Worth getting a car through mobility? - wazza
Been awarded DLA which means i am eligible to get a car through the mobility scheme. Is it worth getting a car through mobility? I am sure this topic must have been covered before. To refresh your mind i will get a car for 3 years, have all expenses paid for apart from petrol.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - Bill Payer
i will get a car for 3 years have all expenses paid for apart from petrol.

Why would it *not* be worth it? Is this post a wind up?
Not a wind up :-)

just end of the day after 3 years of paying the fees i will not have anything to show, the car will be returned etc. If however i was to buy a car, after 3 years it is still mine. Unfortunately i have to bear the running costs.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - BobbyG
But after the three years you then get another new car fully expensed don't you? You need to look at how much your award is, what you could buy privately for it and what that private purchase would be worth after 3 years.

Personally speaking I would say go with the Mobility scheme. Only issue is that it is mileage capped.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
The mileage will not bother me. only do a measly 4k a year now compared to 60k when i was active
Worth getting a car through mobility? - 1066
Do the sums.
you will never never get a car brand new plus tax and free insurance and all servicing for less than 50 pounds a week.

now look on there website and see what you fancy and get a new car.
you would be very silly indeed to want to buy a car with your own money or get a loan for a new car.
Just the answer i needed.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - ukbeefy
The motability scheme is the most vivid demonstration of "bulk buying" power in every aspect of its operation. It's by some margin the biggest fleet scheme in the country so everything they buy or need is of the "say jump, how high? " means of negotiation. The insurance for Motability used to be negotiated so aggressively that almost every insurer who took it on got the reputation that season for "buying in" business as red ink almost automatically resulted...But the premium vol was massive.

Go with the scheme. But do look carefully at what diff manufacturers are offering. Some will reprice their scheme vehs each quarter and will effectively discount the downpayment or offer better vehs at the nil payment rate to chase business.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - weedy
Hi Wazza,
I am in a similar position. And have been looking at the same motors PLus S-Max. i know the advance payment is a bit steep BUT at the end of the three years you have the option to buy the car at the trade price. Personally I liked the Mazda but it doe not come in auto. Please let us know what you decide to do.
Weedy
Worth getting a car through mobility? - DrS
Do the sums.
you will never never get a car brand new plus tax and free insurance and
all servicing for less than 50 pounds a week.
now look on there website and see what you fancy and get a new car.
you would be very silly indeed to want to buy a car with your own
money or get a loan for a new car.

Au contraire: In fact, DLA can be significantly higher than 50 p/w for some cases. I think up to approx twice this amount?
You can lease some pretty attractive motors for this kind of money, if you shop around!
How about a Mercedces CLK for 300 a month?
Worth getting a car through mobility? - R75
Due to MS my father has just had a C4 Picasso Grande deliverd last week, a really nice car to drive and to look at, with a set of ramps he can fit a mobility scooter in the back as well, he did add a couple of hundred to it to get the bells and whistles model, but it is a nice car. I cant see any down side, even what he added to it was less then the insurance used to be on his old car for a year - let alone 3 years!!!! Cant see what you have got to loose.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - T Lucas
Its a great scheme for those that are awarded the benefits,you cannot fund a new car cheaper.The thing that winds me up,and i would guess a lot of other people is the number of people that benefit that on the face of it seem to get a very expensive perk paid for by the fest of the working population.
No offence to the genuine receivers of a very worthwhile scheme,but,believe me,if you have ever worked in a dealership and seen some of the 'disabled' receipients you would be very surprised.
I was told that it is the biggest fleet in Europe,and i also think there are a lot of 'blind eyes' viewing the whole operation.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - Stuartli
>>"..to get a very expensive perk paid for by the fest of the working population...">>

Motability is a registered charity that was set up by the Government in 1977.

>>"..seen some of the 'disabled' receipients you would be very surprised...">>

Perhaps if you read the qualifying criteria i.e. "...with the contract hire package you don't need to drive.

"You can nominate up to two drivers who may be friends or relatives, and parents or carers can apply on behalf of a child aged three years and upwards."

you might not make such unqualified statements.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Worth getting a car through mobility? - whoopwhoop
Let's not get all politically correct eh?

I think the point he was making was that there is a difference between being disabled and having a need for transport, and needing a convertible/sporty/4x4/etc car all paid for by the tax-payer.

Nobody begrudges financial assistance to a disabled person (I hope). But people do begrduge that financial assistance if it exceeds the disability-related need. Help for a disability is one thing. Compensating for a disability is another.
I've pointed out that Motability is a charity.

