Cross-country Average Speed? - LHM
A couple of recent longer journeys have made me realise how much an average cross-country speed had dropped in the past 25 years or so.

I remember being able to reckon on roughly a mile a minute for a weekend trip home from Harlow to Burnley back in 1981 - accomplished in a ten year-old 1256cc Vauxhall Viva! The idea of managing a 60mph average (where non-motorway roads are involved) today seems optimistic, to say the least.

What do other Backroomers think is a good average speed nowadays - for daytime non-motorway runs?
Cross-country Average Speed? - local yokel
I'd be very pleased with 50, and expect nearer 40, for a daytime journey with little or no dualed roads.
Cross-country Average Speed? - CJay{P}
50mph, at most with light traffic.
Cross-country Average Speed? - OldHand
70 is perfectly possible with a road angel, a healthy disregard for arbitrary limits and a healthy regard for safe progress.
Cross-country Average Speed? - ForumNeedsModerating
My average speed on trip computer over 6K miles says 27mph. I drive mainly in rural areas + duals. Not that I doubt your genuine recall, but averaging 60mph on A-roads/cross country would also mean driving through many towns/villages, with, even in those days, traffic lights, 30mph zones etc. etc. When I used to earn my living on a motorbike in the 80's , I had a young man's disregard for speed limits, but however I rode (weaving through any traffic, always being at the front in traffic light queues, having a bit of 90 or 100 on A-roads/duals, always overtaking etc) averaging around 60mph door-to-door was, on any realistic urban-country-urban type route, very difficult & rarely acheived. I rode BMW's, usually a R100, latterly a K100 - so fast A-to-B machines.

Cross-country Average Speed? - Altea Ego
>I remember being able to reckon on roughly a mile a minute for a weekend trip home >from Harlow to Burnley back in 1981

I think your memory is playing tricks on you A 60mph average on A roads?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Cross-country Average Speed? - tyro
If I'm not driving on motorways, I expect about 40 mph.

That said, in the Highland roads I usually travel, (where there is less traffic) I tend to expect 50.
Cross-country Average Speed? - local yokel
My father was a young Naval officer in the 50s. He and his chums would leave parties/floosies in London at 0600 and be back in Portsmouth for 0730. He remarked a few years ago that it takes about the same length of time now to drive that journey, despite the fact that the A3 is a much improved road.
Cross-country Average Speed? - Altea Ego
despite the fact that the A3 is a much improved road

Except Hindhead of course
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Cross-country Average Speed? - paulvm
Sad I know, but according to car computer I have averaged 43 MPH over the last 30,000 miles in the past 18 months. This has included many trips on motorways and dual carriageways.
Quite a shock really, but then you remember all the hold ups and congestion and it makes sense.
On a trip down to Spain in a different car I averaged 67 MPH.
I know that this is comparing chalk and cheese but it is a fact!
Cross-country Average Speed? - qxman {p}
" 70 is perfectly possible with a road angel, a healthy disregard for arbitrary limits and a healthy regard for safe progress."

I am the only person on this forum who finds a comment like that quite frightening? If that is a serious statement (and not just some macho bragging) then that would mean exceeding all speed limits by a very large margin.
Cross-country Average Speed? - Bill Payer
Until a couple of years ago I used to regularly (at least once a week) drive 160miles to our office. Leaving at 5AM, I have 23 miles of fast (at 5AM!) A road to the motorway, then all m'way to within a couple of miles at the other end. I would drive in the low 90's on the motorway.
Even so, it was really going some if I did the journey in 2hrs 30mins, which is an average of 64MPH.
Cross-country Average Speed? - Cliff Pope
About 100 miles a day in a tank, unless there are too many trees or rivers in the way.
would mean exceeding all speed limits by a very large margin.

