When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - Quinny
Not long bought a Berlingo van,and the washer pump wasn't working on it.

No problem,thinks I,I'll give my local GSF a ring,as I'm sure they'll be cheaper than the local Citroen dealer.

Rung them up,and got quoted a price of around £14 for the part,which they say was a genuine one,so just out of curiosity,I ring the local dealer,and he quotes me about £11 for the same piece.

Guess who got my business?

Now I know it's only £3,but it just goes to show you,that it always pays to make a call first.
When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - De Smythe
Needed a new parcelshelf for wife's 05 Mitsubishi Colt. Submitted several requests to on-line salvage companies who came back with price for secondhand shelf of £80 plus carriage. Rang local Mitsubishi dealer...and price new was only £55 incl VAT.
When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - cheddar
Renault dealers are cheaper than Halfords for oil / air filters etc.
When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - bell boy
ford dealers can make your eyes water these days
citroen/pewgot dealers good for price but never have anything in stock
vauxhall good if you are in the club not too bad if you arent
i dont ring renault anymore as its usually a number made up doubled and then a coin flipped
When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - yorkiebar
Generally dealers are dearer than alternate suppliers, and with regular use you begin to know what they are likely to be dearer/cheaper for.

As a general rule, I agree with BB but add that headlamps are the main item I find them generally better than alternate suppiers.

If Renault filters are cheaper than Halfords then they must be expensive is my comment!
When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - cheddar
i dont ring renault anymore as its usually a number made up doubled and then a coin flipped >>

If Renault filters are cheaper than Halfords then they must be expensive is my comment!

Try it, Halfords own IRO £5.00, Halfords Bosch IRO £6.00, Renault Dealer Renault IRO £5.50.

On the otherhand I enquired about a window rubber for a Clio, you can only buy a door kit, over £100, out of interest I asked the Ford dealer for the equivalent part for the Mondeo, under £10!
When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - gmac
Found this with FIAT too. I needed a new washer bottle for my Coupe. Filled in numerous online forms for scrappies and quotes came back between £120 and £150. Went to FIAT and got a new one still in the plastic wrapper for £89.
When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - Aprilia
Usually I get a price from the dealer first and then try to find cheaper. Some factors will make up a price if they don't know you - they think that if you're a punter come in off the street they can sucker you into a higher price because you won't know different.
Breakers I only use as a last resort - had quite a few problems with parts from breakers not working properly or not being as described, and they always argue about a refund IME. I once had a diff off a very very large Mercedes breaker based in the North - it was agreed that I could return it if it whined (which they often do). Was described as 'perfect'. When it arrived there was rust inside it. Anyway, cleaned it up and fitted it and it was noisy. Called the breaker to arrange return and they started on about 50% restocking charge etc etc. Anyway, got credit card company involved and all sorted. Never pay cash to a breaker.
When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - Bromptonaut
Berlingo shed a fixing for its wheelarch liner in the recent floods.

23p (possibly before VAT) from dealer - Evans Halshaw (and at least a litre of diesel driving out to collect it).
When the dealer IS cheaper for parts - bhoy wonder
The last 2 occasions the VW dealer that I use have have been cheaper for oil and brake pads.