Bangernomics - Humperdink
Hi Guys

The wife has got a new job which would involve getting the train to central london, as a result she will not need a car to do motorway miles.

So I have decided to sell her 2005 VW polo 1.2 twist while it still has some equity and am going to replace it with a banger as she only needs it to get to next village around 2.5 miles away.

She sometimes has to do the nightshift as she is a doctor, so i wouldn't mind an old car being left in the station overnight.

The question is what banger?

I would like to spend between 500 to 1000 pounds I have seen a 1995 volvo 440 1.8 for 500 quid, are thses ok?

I was thinking something japanese or a volvo.

Kush
Bangernomics - geoff1248
For this to work you need to ensure that you don't spend your equity on repairs to keep the banger going. Irrespective of the reliability or otherwise of the 440, the additional insurance plus petrol consumption and extra road fund will probably add a couple of hundred a year to your revenue costs. At least the Polo has another years warranty and should last a good few years yet.
Bangernomics - Sprice
Good idea, get a banger. Buy something with a new MOT such as a Micra, Starlet, Charade, Civic, Corolla etc.
Hi There

Am going to take a look at a 1995 volvo 440 1.6 with full service history new brakes pipes new rear brake drums exhaust pipe starter motor with 53000 motorway miles on it.

500 quid How does that sound?
Bangernomics - Sprice
With a new MOT (you dont say about MOT) £500 is ok (try and undercut all the same!). These Volvos were made in the netherlands I'm sure so are not as solid as Scandinavian Volvos by all accounts and more prone to rot etc.
Bangernomics - jase1
<£500 = buy absolutely anything that's in good condition. Jap, French, Italian, American, Korean, whatever.

Not enough miles for engine size to be a major issue (except when it comes to tax, but that will be offset by the smaller purchase price and likely better reliability of an old, larger engine). Insurance will be negligible on a TPFT vehicle, so it's just a case of finding something with a year's test that looks like it'll give a couple of years' reliable motoring.

We found a 1998 Daewoo Nubira 1.6, and it cost us nowt. Don't necessarily go for the obvious choices because they're the ones that cost more since everyone else has the same idea -- so they cost more. Go for something people tend to forget about in the scrum. Nissans, Koreans, Fiats, Citroens.
Bangernomics - Happy Blue!
Frankly I would rather spend the three miles in the Polo. You know it will start when you get back off the train after a nightshift. And doing much lower mileage will reduce the average significantly, so improving its value as you drive it!
Bangernomics - Lud
Three miles from cold, regularly, won't do it any good at all.
Bangernomics - jase1
You know it will
start when you get back off the train after a nightshift.

Hmmm. The only time I've ever had a car let me down to the point where it wouldn't move was a 6-month-old works car. Go figure.

This kind of blanket statement doesn't hold IMO. Any car will struggle to start if the battery is duff -- which may end up happening if it's constantly driven 3 miles then left for days.
Bangernomics - ForumNeedsModerating
So I have decided to sell her 2005 VW polo 1.2 twist while it still has some equity and am going to replace it with a banger as she only needs it to get to next village around 2.5 miles away.

If you're living in rural area & really don't need a relaible, thrifty car (your Polo) - why do you need a car at all? If you do need a car ( big shopping items not catered for locally etc.) then why save a few bob on getting a very old car - especially, when your parter may be travelling alone and/or late. Your wife's a doctor - so one assumes you're not really on the bread-line...

Is she that keen (as it seems she'll be the driver - you don't mention yourself driving or needing to) on the banger route? From my own purely personal preferences & perspective, I would rather suffer the depreciation on a new-ish car than wonder whether the banger had got my partner to/from the station - think of those cold, wet, snowy dark winter nights....old batteries/electrical components etc. etc.

I think the bangernomics tendency do get a bit carried away with the saving money buzz. If you have no choice (or the choice is eating or driving!) well fine, but the thing about new (-ish) cars is that they're a nice warm blanket of reassurance - especially yours being in warranty. If I might be so bold - what is so important about the money you (might!) save - is it really better spent elsewhere?

All this from my own perspective & preferences - I don't know your context, circumstances or priorities etc. - so please don't take this as in any way judgemental or busybody-ish , it's just the thought process I would subject my own decisions to.
Bangernomics - local yokel
The trick with bangernomics is to find a car that has been very well maintained by its most recent (and you hope long term) owner.

You could buy a banger for £500, and find that a year later it needs four new brake hoses, new front discs and pads and easily rack up a bill of £400 odd. Or you could find it passes with nothing to pay bar the ticket.

Do your homework. I'd be looking more at the owner than the car. An old boy who has had the car for five or more years and has not scrimped on the maintenance would be where I'd start. that rules out Ebay, for a start.

Nisaan Primera is a good start.
Bangernomics - Chris White
You say between £500 and £1000. I'd put the £1000 into a 1.4/1.5 (biggest engine you can to get the cheaper tax) and something Japanese.

Say Nissan Almera, Mazda 323 (could get the coupe looking fastback if you search hard enough), Honda Civic ('95-'01 shape).

I'd steer the clear of the 440. It might be OK, but they're getting on a bit. Weren't they first around from 1989 or so?

Chris
Thanks for all your messages guys,

the volvo has had lots of work done as i said all the brakes and and pipes and drums etc has been done, it has been serciced every year and the guy selling it has only used it for motorway miles.

the MOT is until march 08 so plenty of time there.

the only other issue with the polo is that it has to be left in the station sometimes overnight, this village is kinda known for car to be scratched by kids and petty vandals so that is a bit of a headache.

Wew are not on the breadline but Junior docs don't earn too much and she would rather do this for at least a year then we can see what flash motor she wants then
Bangernomics - Pugugly {P}
bangernomics.tripod.com/

Seems not to have been updated for a while but still its an interesting site.
Bangernomics - tintin01
I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Carisma, very reliable though dull. Excellent value second hand.
tintin wanna sell it?

ifso how much for?
Bangernomics - GregSwain
Nissan Micra or Hyundai Accent - both readily available for a grand, and both vastly better than a Volvo 440.
Bangernomics - stunorthants26
440 is a very good car if not a drivers car. Mine was ultra reliable and would recommend buying a good one. The 1.8 is the model that I had and its particularly economical, diesel aside.
Bangernomics - Avant
I agree with Espada - keep the Polo. She's a doctor - no doubt under stress and working too-long hours. Having a reliable car which will start every time is more important than pure financial considerations. If the Polo hasn't been reliable (there are some bad VWs but not nearly as many as some people make out) then go for a Toyota of whatever size and vintage you can afford.

In any case I'd suggest that you or she take it out at the weekend, or once a week whenever she's off duty, for a 20-mile fast run - that will make all the difference to the life and performance of the car.
Bangernomics - barney100
2.5 miles? I think it would be cheaper getting a taxi./ even a £500 pound car with tax. insurance repairs mots etc will soon make a grand.
Bangernomics - rtj70
Well from my home to the main station (2-3 miles) is nearly £5 each way. So £10 per day or £50pw. Work 48 weeks and its £2400pa. Car therefore cheaper and more convenient. Although with an agreement with a taxi firm it could be a lot cheaper.
I agree except because we are rural taxis have to come from nearest town so thats 10 quid before we have even started, so we are looking at 20 quid a day.