Using the mobility allowance to achieve what the name of the allowance infers is different.

The person being paid the mobility allowance would receive it whether or not they opted to use it to fund a new or used vehicle.

The type of vehicle involved is irrelevant. The disabled are equally as entitled to a choice as you or I.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - Pugugly {P}
Potentially hurtful post(s) deleted. - PU Mod.

Stuart/Commer- Your other replies went as well only as that was the only way to get rid of the others, no reflection at all on the contents of yours.
No problem; I quite understand.

Worth getting a car through mobility? - Bromptonaut
WW

DLA for mobility is paid at around £50 per week to those who are unable or practically unable to walk.

They can either receive it as cash or surrender it into the motability scheme through which they can access cars at rates that, through bulk buying etc, are significantly better than those available in the retail market.

Very small and cheap cars may allow the user to retain a few pounds of the weekly benefit, while convertible/sporty/4x4/etc vehicles require a substantial down payment from the user, the cost to the taxpayer is capped at the surrendred benefit.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - tinkfairyx
This is not a fact or statistic based comment!
Statistics show that only 0.6% of disability benefit claimants are fraudulent.
High rate mobility component is very hard to qualify for. there are many strict rules and a lot of neccesary proof needed. In order to qualify to get a motability vehicle one has to be in receipt of high rate DLA. therefor one would presume that only a small percentage of the 0.6% that are fraudulent claimers would manage to become in receipt of high rate mobility DLA. Of this small percentage how many opt to get a motability vehicle?? This would in fact be a very small number of people.
It must be remembered that some people have a disability that is not always visible. Others may be claiming under the 'special rules' which means they have been given less than 6 months to live. This cannot be judged on sight!
Worth getting a car through mobility? - ndbw
If only,having become disabled after retirement and having a not large company pension,I find myself liable for all my costs unless someone out there knows better?.

ndbw
Worth getting a car through mobility? - deepwith
Wazza, It sounds as if a motability car would be good for you, considering your mileage is low, although I believe allowances have much improved recently. Beware that if the govt. raise mobility allowance to cover higher petrol costs during the period of lease, then if your car has taken the full allowance they will also take any rise. Any car over the most basic will cost you a non-returnable cash payment. You are also responsible for tyres, wiper blades etc and ANY repairs at the end of the lease period. We found it was less expensive to have a repair done to a seat than the quote from the supplying garage.
If you decide to come off the scheme after the lease period, I found the Motability insurer was the only one who would give me NCB (I am not disabled btw).
You can also use your allowance to buy a second-hand car, so you would own something at the end of the period.... and for those who don't know, you can also use it to lease a reasonable wheelchair (either car or wheelchair or buggy).
Dr S is not correct about the amount of mobility. The higher rate is £45 a week unless husband is keeping something from me!!! As said before, you can have almost any car you want if you are prepared to pay cash up front - and bear in mind you end up with no car/money at the end of three years.
Wazza, if you are going to get a mobility car, remember to apply for the form for taxation - you can do this now as it has spaces for five years.
I forgot to say that if you want to buy a second hand car then you have to have the allowance for four years rather than three. If you do want to go down this route, then write or ring the tel no on your paperwork and ask for a review so that you can have the allowance extended. This is also the case if they have only granted the allowance for two years, which would not enable you to have a car.
Thanks for the info. The high mobility rate is actually £45/week. So in a year it is £2160. Doing a rough calculations on my car. With insurance, mot, tyres etc and breakdown cover it will cost a minimum £750 per year. have not taken servicing into consideration. That means that the mobility car will cost me £1410 per year. That figure will probably go down because i drive a '96 mondeo with 125k and on its original clutch.

True end of the day the car will not be mine but at least i will have peace of mind and no bills to pay apart from petrol.

As someone said you cannot get a car for £45 per week.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - Bill Payer
That means that the mobility car will cost me £1410 per year.

OK, so the thing you didn't say in your original question was tha you already had a car. The thing you didn't factor into your calcuations is depreciation. I realise that on an oldish Mondeo that's probably negligible, but you might be able to sell it for something now, whereas in, say, 2 yrs it could be hard to give away.

