Seriously - no Specsavers jokes!

I see the similarity if I stand on my head ;-))
boxsterboy is wrong on engines. Right on floorpans.
HJ

To be clear HJ, only half right - The current Mazda 6 is not based on the previous Mondeo though yes the new Mazda 6 will be based on the new Mondeo.
I'd read that the new CD-EU (also known as CD3-2) platform used for the new Mondeo, S80 and Mazda6, Mazda CX-7 and CX-9 (?) is a stretched/enhanced CD3 platform. The CD3 platform was used in the current Mazda6. So it looks like the new Mondeo, new Mazda's and new S80 are all based on an enhanced CD3 platform.

Or have I read the wrong websites/magazines?
CDEU and CD3-2 are different, the former is S-Max, Galaxy, Mondeo and various Volvos, the latter various US models, the question is which will the new Mazda6 be based on? Either way while it was speculated that the new Mondeo would be based on the current Mazda 6 it seems that the CDEU is new and independant.
I thought the CD3-2 and CD-EU were one and the same.

Regardless the new Mondeo/SMAX/Galaxy are it seems very good cars. My criticism of the Mondeo is it's a bit too big for our roads and car parks as a family car. But it also has to underpin various Ford-Europe/Ford US/Volvo/Mazda vehicles. They must at last be able to save a fortune! It cost about $1bn to develop but is already being used for many cars.

But the current Mazda6 will do me just fine - I enjoyed driving one on some A roads late at night and thought it sportier than the Mondeo TDCi 130PS that I have. It's a little cheaper than the Mondeo on the company scheme.. but I'll get it just before the new one is out :-(
I was concerned about the size thing, it looked MASSIVE in the showroom but when driving on the Cat & Fiddle road I didn't clip a kerb or bounce on the cat's eyes. I was deeply impressed with the ride, handling & roadholding.
I was more concerned with size when it comes to parking. We often park in Manchester (eg. the carpark under the Ramada off Deansgate) and the current Mondeo is big enough Also had parking dings at the gym carpark.

To late now ordered a Mazda6. Like it in 2003 but not possible on the company scheme.

Hope you looked out for Kamikazee bikers on the Cat and Fiddle road! Normally park up near Kettleshulme and walk across the top - it's good now mostly paved so no more knee deep peat bog.
Yes, there's some great walking around there.

I love the C&F, summer weekends are lovely on the bike (Suzi GT380 triple) but you do get the nutter contingent sometimes. They're dangerous to ALL road users ...
This site never fails to amaze me, from a Mondeo test drive, to walking tours in 17 posts....! Not knocking it, especially the memory of the GT380 but can we wander back on subject ? :-)
New Mondeo test drive - DP
I've seen a few on the road now, and I think it looks best as an estate. Big, but somehow very elegant. Not sure about the rear lights on the hatch.

That PSA/Ford 2.0 diesel engine is one of the best. I recently did a 450 mile round trip to Brussels in a day with a colleague in his 407 2.0 HDi and was very impressed with the refinement, and the deceptive speed of it. That linear delivery makes it feel fairly ordinary performance wise, until you look at the speedo! 100 feels like 80, 60 feels like 40 etc. Absolutely munched that journey in near silence, and still averaged over 50 mpg.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
DP, agreed on the deceptive nature of the speed.

Being used to the VAG PD instant shove (and accompanying rattle & hum), I was disappointed by the Mondeo's pace .... until I looked at how quickly the needle was moving around the speedo, as you say.

The speedo in the mondeo actually is a bit of a joke, it reads to 160mph and the increments are very close together.
New Mondeo test drive - ForumNeedsModerating
The speedo in the mondeo actually is a bit of a joke, it reads to 160mph and the increments are very close together.

Maybe a 'hot' version's on the cards, despite their claims to the contrary?
The speedo in the mondeo actually is a bit of a joke it reads to
160mph and the increments are very close together.

Why, the 2.0 TDCi will do 130-135, the 2.5T perhaps 145, that would be an indicated 150, 160 is about right.