Any Tips for Diesel MOT test? - rubber
Hi,

Im basically wanting any tips or recommendations from you guys for a diesel car MOT test tommorow.

My brother has a VW Golf MK2 Turbo Diesel
1988 E reg.

Hes only had the car for about 5 months. The problem is that the car throws a fair amount of smoke out. I dont want to sound funny but it doesnt look like the "normal" smoke diesel cars throw out, it kind of has a burning smell ans is slightly blue coloured.
I suggested to him that it could be burning oil, but hes not had to top up any oil in 2000 miles of driving.
Any way he read on the internet that if he used 20w50 oil his car would produce less smoke as the oil is thicker. Is this true or is it just a gimmick?
20w50 is always really cheaply priced (about £4 in asda etc).....surely this oil cant be good quality at all can it?
Also I read somewhere (cant remember) that taking out the airfilter helps in reducing diesel smokiness. Again is this true?

Car was fully services 2000 miles ago. All new filters. Has a mileage of 152k.
Have tried the usual injector cleaner stuff like forte, millers etc but has really done anything.

Do you knowledgable guys have any tips.....or what do you guys do to you diesel cars before MOT test?
Any quick fixes?

Thanks
Any Tips for Diesel MOT test? - mrnikko
With our old espace, 2.1 Turbo Diesel 120,000 miles, before the MOT I used to run the car until hot then give it the third gear maximum revs treatment on a suitable streach of road preferrably uphill and it used to get rid of most of the smoke.
At this golfs age i suspect the MOT tester will be generally sympathetic to a little smoke but not excessive smoke.
Cannot comment on the oil as I used to change the Espace oil every 5000 miles with the ElF brand recommended in the handbook.
Any Tips for Diesel MOT test? - David Horn
Give it a good thrashing on the way there and ask them to do the smoke test first. I think testers have discretion even if it's outside the limit.
anyone know about removing the air filter thing?
Any Tips for Diesel MOT test? - Hamsafar
Don't remove the airfilter, that would be very bad for the engine, and would make no difference to smoke. If the filter hasn't been replaced since he bough the car, obviously replace it first.
Any Tips for Diesel MOT test? - local yokel
warm the car up fully - say a good 5+ miles, and then rev it to 4,000 plus in third gear for a good minute or so to really clear the muck out. Repeat, and take to test station immediately.
Any Tips for Diesel MOT test? - AndyT
As far as additives go, I can vouch for Cataclean making a vast improvement in smoke meter readings. As he has Millers, I've heard the usual dosage for mot is about half a bottle, it's supposed to work too.

Regarding the blue-ish smoke, maybe the piston rings are a bit worn, and the heavier oil may help, although probably wouldn't be great for the turbo in the long term.

Have a look in the air filter housing for engine oil. I seem to recall about older Golf diesels 'recycling' engine oil through the breather system, and you don't want a load of oil in there.
Any Tips for Diesel MOT test? - Roly93
If its a turbo-diesel it could likely be that the turbo is on the way out, if the smoke is blue. Using heavier oil may help, but injector cleaners probably won't and may even make things worse by increasing the EGT into the turbo. Just to get it through the mot you could try cleaning out the hoses from the turbo to the intercooler and checking for any oil accumulation in the intercooler and pipework, but the reality is tyhat you may soon need a recon turbo. Even at 152K miles, the engine should still be in okay condition assuming it has had at least basic maintennace.
Any Tips for Diesel MOT test? - AndyT
Did the car pass the test? And were you able to reduce the smoking any?
hi there,
the car failed its mot...but not on the smoke test.
i gave it a good thrashing in 3rd gear before the mot.
it needs a new front wheel bearing, cv boot, brake pipes corroded, suspension bush and number plate lights.

All in all not bad for a 19 year old car.
Any Tips for Diesel MOT test? - bell boy
well im disgusted that someone can run an old car with all those very very dangerous faults,can we have your name and address so we can publicly pillorise you ;-)

NOTICE THE SMILEY