Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - Simon H
Loss of control is the greatest contributory factor in fatal road accidents. I'm trying to find out why people put themselves in a situation where loss of control might occur.

Loss of control occurs when driving task demands exceed capability. It is experienced as a fragmented degradation of control, and felt as fear. At one end of the scale it could simply result in you momentarily having to drop secondary tasks like looking in the mirrors - at the other end of the scale it could result in you skidding off the road.

I lost control when I reversed round a corner into a parked car. I wasn't really paying attention, and I was trying to conduct the manouvre too quickly; I was probably showing off to a girl I had in the car; it was dark; and the other car was parked illegally. I know - pretty stupid.

I'd love to hear of the circumstances around which other people have 'lost control' or felt 'fear' whilst driving.

Simon
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - OldHand
I felt fear when an HGV rolled in front of me blocking the entire carriageway. Well actually the fear came when I noticed the other drivers with their wheels locked up sliding towards me. After the impact I felt much better because everything went quiet for a while.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - normd2
take my missus for a driving lesson if you want to know the meaning of fear.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - daveyjp
Only once. Left a bypass on a slip road which is sharp left followed by sharp right. A good one to 'test' handling. I had a Focus at the time and could do it at 50mph easily. One evening I was thinking of something else, on autopilot and I took it whilst not concentrating. I was doing about 60 before I realised. I still got round, but only just.

On the same bend I have come across a car which managed the left hander, but lost it for the right ending up embedded in bushes and a few weeks ago someone failed to negotiate the left, went straight on through a fence and down the bank into a factory car park - that driver is no longer with us.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - Lud
Two completely different things. Loss of control is surely usually at a busy moment, and first response is to regain control.

Fear in the real sense is nearly always retrospective, since life-and-limb-or-at-least-expensive-motor-threatening incidents usually arise, and are over, very quickly. Retrospective fear is the same whether you have done the right thing and saved the situation, or someone else has, or you were just lucky, or the accident actually happened. It is imaginative awareness of what might have been.

The full knowledge that you are about to crash is not usually accompanied by fear as such even if the potential accident is life-threatening. Such moments are either frozen curses or, if you are on form, extremely busy and accurate flurries of activity. Afterwards you feel shock, but not fear.

I speak from occasional experience.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - billy25
I considered myself to be a "goodish" driver, but i am a terrible passenger. i feel fear everytime i sit in the passenger seat, knowing i've got no-control over any situation that may occur. I tend to have time to "think" more whilst being a passenger, i.e, "what mess would i be in now if that (insert suitable term) coming the other way had hit us?"
Sometimes i'd rather travel in the boot - and die in ignorant bliss!
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - normd2
not a flippant response this time.

I was once in a serious crash when a car came out of a side road onto a NSL road and I 'T-boned' him. His car ended up upside down, mine a good couple of feet shorter (from windscreen to front end was less than the distance from my wrist to elbow, in-line engine). For years afterwards (still now sometimes) I flinched and felt fearful whenever approaching sideroads and a car appeared even if it was stopping.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - PW
Had this 2 weeks ago when a Polo decided to overtake as we were passing the Chevrons to the Taunton slip road on the M5. I wasnt exactly going fast, but was catching the car in front of me quite quickly. Nothing behind me in lane 1. Looked at the Polo as she overtook and instinctively knew what she was about to do. On came the indicators as she pulled in about 1 inch in front of me. Luckily I had eased initially but was getting to the "There's no way she'd do that now phase". Already had brakes, horn and lights covered, but only needed last 2 to try and wake her up.

Only other recent one was a Dutch HGV who pulled out from the left as I was approaching, forcing me to a halt on a roundabout. He then moved over to the left, was about to overtake when dawned on me was likely for him to go right. Sure enough he did. Was thanking 6th sense all that day, as dread to think what would have happened to my lift or me with a 38 tonner driving into the side of my car.

Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - LHM
No.
You have said in one word what I said in many LHM :o}
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - kithmo
Once whilst driving in the USA, left a freeway at 50-55mph in a big soft yank tank to be confronted by a circular slip road of probably 25ft raduis with a 25mph limit sign, which was not visible until you had left the freeway and rounded the first part of the bend. Luckily (or perhaps by design?) the turn was banked. Every body in the car (4 up) was leaning into the turn as if we were on motorcycles and wondering if the grip would hold, luckily it did.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - bell boy
i dont ever feel fear whilst driving,anger yes very very strong anger but the doctor says the new tablets should help :-)
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - milkyjoe
tut tut bell
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - wotspur
over 25 years, felt fear, afraid so several times.
1 sitting in the back of a mini,at 6'0" tall, on the fly over going down the Old Kent Road, when it was still dual carriageway,hearing several squeals of brakes, before being rear ended. (1986)
2 driving from Hogs back, down towards Guildford when a car travelling uphill, near the now shut Happy Eater, flew over the central reservation and spun in my rear view mirror- still don't know how they managed to do that( 1984).
3 turned left , down a hill, during the winter and was slowly going sideways towards a bus, fortunately he was able to stop. (1989)
4 turning right across a dual carriageway, when the whole power system shut down, by the time it came back, two lorries were bearing down on me- the car got sent back the next day.(2001)
5 tyre blow out on the M40 at 7 pm in the outside lane - yes that was fear as anyone else who has experienced it will understand (2003)

overall not too bad, bearing in mind on average I've probably done at least 20k per year.
If you drive with a little aprehension, expecting the other pratt to do the worst, it's possible to prevent fear in most cases.
safe driving to all you br's
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - henry k
Many years ago, en route to the coast one evening, against the flow of the homewards bound weekenders, I was confronted by an old banger on the wrong side of the road trying to overtake a coach. Fortunately there was a field entrance that I was able to take as an emergency exit.
Standing on the brakes ( no servo), I certainly felt another dose of fear as the steel five bar gate got closer and knowing the gravel was not aiding braking.
I stopped it time but it was close X 2 .

More recently, seriously threatened by a biker with road rage, I certainly felt fear. It changed to anger and then to serious planning mode to ensure said biker got sorted.
He was very lucky he gave up when he did.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - GregSwain
I wonder how many instances of "loss of control" have been caused by panic, i.e. not knowing how to regain control, steering the wrong way when losing the back-end etc etc.

Never felt realy fear whilst driving, because every time I've felt the car slip or been in an awkward situation I've managed to get myself out of it. Luck has been a factor, but keeping a reasonable distance and planning ahead does negate the need for panic-fuelled reactions.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - shirike
I didn't feel any fear at all but I suffered from something worse - I completely over-reacted. Only been passed my test a short while (literally, 4 weeks) and, travelling 50mph down a single carriage way w/ nat. speed limit, I reacted too much to a bird flying into my windscreen. The swerve made me mount an embankment and, before I could even react and get myself off it, the front nearside wheel hit the stump of a tree and my car rolled/flipped down the road. Ended up on my wheels...but facing the wrong direction to the one I was initially travelling and in the opposite lane. O.o

I didn't even have time for fear but, because of what happened and the fact I think I was overly confident in my abilities, I am now a lot more cautious and sensible.
In the thirties and forties, when there were fewer cars about, swerving to avoid animals was a frequent cause of serious accidents. I remember my father often saying that one shouldn't run over animals on purpose, but that to risk damaging the car or its passengers to avoid doing so was just foolish.

He suited his actions to his words, and my youth was sometimes enlivened by driving about in vehicles splattered with risk-taking monkey or unfortunate dog.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - oilrag
In Huddersfield about 12 years ago snowing hard.
Drove through town fine, up a hill, road surface clear, crossroads clear and lights on green , turned right onto blackmoor foot road which after a few yards was a sheet of ice/snow. Its a steepish hill and a pile of cars that had done similar were in a pile up ( imagine a logpile, at all angles) halfway down.
Tried to brake, all wheels locked, used panic mode cadence braking for what seemed like an eternity, managed to slow right down before the pile of cars, exit into a snowed up side street.......

First time ever to try cadence braking in decades of driving.... I wonder how ABS would have coped?

Better I hope as I dont think I can operate my right leg at 10 times a second anymore, fear augmented :)

Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - madf
Fear:

About 8 years old, father in old Truiumph Gloria, on single track road in Scotland, very steep 200 foot drop on LHS to sea..., stops to open gate across road(!)), handbrake not applied properly, car starts rolling backwards .

Driving into Stonehaven (near Aberdeen) in snow up a steep hill, Mini came down road fast.. braked and spun about 10 times in front of me..just missed me .I was stopped by then.

Spinning Ford Granada in snow outside Liverpool... at 40mph:-(

hitting patch of diesel fuel on road on very fast Left hand bend in S Africa doing at least 80mph, .. long slalom sideways with family in car. Pulled out safely.

