Recent Journey a Rare Delight - doctorchris
At the weekend just gone I drove down to Stevenage from Sunderland for a party on Saturday night and drove back yesterday. There were no traffic jams or holdups, only a few trucks on the road and most folk were driving around the 70mph limit, my chosen speed. Going North on the A19 I passed numerous classic cars obviously driving home from a show somewhere.
I arrived at my destination at both journey ends in a calm and relaxed state.
The only downside, my naughty Panda 4x4 only achieves fuel economy in the low 30's when cruising at 70mph. Oh well, can't ave it all.
Recent Journey a Rare Delight - colin-e
Motoring should be a pleasure, to be savoured and enjoyed - a journey like yours doctorchris, is sadly a rare delight these days.

I often get bouts of enjoyment during a car journey, but never continuous fun like I did in my motoring youth.

Traffic calming, speed cameras, road works, et al, all add up to boredom and frustration....unless you get off the A roads and head onto the scenic twisty B roads throughout the country.

You don't need to drive quickly to enjoy "high performance" motoring. Perfectly timed gear changes keeping the engine in the power band, pin point cornering, total concentration and beautiful countryside all add up to an oh-so-brief diversion from the frustrations of daily motoring.

--
Colin-E
Recent Journey a Rare Delight - Kuang
I'm very fortunate in that I have two feasible routes to work in the mornings, each working out at around 14 miles. One is a straightforward roll through a local town, around a dual carriageway bypass and then onwards at the national speed limit on a straight clear road for when I'm feeling a bit sub-par, the other takes in three small villages including Bruntingthorpe (watch out for camouflaged test mules) and covers four superb single lane road sections from smooth and fast to twisting rollercoaster. If it weren't for the amazing amount of people who seem unable to handle more than 40mph on the flatout sections but then think it's ok to carry on at 40 through villages, each day's commute would be almost perfect :)