Diesel Engine Noise at 30k miles - Perfection
Hi there,

This car is a bit troublesome for me...It was the engine light last few weeks..and now engine noise.

Let me try and describe the noise and hope it make sense.

The noise is very distinctive when at idle. Normally we have a cyclic (repetitive) clatter noise during idle as you would expect from a diesel. However, there is another oscillating noise which is kind of fade in and out on top of the idling clatter noise. This noise sounds like a mechanical friction or bearing problem. Could it be timing chain/tensioner??

This problem only happens since the dealer changed the ECU to fix the engine light problem. I wonder if the new ECU is doing something funny. Or is it the car needed an oil change, its due soon...(Done 7k miles since last service).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this kind noise or similar noise with the engine. Or anyone had a bearing failure or mechanicla failure around 30k miles.

To be honest I'm quite annoyed with the dealer, having fixed the engine light issue they alos introduced another fault to the security light (LED). Now it keeps on flashing even when the car has started. And now the car has this strange noise.

Sorry for letting my steam out here....

Regards,

Perfect.
Yaris Diesel Engine Noise at 30k miles - madf
You don't say the year. Is it a Mark1 Yairs or the latest one?

I'd go back to the dealer and tell them to fix the LED.. at their expense for a start. You could also ask at
toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=49

madf
Yaris Diesel Engine Noise at 30k miles - Perfection
Madf:

The car is a Mk1. As for the security LED, the dealer said they have contacted the Toyota GB and still don't know what to do with it..so we're still waiting for an answer.

As for the engine noise. I have located to the area alternator side of the engine.

Is the timing chain & water pump on that side of the engine? I'm wondering if these components are the culprit. The noise seem to be more apparent when the engine is warm. (Maybe the idling noise is quieter when its warm so could hear more nosie from the problematic noise).

Well I have booked into another dealer to see what they think of the engine noise problem. I don't think the delaer I used for the ECU replacement knows what they're are doing.

Regards,

Perfect.
Yaris Diesel Engine Noise at 30k miles - madf
Have you checked the oil level?
madf
Hi Madf;

The oil is fine, I have checked. Its on the hogh end toward the max level.

The car was at the dealer today and they said two components have worn out, the bearings on the alternator and the water pump was leaking.

They have replaced the water pump, but the noise is still there. Now they said they will order a new alternator and get it replaced as soon they have it in stock.

I think the water pump was nothing wrong with it, but instead uses as a process of elimination. I'm glad I didn't need to pay for it.

Will report back soon when the alternator is fitted to see it will fix the noise problem.

Regards,

Perfect.

Yaris Diesel Engine Noise at 30k miles - Aprilia
I have an automotive stethoscope. Its remarkably useful for tracking down noisy alty and tensioner bearings etc. Surprised that the garage have to resort to repair by a process of elimination.
Yaris Diesel Engine Noise at 30k miles - jc2
A large screwdriver can be used as a stethoscope as well.
I will try the screw driver method and see if I could feel any vibration.

However, I am bit puzzled when the dealer said the alternator is out of stock and don't have an ETA. Surely its quite a common part? I might give anothr dealer a call at their department and see when can they get one? I might buy one of them and take it to the repairing dealer.

Is it still safe to drive the car with this bearing problem. The sound like a helicopter propeller sound (if you know what I mean).

Regards,

Perfect.

Yaris Diesel Engine Noise at 30k miles - Dynamic Dave
I will try the screw driver method and see if I could feel any vibration.

Best to use it to hear, rather than feel. Place the blade end of the driver on whatever you think is making the noise, and place your ear to the handle of the screwdriver.
Time to report back...

The noise problem has been fixed. It was the bearings in the alternator.

However, on the way back home, the engine light came on again when I flawed the engine (3rd gear around 4000rpm).

As for the engine light issue, I am just wondering if I should take back to the dealer that fixed the engine noise issue, or take it back to the dealer that replaced the ECU in an attempt to fix the engine light problem.