BMW318 mobil oil - Sherwood
I have a 1998 318TDS touring E36 for the past 6 years I have given the car an oil and filter change every 6-9 months using Mobil 1 semi-synthetic at Kwik-Fit. I have the car full serviced by an independant BMW garage when neccessary.Kwik-fit say that their computer states that Mobil 1 is now not recommended for my car,I am now confused whether to use Mobil 1 or not. can
you help.Many thanks.
BMW318 mobil oil - Roger Jones
Were the Kwik-Fit people thinking of Mobil 1 fully synth, perhaps? If you've been using the semi-synth for six years without problems, and its spec is consistent with BMW's recommendations (even if they don't specify the Mobil brand), I'd carry on using it. "Computer says no" -- now where have I heard that before?
Hi Roger
No Kwik-Fit have the full details of my car they know its semi-synthetic,they say their computer is updated by info from BMW,they say they will of course use Mobil1 if I want but I will have to sign a disclaimer stating I have asked for oil that is not recommended The manager showed me the computer and it definately states not recommended.What I cannot understand is if it was ok last year why isn't it ok now it has got to be the same oil.
BMW318 mobil oil - nortones2
Surely Mobil1 is synthetic full stop? However, whether or not its synthetic or part synthetic is not the whle story. What ACEA grade or BMW standard does BMW call for in your engine? Follow that for preference over guesswork, is my thought.
BMW318 mobil oil - Bill Payer
So what oil does KwikFit's computer recommend?

Mobil 1 is fully synthetic - no way would Mobil allow that brand name to be be confused by offering synth and semi-synth versions.

There is a turbo diesel version, but it's widely believed that it's actually the same stuff in a different 'can'.

I wonder if BMW have a deal with some other oil provider so they only least that make, or perhaps there's some confusion as the car is a diesel and they think it needs a low ash oil like Mobil 1 ESP (only necessary on much later cars)?
BMW318 mobil oil - Dalglish
in reply to sherwood; afaik:

mobil uk have a number of mobil1 products, including
1. mobil1 0w-40
www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobi...p
that meets bmw ll01 spec.

2. mobil1 0w-30
www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLEUENPVLMOMobi...p
that is not shown as meeting any bmw spec.

3. mobil1 esp 5w-30
www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobi...p
www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English/LCW/Products_Services/M...p
that is claimed to meet the latest bmw ll04 spec and is backwards comptible for older ll01 spec cars.

i would have thought that 1st one, mobill1 0w-40, the bmw ll01 spec oil, would be the one specified in your manual for a 1998 year model bmw.

Thank you all for getting back to me
In answer to your question.The specification range in the manual is
0w-30/5w-30,5w-40/5w-50,10w-30, 10w-40/10w-60.I cannot remember the spec of the oil kwik-fit says is now required.With an ACEA A3-96/B3-96,
I don't know what spec they have used in the past I just assumed it was the right one for my particular vehicle.
I have now E-mailed BMW they are they will get back to me.
Regard
Sherwood
BMW318 mobil oil - Bill Payer
The specification range in the manual is
0w-30/5w-30 5w-40/5w-50 10w-30 10w-40/10w-60.

That's a good example of why it always amuses me when someone gets worked up about which viscosity oil they should use - I know there are one or two cars where it's important, but generally almost anything will be OK.
BMW318 mobil oil - yorkiebar
According to my info its 10/30 or alternative 10/40 for moderate climate (thats us). Both semi synthetic.

I assume the other figures quoted are for other climates.

I'm not a great believer in the anything will do stakes.
BMW318 mobil oil - Dalglish
... I'm not a great believer in the anything will do stakes.

in general, unless you are talking about specific requirements - eg. for the like of vw "pd" diesel engines, oil is oil.

says who?
says Bill Maass a retired Tribologist who worked for a large oil company.
Retired Tribologist TellsThe Truth About Motor Oil
I thought I might give you a little insight on today's motor oil. The good and the bad.
First, OIL IS OIL .....

BMW318 mobil oil - nortones2
There are a large number of Toyota, Mercedes and VW owners, in the US, who had engine failures due to sludging. In most cases due to using low grade oils, which might be OK on a large American with low output per cubic inch! So, "oil is of variable quality" would be more accurate. No doubt the tribologist went on to explain that the product is a package of oil and additives suspended/dissolved in it?
BMW318 mobil oil - quizman
>>>I just assumed it was the right one for my particular vehicle.

I would assume that Kwikfit would put in whatever they have in stock.

I think Mobil 1 is fully synthetic, I can't understand what they have been using before. Have they been using semi synthetic and calling it full synthetic?

I know that we can't name and shame, but just to say I could write a book on a certain tyre and exhaust firm. A firm that I and my family will never ever use again.
BMW318 mobil oil - Roger Jones
Kwik-Fit stock only Mobil, I think: Mobil 1, semi-synth and mineral. That's the case at my local branch and, although I can't confirm it's the same nationally, I believe that it is. As long as you keep your eye on them, they are a cheap source of Mobil 1 in particular, especially for more than 5 litres, as their price is fixed regardless of quantity. They've overfilled so often that I now get them to put in a litre less than the handbook says and I take some spare away with me.