Can a PCP be ended early - Ford Dagenham
Hello

A friend of my wife has a new pcp contract with ford.

She has a ka (Not another one)

She is unsatisfied with the fuel economy and wants to change to a Diesel Fiesta. (She drives 300 miles a week)

Can the PCP contract that she signed for 3 years be shortened to 2 or even scrapped?

All help and tips appreciated.
--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
Can a PCP be ended early - L'escargot
pcp contract with ford.

Ford itself, or a finance company via a Ford dealer?
--
L\'escargot.
Hello

I think she said ford.

Ford options i think.
--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
Can a PCP be ended early - local yokel
>She drives 300 miles a week and she wants to change to a diesel Fiesta.

Has she costed this? Hard to imagine that she will save any money on this mileage and the increased cost of the Fiesta. There will be an additional cost on top of the PCP for the miles in both cases as well I expect.
Can a PCP be ended early - Falkirk Bairn
Cancellation charges will be much greater than savings on the fuel. Keep the Ka for the full term - then buy a diesel or get one on PCP.

Cancellation charges can be as high as 90% of the rentals.
Can a PCP be ended early - Mapmaker
I'd suggest asking Ford. It might not be as expensive as you imagine, or it might be much more expensive than you imagine. Who can say. They may need an extra vehicle to hit a target.
Can a PCP be ended early - Bill Payer
I think this is the big disadvantage with PCP's - they're not very flexible. You can insure against sickness / redundancy etc (although that can add significantly to the cost) , but not against simply changing your mind, or if your type of use changes.
Can a PCP be ended early - Big Bad Dave
I ended a PCP early back in the late 90s when I went self employed. If memory serves, I sold the car privately, paid off what I owed and that was it. Don't recall any penalties. It probably only had a few months to run though.
Hello

She is using £40 of Petrol a week.

She has spent nearly £500 on fuel since the middle of april when she purchased the car.

She has said with a diesel fiesta she will nearly halve that because most fiesta 1.4tdci owners nearly get 600 miles to a tank which is double what she is getting now couple that with £35 tax she must be able to make a saving.

Am i correct in my calculations
--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
>>couple that with £35 tax

Swap one brand new car with another to save £35???????? What world is that?
Can a PCP be ended early - retgwte
be careful Ford Options is highly negotiable, if youre paying the first price a random garage quotes you are paying too much

Can a PCP be ended early - local yokel
At a rough calc she's getting 45 mpg, based on the figures you have given. She will drive 15,000/yr, so use 333 gallons of petrol.

Say the Fiesta does 55 mpg - she will use 272 gallons. Saving of 60 gallons, at £4.50/gallon = £270, at best, call it £250 for the real world.

Will cancelling the Ka PCP, and taking out a PCP on the Fiesta save her more than £750 over three years? I doubt it.
www.carpages.co.uk/guide/ford/ford-fiesta-zetec-1....p

Fuel Type - DieselFuel Capacity43 litres / 9.5 gallons
Combined Fuel Consumption62.8 mpg - ManualRange to Empty594.0 milesFuel cost per 12,000 miles£839.14 or £0.070 per mile
Cost of Fuel used in calculations£0.966 - Diesel

Don't know which Ka it is, but:

www.carpages.co.uk/guide/ford/ford-ka-1.3i-8v-luxu...p

Fuel Type - Unleaded PetrolFuel Capacity40 litres / 8.8 gallons
Combined Fuel Consumption43.5 mpg - ManualRange to Empty382.7 milesFuel cost per 12,000 miles£1,197.66 or £0.100 per mile
Cost of Fuel used in calculations£0.955 - Unleaded Petrol

so at 15,600 miles per annum, extra cost of petrol over diesel at 3p per mile is £468 per annum.

On the other hand, if she is using £40 petrol per week to do 300 miles, that suggests 13p per mile, or (at 95p/litre) 7.1 miles per litre or about 32mpg. The fuel economy problem has more to do with her right foot than the Ka.

Tell her to drive at 60mph. Or to buy a 1999 1.8 Vectra like mine that does 44mpg at a steady 70.

Except... if she has spent nearly £500 on fuel since mid-April, i.e. 17 weeks, that suggests she is actually spending under THIRTY pounds a week... which puts her fuel consumption down to 10p per mile.

Diesels go further between refuelling because they have 43 litre tanks, not 40 litre.

One way or another, the numbers are wrong.
600 miles to a tank which is double what she is getting now

Do a lot of people assume that fuel tanks are all the same size? My Merc C270 easily does 600 miles to the tank - suggest she gets one of those!
Can a PCP be ended early - Avant
She can end the PCP agreement easily enough - there should be no penalty as such, but there will be a lot of negative equity in the car, as in year 1 it will depreciate fast, and also the instalments being paid off consist mainly of interest.

At 15,000 miles a year the diesel / petrol argument is marginal anyway. As others have said, she should stick with what she's got. Kas are fun to drive and can be reasonaby economical driven with a light right foot.
Can a PCP be ended early - boxsterboy
Tell her to let the handbrake off, that should improve the economy!! :-)
She probably has her handbag hanging off the choke,
Can a PCP be ended early - Pugugly {P}
If she found the choke to hang it on she deserves a medal and not a potentially sexist comment ! ;-)
Hello

I will pass all the good comments on to her.

I will not pass the sexist jokes on.

Having been driven around by my older sister i can testify that i had to hold onto the door handle especially around corners.

The granddaughters ka is also a bit thirsty and i know she does not drive too fast.

Many thanks for the replies.

P.s In my replies iam only quoting what the wifes friend has said re fuel tank size etc

--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
Can a PCP be ended early - redmires
If the penalties are severe there is a site where you can sell on your lease. I have no personal experience of it but it may be an option

www.swap-a-lease.co.uk/

R