I feel great! Fixed temp gauge problem! - shirike
I just changed the coolant temperature gauge on my car and it made the temp. needle work again. Yay me.
I'd already replaced the thermostat but that didn't fix the problem and, thanks to Haynes and some help from this forum, I managed to successfully flush the rad/engine block, replace the coolant sensor and then refill the coolant with some G12!

I've never really taken an interest in cars until I bought one and now I think I've got the bug! I can't wait for next week when I'll be doing some more work on it like replacing air/oil/fuel filters and replacing the oil. Oh, and replacing the sparks.
I'm fairly confident of being able to do those jobs myself (and maybe a bit of help from Dad) but the timing belt has never been changed and I think that'll have to be left to the experts.
I feel great! Fixed temp gauge problem! - Stuartli
Good for you - practical experience is the best way to learn.

But make sure you have a good quality set of tools if you haven't already.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I feel great! Fixed temp gauge problem! - Lud
You're right about the cambelt shirike. Some are a doddle but others a bit of a nightmare, needing special tools or a knack of some sort.

It is most agreeable however to witness the birth of, who knows, perhaps an enthusiast.

Wide experience of different makes will of course be necessary to your planned acquisition of wisdom.

It is your great good fortune that my car needs an oil and filter change. I will sit nearby telling you what to do and entertaining you with a flow of scurrilous stories. I will provide everything you need.

I am sure others are willing to help you in similar ways.

Strike while the iron is hot!
I feel great! Fixed temp gauge problem! - milkyjoe
well done shirike, just out of interest what car are you currently driving? cheers
A 1996 1.4 VW Polo petrol :)

It's got 95k on the clock and no idea when it's last service was so I've fixed the immediate issues and going to sort out the stuff I mentioned on pay day.

By the way, how much would a timing belt change cost approx.?
I feel great! Fixed temp gauge problem! - milkyjoe

sorry shirike i don't honestly know , but someone will be along shortly with some figures, bellboy is pretty much on the ball

repeated quote snipped - PU
I feel great! Fixed temp gauge problem! - Stuartli
Have a look at:

www.gsfcarparts.com/

OEM parts and reasonable prices.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
how do I know which W I have? Type 1 2 or 3? :(