00 Primera steering clonks - jase1
2000/X Primera P11E 1.8 (QG18DE), 78,000 miles.

Before I take this in be looked at, thought I'd seek some advice on here first.

Occasionally this car is wandering over bumps in the road, rough/potholed bits, and speed bumps. It's only an instantaneous thing, and the steering seems to quickly "catch up" with itself afterwards. This also manifests itself in a vagueness in the steering at times -- usually the car's steering is pin-sharp, and continues to be although it does seem generally a little more vague than usual.

Also noticed the occasional clunk coming from the steering/suspension, at lower speeds only, going over bumpier roads. Particularly concerning is the fact that the steering thunks when moving the wheel from side to side when stationary, although the front wheels appear to be moving OK without any play between the clonks. This happens regardless of whether the engine is running, so is not a PAS-related issue.

Not sure what to think to be honest -- my first thoughts were a suspension overhaul (track rod ends, ball joints etc) but the steering clonks make me think possibly something more serious (rack??).

Any help gratefully received.
00 Primera steering clonks - De Smythe
Knocking when going over bumps or rough roads is almost certain to be worn front suspension bushes, a common problem on this shape Primera. I had exactly the same symptoms on my previous Primera a few years ago and garage changed them easily. Not sure about the steering - as you say, normally the P11 has razor sharp steering that shames most rivals even today.