Not worth it at all.

I reckon if the volvos miles are genuine at 53,000 and there is a servic history with all the work being done, then what have we got to lose?

only got two miles to travel, i will even change oil evetry 3000 miles.

ideal

kush
Bangernomics - rtj70
"I reckon if the volvos miles are genuine.... then what have we got to lose? only got two miles to travel"

You asked for advice and it seems car cheaper. What is not so sure is the Volvo. And lots think the Polo the better bet. It seems your wife is about to start a stressful, and hopefully well paid job and we are discussing putting her in a banger. I think not.

Apart from wanting her to get home, if I were a patient I'd expect her to be in work on time ;-)

I ended unexpectedly in hospital two weeks ago and was in over night. NHS brilliant then and had some tests since as out patient.

Let your partner drive what she wants/needs?

Question:

- Before the new clinical job in London she drives a Polo
- New job pays as well as before - and might be first position even?

So why trade in Polo? Yes could be scratched but that is fixable. Or am I missing something about Mrs Kush?
Bangernomics - mal
If it were me I Would want to be assured my wife was going to get home quickly and safely, not alone at some deserted railway station trying to start her car after the other commuters had left in their cars.
Ok there is one thing I have not made clear, This whole thing is the wife's decision.

As the job goes yes it is stressful, but well paid? well lets just say if you wanna make money become a banker or a lawyer not a doctor.

I am sorry you were in hospital two weeks ago and i hope whatever it was was resolved and your health is good now, but the reason you got treated well is because all NHS staff are there because they want to care for their patients.

If the car was to fail, we have got brwakdown cover and if this whole bangernomics thing did not work out then we have only lost 500 quid we could eaqsily walk into a dealership and order another new car.

The fact is we don't really care to much for cars and would rather spend money on other things.

We do not see the point in having money tied up in a car that will do 4 miles a day (2 miles each way)

The volvo does seem to have evry bit of work done to it and if i was in any doubt as to its condition i would walk away.

To be fair i have not been that impressed with reliability of the polo it has already had to have new brake discs and air con compressor who knows what can go wrong as the oil is only changed at variable service intervals.
It seems you've already made your mind about what your going to do before posting on here.

If the mileage is true, is the reason the Volvos had 'new brakes pipes new rear brake drums exhaust pipe starter motor' because it's been laid up somewhere for a while?

If you really want to change, I just think you can get a newer design (reliability, safety, comfort) for your money.

Chris
Bangernomics - AndrewMarc
I am really not sure why people on this site have to be so judgemental - It is assumed that he is cheap but why shouldnt he be cheap if he wants to be and all this about an old car not starting and the assumption that his wife will be in danger cos this has happened bemuses me.

Bangernomics is not about buying a banger as such it is about buying an older bit NOT neglected car that will run but might need expensive replacement parts in the future.

If like an earlier poster said the oil and fluids changed regularily and it is given a good blow out once a week why wont this car start.

Snobs the lot of you
Bangernomics - MichaelR
The problem with Bangernomics is that, whilst in theory its fantastic, in reality it involves driving around in old sheds.
Bangernomics - flunky
The problem with Bangernomics is that whilst in theory its fantastic in reality it involves
driving around in old sheds.

I can't believe some of the nonsense in this thread.

To get a <£1000 car you don't have to be driving an Austin Allegro - you will get a fairly modern (doesn't have to be shaped like a box) car, with whatever you want if you are flexible (leather, ac, sun roof, etc.) decent car.

And they don't break down that much at all, less to actually fail, sure you might get oil leaks, etc. but it's fairly unlikely to leave you stranded, certainly mine never did in 3 years.

I don't see that say a 1999 Mondeo with air con is by any means a shed.

I've been in far worse cars, and indeed in many countries in the world far older cars would be worth thousands. I remember reading that a 1982 Toyota Corolla (with doors hanging off, broken window winder/locks, etc.) would cost $10,000 in Myanmar when I was there.

Used cars are absurdly, ridiculously cheap, given their new cost. It's madness to pretend otherwise. I can lease my current car for £399/month, or buy it for £26k new, but why would I when it cost me £7k at 3.5 years old?

My 1930s house is not perhaps as practical as a modern one, might require more maintenance, but it doesn't mean it's a shed....
my sentiments exactly

Thank you Andrew
Bangernomics - J Bonington Jagworth
"my sentiments exactly"

Seconded. As for "it involves driving around in old sheds", here's my old shed, photographed about 5 minutes ago:

farm2.static.flickr.com/1096/965597182_43eef63a13_...g

I know I keep on about it, and I was really trying not to get sucked into this discussion, but there is an awful lot of rot talked about old cars.

Sorting the wheat from the chaff is still important, but badge snobbery, public misconceptions, garage warranty requirements and the increasing durability of most cars has led to an oversupply of older ones, with the result that some really nice examples are available for buttons. I paid £600 for this one, and if it lasts a year, it won't owe me anything. It has ABS, air-con, leather seats and a lovely-sounding V6.

My partner's 323 is two years older and she's had that for five years. So far it's needed a brake caliper and a rear exhaust box...
Bangernomics - legacylad
What is it please?
A Mazda Xedos 6. There's another bangernomics thread on the subject about 5 months ago, when I bought it (off Ebay).
Generally & not specifically to the OP here - but this fascination with saving a few quid & not concentrating on the sensible issue of what the thing is supposed to do, i.e. provide safe & comfortable passage through this unpredictable & sometimes dangerous world is to invite calamity. If it's not necessary, it's not necessary.

Bangernomics - AndrewMarc
again phrases such as "invite calamity" seem to be massivily strong - if the car doesnt start u can use the wireless person to person device that is a mobile phone to call a cab or husband.

If it were taken to the nth degree the husband should pick up the wife as the station is so dangerous (it seems) and she COULD be attacked while walking to the car

"comfortable passage" - i dont pay for comforts such as leather and heating cos i would rather have a penny in my pocket so as I dont live my life on the "never never"

He asked for comment on which car not whether to do or not

Clear???
the car has had all the work done i suppose rember i am about to inspect the car , is that its from 1995 not because its been laid up!

car that old will have had to been maintained!
He asked for comment on which car not whether to do or not

Clear???

Within the guidelines of this site,politeness & the forebearance of the Moderators, I will post what comments I see fit.
look guys its just a car, of course if the wife was stranded i would go get her.

We live in a hampshire village not moss side

there is no need to have a go at each other
Bangernomics - Flying Red
Older Volvos are solid and dependable. I ran an old 940 for a few years whilst I was working in a part of Manchester renowned for TWOCing. It was never touched and needed nothing more than routine servicing.

Provided this 440 is solid, safe and a runner, you haven't got much to lose. The "gotchas" on old Volvos are things like the a/c, electric seats and windows - inconvenient failures that are expensive to fix. The idea of bangernomics though is to view the car as disposable - in the event of MOT failure or uneconomic repair being necessary.

Your wife's mileage will be so low that if the 440 is mechanically sound now, it's unlikely to deteriorate to catastrophic failure in 12 months of use.

Go for it - it will be a learning experience that won't cost you very much. (Irony - how many here lose £3k/year in depreciation and think they are getting good value?)
Bangernomics - Sprice
As I said earlier kush, the £500 sounds ok (offer less anyway, say £420, what have you to lose?).

