British car registration systems - tyro
I'm looking for a web site which will give the geographical area of the country for registration numbers - not just the current one, but also the previous systems. I found the following site,

www.ukcar.com/features/area.htm

but am not quite sure how accurate it is.

(I am not convinced that NS was a Glasgow registration)
British car registration systems - BobbyG
Tyro, I actually think NS was Glasgow, I had a Saxo with last 3 letters VNS and pretty sure it was registered here. Also know of a few others with NS as well.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
In fact come to think of it, if memory serves me right, any reg that had an "S" in the identifier part signified that it came from Scotland, either first or second letter?

No doubt I will now get shot down in flames...........
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
British car registration systems - Citivanvin
This is certainly true, although VS and GS were transferred to Bedfordshire at some time which is why a lot of Factory registered Vauxhalls carried these identifiers.
British car registration systems - GregSwain
waxxtm.com/registrations.html

Yes, NS is Glasgow. All combinations with S in the middle are Scottish, just as most with O in the middle are from Birmingham, and most with L or Y are from London.
British car registration systems - normd2
see doc INF104 at:

www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/number_plates_registratio...x

NS is Stockton
For new style plates only.
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
British car registration systems - normd2
sorry - didn't read the op closely enough - KGB was Edinburgh, always made me smile. HCV was a Cornish one which my BiL in Helston tried to convince me stood for Helston Cornish Vehicle.
British car registration systems - Citivanvin
This is an informative site on the subject.

www.richardsonclan.plus.com/history.htm
British car registration systems - tyro
Thanks - esp to Citivanvin for the great link.

NS is given as the mark for Sutherlandshire - which is what I had thought. However it was "replaced by" Glasgow and the "Marks passed to" Glasgow". (Hence BobbyG is right too!)

Presumeably it would have been 'passed to' Glasgow because Glasgow needed more numbers?

Seems it happened in 1974.
From reading that website, it appears that everything was centralised into regional registration areas in 1974. For example, in my neck of the woods, the numbers for Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, and North Riding all became Middlesbrough in 1974. Probably a cost-cutting exercise more than anything else, removing some of the smaller DVLA offices. I may be wrong of course!
British car registration systems - tanvir
Looking up all our old cars now!
I've found out that my 214i (N143 RJF) is from Leicester... not too far away
British car registration systems - Chris White
Just looked up mine on the first link. If right, it's had a bit of journey. I live in Eastbourne, I bought the car from a guy in South East London and the car was originally registered in Newcastle Upon Tyne (UP reg)
I live in Eastbourne I bought the car from a guy in South East
London and the car was originally registered in Newcastle Upon Tyne (UP reg)

Not unusual - mine was first registered in Edinburgh (SG reg) and I live in County Durham. Local traders travel the country getting the best deals at auction - used prices tend to be slightly lower in the north, hence your car might've been bought in Newcastle by a shrewd London trader, and sold to the previous keeper at a huge profit!