It wouldn't. What it would mean is keeping to the speed limit in towns and 'nailing it' where safe to do so at other times. Obviously not in the UK of course ;-)

Cross-country Average Speed? - Happy Blue!
For many years I have assumed an average cross country speed of 45mph with most motorway trips averaging at remarkably enough 70mph. However, going north from Manchester in early hours, I have achieved about 82mpg average, but that is for 210 miles of which 208 are motorway driving with the cruise on 85mph.
Cross-country Average Speed? - madf
Cross country in the 3 counties near to us: Cheshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire - averages 40mph or so unless on dual cabbageway..There are of course muppets on the Leek-buxton and Congleton - Buxton roads who average far more than that.. but Darwinism tends to win in the winter or the wet and any off road activity can involve falls of 20 metres plus whilst sheep introduce moveable hazards ...
madf
Cross-country Average Speed? - ukbeefy
But surely if we are talking non-motorway roads that would mean travelling at 100mph plus for pretty decent periods on A roads to compensate for the periods in town at 30 or less when going around roundabouts/getting to traffic lights. Surely OH you are not advocating exceeding A road speed limits by such a high margin? Also going at such speeds surely puts other drivers and dare I say pedestrians/dog walkers etc in peril given the lack of time for you to take appropriate action at that sort of speed and the fact you may be driving at 2 x the speed of other vehs on the road.
........would mean travelling at 100mph plus
for pretty decent periods on A roads to compensate for the periods in town at
30 or less when going around roundabouts/getting to traffic lights. Surely OH you are not
advocating exceeding A road speed limits by such a high margin? Also going at such
speeds surely puts other drivers and dare I say pedestrians/dog walker

I advocate driving at a speed appropriate to the conditions. That may be significantly higher or lower than the posted limits.

Pedestrians of any sort and other car users wouldn't be at any risk because if I identify them as a hazard my speed would have been adjusted accordingly. Likewise I wouldn't travel so fast that I couldn't stop in the distance I could see to be clear.
Cross-country Average Speed? - Mapmaker
I think part of the difference is the characteristic of non-dual A-roads.

Virtually all decent and useful roads are now dual carriageways. So remaining A-roads are generally unimportant and go nowhere, and are no longer the priority roads.

40 years ago, a major A road was an improved road. Now it is dual carriageway.

You can happily do 90 on the remaining single carriageway sections of the A1.
Cross-country Average Speed? - cheddar
Virtually all decent and useful roads are now dual carriageways. So remaining A-roads are generally
unimportant and go nowhere and are no longer the priority roads.

Just look at how many towns are not served by a dual carriageway!

Also there are many cross country routes that comprise many miles of non dual carriage way that are still the prefered choice such as the A4 between Newbury and Chippenham and my regular A371, A361, A362, A36, B390, A344 to join the A303 dual carriageway at Stonehenge, 40 or so miles of which two sections of the B390 either side of Chitterne are perhaps the fastest.

Cross-country Average Speed? - Aprilia
I am the only person on this forum who finds a comment like that quite
frightening? If that is a serious statement (and not just some macho bragging) then that
would mean exceeding all speed limits by a very large margin.

** and not just some macho bragging **

Nail-on-head I think! He really drives everywhere at 40mph in his Volvo 440.....
Nail-on-head I think! He really drives everywhere at 40mph in his Volvo 440.....

You really want to give it a rest you aren't doing yourself any favours by holding some sort of grudge just because I didn't agree with you once. Sometimes it's better for the old ticker if you just calm down a bit and live and let live. I won't hold it against you though don't worry ;-)

Stating it's possible to achieve an safe average speed of 70mph on A Roads isn't bragging it's a statement of fact and a tribute to driver training.
Cross-country Average Speed? - Stuartli
>>Stating it's possible to achieve an safe average speed of 70mph on A Roads isn't bragging>>

I would suggest it's actually an impossible scenario.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by

I guess the trip computer on my car is wildly innacurate then as I've seen it read an average of 73mph without a motorway or dual carriageway in sight.