Nothing wrong with bangernomics, my current car I bought in November is a Mitsu Colt I paid £285 for with new MOT, new tyres all round, it had just had a cambelt, radiator etc etc too. Why do some people think you are going to get stranded? Most older cars have had most things replaced anyway.

Absoultely agree with you, sell the Polo, there are much better things to spend (waste) money on than a newer depreciating car.
Bangernomics - Garethj
Volvo parts prices might be more expensive, worth thinking about.

But as said, the condition of the individual car is more important than "is this model any good" because a cared for "rubbish" car will be more reliable than a neglected "good" one.

1990s Volvos, early '90s VWs (especially Passat and Polo), Mitsubishis, Nissans are all things I've had good experience with running on a shoestring.

I don't prescribe to the more hysterical posts on here; so what if it's driving a shed? I think the original question was for something that's basically 1 step up from a bicycle? If it breaks down it can be repaired in a day or two and a taxi can be used. And of course insinuating that new cars don't break down is insane...

I'll throw one more thing into the mix, when travelling by train the second largest cost is parking at the station, would a 50cc scooter be worth considering? I usually take my bicycle 3 miles to the station but it's on good roads through town, I wouldn't like to try it through NSL roads between villages.
Bangernomics - jase1
My caveat with driving older cars is that it's best if you have two of them, or at least two cars in the house. This way any occasional reliability trouble is mitigated by the fact that you can use the other car for the day. For most people, owning two cars is a luxury not a necessity, and you can get away with just the one on occasion.

For anyone who falls into this category, owning at least one older car makes perfect sense.

If you are relying on a car to get you to work etc, then I'd be getting something newer if I could afford it -- even a 2000-2001 car bought for about £1500 should prove just as reliable as a new car in 99% of situations.
Bangernomics - normd2
IMHO bangernomics only works if you chose a car that's popular and easy to work on. If its popular then motor factors will keep stock of parts as will the local scrap yard. This also implies that you'll be doing some,if not a lot,of the work on the car yourself. A £500 car needing work at a garage charging £40 - 50 an hour soon becomes uneconomic. Also the more popular the car is the more chance that a garage will be familiar with it so work should be done quicker if it has to be done by a garage. I don't think the 440 falls into this category. If you must get rid of the VW (and in your situation I think that's a mistake) go Japanese.
Bangernomics - LHM
IMHO bangernomics only works if you chose a car that's popular and easy to work on

I think that's an important point. 'Bangernomics' tends to appeal to more mechanically-minded owners who don't mind a bit of 'tinkering and fettling' to avoid ever-increasing garage labour rates.

I recently bought a Mercedes W124 280E for £600 (that's 98% depreciation!!) that needed a few things sorting (parking brake shoes, instrument cluster lights, front ant-roll bar bushes). £20 of Ebay bits and four hours of my labour resulted in another 12 months' MoT, but I dread to think how much an M-B dealer would charge :-)

The W124 is often cited as a good bangernomics candidate, but you do need to be mechanically (and electrically!)-savvy to avoid unwelcome expense. That 2.8 litre 24V straight-six engine is rather nice, however.....
Hi Gareth

You are right about station parking, but this is a rural station where parking is free, and to be fair I can't imagine the wife wanting to ride a 50cc on the roads.

She won't let me have a motorbike!
Bangernomics - Baskerville
to be fair I can't imagine the wife wanting to ride a 50cc
on the roads.
She won't let me have a motorbike!

Doctors are like that. Can't think why they prefer Volvos to motorbikes (racks brains trying to work out this unsolvable puzzle), but they do, in my experience.
Funny that she seems to get annoyed when i smoke too!?
Bangernomics - Gromit {P}
Hi Kush,
I can well understand your motivation to go the bangernomics route, having spent three years driving a 4 year old Punto two miles each way to catch a train to work.

The only suggestion I can offer is to calculate the actual cost carefully before you change the Polo. Consider what a 3 year old VW will sell for against the cost of buying the "banger", but also allow for a repair fund, AA/RAC membership (if you want it), possibly higher tax/insurance on a larger engine and whatever cost you may incur hiring a larger/newer car for holidays etc.

I did exactly this calculation when I was commuting (and, granted, making a two-hour cross-country trip every second weekend). The most cost-effective route has to keep the Punto and continue to run it until it becomes a "banger". Now that its reaching this point, I'll sell it to someone looking for their first car.

As to repairs, the FIAT has been well maintained from new, but has still needed an unscheduled repair each year (the most expensive of whcih cost £500) since turing 7 years old. Given the low price of UK "bangers", such repairs could find you looking for a replacement car every 12-18 months depending on your luck and judgement when buying.

But, as everybody's situation is different, you need to do the sums for your particular combination of circumstances.

HTH
- Gromit
Bangernomics - daveyjp
Rural area and the need for a reliable car? I wouldn't go down the bangernomics route.

I've done it in an urban area with regular public transport and plenty of garages within walking distance for the jobs I couldn't tackle, but cars never break down at a convenient time!

Any repair you can't do will take a couple of days to sort out - how do you manage then?
Bangernomics - rtj70
"I am sorry you were in hospital two weeks ago and i hope whatever it was was resolved and your health is good now, but the reason you got treated well is because all NHS staff are there because they want to care for their patients."

Thanks for the kind words. And I agree about the NHS staff.

Hope your wife gets a well paid doctor's job soon too - we need all the doctor's we can get IMHO.
Bangernomics - Muggy
Old shape Suzuki Swift 1 litre.

Very comfortable.

Very reliable.

Tax is £115.

Very fuel economic as well; I regularly better 40mpg in mine; one trip produced a measured 52.5mpg [ and it's an automatic! ].

After the three miles a day from cold treat it to an hour's NSL run once or twice a week - whatever make you buy.
Bangernomics - Muggy
Forgot to add - the Swift has another advantage; the radiator fan is driven by a dedicated motor, not off a belt.

This means if the fan fails you can nurse the thing a surprising distance without damage as long as you can keep above 20 30 mph most of the time. The only time I've ever had mechancical trouble with mine it was the radiator fan bearing failing on the M25; any other car I'd have been on the hard shoulder straight away. The Swift was able to keep going to a safer place with no trouble at all. [ I'll have to do a thread for that story sometime won't I? :-) ]
Bangernomics - pendulum
Whaaaat? Haven't all cars had electric fan motors for years? I've owned some old cars (my current one is 13 years old) but they have all been electric fans. Also if the fan stopped working it wouldn't matter unless you driving in conditions where the fan would have to kick in (driving slow). Why would you have been on the hard shoulder straight away in "any other car"?
Bangernomics - normd2
try telling my mate with the VW Bora what a great thing electric fans are.... Been part of a thread on here before.
Bangernomics - Garethj
I'm still not getting this "you'll need a second car for when it breaks down" stuff. For the last 5 years my better half has had 2 cars which cost £1500 each and were thrashed without mercy for 12,000 miles a year. Not a single breakdown and barely serviced once a year.

If you buy carefully you're no more likely to end up stranded than with a new car.
Bangernomics - Muggy
Ah - I didn't realise the motor driven fan was now standard...

