Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - joenormal
We hear it every morning; Sally Traffic - Accident on the M99. Delays all over. I was on the M1 to Leeds Monday and we were an hour stood just picking our noses, because there was a four car pile up down the line, complete with Ambulance and Bobby support!

How do these accidents happen? Who causes them? Are the drivers asleep? How much does this really cost? I think we should be able to sue the idiots who caused it

them, surely there must be some redress against foolish drivers! We see them every morning weaving, darting, tail hugging!

Comments please, I find it so infuriating.

Subject line changed to clarify discussion point - PU
Accidents & Delays - Civi redress ? - ablandy
Perhaps you should consider yourself lucky you were only delayed and not seriously hurt or worse.

Whenever i go past a bad accident thats made me late, i always think "im may be late, but at least im going home to my family".

Accidents & Delays - Civi redress ? - Chris White
I can't see how you can any redress against people who cause accidents. Unless some authority took the details of everybody who was held up and then when the insurance company decided who was to blame they then give a few pounds to each of the people who were held up............ ;-)

Chris
Accidents & Delays - Civi redress ? - joenormal
Precisely ! But if a maddo, crashed into YOU! I bet you family would not be pleased!
Accidents & Delays - Civi redress ? - 1066
in the last 2 weeks I've spent at least 10 hrs of my life sat still in the car cos some people cant obey by the driving rules.
i'm sorry but im fed up also of them wasting my time and the phrase "i am not my brothers keeper" comes to mind.
but from what ive seen its the police and fire services that hold up most of the traffic.
Sunday night had to sit for an hour because the m25 was closed and all traffic being sent down m26, when i saw the seen of the accident it was all cleaned up except the damaged car that was on the hard shoulder but still 20 police cars and 5 fire appliances sitting there not doing anything. it was a further 2 hrs after i went past until it was reopened.
Accidents & Delays - Civi redress ? - Westpig
the reason why the road remains closed or partially closed for longer than may seem reasonable is often because the average British driver seems to drive with no sense whatsoever. Some people are total imbeciles.

If they're not held back, they will run you over; drive in between the emergency vehicles and the crash; drive in between the tow truck and the car it's trying to lift; not slow down; etc; etc. It can be most dangerous......it's not my speciality, but over the years i've had my foot driven over and had to run for it...and that's not on a motorway where the speeds are much higher.

You can often be waiting for a tow truck to move a damaged vehicle and not wish to spill engine oil, coolant etc all over a carriageway and/or tear great chunks out of the tarmac with damaged bodywork etc.

In other words it's not always what it seems.

Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - L'escargot
them surely there must be some redress against foolish drivers!

What sort of redress do you want? Sueing generally means trying to extract money from someone to compensate for a financial loss they have caused you ~ how much did they directly cost you on this occasion?
--
L\'escargot.
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I spent 2 hours in a stationary train at Kings X on Monday evening, getting home at 3am instead of 1 am. This was because some troubled person had decided to end their life by jumping off a bridge onto the track. All very sad but it was their choice and as a result scores of people were inconvenienced while the scene of this death was treated as a scene of crime. Get the victim off the track and let people who enjoy life get on with it.
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - ablandy
im dumbfounded that you lot are complaining about being late home when someone has died!

The trains are cleared as soon as they are able, because every delay is costing the trains co.s money. How do you know it was a suicide and not a murder? You dont. the police need to investigate and collect up the remains.

If you are directly involved in an accident then you have redress. If not, count your self lucky.

As for the "maddos" - now you are aware of these so-called maddos, drive accordingly.

Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - LHM
This was because some troubled person had decided
to end their life by jumping off a bridge onto the track. All very sad
but it was their choice and as a result scores of people were inconvenienced

I take it you're not applying for that job with The Samaritans, then.
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - LHM
I can sympathise with you to some extent. Thankfully, my work is now very local and I no longer get held up in monster motorway jams. However, I do still occasionally listen to Radio 2 and find the traffic news pretty depressing - makes me wonder if we should have a "National Let's See If I Can Drive Properly Day" every now and then.....