I'm also getting you don't get out much motoring wise. Expanding one's horizons is a good thing Stuart.
Cross-country Average Speed? - Lud

Cross-country average of 70-plus is not impossible, but it does demand concentration and application even on favourable roads, and these days is becoming increasingly risky.
You really want to give it a rest you aren't doing yourself any favours by
holding some sort of grudge just because I didn't agree with you once.

Calm down, I was only kidding! I'm sure you don't drive a Volvo 440.....LOL!
Cross-country Average Speed? - barney100
On non motorway or dual carriageway the AA years ago produced a figure of 35 mph which is in my experience is pretty near the truth.
People always over estimate their potential average speed, especially on cross country routes.

The real killer though (although the other half never accepts it) is having to stop every so often for a cup of tea or a toilet break...:-)
I have some sympathy with Oldhand's views, there are many roads (aside from motorways, that's another story) where safe progress is possible at speeds well above the some what arbitary national speed limit.

I mention a route above through Somerset and Wiltshire, there are some stretches of road where 60 is daft, an indicated 90 seems about right, you can see 1000 yds ahead and a 1000 yds behind.

As I have said before raising average speeds reduces journey times which reduces congestion, congestion is as much a causal factor in accident stats as speed.

Cross-country Average Speed? - L'escargot
Going off at a slight tangent, when was the 70 mph limit introduced?

Not that it made much difference to a lot of cars. The quoted top speed of a Hillman Imp was 78 mph but it was impossible to achieve even 70 on normal roads. Even the slightest incline or headwind slowed the car down considerably. And to think that some people talk about "the good old days".
--
L\'escargot.
1965 IIRC as a temporary measure made permanent somewhat later.

A key issue then was speed differential, A35 spluttering, er, cruising at 45 and E-Types coming up behind at 100 +.

We dont have that issue now, all cars could cruise at 80+ all day.
Cross-country Average Speed? - L'escargot
1965 IIRC

There's some interesting information here regarding speed limits and average speeds. tinyurl.com/2fzd5h
--
L\'escargot.
" guess the trip computer on my car is wildly innacurate then as I've seen it read an average of 73mph without a motorway or dual carriageway in sight.

I'm also getting you don't get out much motoring wise. Expanding one's horizons is a good thing Stuart."

If OldHand is genuinely saying that he achieves a 73mph average over any significant distance on a single-carriageway road then I only hope the boys in blue catch up with him before an innocent party is killed or injured. Such an average speed implies peak speeds into three figures. You deserve to lose your license. It is simple arrogance to think you can drive at such high speeds on single carriageway roads and not present a danger to other road users. You sound like an accident looking for somewhere to happen. Single carriage ways are many times more dangerous than dual carriageways and motorways, the death rate is much higher.

Your second sentence is arrogant and undeservingly patronising to Stuart.
>>If OldHand is genuinely saying that he achieves a 73mph average then I only hope the boys in blue catch up with him. Such an average speed implies peak speeds into three figures.

Depends how he measures it. If you leave Alnwick and press the trip meter when you pass Hardy's, and you stop at Chaddington, then those 70 miles can be reasonably safely undertaken at 75mph, slowing only for the cameras and a couple of roundabouts, giving 73 average speed.

Otherwise you are absolutely correct and I hope that if he kills himself he doesn't take anybody else with him.
Depends how he measures it. If you leave Alnwick and press the trip meter when
you pass Hardy's and you stop at Chaddington then those 70 miles can be reasonably
safely undertaken at 75mph slowing only for the cameras and a couple of roundabouts giving
73 average speed.

>>

Yes, I agree. Thats why I said 'significant distance'. You could obtain an average speed of 73mph by driving at this speed over a 1-mile stretch. But I assumed he meant obtaining a 73mph average over many miles.
>Yes I agree

No I don't, quite! The above journey is 70 miles and is quite possible at that sort of average speed with little risk of damaging accident. But to do it door-to-door is impossible without breaking the speed of light.
Cross-country Average Speed? - helicopter
Mapmaker - You have intrigued me -- where is Chaddington??