[ You can tell I've only ever had the one car can't you?! ]
Bangernomics doesnt mean unreliable cars, thats an utter myth.
In the last 9 years I have owned 22 ( 3 at a time sometimes ) cars over the age of ten years old, none of which have broken down, from a 153k Jaguar to my trusty Reliant Rialto - its not the price that counts, its the car.
Most of those cars were doing over 1000 miles per month and aside from routine servicing, they didnt cost me very much at all. The trick is, unless you have a dead cert for the MOT pass, buy with 12 months ticket and sell with 6 as people will still buy a car with 6 months ticket on it.
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
What a load of nonsense has been written above! Old cars "break down" (by which I mean suffer a catastrphic mechanical failure which causes them to stop immediately and be unable to limp home) pretty much as frequently as new cars - i.e. never.

Needing a new exhaust, an engine rebore (?!), new brake pads, new tyres, new clutch is not generally an instant failure to be able to proceed.

Running an old car is cheaper than running a new car. Don't believe me? Well, where are the brand new MBs on council estates?

Go *really* cheap. Get a Mk ii Polo for under £150 with 12 months ticket.

I too have a well paid job but see no reason to spend unnecessary money on cars - which is why I am driving a car with NEGATIVE value.

OP is asking for a car to do 1500 miles per annum. It's actually close enough to walk... and in the unliekly event that it fails, there is the insurance of being able to obtain and afford a £20 cab ride. Yeah, 10% of the cost of the car, but so what? Mrs OP is wealthy enough.
Bangernomics - normd2
eh? how come breakdown services (rac, aa etc are such big business if cars never break down. Last year on the Astra the cambelt tensioner or something seized, belt was still there but no teeth and all the cam followers were just lumps of scrap metal - no limp home there. ECU on the Uno filled up with water and the car stopped dead or again on the Uno the electric pack on the dizzy failed - again a dead car. Then again coming back up the country the other week, the only cars I saw on the hard shoulder were all fairly newish but my H reg chugged past them all.
On the hard shoulder on the back of AA trucks yesterday - Laguna 04 plate and Megane CC... I soooo want a modern car dont I?

Simple cars have less to go wrong, so less will go wrong. Its hardly rocket science.
Bangernomics - Xileno {P}
Old cars - noisy, slow, often no ABS, no air con, crash protection of a pram.

No thanks, none of that.
Bangernomics - Sprice
Old cars - noisy slow often no ABS no air con crash protection of a
pram.

Don't go crashing then :)
Bangernomics - normd2
new cars; expensive to buy, depreciation, expensive to service to keep the warranty up, that gutted feeling when it gets marked.

No thanks, none of that.
Bangernomics - LHM
Old cars - noisy slow often no ABS no air con crash protection of a
pram.

As for the W124 280E mentioned previously:

Noisy? - er, no
Slow? - er, no
No ABS? - er, no
No air con? - er, no
crash protection? - seen worse
£600? - er, yes :-)

Bangernomics - Mapmaker
And for OP:

Old cars -

noisy - over 2.5 miles - so what?
slow - make what? 20 seconds difference over 2.5 miles.
often no ABS - doesn't have to be
no air con - over 2.5 miles?
crash protection of a pram - compared to the current super mini? Much better off in a 440.

Sorry, better 'virtually never' rather than 'never'. It's not like the good old days, is it.
Bangernomics - nick
We're talking about a 3 mile journey. So noise, speed, comfort, aircon, abs etc are of little consequence. Crash protection? Much more than a push bike or motorcycle, just don't do silly speeds and don't crash!
I'd scour the local papers for a dirt cheap sub-£500 car with a years ticket and hopefully some tax. Smallest engine possible so it warms up quickly, hopefully an pensioner's ex-runabout. Buy a disk-lok as scroats will steal anything and enjoy(!) cheap motoring.
reckon volvo has got alright crash protection
Part of the trick of being successful at bangernomics is finding well-made cars that are unloved by the market, but are easy to fix, reliable etc.

The Jetta/Vento is one such model - all the underpinnings of the Golf, but of no interest to the younger set, or anyone in fact.

It's not a total steal, but this is the kind of ad that would appeal to me:

oxford.gumtree.com/oxford/57/12057857.html - clearly there are lots more questions to be asked, but anyone who gives a car a full service just before selling it may be a "good" owner!
Bangernomics - normd2
I'm actually more suspicious of the 'recent full service' ads. I can just picture the mechanic saying, 'your widget twaddle is going to go soon - better sell it while it's still going'....
A fair point, but the 12 months MoT may provide some reassurance.
I always used to sell cars with a recent oil change atleast as it means its one thing the buyer wont feel they have to do straight away.
Reducing the buyers ammo for knocking down the price can make many quite helpless but to pay full whack as there arent that many clued up buyers out there despite the wealth of help to make them so. In that respect and if you have nerve, its a sellers market unless your selling something odd.
I'm actually more suspicious of the 'recent full service' ads. I can just picture the
mechanic saying 'your widget twaddle is going to go soon - better sell it while
it's still going'....

I've always been suspicious of cars that say 'recent full service' for that reasonn and shy'd away from them as a result. The same for me when someone says that the cars comes with a stack of receipts for work and go onto say how many £1000s they've spent on the car in the last few years.

That, to me, is not a good thing.

Chris
Bangernomics - neil
"when someone says that the cars comes with a stack of receipts for work and go onto say how many £1000s they've spent on the car in the last few years.

That, to me, is not a good thing.

Chris"

Good, leave them for me, I'll have lots like that thanks! Far rather they paid than I had to!

;-)
Bangernomics - jase1
Good leave them for me I'll have lots like that thanks! Far rather they paid
than I had to!

:)

Depends on what's been done though doesn't it?

Yeah, a long list of brake discs -- cambelt -- brake pipes -- exhaust -- battery is one thing, but "got the gearbox overhauled" -- "fixed the aircon that packed up" -- "engine rebuild" -- etc etc does not inspire confidence.

A reliable car simply doesn't ever need things like that doing, and certainly not multiple instances. That kind of work implies money pit, and I for one would run away too.
Bangernomics - neil
"Depends on what's been done though doesn't it?"

Well, I can sort of see where you're coming from with this- but as long as its been done somewhere legit, with suitable bills to prove ahat a 'rebuild' was, I'd be ecstatic with a rebuilt gearbox, engine and new evaporator... the last being the straw that broke the seller's back and made the car the one for me!

I once bought a Volvo 440 that had been a second car from new, been 'babied' and overserviced and had cost a fortune over the last twelve months - tyres, discs and pads, battery, clutch, new exhaust, and - perhaps worryingly, 'recent exchange gearbox' - which was fitted by a Volvo dealer, was a Volvo exchange unit and decided the owner that despite his wife liking her car, it was time for a new Yaris for her! the bills were in the region of £3k, the Volvo dealer refused to make any offer as a part ex and the Toyota dealer offered him £800 - or a five hundred discount for no part-ex. I got it for £800 and sold it two years later for more than that, having had to spend at least £40 on ... erm, oil changes!