At what point do you have to make the cash or car decision? Could you take the money for now, then when the Mondeo starts to play up just dump it and take a Motability car?
When do i have to make a decision? Well i was awarded DLA few months ago. Have always had difficulty getting out of the mondeo due to the low seating. If it were not for that problem i would be happy to keep the car because it has been trouble free in the last few years. Have been saving to buy a MPV mainly due to it's high seating. plan to spend up to £4k for which i probably end up with a highish mileaged car due to strong residual values. Now have the option to buy through mobility it seems worry free motoring. just wanted to know what view those people in my position had in the past.

Since the advance payment prices change every quarter i have till end of sept. Keen on the mazda 5 whose advance payment/deposit has come down in the last year. There is no guarantee that it will go up or down after sept.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - ukbeefy
I would hazard a guess that the motorbility price will not go up next quarter for the same model. The scheme is too big for mfters to ignore/turn off. I would imagine if you have a competitive attractive offer veh in one segment you could litterally gurantee a stream of motorbility businss to keep the thruput up...

A mate had a Renault Megane CC and almost 50% of the ones I see out and about parked have a Disabled badge on it...especially among younger Disabled types. It's cash payment even for the more expensive larger engine and auto model was half the price of a fairly basic A class.
Wazza, do check your timing. Mostly DLA is granted for a three year period and then has to be re-applied for - yes - all those forms AGAIN. To get a car on Motability you must have DLA for three years or more left to run.
Contact them and ask for an extension, say why you want to get a car ie height, reliabiity etc and ask if it can be extended. You may need to chase this up with them (repeatedly).
Worth getting a car through mobility? - mark999
Mobility now list wheelchair accessible vehicles which is what we need for our severely disabled teenager.
A Suitable vehicle is the VW transporter as for holidays we tow a caravan. Onthe Scheme the cheapest is 12 grand initial payment and 5 years loss of allowance. I'll have to do the sums to see if its worth it.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - Timaru
Presumably, like me, your daughter is a full time wheelchair user so does not have to pay VAT.

I bought the dealer's demonstrator, six months old 5k on the clock sticker price less 17.5%, plus lots of haggling added up to quite a bargain......

...... and three years down the road you still own the car.
We got the VAT back on an adjustable bed which was bought for my wife - all that was required was a doctor's letter to the bed supplier.
I am lead to believe that i must have a minimum of 12months left on my DLA when i collect my car. Since my award is for two years if at the end of the period it does not get renewed then i simply return the car :-(
Just wondering if there is a forum that deals specifically with mobility etc???
Worth getting a car through mobility? - 1066
give them a ring at motability. they are extremely helpful.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - tony g
Wazza,

You mentioned in an earlier part of the thread,the possibility of buying your motability car at the end of its contract.

As a car dealer I've often looked at buying ex motability cars .

The cars are excellent ,low mileage,full service history etc.

The problem is the price ,they are stupidly expensive ,you could buy the same car from a dealer for less money .

Regards

Tony g

Worth getting a car through mobility? - Avant

Tony - Wazza hasn't posted on here since May 2011 so he may not see this. Let's hope he got his Motability car in 2007, as it surely makes sense for those entitled, even if less so as a second-hand buy.

Worth getting a car through mobility? - tony g
Hi avant,sorry didn't realise it was a lasaruz post ,should have checked the dates .

Hi, i check the website daily so am still here :-)

Decided to go ahead and get a car through the motability scheme.

............ The problem is the price ,they are stupidly expensive ,you could buy the same car from a dealer for less money . Regards Tony g

Agree with you. When my 3 year contract was coming to an end i rang the motability people about purchasing the car at the end of the agreement. Their offer was way above the market value. Later found out that it is best to find out from the dealer where you plan to return the car where it is going to be auctioned off. Then go along and hopefully get it at a decent price.

Personally i went for a different car on the scheme at renewal.

Worth getting a car through mobility? - Bilbo1234

Just to add some common sense and grounding here. Is it worth it? No unless of course you dont have a car already and do plan on lashing out on a new or newish motor anyway, which is a foolish thing to do because as soon as it leaves the showroom you lose 40% nigh on (if you sold it three years later)

The questions you should ask:

1: How much do I spend per year running a car now (MOT/Servicing etc tax is free on DLA)

Most people would be unlucky if they spent around £1000 a year (DLA works out around £3000 a year in your pocket PIP enhanced at £57pw) so over three years the motability car would have cost you £9000 and then you have NOTHING left to show for it (this also presumes you did not choose to top up by upto £2000 for a better class of vehicle in which case you have already done your dough even worse)

I have a 14yr old well serviced car that looks and drives pretty much like new and in three years I will also have £6000 cash in my savings to help me have a better quality of life.

