Sat Nav Questions and Answers Vol 2 - Pugugly {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 3 *****

In this thread you may ask any Sat Nav based question.

No Questions About PCs (Unless its about the Sat Nav Interface). Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No Speeding, speed cameras (Unless its linked to SatNav features)
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

This will hopefully give an easily searchable One Stop Shop for Sat Nav information.

This is Volume 2. It will not be deleted when it reaches a 100 posts, just locked and a new Volume started.

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Previous Volumes are :- HERE

Edited by Webmaster on 27/12/2007 at 21:30

TomTom 520/720 - rtj70
Before you all rush out and think there are great deals on TomToms, bear in mind there are some new ones with new maps and new features.

The 520/720 more expensive than the TT Ones but some (not all) differences:

- Lithium Polymer battery (5 hours vs. 2 ish)
- FM transmitter (so tune the radio into the Tomtom 520/720)
- Voice recognition
- Edit maps!
- Free SD card slot so put your music in and play... via FM transmitter even and voice naviagation via speaker

Check it out... and PCWorld Business are quite cheap. Relatively.
Sat Nav thefts, exploratory thieves. - oilrag
Topic,

`The Sat Nav theft dilema, leave the doors unlocked? or risk damage from an exploratory break in`

The local rag has just advised that that 500,000 Sat Navs were stolen from cars last year, some areas have a 2,000% increase and some police forces are giving out a free yellow duster, to wipe the sucker marks off the screen.

But what happens when more people wipe off the sucker marks? won`t it just encourage random window break ins by thieves, in particular to vehicles that commonly carry them?
With small vans, such as mine, lots are seen with Sat Navs on the road, but then, so are *lots* of other cars in general.

Its a drag, taking the Nav unit off the screen, wiping off the sucker marks, pocketing it... and really needing to do this before arriving at the actual car park/service area where it will be left for a while.
( A mate had his car broken into at a M1 service area minutes after putting his briefcase in the boot)

It really makes me wonder whether its going to be safer just to leave it unlocked at service areas when its empty and avoid the smashed windows and damaged door skins as locks are forced. ( as happened to one of our cars on the drive once)

OK, A bit tongue in cheek......... as I`m aware of insurance implications....... but.....?

Sat Nav thefts, exploratory thieves. - oilrag
Thanks for moving my above post Pugugly, I didnt see this thread
Sat Nav thefts, exploratory thieves. - spikeyhead {p}
It really makes me wonder whether its going to be safer just to leave it
unlocked at service areas when its empty and avoid the smashed windows and damaged door
skins as locks are forced. ( as happened to one of our cars on the
drive once)

A friend used to leave her car unlocked.

Someone still broke in through the drivers window even though the door wasn't locked.

--
I read often, only post occasionally
Tom Tom Go 700 mounting kits - paul45
Afternoon all

Managed to break my tom tom suction cup part of the mounting kit for my TT go 700, had a look on e-bay and you can get the replacement part (i.e. the suction cup cone which fits onto the mount itself for £14.99 + postage.)

However I was wondering if any BR's had experience of different ways of mounting the TT go 700 (don't really want to use a vent mounting kit though - I like my supply of fresh air).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Paul
Tom Tom Go 700 mounting kits - Pugugly {P}
Be very careful, there are lots of seemingly genuine parts on e-bay and they're not. I was bidding on one but warned by a third party that the seller was selling rubbish ones.

PU
Tomtom 1 Europe - wotspur
I prefer knowledgeable B.R. comments to reading booklets or asking the shop I bought it from so here goes.
I have the above machine, and yesterday I went from Weybridge to an area just outside the congestion zone, near Paddington -it sent me up via Hammy and thru the C.C then out the other side. Prior to tomtom , I'd have used the A-Z and gone up the M40, and avoided the c.c
The question is, is there a part of the programme that I need to update to include the new boundary for the c.c.,and so to avoid unnecessary costs.
many thanks
Tomtom 1 Europe - Altea Ego
I think you need a new map update, for which you might be required to pay.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Tomtom 1 Europe - tr7v8
Basic default set up is whether it asks about tolls or not. If you set it to ask then you can say no to using CC zone.
Tom Tom Go 700 mounting kits - paul45
Cheers PU - although the feedback looks good, as much as that can be trusted.

Just wondered what other BR's thought of alternative mounts - there seems to be lots of them about.

