Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - JH
HJ,
hmm interesting, but you need a time machine for it to be useful. At least 5 of the cars in the bottom 10 list are no longer sold. And while there are some surprises - the SEAT, though it is the rarer Cupra, it's mostly common sense. Still, common sense isn't so common these days!
JH
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - retgwte
I think there is a market for a "real world" depreciation table

For a start giving a percentage depreciation of likely new price paid by consumer to likely part ex value 3 years later, rather than using list prices which for most cars are negotiable use the average consumer price or some such

Needs a factor for the obvious essential extras, such as met paint for cars where the solid colours are unpopular, so build in the extra cost at the start and end

Need to be able to ask "real world" questions, such as "whats the cheapest 4 seater automatic over 3 years" etc, so that again typical options can be looked at

Stuff like this should be easy to do in this day and age, and there must be a business in providing it?

Is the mini depreciation genuine, in that hardly any are bought new without extras? and these extras will inflate the price at sale 3 years later? are they really calculating depreciation on typical new price with extras?

(c) retgwte 2007

Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - BobbyG
In my paper today there is a take on this story and it is on the C5. It states that the C5 3.0 V6 exclusive is £22255 new but after 3 years and 39000 miles it is worth £3894.

a. I doubt if anyone would ever have paid this list price.
b. I don't believe for a second that after 3 years you could buy one for £3894. Not a chance.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - daveyjp
A slightly older (Jan 04) 2.0 petrol (49,000 miles) is currently available for £3995 from offical Citroen dealer, so that price isn't far off.
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - flunky
In my paper today there is a take on this story and it is on
the C5. It states that the C5 3.0 V6 exclusive is £22255 new but after
3 years and 39000 miles it is worth £3894.

Hard to say. Only 11 v6 C5s on autotrader nationally, so clearly little demand to start with. £3,900 is a trade-in value, and they'd be hard to shift, so it's easy to see them being put on the forecourt for £6k.

02 reg on autotrader:

5 Doors, Automatic, Hatchback, Petrol, 74,779 miles
Superb Condition.Cost new £26,000.SatNav and Video.P/X Welcome! £3,495

Glass's Residual Value Top & Bottom 10 - Chris White
Just been on the Glass's website and they're listing the top 10 makes/models that retain the greatest and lowest proportion of their original list price,

Residual Value Top 10

The following table shows the top 10 list of three-year-old used cars that retain the greatest proportion of their original list price, expressed as a trade value

Ranking / Manufacturer / Range and model(s) / Percentage residual value (2004 04 plate/39,000 miles)

1 MINI Mini 1.4 diesel / 1.6 petrol - Hatchback and Convertible - 71%
2 Mercedes SLK200 Kompressor Convertible - 69.5%
3 Volkswagen Golf 3.2 R32 three and five-door - 65.5%
4 Nissan 350Z 3.5 Coupe - 64%
5 Porsche Carrera 2/4 (997) Coupe and Cabriolet - 63.5%
6 Audi 2.0TDI Sportback Sport - 63%
7 Seat Leon 1.9TDI Cupra and FR - 63%
8 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe - 62.5%
9 Audi A6 2.0TDI SE - 62.5%
10 Volkswagen Beetle 1.9TDi Cabriolet - 62.5%

Residual Value Bottom 10

The following table shows the bottom 10 list of three-year-old used cars that retain the lowest proportion of their original list price, expressed as a trade value

1 Citroën C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive five-door- 17.5%
2 Proton Wira 1.3 / 1.5 four-door - 18.5%
3 Hyundai Elantra 1.6 / 2.0 CDX five-door - 19%
4 Vauxhall Omega 2.2 GLS / CDX four-door - 20%
5 Kia Shuma 1.8 SE / LX five-door - 21%
6 Rover 45 1.6 Classic / 1.8 Impression four-door - 21.5%
7 Vauxhall Frontera 3.2 Limited - 21.5%
8 Rover 75 1.8T Connoisseur / Connoisseur SE four-door - 21.5%
9 Alfa Romeo 166 2.5 Turismo / Lusso and 3.0 Turismo - 22%
10 Isuzu Trooper 3.5 Insignia - 22%