Driving along motorway , passing in outside lane, noticed car in front in middle lane was starting to weave, slowed down and did not pass. Driver was evidently falling asleep cos next moment he swerved sideways into outside lane with no signals, braked , swerved into inside lane and pulled onto hard shoulder .. all in the space of what felt hours but could have bene no mor ethan 30 seconds. If I had tried to pass him as planned I would have been broadsided into crash barrier.

Driving along M6 near Birmingham behind an open lorry, a lorry tyre fell off the lorry bed and bounced over my car!

Every time my father drove me when he was over 80..:-(

madf
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - PoloGirl
Fear...

Rarely as a driver, often as a passenger! ;)
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - Westpig
aged about 21, driving a V6 Ford Sierra 2.3GL........at about 0600 on a summers morning drove up A303 in Devon towards London....saw a tractor in the distance and pulled out to overtake some 200 yards early......nothing else on the road. At the point of absolute no return, noticed a carp encrusted indicator going and the tractor started to turn right into a field...as i was on the overtake.

Made it obviously, but only by chucking it into 3rd and hoping for the best........learnt a lesson that day. Can't imagine i'd still be here if i'd hit that o/s/f wheel that was increasingly filling my path.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - PW
Just to add to earlier post, often get a bad feeling on busy motorways, not so much fear, but a foreboding that something bad is going happen. Normally summer weekends, when the traffic is nose to tail at any speed up to about 80. Quite often take the scenic route as don't feel comfortable dicing with other drivers who dont seem to be fully aware of whats happening around them.

And during my student days a friend introduced me to the mechanic who was restoring an MG Midget for him. The mechanics own car was a Delta turbo that he's had chipped (think it was up to 200BHP), and he took us out for a little spin. All went well till the first overtake, pulled to other side of road, slowly gaining on the bus. Once he knew the road was clear he booted it and my stomach was left behind as the car shot forward. He then proceeded to drive extremely fast round the local roads, including some fairly narrow ones. Didn't even seem to slow down for oncoming cars but could place the Lancia perfectly leaving enough room for all to pass through safely. Has got to be one of the best bits of driving I have ever seen. Was scared, excited and slightly nauseous all at the same time. Stepped out of the car feeling physically tired, stomach doing somersaults but a massive grin on my face.

Oh, and the car restoring was a sideline from the guys main career of driving fire engines, which would probably explain his extreme skill.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - Boggy
Every time I see a girl in a Ford Ka with a pink steering wheel cover texting whilst hurtling towards me on the wrong side of the road. This happens to me a lot.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - David Horn
A car pulled out completely unexpectedly of a slip road into my path when I was doing about 60mph and they were doing about 3... The ol' fashioned "well I have my indicator on, that means I have the right of way". Ordinarily heavy braking would have solved the problem, but one wheel hit a patch of oil or diesel on the motorway. The car swung violently to the right and was aimed straight at the central reservation for a horrifying second while I fought the skid. Got out of it OK (but in lane 3 instead of lane 1), but had to pull over at the next services as my hands were shaking.
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - DP
The last time I felt real fear was the last time I completely lost control of a car. It was in 2000, and I was in a brand new (company) Peugeot 306 XSi that I'd just run in, and was exploring the performance and handling limits on the local bypass and its roundabouts on the early hours on a Sunday morning.

I went into a roundabout a little quicker than anticipated so lifted the throttle. The back end snapped away, and by the time I'd worked out what was going on and got the opposite lock on, it was far too late. The steering clonked uselessly against the lock stop, and the tail still kept coming round. I got that horrible stab of fear in my stomach and knew I was basically a passenger from this point on.

At this point I didn't have a clue what to do, so wound the lock off. After a terrifying pirrhouette, I ended up travelling down the dual carriageway I wanted to use, but going backwards at about 40 mph in a haze of tyre smoke and "interesting" tyre marks. I braked so hard the ABS chattered, and remember not having the guts to look in the mirror and see if I was going to hit anything. I stopped neatly by the kerb, facing the wrong way up the dual carriageway. A gentle three-pointer and continued on my way, albeit at a far more sedate pace.

That lift off oversteer was fantastic once you got used to it though. The above was definitely the driver's lack of talent rather than the car's.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
Do you ever feel 'fear' whilst driving? - DrS
After I first passed my test , many decades ago, I used to frighten myself with quite alarming regularity: Like, quite severe fright, of the "O my God, I'm going to die" type.
I noticed that I used to get a metallic / coppery taste in the mouth: Why was that?

It wasn't until I took motorcycle lessons some fifteen years later that I realised what a really poor driver I was: I had passed my car test at 17 having been taught only by my father, never having had a "proper" driving lesson.