Thanks all
Tom Tom Go 700 mounting kits - Pugugly {P}
I like Garmin's solution for the 2610. It locks onto a cradle which stuck to a bean bag affair with four weighted wings - works well, no messy suction thing.
Tom Tom Go 700 mounting kits - rtj70
Check out Brodit/Proclip is what I would say
Tom Tom Go 700 mounting kits - Old Navy
I saw this mounting system in Maplin recently, seems to be versatile soloution.

tinyurl.com/382l8j
Sat Nav Hire - rogerb
Does anyone have experience of hiring a sat nav system?
(I am visiting UK alone in October and need to find my way from Norwich to Nr Huddersfield and hence to Bletchley)
Advice on good hire companies and systems would be welcomed, thanks.
Sat Nav Hire - rtj70
Some hire companies do hire of GPS. But might be as cheap buying for all I know.
Sat Nav Hire - Pugugly {P}
BMW dealerships hire them - well mine does and it seems to be a National thing.
SAT NAV - Whats best for me - guygamps
I currently run Tom Tom 5 on a PDA, but am fed up with the fiddle factor.

Plug PDA in to 12v adaptor
Plug GPS in to 12v adaptor
this means having a multi adaptor with at least 3 sockets (need one for my phone, and maybe another for my MP3 player)

power on PDA
power on GPS receiver
Enable Bluetoon on the PDA (for the GPS receiver)
go to bluetooth manager and "connect" to the GPS receiver
Open Tom Tom and start using it.

repeat whole excersise each time its turned on
god forbid moving it from car to car

I've had enough so want to get a self contained one. I looked at several Tom Toms in John Lewis today, and was going to buy a Tom Tom One XL, it has all the features I need, and on Amazon is a good price, but there are loads of Amazon reviews of it saying it freezes, crashes, fails to boot, and has very few POIs installed.

So, I will look at other makes. But there are a few things I need.

indoor programming. On Tom Tom you can set up a route (A to B Advanced planning) when you have no GPS reception, this is very handy, you can sit indoors the evening before a trip, plan your route, work out how long it will take and get the family prepared the day before to be ready on time (take away an extra 30 mins cos I have four girls!!)

But the Garmins I think do not allow this, you cannot program a route unless you have GPS reception - is that right? certainly the one I played with in store didn't seem to be able to do that.

Other must haves:

Speed camera database with advanced warning including info as to what the speed limit actually is.
On sceen display of current speed (its more accurate than your speedo unless on a steep hill)
Good POI database, with downloadable POIs (e.g. from Checkpoint)

Budget - under £200.

Built in Bluetooth hands free kit (seen on some models) would be nice.

Guy
SAT NAV - Whats best for me - Altea Ego
I currently run Tom Tom 5 on a PDA but am fed up with the
fiddle factor.
Plug PDA in to 12v adaptor
Plug GPS in to 12v adaptor
this means having a multi adaptor with at least 3 sockets (need one for my
phone and maybe another for my MP3 player)
power on PDA
power on GPS receiver
Enable Bluetoon on the PDA (for the GPS receiver)
go to bluetooth manager and "connect" to the GPS receiver
Open Tom Tom and start using it.

I have an IPAQ 4700. and tomtom 5And it goes like this for me

Push 4700 into mount and turn on. select tomtom logo, and off we go.

The bluetooth GPS is hidden in the car, and boots up when ignition turned on. TomTom auto selects the bluetooth port and port pairs with the GPS.

In italy recently it was just a matter of pluggiing the 4700 into a charging cable (pluggedinto the lighter socket) and throwing the bluetooth on the dash top. (it has a run time of 4 hours before requiring a charge) It gets charged up over night,
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
SAT NAV - Whats best for me - CGNorwich

Have just bought a new Garmin nuvi 250 which inlcudes all Western European mapping from Amazon for £144 for same reason - previously had Navman PDA but just too much trouble.

I like the extremely simple interface on Nuvi and it somehow feels more substantial and better build than the TomTOm l and think would meet your requirements:

You can plan route without GPS reception - If cannot pick up satellite it will ask if you wish to do this. - Suprisingly though it does usually locate satellites even when indoors.

Speed canera database included exactly as you specify

Excellent POI dtabase - easy to download more if required

No bluetooth but if you need that go for the nuvi 300 series.