That's how I like them!
"there are lots more questions to be asked"

Like what 'steel alloys' are! :-)

I agree with your main argument, though. Some cars, like the Jetta/Vento (and saloon versions of more popular estates, like Volvos and Legacies) seem to be curiously unloved, at least in this country.
Bangernomics - moonshine

I have a 23 year old car :-

Noisy - no
Slow - 0-60 in 7.9
ABS - no, but it has disks all round and 225 tyres, it stops very nicely.
Air con - yes
crash protection - hard to say, no air bags but its a fairly large car so might not be too bad.

Just picked up an omega estate, 1999 for a grand from a dealer with 30 days warrenty, new cambelt, exhaust and a service. One years MOT.

Noisy - no
Slow - 2.0 ecotec, seems to go quite nicely.
ABS - yes
Air con - yes
Crash protection - yes, largge car with air bags.

Dont forget that over the last few years have got pretty good, its getting ever harder to improve on them. In fact, some cars seem to get worse as they get newer...
Bangernomics - GregSwain
In fact some cars seem to get worse as they
get newer...

Shhh! People will realise they've been wasting their money on all these new cars which are bought purely for image/keeping up with the Joneses. Without excuses such as "better crash protection" and "quieter engine" and "it's quicker", people would actually have to admit why they're really buying new cars. We'll just save all the money they waste, and drive with equally smug looks on our faces.
"omega estate, 1999 for a grand from a dealer"

That's quite impressive - how many miles? Dealers really do seem to be wary of anything more than about 6 years old, and also reflect the usual customer view of anything with more than 100k on it. Good news for the rest of us, though!
This sort of thing's a good buy, too, IMHO:

tinyurl.com/2fx993
Bangernomics - flunky

Almost any non-German car is a good used buy really.
Bangernomics - TurboD
late Skoda Felicia are bargains if low miles , serviced by 'aged' owners.
no one will nick it either, or break in- nothing worth stealing.
They are a great deal I think for short jouneys and body well made too, simple engine 1.3
worth a thought
Bangernomics - Cliff Pope
There are two kinds of bangernomics:

1) for the mechanically minded DIYer who enjoys looking after his own car
2) for the person who just wants a cheap car, doesn't care about looks, comfort, noise, etc, but just wants it to work.

If you are in category 1, look at the service history, look at the previous owner, look at parts availability, ease of maintainance, etc (incidentally although genuine Volvo parts can sometimes be pricey, there are plenty of places offering a wide range of virtually all parts very cheaply)

In category 2, the trick is to be utterly ruthless. Buy a car, any car, with the longest MOT at the lowest price. When it stops working or fails the MOT, SCRAP it unless the repair bill is less than £100. Buy another car.

If you are in category 1 and have another car in the family, the easiest way of achieving the occasional longer run is just to swap over once in a while.
Bangernomics - retgwte
not convinced

in category 2 the choice of car is critical, go for a jap car that will keep going forever, corolla, lancer, etc, or one of the mass cars which have the advantage of cheap parts ie astra, mondeo etc, and its often viable, although you are taking a chance youve picked up a dodgy car in which case swap it as soon as you realise, best if you can source the car from someone you know (whoever gets my dads car for instance will get a bargain)

avoid fiat, renault, etc at all costs, is another key

Bangernomics - jase1
As I've said though, the third option is to get something with stone-like depreciation. This is borderline non-bangernomics though, as it involves getting a car for about £1000 that is still only about 5 or 6 years old. Something like a Hyundai, or a Daewoo, like that W-reg Lanos mentioned above for £600.

A car like this will last another 5 years if looked after well. Yes it'll doubtless need work over that time, but the fundamentals are reliable and the way the after-sales packages work on these cars it's a sure bet that they'll have been properly looked after for the first few years at least. They also tend to be bought by older drivers who don't thrash them about.

Parts won't be too bad if you get a model that had been around a couple of years before and after the chosen one was made, and the chances are you'll get 3 or 4 good years out of it at a cost of maybe £200 a year.

Given that these cars tend to be loaded with toys, that's not a bad alternative to the £100 wreck every 6 months plan that some folk employ.
Bangernomics - movilogo
etc, or one of the mass cars which have the advantage of cheap parts ie astra, mondeo etc

Usually it is the labour cost that sucks on old cars!
Bangernomics - GregSwain
Usually it is the labour cost that sucks on old cars!

Exactly, which is why they're great for DIY. Vast amounts of money can be saved by buying the parts and bolting them on yourself. Example - dashboard light blew on my Almera and I couldn't see the speedo in the dark. Cost £1.99 for new bulb, took me an hour to dismantle dashboard and fit it. Potentially £50 labour costs saved. Neighbour's 306D needed a new stop solenoid - fitted it for him for free, took me 2 minutes, £13 part. I'm certain some garages would've charged 30 mins labour, so again potentially £25 saved.

If you intend on taking an old car to a garage even for the smallest things, don't bother buying one.
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
>>If you intend on taking an old car to a garage even for the smallest things, don't bother buying one.

Or learn to live with blown dash bulbs. Or equally, dash bulbs can blow on new cars and you have to fix them and it costs hundreds at the main dealer. Maintenance costs are generally lower on older cars.
Bangernomics - jase1
Or learn to live with blown dash bulbs.

Never had a blown dash bulb in a combined 11 years of driving. Must have been lucky :)

Blown parking lights/brake bulbs etc, yes.
Bangernomics - henry k
Never had a blown dash bulb in a combined 11 years of driving. Must have been lucky :)

Many years since I had a dash bulb go but that has just changed:--
I have just had the " Service required" bulb fail on my 98 Mondeo.
I think I will learn to live with it :-))
Bangernomics - GregSwain
Or learn to live with blown dash bulbs.

At the time most of my driving was at night - it soon became annoying having a big black spot where the speedo should've been! For the sake of £2 I decided to replace it. Maybe would've been cheaper still if I hadn't bought the bulb from Halfords.
Bangernomics - LHM
The downside to DIY is that it's tempting to think "my time doesn't cost anything".

On the face of it, that's true - but there are family/social costs to bear, particularly when that '½-hour job' takes up a whole weekend....

Costing out DIY repairs at one's day job hourly rate can be a sobering experience :-)
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
>>This [6 year old 1k car with all toys] is borderline non-bangernomics though, as

This is EXACTLY what bangernomics is about. It is about implausibly cheap motoring compared to your peers. Whether you are on a salary of 10k and need a car, any car and really can't afford one, or whether you are on a salary of 100k and are not a badge snob (and don't drive to work...(!!!)).
Bangernomics - flunky
This is EXACTLY what bangernomics is about. It is about implausibly cheap motoring compared to
your peers. Whether you are on a salary of 10k and need a car any
car and really can't afford one or whether you are on a salary of 100k
and are not a badge snob (and don't drive to work...(!!!)).

I make rather north of £100k, and having replaced £1k with £7k, I'm not entirely convinced it's worth it (I drive only at weekends).... Sure, it cost £26k new, but it too will be worth £1k in a few years.

I am rather cheap :-)
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
My car is worth less than 1% of my salary. And less than 0.1% of the house I just sold.

Can anybody beat that.
Bangernomics - OldHand
Depends what you mean by 'bangernomics'. The version I used to practice used to involve buying 5K mass market fodder at auction or private sales and running them until they were about to require consumables/service and then selling them on for more or less what I paid for them. Quite often more if I was lucky.

