That new Volvo - Nsar
I saw one on the road yesterday. I came up behind it on the m/way and thought that's quite a good back end although very reminiscent of the 480 of about 20 years (not that that's bad). But what a disappointment at the front - it's simply a scaled down version of the 50. It's as if they simply couldn't be bothered trying anything even remotely new.

The worst thing about this car is the ad campaign though - it's just so contrived and trying too hard.

That new Volvo - Happy Blue!
C30

its just a coupe version of the S40/V50, so will be almost identical at the front and a chopped rear. does look good though.

I tet drove an S40 before I bought the Outback, as I think the cars are very smart. The interior is very nice, but lacking in space compared even to a supermini.
That new Volvo - midlifecrisis
I've never seen one on the road...actually forgot they existed.
That new Volvo - Kuang
I saw a couple up on stands at the local dealership and though they looked great, with one niggle - the wheels. Each set was too fiddly and just seemed to be trying too hard. A set of the simple straight-spoked ones from the S60 would look great.
That new Volvo - Brian Tryzers
We - junior Beests and I - had a clamber over the two in our local showroom when they were very new. It's a lovely, lovely thing - it presses all my I Want One buttons - although it would make a lousy family car, because there's barely enough legroom in the back for a six-year-old. But if I could justify something purely for weekday solo trips - and something sensible at home for the whole family - I'd be in there like a shot.

Funnily enough, I don't covet the swanky models; it's the basic design I like so much - along with the standard Volvo virtue of comfy seats - and I reckon I'd be quite happy with the 1.6D version. In Brilliant Blue, please.
That new Volvo - GregSwain
Just out of interest, who makes the 1.6 petrol engine offered in the C30? Is it a Ford unit?
That new Volvo - gmac
All the four pot engines in smaller (C30, S40, V50, C70) Volvo's are Ford/PSA units.

I had a C30 loan car while my car was in for a service. The seats were not Volvo comfortable, they had all the adjustments but the cushioning was as comfortable as sitting on an orange box. The floating centre console display screen is a bit bargain basement for a £15k+ car too.

The car I was driving had the 1.8 litre petrol engine and had covered just over 3k miles. I drove the car 65 miles (mostly dual carriageway and motorway) never going over an indicated 75mph and it used approx. £11 worth of petrol - giving roughly 28mpg. This unit did not feel particularly responsive in what is a pretty heavy 3 door hatchback. I think the 2.0D or D5 would be better suited, possibly even the 1.6D.

The doors open very wide for easy access to the rear. The downside is how good they will be parking in an average parking bay or supermarket car park ? With no rubbing strips they will be easily damaged I think.
That new Volvo - bintang
Horrible snout. Seems to be found on a lot of this year's cars. Something to do with common search for good pedestrian safety perhaps.
That new Volvo - Ed V
I too think it over-sold. It's not as pretty as HJ makes out and when I drove the V40, the seat depth was short and it felt cramped. They've gradually reduced the leg support from the great days of the 960 - to make it look bigger I assume. It started with the V70.

There's still a big market in flexible, small accommodation, which is why the BMW1, Merc C class Coupe do so well, the latter is an upmarket Focus, seats 4 comfortably [with more luggage space than a MINI], yet shorter by far than the CLK, and even takes golf clubs with a split rear seat.
That new Volvo - mike hannon
I'm sure I've said this before but it looks incredibly overblown to me - like it should be about two-thirds the size it is.
An ugly snout (like all Volvos), wide ungainly hips and a tailgate that is about as much use as the opening back window of a Hillman Imp - all around a package that lacks interior room.
At least that weird Volvo coupe made by DAF years ago looked a bit streamlined.
Shame no-one really does the 'small sporting estate' any more - let alone as well as Lancia with the Beta HPE or Honda with the Aerodeck.
Signed: a disappointed former Volvo owner who only drives coupes...
That new Volvo - Ed V
Agree - the mini-MPV has taken over, with aesthetics taking second, or lower, place. I guess the A3-style does a similar job, but again, nothing to look at compared to the Aerodeck and Beta.
The best looking Beemer is the 3-series estate in my view.