Navman and POI'S - borasport20
a long shot, but here goes -

I've managed to upload some POI's to my Navman ICN 520

The information in the POI file is lat,long,POI name
Is there any way of getting the POI Name displayed on the screen ? There

is no name displayed with the Icon, and if warnings are turned on, it

only displays the file name at the bottom of the screen, not the specific

POI name
Satelite Navigation GPS - Greg R
Can backroomers recommend a very good sat nav system, that can be used all around Europe (Poland included).

I like the look of the ones that include safety camera locaters.

And how good would they be abroad?

Thanks again.

Greg
Satelite Navigation GPS - gmac
What is right for one person may not be right for you.
Best bet is to go into a shop and test it out for yourself.
A good test is enter a start point in the UK and destination abroad. Amazing how many still do not recognise the channel tunnel.
Also, TMC is country specific so what you may get included in the UK bundle will not work in France (where another subscription is needed). TMC in Germany is very good but again you may need a separate subscription for the German channel too.
The units mapping works the same regardless of where you are though, through personal experience, would lead me steer clear of anything with Navteq on Board written on the box.
Can't name and shame the brand but would steer well clear of any units built by Japanese home games console & music company manufacturer.
Satelite Navigation GPS - Archie35
You'll find that a lot of the major SatNav don't include Poland, even if they say "European Mapping". For those that do, they typically only give it a 50% coverage. I wanted one with Poland also, and went in the end (a couple of months ago) for a ViaMichelin 970T - seems OK, but has a few niggles. But then, so did the Tom Tom that I borrowed a bit before I bought mine. The Michelin has european mapping, Bluetooth, TMC (variable reception, I have to say).

If you want TomTom and Poland, you might have to buy the Polish mapping separately, I think.

--
\"Archie\"
Satelite Navigation GPS - rtj70
For TomTom, Poland is either a separate map or part of Eastern Europe. The likes of the TomTom 720 come with Western European mapping.
Sat Nav Maps for rural Kerry in Ireland. - John Doubledime
I am looking for a Sat Nav that has a map that will cover rural areas in County Kerry Ireland. My Nav Man ICN 330 covers major towns but fades outside the towns. Any suggestions please.
Sat Nav Maps for rural Kerry in Ireland. - rtj70
Check coverage of the two mapping companies (Navteq and TeleAtlas). And then buy a device using the latest map version of a product using those maps.

At least that is what I would do.

Note 1: TomTom are buying TeleAtlas and have almost always used them with a couple of exceptions.
Note 2: A lot of the products use TeleAtlas so there might not be a lot of choice.
Note 3: For this perhaps a normal map might be enough you know. It's not as if you're navigating through a city or a long distance across a continent ;-)
Sat Nav Maps for rural Kerry in Ireland. - NowWheels
I am looking for a Sat Nav that has a map that will cover rural
areas in County Kerry Ireland. My Nav Man ICN 330 covers major towns but fades
outside the towns. Any suggestions please.

Last time I checked, there wasn't one: Irish coverage was restricted to the major towns on those that covered Ireland at all (ISTR that there were no Irish maps for TomTom)
Sat Nav Maps for rural Kerry in Ireland. - rtj70
But for this holiday was sat nav ever needed? I first drove overseas on Corfu - road signs written in Greek only, i.e the alphabet. Luckily I can read the Greek alphabet* (physics and maths A levels) and we got by okay ;-)

*Actually learned Greek alphabet for sad reasons when about 10!
Sat Nav Unit Positoning - Devonboy78
Not really a question or answer, but I observed a Subaru being driven tonight with a sat nav unit positioned not in the usual the center bottom, but top right hand corner of the screen, just off the driver's normal line of sight - v. distracting methinks! Could you get pulled over for inappropriate positioning of these units? DB
Sat Nav Unit Positoning - Pugugly {P}
Yes - plenty of covering non-specific legislation.
Sat Nav Room 101 - Mad Maxy
I'm idly thinking about whether to get a sat-nav:

- What things/features/factors ought I be considering/tbasing my decision on?

- What are good things to have?

- What features to avoid?

I guess I need 'Sat-nav for Dummies'...
Sat Nav Room 101 - Pugugly {P}
Morgams the Computer people are selling TT1s for £85.00 - Bargain
Sat Nav Room 101 - CGNorwich
Morgams the Computer people are selling TT1s for £85.00 - Bargain

Well £108.80 actually when you add the VAT and delivery and its the old version 2 - now replaced by version 3 with more memory

still cheap though if it fits your needs
Sat Nat Error At Certain Locations - DSLRed
I'm not sure if this has ever been asked before (if so, apologies) but I thought I'd use this thread as an opportunity to crack something that bugs me.