5K mondeo-7 or 8 k miles in 7 or 8 months, sell it through the free-ads or autotrader and repeat.

Worked well when I was commuting into town and had to leave my cars in railway station car parks but to be honest when it comes down to it this kind of motoring is largely enjoyment free.
Bangernomics - flunky
My car is worth less than 1% of my salary. And less than 0.1% of
the house I just sold.
Can anybody beat that.

Depends if you're talking about sale or purchase price.... My last car was worth about 0.2% of my salary before it got written off.
Bangernomics - Bill Payer
It?s all very well paying £7K for a car that was £26K new but in flunky?s case, the Polo his missus has is probably only worth about £5K in a private sale (a hassle itself).
Then he?s got to traipse around and hunt down a suitable replacement ? no mean feat.

Maybe there is money to be saved, but most people?s time is important too. Chances are that the Polo will run for years yet with nothing more than routine servicing.

Bangernomics maybe works if you?re lucky, or if you?re prepared to average out some losses over a number of cars. Where do you draw the line ? on any relatively modern 'banger' if the ECU goes, or the ABS antilock valve fails then you?re looking at a write-off.
The 1986 Polo we had without any electronics (apart from the radio) etc could probably be kept going for ever.

I?ve mentioned it before, but someone I know through work was thrilled to buy a (not very) old 7 Series BMW for £3K. Then the climate control stuck on max heat and the estimate to fix it was?.£3K. Last I heard he was driving around with all the windows wide open.
Sorry - I've no idea why I wrote 'flunky' above - I meant 'kush'.
When considering his options the OP should do his sums:

Option 1 - keep the Polo:

Servicing and MoT - local indy - say £200 pa
Depreciation - say 15% pa if owned for the next 3 years - £750
Cost of captial - say 5% for ease of sums - £250

Total £1,200 (depreciation may be on the high side, though)

Option 2 - spend £1,000 on a cheapy

Servicing and MoT - indy - say £250
Depreciation - assume owned for three years and sold running - £225 pa
Cost of capital - £50

Total - £525

Difference - £675 - over three years - £2,025 - a decent sum, but if the banger went South early in the period, it could be halved.
I would keep the Polo until it drops. Depreciation is irrelevent unless you sell it.
Bangernomics - movilogo
particularly when that '½-hour job' takes up a whole weekend

And if you end up messing more (rather than fixing), you'd be paying more for mechanic's labour! LOL
Bangernomics maybe works if you?re lucky, or if you?re prepared to average out some losses over a number of cars.

That's the whole point! Bangernomics is not everyone's cup of tea.

From my own and friends'/colleagues' experience, I have calcualted that one needs to account for £1000 per year (or roughly £100 per month) for a car (excl. fuel). For old cars, it would go to fix it as and when required. For new cars, it will be depreciation.
Bangernomics - flunky
From my own and friends'/colleagues' experience I have calcualted that one needs to account for
£1000 per year (or roughly £100 per month) for a car (excl. fuel). For old
cars it would go to fix it as and when required. For new cars it
will be depreciation.

And (main dealer?) servicing.....
>Depreciation is irrelevent unless you sell it.

Depreciation is relevant, as you should allow for replacing the car with an equivalent newer model when you sell it, which will happen eventually. OK, the annual figure will tail off, but there is still a cost to be borne in time.
"Depreciation is relevant, as you should allow for replacing the car with an equivalent newer model when you sell it,"

But that's my point, DON'T sell it.
Bangernomics - whoopwhoop
For many people, the car is just a means of transport, and therefore bangernomics is a way of spending as little as possible on their car, thus enabling them to spend their money on things they do enjoy. I applaud that and wish them the best of luck.

For many however (myself included), their car is a source of enjoyment, pride and passion. For us, driving round in a banger holds no appeal. I'd much rather spend £££'s on a nice shiny motor that I have pride in, and that I enjoy, that has the latest spec, the latest gadgets, is nice and tight, latest design etc.

Neither approach is wrong. We're not all the same! I'm just suprised there are so many of the "former" on a motoring forum!
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
>>I'd much rather spend £££'s on a nice shiny motor that I have pride in, and that I enjoy, that has the latest spec, the latest gadgets, is nice and tight, latest design etc.

Good. I'm glad you do. Keep the supply of 6 year old sub £1000 cars coming! Personally I have never taken more pride and joy in a car than a £400 20 year old MB that I had for 3 months before somebody liked it even more than I did and pinched it.

>>I'm just suprised there are so many of the "former" on a motoring forum!

This is a motoring forum. It's not a how to buy a new car forum. Many of those who post have an academic/technical interest in cars - look at the popularity of the technical forum - rather than an interest in the level of shine and the income of the main dealer. I don't think it's strange at all - in fact I am surprised by the numbers of sensible posters here who will spend tens of thousands of BORROWED cash on a lump of tin.
Bangernomics - normd2
it's the driving itself I love - doesn't matter to me what it is, ropey transit or 6 litre Merc, I've had great fun in both.
True story, client in Amsterdam caught me admiring his brand new AMG Merc coupe 'ever driven one?' he says 'no says i' so in we get me in the driving seat, 'touch the gearlever' he says and the thing fires up, out onto the road and he's saying 'see how fast you can get it to go' whooohoooo!
Bangernomics - madf
"I'm just suprised there are so many of the "former" on a motoring forum! "

You should get out more often:-)
madf
"I'm just suprised there are so many of the "former" on a motoring forum! "
You should get out more often:-)
madf

Why?
Nice to see the "I'm right, so you must see the world my way" brigade are in full swing!

Reminds me of certain historic world leaders...

Why not just be happy doing it your way, and let others be happy doing it their way?
Bangernomics - DP
Neither approach is wrong. We're not all the same! I'm just suprised there are so
many of the "former" on a motoring forum!

My decision to drive an older / lower value car is based on what I need that car to do rather than any inherent preference for driving an old car. Namely:

Covers about 600 miles in a typical working week, so it can't drink fuel.
Must start in the mornings and get me where I need to be without playing up.
Must be fixable quickly, by me, if it goes wrong. I can't have it off the road in a dealer workshop for a week while it goes through a lengthy diagnostic process, or awaits parts that can only come from a dealer network. I need something I can get parts for in any motorist discount shop or even Halfords (at a push) and fit myself in an evening or over a weekend.
The biggest consideration of all: It gets parked in a station car park for 9 hours every day. The number of dinks and marks it's picked up over the past two years would have reduced me to tears on a car that I loved, and took pride in. They're merely slightly irritating on this car.
No self respecting joyrider would want it, no professional car thief would even notice it, and it doesn't even register on an envy vandal's radar.
Must be comfy and relaxing enough to deal with the rush hour M25 traffic conditions I endure every day (comfy seats, cold air-con and a decent stereo basically), and cruise comfortably at 70-80 for the average 5 miles of my commute where its possible.
With a 3* NCAP rating, it's safe to cart the kids about in if I need to, and more than practical enough to take over main family transport duties should anything happen to the Scenic.

It's a tool for a job basically, and it does it well. I nearly spent £15k on a beautiful one owner BMW 330i that a friend was selling last year, but if that picked up half the marks the Mondeo has since, I would have been in tears. I would even argue that the traffic conditions I endure every day rarely even exercise the Mondy's whopping 90 bhp.