I went to school in Alnwick and know Northumberland very well indeed and don't recall any place within 70 miles of Alnwick of that name.

Did you mean Haddington near Edinburgh?

Certainly the A1 and other A roads in Northumberland used to be a good for 'making progress'.

>>Expanding one's horizons is a good thing Stuart.">>

I''ve driven many, many thousands of miles both in the UK and abroad over the past 40 odd years and in virtually every type of car on the market - anyone attempting to maintain an AVERAGE of 70mph over any reasonable distance cross country is not thinking either logically or straight.

I hold a high performance/safety driving course certificate from the Paul Ripley organisation in Leeds, but would never even think of attempting such a driving feat.

As I suggested previously, most people over estimate the potential average speed they can achieve, no matter what the type of journey.
Cross-country Average Speed? - Nsar
I think the OP has been sniffing the unleaded...

Via Michelin makes that journey an average of 45mph and that's with half of it done on motorways!
Which journey Nsar, I haven't mentioned any journey. At least try reading what people have written.

Then consider I don't live in the UK and that I drive a high performance car easily capable of stopping as quickly from 120mph as most people's cars stop from 70mph and do it time after time after time.
Nsar very clearly indicated he was referring to the Harlow to Burnley trip.

Well, Old Hand as this is clearly a thread about UK speeds, on a UK motoring forum, you cannot be surprised if people react badly to your descriptions of driving in foreign climes when the average reader will infer that they are in the UK!
I though Nsar saying OP was some sort of insulting shorthand for me! If not, sorry.

I haven't described driving in foreign climbs exclusively. Neither am I bothered if the 'speed is bad' brigade (who are mostly clueless IMO) get their knickers in a twist.
Cross-country Average Speed? - FotheringtonThomas
Then consider I don't live in the UK

Then I think you should make that plain when you write, to save having to make excuses afterwards.
Speeds well into 3 figures? Naturally.

Speed doesn't kill, innapropriate speed kills and I certainly haven't 'attempted' to maintain an average of 70mph it was merely what I've seen on the computer after a bit of enjoyable driving.

In fact I'll enrage you still further by saying I averaged well over 80mph on roads that weren't dual carriageway.

Please note not everybody lives on that restricted little island you seem so obsessed with.
>>Please note not everybody lives on that restricted little island you seem so obsessed with.>>

So you have deliberately wasted other forum members' time - you must have been perfectly aware that it would be assumed you were speaking about UK roads - and probably been smirking throughout.

The natural response to such chicanery is to take anything you state in future with the proverbial (and very large) dose of salt.
Cross-country Average Speed? - nortones2
When was the last time you have driven in the UK? As for the "inappropriate" slogan, thats a glib and meaningless cop-out. Before an incident you might claim "no risk", but you're in denial if you think that high speed on non-M way standard roads is risk free. Its the risk to others that's important. Glad you don't drive here: maybe you can't?
Nortones- 'innapropriate speed' is what causes danger and unnaceptable risk it isn't glib or meaningless it's the perfect way of describing the main cause of accidents. Sometimes 20mph could be innapropriate.

Nobody has claimed no risk either, every time you get behind the wheel of a car you engage in an activity which is all about calculated risk. 10mph, 60mph, 120mph the speed is irrelevant.

The last time I drove in the UK was a few months ago and I'm happy to say that I legally drove in excess of 150mph.

Speed doesn't kill >>

No, hitting something kills, 150mph without hitting something is safer than 30mph with hitting something. Which is wide road design and congestion should be tackled as opposed to ever decreasing speed limits.
Cross-country Average Speed? - flunky
snipquote
No hitting something kills 150mph without hitting something is safer than 30mph with hitting something.

Yes, but if you do hit something at 150mph, you'll die.

E.g., if the wheel comes off your car, you swerve to avoid an obstacle and go into the central reservation, etc.
If you hit something at 70mph you'll probably also die, likewise 80, probably at 60 where do you draw the line?