I travel the country a lot, and rely on Sat Nav all the time. My nav unit is the factory fitted unit in a Citroen C5 (expensive, I know, but it saves the problem of having to take it out and wipe the sucker marks away :)

Normally, no problems at all - love the unit. However, I have found two places in the country so far where, every time I pass, the unit loses track of itself and locks. I have to turn the engine off to lose power to the unit, before it will reset.

One of these places is pulling off the M25 onto the A1 Northbound. The other is the roundabout on the A1 leading to Scotch Corner services in the North East - you actually have to be on the roundabout to cause the problem, just driving up the A1 past the scene is fine.

So, is this a particular problem with my unit, or my type of unit (eg the mapping on it), or is it a problem with GPS somehow, that affects all units in these areas.

Thanks

Sat Nat Error At Certain Locations - Welliesorter
I think it's a bug in the software rather than a characteristic of GPS. Presumably being at the exact point produces GPS data that causes the unit to behave in a particular way. I have a Mio unit for which a software update exists to cure this problem.
Evesham nav-cam 6200 - Martin Devon
Anybody got any experience of this item. I believe that Evesham are well respected in the computer field. Price at under £100.00.

vbr........MD.
Evesham nav-cam 6200 - Another John H
Be aware that Evesham Technology have been recovered from administration this year by the founders of TIME and TINY.

tinyurl.com/2w8pdu

Trading as GEEMORE Technology.

I am not alone in opinions about TIME and TINY. .

Evesham nav-cam 6200 - rtj70
I would add that Evesham had a good name - one reason they went into administration was they had a lot of investment in the governement "PC for Home Scheme" which the chancellor pulled the plug on without notice.

The strategy was to branch out into items for sale other than computers, so they started to do TFT TVs, sat-nav (rebadged no-doubt) etc.

The new owners have not had such a good reputation. Will they even still support sat nav. Then again if it works fine but they were £99 12 months ago so have the maps been updated?

For a little more you could get something from one of the other sat-nav companies.
Evesham nav-cam 6200 - rtj70
Just found out you can install TomTom 6 on the Evesham nav-cam 6200 if you're a little technical.... hmmm. Interesting.
Evesham nav-cam 6200 - Rapmaster
can you please point me in the right direction where i can find out the info needed to put tom tom on the Nav-Cam 6200 please ..ive been told it can be done but cant find any info that tells you how ..i would appreciate any info you can give
Many thanks
Paul
Tomtom One UK £99 - Citroënian {P}
Saw Morgan Computers in Picadilly, Manchester selling the ONE UK edition (not the XL) for £99 including VAT yesterday.

Cheapest I've ever seen this unit - it's the one I've got.

Hopefully this might help someone
-------------------------
07 Kia Ceed LS
05 Citroën C4 VT
04 Mazda MX5
85 Mini Mayfair
Tomtom One UK £99 - rtj70
I didn't name my preferred sat-nav unit before but I've liked TomTom for years. Had it for nearly 4 years now. First PDA based (various versions) and also on a Nokia phone.

I am now thinking of getting a new one for my next car to replace the cumbersome PDA version (phone screen too small and low down) and it will either be a TomTom XL or 520/720.

My comment on a TomTom One would be there is a third edition lacking in some features but cheaper than the v2:

- no memory expansion only inbuilt memory - opt for UK maps and you won't get Europe on there in future
- no GPRS so only way to get traffic is via the RDS system which can be very poor in the UK due to weak signal

Be careful of what you might need with a TomTom One when there are three versions. The latest has the latest maps and software but lacks other features.
Tomtom One UK £99 - Martin Devon
It's all too technical and too much choice. Answer. Stay at home. If only I had the time.

VBR..........MD
Toyota 'integrates' TomTom - Bill Payer
This looks a jolly good idea:
www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/210540/...l
Help me choose a sat nav - TimOrridge
Hi BR's

I am lookign to but a sat nav device. Want to spend up to £150 as I think there are a few on market for that price range

Any experiences or owners reviews welcome

Features like re routing, road preference would be nice also pedestrian mode too. One question is if you have the traffic and speed scamera alerts do you have to pay an annual fee to keep the device up to date (advice on prices always welcome)

TIA
Help me choose a sat nav - rogue-trooper
I have a TomTom Go 910 (which I know is more than £150) and the wife a NavMan F20.

