Strange Sounding 416 - Car
For aprox the last 3 weeks my car when acclerating has been sounding a bit like a 3cylinder Vauxhall Corsa, but performance has not changed at all.

I suspect my front pipe is starting to go and I have a couple of questions regarding this.

(1) Cost of front pipe & fitting the best quote so far is £85 with 2yrs warranty

(2) Could I keep driving the car for another 2weeks as funds are tight at the moment

Thanks
Strange Sounding 416 - Robin the Technician
Hi,
If the car is running ok and there is no noticable noise externally then it should be ok.
You need to be sure though that it is the front pipe. It could be the inlet/exhaust manifold gasket blowing. If any work has been done to the head in the recent past then this could be your problem. Also the end stud of the manifold retaining bolts has a tendency to fall out.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Thanks for the reply. Car generally runs well for a car which is 8yrs old and has done 120,000 miles. Sometimes when starting up the car idles a bit lumpliy but soons settles down, and drove pass several walls today and no adverse noise heard outstide.

How should I check if its inlet/exhaust manifold gasket blowing.

BTW Head gasket replaced aprox 28,000 miles ago.

Thanks
Strange Sounding 416 - GregSwain
When were the plugs last cleaned/replaced?

Inlet manifold can be tested by spraying WD40 all around the gasket - if the engine revs then it's leaking. Exhaust manifold can be tested with some "magic" spray used by gas fitters that bubbles as air escapes from a leak.
When were the plugs last cleaned/replaced?

Last replaced aprox 4000 miles ago
Strange Sounding 416 Update - Car
Drove about 500 miles over the last week with aprox 250 on motorways. Anyway had car checked out exhaust is fine and not blowing, the mechanic thought it was more an air intake noise coming from near to the filter housing.

Sound is like a turbo whilsling / hissing

Any ideas as I don't want to take it in for repairs if i could fix it and save a couple of pennies

Thanks
Strange Sounding 416 Update - Car
Sound of car is per the attached link media.putfile.com/Car-Engine-2
Strange Sounding 416 Update - GregSwain
Not sure what I'm listening for, but if anything it sounds like noisy valve-gear. If you're still fairly certain it's an air-intake problem, get a replacement filter housing and connecting hose from a scrappie. As I said in a previous post, squirt a bit of WD40 around, and if there's a leak, the engine will suck it in and burn it, hence you'll hear the revs rise for a second or 2.