Help in Choosing a New Diesel Estate - daveweim
Hi All,

I need to pick people's brains please. I have recently written off my poor little Seat Ibiza and need to replace it. I need an estate and am going to opt for diesel. My budget will be around 7-8k. I am considering the VW Passat and Skoda Octavia 130 diesel, Avensis (114bhp) and the Honda Accord 140 diesel. I guess with my budget mileage will be around 100k on a 03 plate (o4 for Honda). I will probably do no more than 15k a year and will keep the car for a minimum of three years. My partner has a Mondeo 130 Tdci and she is more than happy with it so I know of its capabilities.

Is a 100 -120k on the clock for these cars a problem as I will then be adding another 45k approximately?

Any suggestions on which is the better car would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to drive the Passat, Octavia or Avensis as there are no nearby garages.

Thanks in advance.

Help in Choosing a New Diesel Estate - pd
I'd add an 03 V70 D5 SE with about 90k which should be available in your price range to the list. Better long distance car and better equipped than all that you list although possibly more expensive to maintain.

Out of the others I reckon the Passat is a bit of an old soggy barge and also isn't as well built as its repuation. The Accord is the nicest car although how it handles 100k+ mileages is a point of debate.

Others which spring to mind are the Avensis D4-D, Volvo V50 2.0 D & Audi A4/A6 Avant TDI all of which are in your budget.
Help in Choosing a New Diesel Estate - Martin Devon
My colleague has just picked up a T reg E330D Mercedes Turbo. It is one owner. Has all the 'toys' and leather and is in lovely condition. It has 115000 recorded miles. 6k he paid from a dealer. Nice transaction he said. Doesn't sound too bad for one not in the trade, (before they start saying tooooo much!!!)

MD
Help in Choosing a New Diesel Estate - pd
Actually, it sounds a damn good deal.
Hi thanks for all the advice. I hadn't considered the Merc or the Volvo so I will check them out. Running costs are an issue but reliability is first and foremost the important thing.
Help in Choosing a New Diesel Estate - P E
What about the new shape focus estate? More and more are becoming available now. Having said that, I have had a Y reg Mondeo estate for the last 3 and a half years with no horror stories attached to it and it's going fine at 145000 miles. Focus estate focus estate focus estate
from what I've seen the Focus estates cost more than mondeo estates so I guess I will get more for my money with a Mondeo if I went down that route.
Help in Choosing a New Diesel Estate - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I've got a Passat Estate 2002 model 100ps PD TDI now at a mere 99,800 miles.
It is on the second set of front discs, third set of rears, second radiator and had the dreaded wet convenience control module. Various minor electrics have packed in and it gets through tyres every 12,000 miles or so. No rust.No idea what will need doing next or if the previous versions suspension glitches will show.
Still love to drive it- feels so solid, quiet and comfortable and handles and steers fine to me.Do not regret having bought it with my own money.

Help in Choosing a New Diesel Estate - ijws15
My Honda is an 04 now on 104k (diesel), none of the exitement Glaikit Wee Scunner has had with his Passat!

Seriously considering buying it in March (company car) and opting out of the scheme!