TomTom much much better for me, and I think that the TT One works the same way as the Go910 so would go with that
Help me choose a sat nav - rtj70
Personally I'd say TomTom. Which model depends on what you need. the user interface is the same on all from the last few years.

The latest TomTom One does not have a memory card slot so you're stuck with the inbuilt storage. If you want to add European maps to the regional one you're stuffed. Also does not support GPRS connection for traffic. Neither may bother you but they removed features to cut costs.

Sites like www.handtec.co.uk have some good prices but so do PC World if you reserve online and pick up in store - still pay the web price.

As for safety cameras then if you want updates you'll have to pay. The safety camera database on www.pocketgpsworld.com used to be £2pm (pay as often as you liked) but has now gone annual but still good value at £19pa. This supports most (maybe all) new sat navs but not all older ones.

If by walking mode you mean plan a trip for on foot around town (so ignores one-way restrictions etc.) then yes TomTom does this. If you mean ordnance survery type maps then you either need a PDA type device with MemoryMap, or go for the RoadPilot Adventurer which has road maps and ordnance survery maps via MemoryMap. Also water proof. But it's out of your price range.
Which Sat Nav to buy please? - Dulwich Estate
Not having or needing one yet, I have absolutely no idea about these things at all.

I have been asked to advise a geographically challenged person (who really struggles with a map and any given directions) which is the best sat nav for them to get to suit their purposes which are:

FIRST: Ability to follow an existing route. In other words, if I know what I consider to be the best rush-hour route from A to G via B,C,D, E & F and drive it once in each direction, can the wonder box remember the 2 routes? What storage limits are there to favourite routes? Can we plug in say 10?

SECOND: Voice commands, so full concentration is given to driving.

THIRD: Ease of removal and fitting to car (Nissan Micra - BackRoom advice was followed).

FOURTH: Price is not a barrier unless very high - suitability for the purpose is needed.

Moved from standalone thread in here some of the answers may already be here

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 20/10/2007 at 17:47

Which Sat Nav to buy please? - DrS
I never actually use the feature, but the Tom Tom 710 allows you to select various routes (Fastest, shortest, etc), and then allows you to whiz through the route at something like 10X speed, so that you can see where it intends to take you?
Is that any good to you?
Also does the voice commands, etc, and fitting and removal is a 5 second job.
Which Sat Nav to buy please? - PoloGirl
I don't think you can program in a certain route, but you can ask it to go the fastest way or the shortest way, avoid motorways etc.

Actually what you could do is put in a lot of via points, that might do it. I think the Garmin one we use has that, but it's a while since I've used it.

Edited by PoloGirl on 20/10/2007 at 22:47

Which Sat Nav to buy please? - Dulwich Estate
Thanks PG. The way-point idea might be tedious to punch-in but it ought to work.

The reason I want "my" routes is that in S London rush hours (and anywhere else) the shortest/quickest programmed may well be very, very wrong. You know the sort of thing - that set of traffic lights that only ever lets one car through on the TR for example, whereas at the one junction before is easy peasy.
Which Sat Nav to buy please? - rtj70
But if you know the route why use sat nav on that journey?
which sat nav? - retgwte
OK really only need a GPS camera detector

however thinking of upgrading to a budget sat nav for this application

would like one with a decent built in battery that keeps working if connection to lighter socket drops out for a bit

would like one that can get camera updates via a Vista PC, some only seem to support XP

looking at the budget end of the spectrum

any recommendations?

what would be the best money no object answer?

cheers
which sat nav? - freddy1
forget going down the sat-nat routes , get a TALEX system , works brill in my case the talex lite from aldi @ £69.00

no fancy maps , just does the job,

talex.co.uk/talexlite/

available cheeper than there website

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/10/2007 at 20:42

which sat nav? - retgwte
doesnt work with Vista on the PC getting the updates

Sat Nav and Metallised or Heated Windscreens - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have a 307 with a 'metallised' windscreen and I have to use a remote aerial, on the rear parcel shelf, to get a signal for my Origin B2. A neighbour has a Mondeo with a heated windscreen and reports no problem getting TomTom to lock with its internal aerial. What are my chances, in my car, with TomTom or should I just go to Halfords and ask to try one? If it worked I'd buy one, but I don't want the faff of an external aerial.
Sat Nav and Metallised or Heated Windscreens - Altea Ego
If your Origin needs one, so will your TomTom.

