TDi - experiences and feedback please. - LinuxGeek
I would like your expert and personal feedback on Ibiza TDi please. I've never driven a VAG TDi car but I used to have a Polo 1.9D R plate and it was completely trouble free motoring for the period I had it (over a year to be precise). So I'm quite keen to go for a TDi this time but I don't want a big car. So far I've narrowed down my options to Ibiza and Golf TDi, Vauxhall Astra 1.7DTi and Mazda 323 diesel. Many Thanks as always!

edited to make it searchable under the new drop down dodas - PU
Seat Ibiza TDi - daveweim
Hi,

I have had a Ibiza TDi 2000 W for over three years and did 50k+ in it. In the main it has been very reliable. I have had the mass air flow meter replaced which, apparently, is common to VAG group motors plus I had a sensor replaced to stop over revving when the engine was warm,stop it for a bit and then restart. This was all done in the first year of having it. One thing to check though is damp in the passenger footwell as mine leaked as do a lot of VW cars.

I can also vouch for its solidity as I have just written it off and have walked away with just whiplash. I am now looking for another motor.

Overall i was more than happy with it and it always started first time and was very economical. With 90bhp it had a decent turn of pace too.

Hope this helps.
Seat Ibiza TDi - Citroënian {P}
Just over two years in a Fabia 1.9TDi.

Excellent car, no problems at all with the engine, economical and quick, would wholeheartedly recommend. Certainly felt quicker in normal use than the MINI Cooper 1.6 it replaced.
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Seat Ibiza TDi - PW
Had a 2000 W Cordoba TDi for 4 years and 50,000 miles. Loved it. Only thing to go wrong was the air mass meter. Dealers (now gone broke) was excellent. Car was quite nippy and with the alloys and imperial blue metallic always got lots of compliments on it being a good looking car.

Only thing was, replaced it with a Mondeo TDCi, which i had for a week before delivering Seat to the new owner. Felt like a tractor in comparison.

Although looking back now, will always have fond memories of the Seat whereas I will always think of the Ford in the same terms as white goods.
Seat Ibiza TDi - Altea Ego
I had a week or two in a TDi130 sport. Nice solid little car, ride very firm - no make that HARD,

Understeered quite a lot, but very rapid, very fun, and well screwed together. (bit plasticy inside tho like most seats)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Seat Ibiza TDi - ziggy
The TDi engine is too heavy for a small car, though I guess new Ibiza is now slightly bigger than the R reg I had. This mucks up the handling.

The ride is poor, especially in town and you would do well to avoid a sunroof if you are tall. Economy is damn good.

Performance is good, but still could be an incredible slouch in hot weather.
Seat Ibiza TDi - LinuxGeek
Thanks for all your comments, Ibiza TDi (for that matter any VW TDI I could afford within my budget) and Mazda 323 TD are in my top priority but the most important thing is to find a decent one within my budget.
Seat Ibiza TDi - malteser
Do have a look at the just superceded Skoda Fabia tdi. (IMO the replacement is not so nice looking)
The 1.9 tdi is quite quick in standard form (101 BHP), but the VR6 with 130 BHP and a six speed box is VERY quick.
Look at the BRISKODA forum (Google for it), which should give you an idea.
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
I'll be going to see an Ibiza TDi this afternoon. Its MK2 with 80k+ miles on it, its 5 door. What should I look at to see if it has been cared for and if it'll be a good car for years to come?
Seat Ibiza TDi - daveweim
Hi,

My Ibiza had a habit of leaking water into the passenger footwell so I would check under the mats etc for damp or if the car smells of damp. I think this is a known VAG fault. I also had to replace the MAF so it might be worth asking if that has been done. Check the exhaust as if it is on its way out it can be costly to be repaired. The sub frame is meant to be removed first I think although my local independent did it for me without any hassle.I had my Ibiza for over 3 years before I wrote it off in July so I can also safely say that it is a solid car.
Seat Ibiza TDi - cheddar
An ex colleague took a circa 1999 TDi 110 to around 170k miles, the gear box went IIRC, also I have a relation with a slightly later variant (I guess 2000 model) TDi 90, it is quite good to drive, if a little thrummy, better than a Golf of the same age / type, now on about 125k and going strong.
Thanks a lot guys! It always helps if people speak from their personal experience with the car. I'm still sorting out the time with the seller so would let you guys know what happened at the end. Its got less than 80k on it and its not a bad mileage for a 98 plate TDi.
TDi - experiences and feedback please. - Galad
>>I also had to replace the MAF so it might be worth asking if that has been done.<<
What is the approx cost of this type of repair?
TDi - experiences and feedback please. - daveweim
I had it done about two years ago I would say. I think it was around £40 for the part and then having it fitted but my memory is somewhat hazy and people with more knowledge than me may well be able to give a more accurate figure. All I remember is that it didn't break the bank.
TDi - experiences and feedback please. - malteser
A generic MAF can be bought on eBay shops for £25 + post. (Best of British Rover Spares)
It takes no more than ten minutes to fit this type as it comes with the moulded plastic mounting. All you have to do is unbolt the old one, unclip the air hose, (strong clip - I use a pair of stilsons to re-compress it when putting it back) and reverse the process.
My car, (a Skoda 1.9tdi), now goes better than new, but find that the generic MAF increases the fuel consumption: this, of course, may be due to my right foot now getting the car to move along a bit!
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)