Follow this line of logic to it's conclusion and you'd never leave the house......in fact you'd probably never get out of bed.
Cross-country Average Speed? - flunky
People always over estimate their potential average speed especially on cross country routes.
The real killer though (although the other half never accepts it) is having to stop
every so often for a cup of tea or a toilet break...:-)

I find the killer is parking - I'll allocate 30 minutes for a 23 mile journey across motorway and A road, and then get there, but finding the spot, parking up, getting the family out can take another 10 minutes.
I've seen crahses on cross country roads where an unseen tractor... etc..
madf
Guys

I have come to the conclusion that 'OldHand' is simply a 'Troll'. He enjoys winding people up. Don't take the bait!

As for "stopping from 120mph quicker than most cars from 70mph" - I have seen this sort of dangerous nonsense before from people with no engineering or scientific background. Even 'run of the mill' braking systems are excellent these days, so the braking system is not really any longer the limiting factor for 95% of modern cars - its the adhesion limit of the tyre. Unless you can bend the laws of physics (which apply even outside the UK!) you'll struggle to beat 1g retardation.

The deceleration due to braking for a car is:

a = k_s g

k_s is the coefficient of static friction for the two surfaces (tyre on road). Even for an excellent tyre on high-grip road surface you would struggle to beat a figure of 1.2 The very best braking performance is therefore around 1.2g. Years ago I did tests at MIRA on lightweight sports motorbikes fitted with premium brand tyres and we got around 0.9-0.95g If you overdo it and ABS cuts in the the figure will be well below 1g (this is what normally happens in real life).

If you know the velocity when the brakes are applied, the braking distance is:

d = v t - \frac{1}{2} a t^2

So basically all cars fitted with similar tyres tend to have similar braking distances, and the difference between braking distances (on dry roads , before ABS kicks in) tends to be similar. The same applies to maximum cornering force that can be generated.

To do the calculations properly then you have to factor in things like weight transfer (relating to Centre of Gravity, roll, pitch etc) but none of them make the results better, only worse.
I have come to the conclusion that 'OldHand' is simply a 'Troll'. He enjoys winding
people up. Don't take the bait!
Unless you can bend the laws of physics (which apply
even outside the UK!) you'll struggle to beat 1g retardation.

You really need to let go of this vendetta you seem to have against me, quite honestly I think it's consumng far too much of your posting time and it can't be doing yor blood pressure much good, you really sound awfully bitter. I wouldn't dream of winding anyone up what would be the point? I'm just sharing my opinions.

It's true to say that a car equipped with top quality wide tyres, massive fade free 8 pot ceramic brakes will out perform a standard eurobox, despite it's weight. I think even someone as clearly biased as you will admit that.

Factor in better observation and thus reaction times and I'm certain my braking times will be much shorter than your average driver who passed his test and then left driver development on the back burner.
For the sake of clarity I was refering to the Harlow to Burnley trip in the OP.

Cross-country Average Speed? - Lud
As for "stopping from 120mph quicker than most cars from 70mph" - I have seen
this sort of dangerous nonsense before

I was at school in the mid-fifties with among other people a rich Italian aristocrat with good clothes, a scornful manner and a foghorn voice. When the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint was announced, this guy bawled that it could stop from 100mph in six feet (!!!). He responded very badly to my suggestion that if it could, which of course it couldn't, the result would be serious injury to driver and passengers (no seat belts in those days of course). But he just wouldn't listen, so one shrugged and walked away.

Five years later I heard he had killed someone in a car crash. Don't know what the car was but he had some money. Some people just aren't amenable to reason.

I don't know whether OH is a troll, but he certainly does his best to make us envious.
>>he certainly does his best to make us envious.

Not me, Lud!
he certainly does his best to make us envious

Speak for yourself. I'm quite happy with my boring life. Beats death!
Sadly some of the comments above equate speed with danger. I'll say it again. Inappropriate speed is dangerous.