The ford screen is a red herring and has no bearing on the matter. Its just fokelore that they hinder satnavs. Metalised reflective screens do however.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Sat Nav and Metallised or Heated Windscreens - rtj70
The latest TomTom (and other) GPS receivers use the SiRF III chipset which is very sensitive. You may find a new TomTom unit will work even if the signal effected by the windscreen. Some of these now work indoors!

I would try it and see... assuming your neighbour has a recent TomTom unit borrow that to try. Failing that Argos take things back without too much hastle. If it works keep it if it doesn't then take it back... but you'll find them cheaper online.
Sat Nav and Metallised or Heated Windscreens - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks AE and rtj70. Went to Halfords and spent the money I had 'saved' by not replacing my DVD Recorder on a nice new TomTom. It locked on very quickly, pulling in a strong signal thru my thermal windscreen. The new 6 axis aerial technology was mentioned by the very clued up sales person and all is well.
Sat Nav and Metallised or Heated Windscreens - Martin Devon
Metalised reflective screens do however.

I went to Halfords and tried a Garmin in the Renault master, (metalised screen) and it made not a jot of difference. Didn't buy though. Couldn't justify it.

MD
ViaMichelin satnav - any comments? - br1anstorm
I am looking for a satnav which does all the key tasks reliably, but without superfluous extra features and at a reasonable rather than top price. Key requirements are:
- UK and W Europe mapping
- safety camera database
- traffic realtime updates (TMC)
- multi-stop route planning

I don't need (so don't want to pay for) Bluetooth, music player, picture viewer, or inbuilt camera (why does Navman offer this gimmick?). TomTom seems OK, but current range doesn't have SD slot and I object to paying extra subscriptions for almost all the features beyond the basics. I've read that Navmans can't do multi-stop routes (you have to reprogramme at each stop). With Garmin Nuvis, the TMC and I think speed-camera info are pay-extra options.

So my current very short list is the ViaMichelin X970T (has all I need, plus Bluetooth, for about £150) or possibly the Navigon TS 7000T (over £200 - but has bigger screen display). Has anyone had experience - good or bad - of these models?

br1anstorm
ViaMichelin satnav - any comments? - Archie35
I've got a X970T. Its not bad, but has quite a few flaws (but then, so do many Satnavs). There is quite a lot of discussion on this model at the pocketGPSworld Michelin forum:

tinyurl.com/3dbow6

I posted a few of my issues with the device on the thread at:

tinyurl.com/2p847b

They have just upgraded the operating software (one week after I bought mine! Aagh...), and some of the problems might be fixed now, though from the comments one reads, quite a few clearly remain. However, a lot of the other versions I looked at (and tried) also had their own problems.
--
\"Archie\"
ViaMichelin satnav - any comments? - rtj70
The TomTom XLs still have the additional memory card slots so that might be an option.

As for:

- TMC - the new TomTom receiver better but the signal via ClassicFM itself poor so how about using an old phone via GPRS for TomTom traffic. It costs but not a lot.

- Traffic - PocketGPSworld.com is a good site with their own database. Currently about £20ish for the year. I have lifetime subscription by reporting new cameras.
ViaMichelin satnav - any comments? - br1anstorm
Thanks Archie for very helpful comments. I had looked briefly at the pocketGPS forum but hadn't specifically seen your posts.

I guess no satnav is perfect. But the ViaMichelin problem of time lag (maps being 100 yards behind actual location) seems a basic, but serious one. The complaint seems to crop up quite frequently: a lot of users missing their turnings!

I wonder if the v7 software has fixed this and other issues?

A slightly separate question is emerging on some forums: the relative merits of TeleAtlas and NavTeq mapping. ViaMichelin and possibly the majority of others use the former, but I happen to think the NavTeq display is nicer. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd be tempted by the Navigon 7110 or TS 7000T.

The search continues!

br1anstorm
ViaMichelin satnav - any comments? - Archie35
Don't let me completely put you off the Michelin - all the other satnavs I looked at had their own problems, and at least Michelin seem to (a) recognise the problems and (b) try to do something to fix some of them. You should see the complaints that some other manufacturers get about their lack of customer service...
--
\"Archie\"
Simple sat nav - slender75
Any recommendations for a reliable, simple, sat nav? My dad would really like one, but, my mom isn't the most patient person in the world and I can see a new era of arguments looming if he isn't able to demonstrate swift efficiency in using it!