A major service costs me £50 and a couple of hours of my time, and if it fell apart tomorrow, I'd get the breakers to tow it away, and go out and buy exactly the same again without much emotion at all. This car doesn't owe me a penny, I don't love it or lavish attention on it. It's serviced to the schedule, and kept roadworthy, and beyond that I don't much care.

If I changed jobs and worked closer to home and could leave my car in a secure office car park, I'd go and buy that Beemer. At the moment it would be thoroughly pointless, and akin to chucking money straight down the toilet.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
"driving round in a banger holds no appeal. I'd much rather spend £££'s on a nice shiny motor that I have pride in, and that I enjoy"

The point you seem to be missing is that, apart from the £££'s, the two are not mutually exclusive. My banger is very shiny (see photo above), I'm proud of it, and I enjoy driving it. In fact, I get additional pleasure from the fact that it doesn't represent a major investment or repayment scheme...
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
When considering his options the OP should do his sums:

Option 1 - keep the Polo:

Servicing and MoT - local indy - say £250 pa
Depreciation - say 20% pa if owned for the next 3 years - £1000
Cost of captial - say 10% for ease of sums - £500

Total £1 750 (servicing may be on the low side though)

Option 2 - spend £500 on a cheapy

Servicing and MoT - indy - say £150
Depreciation - assume owned for three years and sold running - £50 pa
Cost of capital - £50

Total - £250

Difference - £1500 - over three years - £4500 - a very decent sum and if the banger does five years then the saving will be (on the basis of replacing the Polo with a new one as many of the posters on here change their cars as often as their socks) closer to £7500.

If you're a 41% taxpayer, that's nearly £13000 of earned income.
If you're a 41% taxpayer that's nearly £13000 of earned income.

There's no such thing as a 41% tax rate.
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
Oh yes there is. I'm a tax accountant so I should know. You are.
Bangernomics - nick
40% income tax plus 1% NI.
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
>>You are

As in, you are a 41% tax payer.
Ah, 40% TAX + 1% NI... I see.
>>You are
As in you are a 41% tax payer.

How do you know that???!
Bangernomics - LinuxGeek
I don't know why so many people think that for £1000 or so you'll buy nothing but a totally unreliable car! I bought a Toyota Starlet for £1100 for myself last year, drove it for 6 months or so then bought Volvo S40 and gave my Starlet to my dad. We've had it for over a year and nothing has gone wrong with the car so far. I used to drive it for Pizza delivery and on numerous occasions it has been driven to Leeds from London without a hitch. The car has done 110k miles, its 1300cc.
Kush IMO get any Japanese or Korean car which looks in good order and taken car of by previous owners and your wife would have as reliable car as her Polo.
Alright guys we did it, we bought the 440 full service history brakes the lot.

mot for a year got it for 350 quid in the end.

was impressed as to how smooth it was just drove it back from london didn't miss a beat!
Bangernomics - Pugugly {P}
Well keep us posted as to how it goes over the next few months !
"just drove it back from london"

In which case, you've nearly saved its purchase cost over the rail fares already! :-)

Good luck with it...
Bangernomics - Sprice
Well done kush, sounds a good deal, esp. with a new ticket.
Report back in a year with info on the costs and experiences of ownership. It sounds like a great station car, and you'll be happy loading it up for trips to to tip as well.
Bangernomics - Cliff Pope
It would be quite interesting to have updates over the months/years to come. So often we only hear the rather selective stories after the event, sustaining someone's argument and justifying their method or criticising someone else's.
In this case we have heard the pros and cons right from the start, and don't obviously yet know the outcome.

As has been said, one drawback will be the persistent low-mileage useage. I swap my short-journey classic for my commuting car once in a while, and give it a good long work-out.
Bangernomics - normd2
here's my bangernomics update then:

As some of you may recall the 17 year old Previa failed it's MOT mainly for a leaking NSF shocker.
It also had a 22% front brake imbalance the limit being 25%, mind you it didn't 'feel like it. So back home and front wheels off and had a look prior to getting in about the brakes. What I saw made me think again, nothing had been touched on the NSF for years, maybe even 17. So back to the local indie MOT garage it went and here?s the bill:

Repairs labour £110
Remove corroded and seized bolts, replace NSF suspension
Strut. Replace brake pipe to NSF calliper.
Free off seized calliper slides and replace worn brake pads.
Bled and tested brakes.
Replace 3 bulbs (forgot to do these myself :( )
Suspension strut £127
Brake pad set £35.39
Brake pipe and fluid £5.50
Bulbs £2.25

Total £329.16 inc vat

Bearing in mind I only paid £500 for it last November you may think this almost uneconomical. However in the time I?ve had it found it to be a reliable competent car ? hide the number plates and you?d struggle to guess its real age, (also better then the one it was bought as a donor car for) so I now have something to transport the family that the MOT guy called a ?fine solid old car? that?s cost me £829.16 to date with a year?s MOT on it again. Show me a comfy, trustworthy 8 seater with a year?s ticket at that price ? no don?t I might buy it :)
This is my idea of bangernomics ? do what you can but spend some of what you save on purchase price by calling in the professionals when the going gets tough.

Ps the OSF strut looks like it was replaced not long before I bought it so no ?imbalance? worries there.
Kush - I'd be interest to know how you sold the Polo, and what you got for it?
Bangernomics - jase1
normd2, you've hit it on the head.

I don't value cars in terms of how much they'd cost to replace, but in terms of how good the car has been to me.

If a car needs £300 worth of work, and is worth maybe £400, many people would just scrap it. As far as I am concerned though, that car could be worth 400 pence, and if it has been totally reliable to that point and shows no evidence that that is going to change, I'll happily pay the man his £300.

Personal valuation means so much more than what the book says.

This goes for new cars as well -- I knew a guy who really wanted a Focus, but went for the Golf as it would cost him less over the 3 years he planned to own it. This is silly really -- if it's a car you really like, just keep it for 4 or 5 years rather than the three, this levels out the playing field. It's this slavery to the system that costs folk money, far more than any brand snobbery.
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
My bangernomic update

My father died in January 2004 leaving a 99 T reg Vectra with under 40k. A dealer would have given about 1k for it. I kept it.

Since then it has cost me:

MOTs 3x £40 = £120
Oil change & inspection 2x £40 = £80
New alternator £220 (if it had failed closer to home it would have cost me £20 plus a couple of hours, but if didn't).
New top for engine iirc £350 incl labour owing to failure of a bit of plastic.
Second hand tyre £25

Total £795

I have also had £700 out of somebody else's insurance company in exchange for a broken rear bumper.

I have not had the cambelt changed. I have not had the aircon pump replaced so the aircon doesn't work. It might or might not benefit from a new EGR valve but the garage said not to bother. It has a slight misfire that makes next to no difference that the garage said to wait until it caused a problem.

I reckon I would get between £500 and £1000 for it on eBay even as it is. So that puts depreciation at between £0 and £500. If I paid a dealer to fix what needs fixing it might cost me £2k.

So 30 months' motoring has cost me somewhere between £95 and £595. And I am driving a modern car that eats up the motorway miles very easily.

My bangernomic experience, or one of them atleast.

