2000 Honda accord timing belt noise - P 2501
Hello

I recently had the timing belt changed on my 2000 Honda accord (2.0l vtec) along with a full service. A slight issue i now have is that at around 1500 rpm when pulling away or if i just gently blip the throttle at idle i hear a slight but noticeable whirring sound which definatley was not there before. I have rung the garage who did the work and they are going to have a listen this afternoon, but i was wondering if any backroomers might have an idea what this could be? I though perhaps overtightened belt, but would that not make a whining sound at idle all the time?

The whole lot was changed, not just the belt BTW. New pulleys,tensioner and waterpump too. Could this be the cause?

TIA for any replies.
2000 Honda accord timing belt noise - Nick Field
I had the timing belt done by a franchised Honda dealer on my 1.4 Civic. This too whined a bit to start with. I did take it back for them to have listen and was told this was quite normal. 10k later, the belt has settled in and there is no discernable belt noise.
Nick
2000 Honda accord timing belt noise - Lud
A lot of them do it when new. One supposes the edges of the teeth get slightly rounded and the belt gets properly polished with a bit of wear.
Thanks for the reassuring replies. I dropped into the garage and apparently the tensioners on these (and most modern engines) are set automatically by pre set springs on the tensioner itself, so the belt should always be the correct tension. At least that is what i gathered.

Mechanic also had put some belt dressing compound on the auxilliary belts rather than change them (said they weren't quite ready to be changed but were a tiny bit glazed) and perhaps this may be the cause.

Having heard your experiences though i am inclined to think this is the same thing so thanks again for your comments.
2000 Honda accord timing belt noise - Norman77
I owned a 1999 (T) Honda Accord till January this year. Had a noise similar to yours under the same conditions, just after the timing and drive belts were changed. Worse on a damp morning or with the heated rear window or air conditioning on.
Car had done 85k.
Turned out to be the crankshaft pulley being glazed and worn (they let me have the old one) Once changed it was as quiet as a mouse! (crankshaft pulley is £95 from Honda)
Just a thought.
Hi
Thanks for the reply, the noise is still there but mine does not seem to vary at all with weather or electrical load like yours norman. Makes me wonder if it isn't the auxilliary belts at all and that it definately is the timing belt "bedding in" as mentioned above. Going to keep an ear on it over the next few days and see what happens.

Car is actually slightly quieter at idle now than before the work was done, so i suspect the old belt was slightly stretched and ready to come off. It was 6.5 years/73K old.