Many of the 'speed kills' brigade are precisely the sort that don't adjust their speed to match the circumstances and are in fact the dangerous ones on our roads.
Cross-country Average Speed? - mjm
I'm going to stick up for Oldhand, here.

It is possible to make good average cross country speeds. Oppertunity comes into play as much as anything, together with knowing the road. I used to do a south Gloucestershire to Wrexham and vive vesa run quite often. Cross country via Shrewsbury, Leominster and cut across to Gloucester via Newent. Late Sunday afternoons in the summer, after the tourists and Sunday afternoon "see the countryside" road wanderers had disappeared and before the Sunday evening out for the night traffic, the road was near deserted.

I put no-one at risk, including myself, apart from the normal "risk" involved in doing anything. This never involved blasting through villages etc. Only speed which was safe for the prevailing circumstances (which change continuously) was used.

Knowledge of the road, the vehicle, the driver's limitations, weather conditions all play their part. Concentration on what is happening and reacting to the circumstances is the key. The ability to wipe sufficient speed off before the possibility of panic braking also helps.

In reality no speed limit is "correct" for all vehicles/drivers/situations.
You really need to let go of this vendetta you seem to have against me
quite honestly I think it's consumng far too much of your posting time and it
can't be doing yor blood pressure much good you really sound awfully bitter. I wouldn't
dream of winding anyone up what would be the point? I'm just sharing my opinions.

No 'vendetta' and no bitterness, I assure you. Its very entertaining in fact. I can smell the BS a mile away!
It's true to say that a car equipped with top quality wide tyres massive fade
free 8 pot ceramic brakes will out perform a standard eurobox despite it's weight.

Ah, so are you really Lewis Hamilton then? I know he's been driving outside the UK quite a lot recently and has achieved some high average speeds 'across country'. LOL!
Cross-country Average Speed? - Tim
It also depends where you live, what time you travel etc etc. For instance, I recall travelling back from a wedding on Saturday night (left at midnight) on the west coast of mid Wales back to Southampton (approx 220 miles) in 3 hrs 05 mins, keeping to all non-nsl speed limits.... the joys of the A44 in Wales :-)

Living in areas with heavily congested roads is a completely different scenerio.....
Cross-country Average Speed? - nortones2
Lets briefly examine speed and inappropriate speed. The first is where 120mph does not result in an incident. The second is where the speeder is found out. Its passing strange that most speeding convicts are male, and the death rate (received and imposed) is highest for younger males, but also their male elders, and for both is greater than for females. Aggressive driving has its pay-back. Source: brake.org.uk/resources/downloads/Road_deaths_and_i...f
Brake aren't what I'd call a creditable organisation and aggressive driving has nothing whatsoever to do with making fast, effecient progress.

Probably some of the people that think it does would do well to read this and then get some training.

www.drivinghandbook.co.uk

As for the comments made by the increasingly tragic sounding guy with the grudge you're just making yourself look a bit sad. I have no idea what you think is 'BS' but this board isn't the place for that sort of behaviour.
the link is censored for some reason most likely the h t t p.

www.drivinghandbook.co.uk

{As per the previous time you posted this link - The swearfilter picked it up as the first part of the link was the same as another banned link. Link now corrected again - DD}
I enjoy reading OldHand. Stop knocking him.

His outlook is refreshingly different. We know he is :
a better than average driver whoconcentrates more on his driving than normal people
drives a faster car than most
recognises appropriate roads on which to speed and dangerous areas.

We should be grateful he deigns to grace this BB with his presence.

:-)

www.poetry-online.org/eliot_macavity_the_mystery_c...m
madf
Old Hand, let's accept your word that you're the best driver here and could wipe the floor with any of us.

Can we leave it at that?

Cross-country Average Speed? - Pugugly {P}
Can we leave it at that?

Yes - agreed - PU Mod. - Thread locked.