I have an old Tom Tom 300 and I guess the Tom Tom One is the equivalent model nowadays? That seems easy enough to use to me but even that is full of stuff that I never use and my dad will certainly never use. As long as it has a bright screen and is very user friendly he'll be chuffed and car journeys need not be feared!

Thanks in advance.
Simple sat nav - CGNorwich

Get him a Garmin Nuvi - I too subscribe to the simpler is better when it comes to gadgets. No buttons just an on off switch. Nice bright screen which is visible in the brightest sunlight and the most up to date mapping. Very intuitive and no hassle. Five minutes playing around with it will make him an expert. Used to have a Navman which unnecessarily complicated. Nuvi 250 with UK and European mapping available for around £130
Simple sat nav - slender75
Sounds great, thanks, I'll go and check it out.
TomTom Ver5 question please. - Petel
Have TomTom ver5 on an HP 1710 Ipaq, nothing special but it works. Wish to delete all the previously typed in addresses but system will not work.

Went to " Restore factory defaults " and the above was the first question asked. Clicked " Yes " then second screen " Do you realy want to? " Clicked " Yes " Completed the remaining " Restore factory defaults " screens then closed down and restarted the unit.
All the previous addresses still there. Did this on the bench and whilst set up in the car, all still there.

Has anyone managed to do this on a similar setup please? Is something amiss with the software or am I missing something here?

Any assistance much apreciated.
Thank you.
TomTom Ver5 question please. - Altea Ego
where have you stored them on the Ipaq? if your addresses are ont he SD card they wont be wiped by a system restore.
------
< Ulla>
My thanks to the Moderator for moving this to the correct section.

Thanks for the reply. The TT is on a separate SD card.
I am not aware that I have stored the addresses anywhere, other than on the said card. It is the TT's own " Factory reset " function that I am using, I have also used the Ipaq,s with still no clearance of the data.
Thank you.
Anyone please?
TomTom Ver5 question please. - R75
If its your Favourites you are on about, then these seem to be stored in a .cfg file with the map, don't think it would be as easy as deleting the file as I am sure this file would contain more then just the favourites.
Thank you for your reply.
The Favourites are no problem, I am trying to clear out all the addresses that have been entered onto the unit since I ( and predominately my sister ) started using it two months ago.
Thanks again.
TomTom Ver5 question please. - BobbyG
If I take my PDA with TT on it, onto a plane, and discreetly switch it on, what will it show? Speed but a blank screen? Or will it think that I am on whatever road is directly underneath me?

Just curious!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
TomTom Ver5 question please. - Altea Ego
I have a bluetooth gps reciever for my PDA with TT. ON my last trip up your way I got three sats with the reciever placed against the plane window.

It showed a speed of 560 mph, desperately tried to stick to roads but couldnt, and set off speed camera alerts constantly,,,,.

------
< Ulla>
TomTom Ver5 question please. - BobbyG
Cheers AE, thats my curiosity solved!

Pity the TT doesn't have a feature on it like my bike computer thingy that records your maximum speed. That would be impressive to show down the pub!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
TomTom Ver5 question please. - Pugugly {P}
The Garmin 2610 I have for the bike does record the maximum speed attained in its "dashboard" mode. I feel quite embarrassed sometimes.
TomTom where is my map? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have a TomTom 720 and one more map than I can get onto the internal memory. I have bought a 4 Gb card and got the extra map on it and, although it check of the contents shows the map is on the Card TomTom won't access it when I go to the "Change Maps" menu. Perhaps the device is not recognisisng the card for some reason? Any help welocme!
BTW the voluminous instructions say that the TomTom Home programme must be installed on the card as well as the map and I have done that.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 25/12/2007 at 08:15

TomTom where is my map? - Altea Ego
did you format your SD card before you loaded stuff on? just had the very same problem on a card I bought from Aldi. Wasnt till it was formatted by the PC that it started to work properly.
------
< Ulla>
TomTom where is my map? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Many thanks AE - yes I did. I have a helpful chap in the place where I bought it who has resolved similar problems; I take in TomTom and my laptop, a bottle of Speyside's finest has changed hands, which has paid up front for a number of return visits. I will catch him in the New Year.
TomTom where is my map? - b308
Very basic q's:

The sub-£100 S/Navs - are they ok for just basic map reading/get you there technology? I'm not interested in all the extras like camera detection, etc, and am just looking at a Road Map replacement - now they are below £100 they are looking afordable.

I know this is really, really basic question, but will they still work in a few years time if you don't update the maps?

