False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - drbe
Having nothing better to do I checked some of the reg. nos. in What Car. Many of the numbers come back as having no record.

Using the August 2007 issue:-

The MB C class shown on the cover; the number shows no record.
The Alfa non-date number on page 3 shows no record.
The Fiat non-date number on page 21 shows no record.
The Jaguar non-date number on page 29 shows no record.

Why do they do this? I would have thought that all the major manufacturers would have an ample supply of genuine non-date numbers.

Should I report them to BetterDrivingPlease.com? ;-)
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - Peter S
I'd guess its because the online database is not updated that often, and most press cars are only used as such for a few months, so haven't yet appeared on the database yet...

Peter
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - blue_haddock
Also possible that the numberplates have been digitally re-worked so that the can sell the vehicles as ex-demo vehicles rather than ex-journo hacks that have been dogged to hell and back.
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - s61sw
I seem to recall that Bentleys, in magazine road tests from the mid Eighties, often had the number plate '1800 TU' (or something very similar). Does anyone know if this had any significance?
S6 1SW
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - Pugugly {P}
They're probably faked to avoid cloning. Technically an offence actually.
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - henry k
>>Bentleys had the number plate '1800 TU'
>>Does anyone know if this had any significance?
>>
T U is for Test Unit

1800 TU

2000 TU
tinyurl.com/2uksf7

3500TU
tinyurl.com/2qg2vp
See Bentley Azure
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - Pugugly {P}
When we see Bentley cars on test in this area (which is often) they're always on TU trade plates or Cheshire DK plates ad the such like.
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - henry k
And the best one of course is :-

www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review/bentley-continental-g.../

False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - rtj70
I agree with HJ about redoing photos. Just in the process of ordering my next car (Maxda6) and find a few interesting things on the Mazda website:

- Top level website... tinyurl.com/3y2nva has the fuel filler on drivers sides but in reality in on the passenger side in the UK
- From there select Interior view and go full screen. All seems okay you'd think except pedals look the wrong way round (accelator on left and foot rest on right) and window switch with L-R obviously in mirror image :-)

So if the main website for Mazda wrong what hope for magazines?

Also spotted major mistake on literature in Ford dealers for company cars taxation bands. Not taken 3% BIK charge for diesels into account nor the new bands for 2008/2009. Even spoke to Mondeo release manager and nothing changed in a month.

False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Sometimes car in adverts are give symetrical plates so that the reg still reads correctly when mirrored ie HMY 818
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - s61sw
''T U is for Test Unit''

Thanks henry K

S6 1SW
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - Big Bad Dave
I retouch cars all day long.

As well as stripping in Polish plates onto foreign registered cars, I often have to convert RHD to LHD. If I can't make it realistic enough, I tint the windows. Sometimes I'll drop a car against a well-known Polish landmark, when it was actually tested in Ibiza. I'll make two cars race each other that were shot on different days, I'll move mountains if they distract from the text, delete lamp posts, pylons, passers-by, snow and grey skies. I'll make a stationary car look like it's cornering at 90mph, turn a two-door Citroen into a four-door and I've even been asked by an editor in chief to change a black kid in a child seat into a white kid. When I've finished with them a technician spends another couple of hours fiddling with the colour balancing and profiles, so very little in the magazine looks anything like what it did when it comes to me.

And this is just a weekly mag, glossies really go to town on retouching.
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - Phil I
>>very little in the magazine looks anything like what it did when it comes to me

Every picture telling a different story methinks.

Thanks for the insight to photo editing, and in the present day all done with electrons rather than airbrushes.

Phil I
False Reg Nos. in Car Magazines? - Vincent de Marco
Big Bad Dave wrote:

"As well as stripping in Polish plates onto foreign registered cars, I often have to convert RHD to LHD. If I can't make it realistic enough, I tint the windows. Sometimes I'll drop a car against a well-known Polish landmark, when it was actually tested in Ibiza. I'll make two cars race each other that were shot on different days, I'll move mountains if they distract from the text, delete lamp posts, pylons, passers-by, snow and grey skies. I'll make a stationary car look like it's cornering at 90mph, turn a two-door Citroen into a four-door and I've even been asked by an editor in chief to change a black kid in a child seat into a white kid. When I've finished with them a technician spends another couple of hours fiddling with the colour balancing and profiles, so very little in the magazine looks anything like what it did when it comes to me."

As a regular reader of that mag, I can hereby confirm all those tricks actually work. Apart maybe from that black Mondeo estate from the last issue, on the cover. Ford main dealer's plates begin with "WU" instead of "CIN", so...
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western democracy.