Bought a 94 M reg Astra van diesel with the LPT engine. Smoked like hell under hard accelaration and very difficult to start but I paid £300 with 2 months ticket. Changed the glow plugs and the oil, seemed to help on both fronts.
Stuck some tax on it and ran it till ticket ran out. For the MOT I had one CV boot replaced - that was it and it passed easily with no advisories. So far inc tax it had cost me £490. Had to re-tax it for another 90 quid or so.

Ran it for another 6 months, then sold it to a local business as their run around van for £800 cash.

I got 3/4 of a year of good use outta the van and made a £150 profit. Bangernomics at its very best I thought!

Bangernomics - madf
Youngest son's bangeromics.
1993 Fiesta 1.1 £950 4 years ago and 50k miles now 99k. New clutch/tyres wishbone.. Now rust has won so ..
tinyurl.com/yrtfhd
will replace it///

madf
Bangernomics - cockle {P}
Well I've always really been a bangernomics man, in early years because of financial need, now because of financial sense and it fits my needs; I don't do much private mileage as I have a van for work and wife has her own car, so all I really want is a town car to get to Scout meetings, cricket club and the theatre, all places where parking is often tight.

Therefore, I run a 1990 Fiesta 1.1, admittedly I've known the car from new; it was my father's retirement present to himself. When he passed on it came to me in 1997 with 22k on the clock, it now has 45k on it.

As far as I'm concerned I can ignore the usual costs of oil, tax, rubber, pads, etc as they would incur on any car, I can insure it for £160 ish per annum, it does 34-38mpg so pushes the right buttons there.

Total additional costs in the last ten years, battery £28, alternator £32, wishbone £97. Oh, nearly forgot, new back box two months ago, £29, fitted.

Nearly all of the mechanics are still in the realms of DIY, if I want them to be, the electronics are simple and won't bankrupt me if they go wrong.

Oh, yes it has 'broken down', once, when I left the interior light on over a weekend.

OK, it hasn't got power steering, just means the biceps don't need a work out at the gym! It also doesn't have air con, it has a sun roof. Doesn't have electric windows either but it does have those windy handle things, remember them?

It fits in parking spaces a lot of other cars would cry at.

When someone dings it with a door or scratches it in a car park it really doesn't spoil my day as it's worth a bag of chips.

And all the time the MOT man keeps coming out with his usual disbelieving shake of the head and wry smile saying 'nothing much wrong there, mate, see you next year', he will.

Perhaps I've been lucky but I've found that in the 30+ years I've been running bangers that if you buy reasonably carefully and maintain as you should and are prepared to know when a car must go to the breaker rather than to the repairer then you rarely lose, and if you do make a mistake it doesn't cost a fortune. If I had to have a reliable vehicle that must start every time for work and give an image to my customers then I would almost certainly go the other way as my company does with the van fleet. But I don't.

And the best bit is it amuses people every year when I turn up for cricket matches and they still can't believe I'm still driving around in my old faithful. Of course the kids are ashamed of me, but I'm not going to go there.... :-)

Cockle
Bangernomics - tyro
Mapmaker wrote: 'My car is worth less than 1% of my salary. And less than 0.1% of the house I just sold. Can anybody beat that?'

No. However the bill for the most recent service of my 5 year old Berlingo was greater than 1% of my salary!

Done by a back street independent who charged £30 per hour for labour. It did include a timing belt change, however.

Bangernomics - sony
At the end of the day, motoring is one of the pleasures in life. I've always loved cars and driving. I really don't see the point in owning a 1.1 Fiesta. What's the pleasure in that???
It will be rusty, slow, ugly, and have absolutely no creature comforts. Now I understand people not interested in motoring or cars owning one to simply get from A-B and not give a toss how it looks like or if it got dinged or scratched. But surely 99.9% of us on this forum are into motoring as a hobby, so most of us wouldnt really be into a 1.1 fiesta??
I for one owned old bangers for a while, and whilst economically owning one made sense,they were dull to drive, looked rubbish, and so on... Driving one didn't make me have that "feel good" factor that a new car with more creature comforts and power make you feel.
"Driving one didn't make me have that "feel good" factor that a new car with more creature comforts and power make you feel."

I'd agree with you if the roads in the SE were pleasurable to drive, but they are not. So I spend my money to get my pleasure on activities that Nanny has not interfered with.
There are old cars with creature comforts and nor are they any slower than todays cars, atleast anything from mid 80's onwards isnt. GTi are often faster than their latter day counterparts, mainly because they weigh about half what they do today.

As for feelgood factor - buy something other than a mid range box and they can be as interesting as anything modern.
A nice old Jag has 90% of todays creature comforts and more than acceptable performance, all for about a grand. Seems like a bargin to me.

Bangernomics - DP
The big progress in the last 20 years has been in crash safety, material quality and standard kit. For example you get air-con as standard on a mid spec supermini these days, whereas 20 years ago it might have been a cost option on your top end family saloon. An entry level family car will typically come with everything you need nowadays.

In other areas though, it hasn't been all progress. A 1980's mk2 Cavalier 2.0i is quicker in every respect except top speed than a 2.0 Vectra you could go and buy today (ditto Sierra/Mondeo, 405/407, Citroen BX/C5 etc etc. Even Peugeot can no longer match the handling magic of the 1985 205 GTi, and look how long it took VW to get close to the driving brilliance of the mk1 Golf GTI, and how much power they had to throw at the mkV to do it. A 1987 Astra GTE 16v would crack 60 in under 7 seconds and do a genuine 135 mph, the best M3 to drive is supposed to be the original E30 model..... the list goes on.

If you're going to crash, or if you want to be cosseted while you play with lots of toys, cars have never been better. If you want to drive and enjoy yourself, buy something from the 80's or early 90's, spend a few hundred quid getting it fit, and fill your boots.

It depends what you want from a car.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Bangernomics - Mapmaker
For raw driving experience, nothing beats a 4-speed MK II Polo (but not the economy one). I am dead serious; for a journey that is not a long motorway journey I would choose it every time over something newer.
"look how long it took VW to get close to the driving brilliance of the mk1 Golf GTI, and how much power they had to throw at the mkV to do it."

I remember reading a comparison between the original Lotus Cortina (simple, light, chuckable) with the Focus ST170, which has about the same power-to-weight ratio (because it's so much heavier) and feels more leaden. Not RWD, either. Progress, eh?
Bangernomics - normd2
I owe my life to the build quality of a 1979 Datsun 120Y - doing a steady legal 60mph a guy came out of the left on a crossroads and I 't-boned' him. I had no chance to brake so hit him full speed. Both front doors of my car still opened although the car was considerably shorter. OK so I lost my front teeth on the wheel but the engine and gearbox went down and under the car and I and my dad walked away to tell the tale. Old doesn't mean dangerous.
"If you're going to crash, or if you want to be cosseted while you play with lots of toys"

Or crash while distracted by the toys! Can't help feeling that they contribute to more than a few...
"to get my pleasure on activities that Nanny has not interfered with"

Not many of those left, thanks to the Beloved Leader...
>that "feel good" factor that a new car..

It doesn't have to be new to make you feel good. Having just witnessed (well, heard the crunch and gone to investigate) some hapless visitor rear-end a large pickup that had stopped to turn right, I'm only too glad not to be driving round in something that represents a year's salary!