Jumping out of 5th gear. - chupichulo
Hi folks, For some time my Peugeot 306 was jumping out of 5th gear. Irritating, but a light touch on the gearstick could usually keep it in. Last time I had some work done on it, I mentioned the problem to Mr Mechanic, but he either wasn't able to do anything about it or just didn't look at it.
The work he did cost me 600 euros and that was quite enough!!
Anyway, guess what.... now it won't go into 5th at all. It's OK as I take my foot off the clutch but as soon as I touch the gas pedal it pops out and continued pressure on the gearstick makes for a very unpleasant grinding feeling/noise.
So on Monday, it's back to see Mr Mechanic again.

Another mechanic mate said it could be a simple job, ie cheap, or it could be a big job, depends what the problem is. Not a great deal of help really but he did suggest just changing the gearbox instead of trying to strip it down and correct the problem.
My question is this..... Anyone encountered this before? Will changing the gearbox sort it out?
Thanks.

slt to accommodate the drop down menu whatsit

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 18/11/2007 at 21:02

Peugeot 306 5th gear. - Aprilia
Sounds like wear or damage to the synchro (although I must say that I'm no expert on Pugs) - but just check the linkage first. Yes, a decent s/hand gearbox should cure it....
Peugeot 306 5th gear. - L'escargot
For some time my Peugeot 306 was jumping out of 5th gear. .........
a light touch on the gearstick could usually keep it in.

Are you sure this wasn't partly self-inflicted? Keeping hold of the gear lever can lead to synchro wear, and according to Aprilia synchro wear/damage can result in the car jumping out of gear.
--
L\'escargot.
Peugeot 306 5th gear. - 659FBE
It's possible that the nut securing the 5th gearset to either the input shaft or mainshaft (there's one on each) has become loose.

As these are located under a pressed extension of the gearcase which can be removed in situ, removing this cover and retightening the nut(s) is a very cheap fix.

Have a look in there first.

Peugeot 306 5th gear. - [J.]
[306xs MA gearbox TU engine i think]
..bit of a late reply, but i'm having problems now (it was all ok during the summer)!

did you change the gearbox chupichulo? Like you I've had problems with 5th gear for a while, generally alright, but would sometimes pop out when taking my foot off the accelerator at speed . A strange thing happened the other morning (the car was parked in a cold exposed spot) it wouldn't go into 5th at all, I didn't realise at the time but it would not engage reverse either! The gear leaver simply would not move that far to the right. Suspecting the linkage after things I'd read I decided to dismantle it:
(very simple on mine, just one connector going across from the lever bar to the side of the transmission[a little ball joint this end], in the middle of it, where it goes through the actual selector [a ring you can move by hand through the gears] there is a rubber ball/bush/thingy. this seemed to pass through the selector ring almost too easily to my mind so i put some tape around it) - after a while i got fed up (at this point I could manually move it through six stations - some well meaning but ultimately unhelpful peugeot person sugessted i should find neutrals in all positions, this made me thing i should find 9 stations? ...3 on 3 levels?). I re-assembled it, tested it and lo still only 4 gears. ...then another strange thing. went to town, parked so I would not need reverse. On my way back I thought I'd try 5th. It's back!!! ..and so is reverse(no pun)! 5th a bit rattly but still, what a crazy car!

I guess it needs investigating though, and what 659FBE suggested sounds like a next step if a bit of tape and some wishful thinking doesn't do it for you. Though from what I can see in-situ still means draining the transmission[i didn't] & removing the nearside driveshaft?
(additionally I should perhaps add that I've heard a noise I suspect is the input shaft-bearing, i'm guessing the problems may be connected)
Jumping out of 5th gear. - cal_pos
Hi, i recently bought my pug 306 and am now encountering the exact same problem, first it was slipping out of 5th, now it wont go in at all. i was wondering if you ever got the problem sorted and if so how ?!