Finally how much is the cost of mapping for Europe (Czech Rep definite, but not too bothered about Poland)? I take it you don't need a subscription for them to work abroad?

Sorry for such basic q's but I honestly don't have any idea how they work!!
TomTom where is my map? - Altea Ego
I know this is really, really basic question, but will they still work in a few years time if you don't update the maps?

they will work, but like any map wil be out of date

Finally how much is the cost of mapping for Europe (Czech Rep definite, but not too bothered about Poland)? I take it you don't need a subscription for them to work abroad?

you dont need a subscription, but buying a basic under £100 sat nav wont get you a map of Czech republic of any kind.

------
< Ulla>
Bargain TomToms at Argos - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have just had an e mail from Argos, re their sale and they have got the TomTom 720 for £155. This half what it was 6 months ago and it doubles as a handsfree phone. It has street level Europe mapping but I am not sure about the Czech republic, it isn't any good for Greece, for example. For a few £s extra on your budget you could get yourself quite a lot of 'whistles and bells'

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 25/12/2007 at 17:01

Bargain TomToms at Argos - rtj70
I've checked the Argos website and the TomTom 720 is not that price. Have you more details?
Slight error by me - I was working from memory! I had an e mail today, from Argos re their sale; TomTom 720 Europe is £159.99 - I mistakenly said £155. Big error!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 25/12/2007 at 18:17

well looking at website it is still more. So you must have a promo code - I wish I did because I could justify less than £160 but not the price on the website. I think it's £229.99
Bargain TomToms at Argos - Altea Ego
Yup

the email says £159, and it says was £229.99

when you click on that email link however it is priced at £223.99 (was £329.99)

something does not stack up
------
< Ulla>
If anybody cares to send their e mail address to me (see my profile) I will forward them the email I got from Argos. I'd be interested but I bought my 720 2 months ago for £249 GRRRR!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 25/12/2007 at 18:48

no need - I have the same email, it is as you say. Try clicking on it tho, you cant seem to be able to buy that model at that price
------
< Ulla>
Bargain TomToms at Argos - henry k
Looks like this advert ?
favell.net/Argos.html

I agree with AE. It is most odd
Bargain TomToms at Argos - Dynamic Dave
The TomTom GO 720 is currently £180.80 from Amazon. Was £199.99 when I looked earlier.

tinyurl.com/3yv97a

TomTom G0 720 is 186.69 with postage
------
< Ulla>
Bargain TomToms at Argos - Dynamic Dave
TomTom G0 720 is 186.69 with postage

Says "Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery."
Dear customer, You may have recently received an email from us advertising a Tom Tom Go 720 satellite navigation system for £159.99.Please be aware that this price is incorrect and was advertised to you in error. The correct price for this product is £223.99. If you are looking for a Tom Tom at £159.99 please note that the Tom Tom One XL Europe is available at this price. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused and hope that you continue to take advantage of the great sale offers at argos.co.uk.
------
And I dream Im on vacation - cos I like the way that sounds -
Knew it had to be wrong.

But the strange this on Amazon at the moment a TomTom 720 is cheaper than a standard 520! Although the 520T is cheaper again. Maybe this is because a 720 can be sold anywhere in Europe. The 520's are regionalised so buying more 720s might be cheaper than stocking lots of different 520s?? i..e GB/Eire, Italy, France, Germany, etc. etc.
Sat Nav Questions Tom Tom XL - motorprop
Have just bought ( a family friend leaving abroad etc ) a 2 month old Tom Tom XL , with guarantee , carry case , crade / charger etc .

My question is : Can this model show European maps ? at the moment it has UK / Ireland data . It has an SD card at the bottom .
Sat Nav Questions Tom Tom XL - rtj70
You can download a map (they're on offer on the TomTom store) and put on a fast Sd-card and put in the TT XL.

One reason to avoid TT One v3 is there is no memory slot and not enough storage on uk units for european maps.
Sat Nav Questions Tom Tom XL - R75
I got SWMBO a TT1 V3 Europe for Xmas, has 1gb of internal memory but most of that is taken with european maps and the self installer software, not much room left for updates and you can only get another few voices on it without maxing out the memory - but to be honest for the majority of users this will not be a problem, it is still a good little unit for the money.
Sat Nav Questions Tom Tom XL - rtj70
But if someone got a TT One v3 GB/Eire then it has 512Mb of storage and cannot have European maps installed.