I think I'll be going for one of those Citroen C5 when I next come to buy then......
Glass's Residual Value Top & Bottom 10 - Xileno {P}
These surveys all have one flaw and that is they assume people pay list price. You would be a fool to pay anywhere near list for a C5.
Glass's Residual Value Top & Bottom 10 - flunky
duplicate thread...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=54...7
Glass's Residual Value Top & Bottom 10 - nb857
That Aston has a residual of 62.5%, but you still lost what £40,000! That would keep me on the road for over a decade....
Glass's Residual Value Top & Bottom 10 - Mapmaker
>>Keep me on the road for over a decade

Excluding petrol, and based on spending over the last seven years since I first mobilised, I anticipate that it would cover my motoring for nearly the entirety of my life!
Glass's Residual Value Top & Bottom 10 - jase1
Also, as I think was alluded to on the other thread, these are trade values -- a lot of cars on the lower end of the scale are there because dealers need to shift cars quickly, certain types of cars will sell for a lot more than stated, but they need to be given time because there are (a) few of them, but (b) little demand, so it takes time for the right buyer to come along.

Eventually that buyer does turn up, and the dealer who buys the trade-in from auction and takes the punt makes a sizeable profit.

These surveys all have one flaw and that is they assume people pay list price.

Glass's Residual Value Top & Bottom 10 - Chris White
Sorry, I missed that thread when it was posted before.

I'll keep my eyes open next time ;-)

threads merged, I missed it as well - PU
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - flunky
?Sportiness? - All but one of the cars in the list of the 10 slowest-depreciators
are marketed as high performance or ?sporty? models.

Hmm, careful on that, you have to be very careful on buying the right sporty model - any engine over the smallest on say a 3-series or 5-series will cost you much thousands more, b ut you will get very little of it back.... Those sporty cars are particular, you can't just buy a 'sporty' Mondeo and expect it to hold its value....
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - Dalglish
depreciation:

as the story makes clear, the depreciation is calculated over 3 years using list price and trade-in value.
it does not say that you will be able to buy a car at that list price initially or at the trade-in price end of 3 years, or whether some of them will actually cost a lot more due to extras which may be standard in other cars.
the stats given are just what they say on the tin.
nothing more, nothing less.
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - ziggy
I wonder what such a league table would look like with real (i.e. discounted) prices are used rather than list price.

The other issue it is based on past performance. Past performance is not necessarily a guide to furture performance, as they say.

Finally if initial cost is higher but depreciation is lower... you might have to finance that higher initial cost.

Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - Mapmaker
"sporty" yet "powered by a low-capacity petrol engine"

Anybody else noted the contradictory categories?
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - DP
There are four cars in that bottom 10 that I really wouldn't mind owning. Starting with an Alfa 166!!

Good information if you never buy a new car!

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - J Bonington Jagworth
"Good information if you never buy a new car"

Absolutely. I want one that depreciates as fast as possible!
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - DP
For example:

tinyurl.com/3528eu

How much car for the money???

DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - Collos25
In my paper today there is a take on this story and it is on the C5. It states that the C5 3.0 V6 exclusive is £22255 new but after 3 years and 39000 miles it is worth £3894.

a. I doubt if anyone would ever have paid this list price.
b. I don't believe for a second that after 3 years you could buy one for £3894. Not a chance.
--
Part a is correct but part b no way. it would be lucky to make that at auction a good 2.0 hdi lx would struggle to make that .

The whole equations goes tits up because very few cars are sold at retail and where very little or no discount is available on a mini massive discounts can be had on euro boxes.
Glass's Guide Low Depreciators - J Bonington Jagworth
"How much car for the money?"

Wow!