Also, the use of the word 'accident' grates a little - as if there was nothing anyone could have done to prevent it :-(

As for any financial redress..... highly unlikely, to say the least.
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - Blue {P}
Does anyone on here know how long it actually takes to mop up the remains when somebody is hit by a lorry or a train? I'm not suprised that there are big delays when someone is hit by one of those things.

Even with a fair few officers with strong stomachs it takes a lot of walking to pick up the innards and entrails that are inevitably strewn over about half a mile after a really bad splat.

The same goes for lorries, I know of someone getting hit on a local road many years ago, it needed several bin liners to pick all of the bits up, I think the mods will have a fit if I actually relay the really gruesome bits, but suiffice to say it wasn't nice for the people who had to clean the road up.

It's no wonder that the roads are closed for ages, I'm damned sure that if one of my loved ones was killed in an accident I would be demanding answers if the Police said "sorry, we can't prosecute as we didn't collect any evidence in case we held up some people from getting home".

Blue
Any death is a tragedy for those involved or their nearest and dearest, whether in a car accident (motoring aspect) or any other way. However, suicide is a personal private matter and should be kept that way, at home with booze and pills or whatever method is chosen. Leaping off a bridge onto a busy motorway is not the best or most convenient way and brings inconvenience to many and uncalled for stress to other (see Blue's post above).
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - Lud
Leaping off a bridge onto a busy motorway is not the best
or most convenient way and brings inconvenience to many and uncalled for stress to other

Quite agree AS. In my view anyone who chooses to drive in a suicidal manner because they are depressed is a screaming carphound who ought to be prosecuted if they survive.

I have met one or two such over the years and they are frightfully conceited. Think they are romantic heroes.

Ought to be in the slammer on bread and water. Give the brutes something to feel suicidal about.
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - madf
"I have met one or two such over the years and they are frightfully conceited. Think they are romantic heroes. "

There's one on the "Cross country average speed " thread
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=54...3

winding everyone up just now and pretty obviously a muppet imo.
madf
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - Mapmaker
If somebody's life is so miserable that they want to end it, it is inconsiderate for them to make everybody else's life miserable by delaying them too.

If I am killed in a crash on the motorway I should like to be shovelled out of the way as quickly as possible so that my death does not cause misery for others. If somebody evades prosecution as a result, then so be it. My life (particularly once it has gone) is not worth closing the M25 for 6 hours on Friday afternoon. Revenge doesn't bring the body back to life.
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - krs one
Where death and serious injury is involved it's a different matter , let the emergency services take as long as they like.
What gets me is when you have 2 lanes closed and no attempt to move the vehicles involved just because one car has rear ended another , causing nothing worse than some broken glass on the road.
The truth is the vast majority of road accidents are very minor yet still cause huge delays.
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - Xileno {P}
I don't think we want to encourage more litigation in this already litigious society. Except for those idiots who stage accidents for insurance fraud, no one plans to have an accident. People need to relax, what's a few wasted hours in the course of a life?

Litigation mostly just benefits the legal profession anyway.
Litigagtion is what is encouraged by this treatment of accident sites as crime scenes. Investigation leads to litigation and not necessarily by CPS against one of the parties involved. As an aside, at my age a few hours could be 10% of the rest of my life! I have better things to do with it than sit on a motorway, closed by a forensic team!
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - mike hannon
As long as seven years ago the Force I worked for stopped using the word 'accident' to describe motor crashes or collisions.
Accidents & Delays - Civil redress ? - rich66
Also the use of the word 'accident' grates a little - as if there was
nothing anyone could have done to prevent it :-(

I agree completely with this.

I for one would like to know the outcome of these investigations to find out what the actual causes of everyday incidents are.

Are they all the result of a particularly stupid action, or are they due to carelessness which is considered 'normal' and 'safe' by the majority of drivers? For example, most drivers tailgate (consider especially the time when someone is changing lane - either the front or back of their car is often very close to the car infront/behind). In other words, is this standard of driving OK until something out of the ordinary happens when they find that they have not left any margin for error?

I think the 2 hour delays are just payback time for all the cumulative minutes won by people trying to rush. If everyone drove carefully they may lose a few minutes every day but be inconvenienced by a crash much less frequently.