It's a no brainer really unless you are a snob who thinks owning brand new cars is a good idea. It aint. Fools gold. I once had a brand new vehicle and it was way cool for about 6mths until the new cars came out, then it was just as old as the one I got rid of before.

Spend the money or something more meaningful called having a life instead.

This of course only applies to Mr Average on DLA...some people who need modifications etc will need all the help they can get so it will then make sense.

As for the t***s whinging about who is entitled to it. Well teh DWP have already spent millions assessing that so your miserable unqualified comments are worthless.

Worth getting a car through mobility? - Ben 10
God knows how much this must be costing the tax payer. Wouldn't it be cheaper to give those that qualify free travel on public transport and pay taxi fares instead. In other words you would be chauffeured around at your convenience.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - skidpan
God knows how much this must be costing the tax payer. Wouldn't it be cheaper to give those that qualify free travel on public transport and pay taxi fares instead. In other words you would be chauffeured around at your convenience.

For pitties sake. Do you resent disabled persons having the same access to private transport as the rest of us. Do you want them to be relegated to using busses and taxis, which depending on where you live can be patchy or even non-existant. I choose to drive where I want when i want, why should a disabled person be prevented form doing this.

As I understand it disabled persons get an allowance that they can use towards their travel costs. If they choose they can use this through Motability to fund a car. They can add to the allowance to get a better car if they want one and can afford the extra.

It costs the tax payer no more for persons to have a car than use the bus etc. They get the same allowance whatever they do.

The unjustified resentment over Motability cars is beyond belief. The cost of the cars is actually pretty low as Motability is one of the largest fleet operators in the world and commands advantageous lease rates. The benefits have already been reduced (restrictions on car types and on distance from recipients home a designatd driver may reside) following an egregiously malevolent camapaign by a newspaper (take a bow Daily Mail).

To borrow and adapt the French disabled by signage 'If you take my car will you also take my disability'.

Worth getting a car through mobility? - thunderbird

God knows how much this must be costing the tax payer. Wouldn't it be cheaper to give those that qualify free travel on public transport and pay taxi fares instead. In other words you would be chauffeured around at your convenience

This comment has clearly been made by a very ignorant person. As the previous poster said "The unjustified resentment over Motability cars is beyond belief".

Take the example of our next door but 2 neighbour. Over 30 years ago he was knocked off his motorcycle by a drunken lady at lunctime. Paralysed from the waist down. Once his hospital treatment and rehabilitation was completed and after he had gained a driving licence with the use of his motability cars he has been able to hold down a full time job, go on holidays, play wheelchair basket ball etc all without relying on other persons or public transport. He has exactly the same freedom of movement that I have and very possibly a better social life.

Would I want to see him wheeling himself for a bus or waiting for a taxi. No way.

Worth getting a car through mobility? - Ben 10
So what you're saying is that the millions spent over the last 10-20 years to convert access to buses, train stations, taxis has been a total waste of money and that cars are the best way to accommodate those in unfortunate circumstances.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - alan1302
So what you're saying is that the millions spent over the last 10-20 years to convert access to buses, train stations, taxis has been a total waste of money and that cars are the best way to accommodate those in unfortunate circumstances.

I don't think you are understanding it at all. I'm assuming you are quite young with no life experiences?

It's not an either/or situation though is it?

Worth getting a car through mobility? - Smileyman

Is the scheme means tested - I accept there is a good argument for disabled to have assistance with transport, but the giving of vehicles should be a priviledge for the most needy, not a right for all. In the past I've known some of those benefiting and felt sick that they get given on a silver platter something greater than many ordinary working people can only dream about.

Is the scheme means tested - I accept there is a good argument for disabled to have assistance with transport, but the giving of vehicles should be a priviledge for the most needy, not a right for all.

Need is not just a financial thing though is it?

Eligibiilty for Motability cars requires the claimant to be receiving Disability Living Allowance (Mobility) at the higher rate. The criteria for that benefit is that claimant is unable or virtually unable to walk. Reason doesn't matter; could be industrial injury, congenital issue or debilitating illness.

It's a universal benefit, like the Old Age Pension. It does though enable those who qualify to get out and live a normal life inluding eraninig a living and paying taxes.

If it were means tested at a level where significant savings were made effect would probably be that large numbers of people would have to give up work, become housebound etc.

Worth getting a car through mobility? - galileo

I regularly pass the local PDSA; most days there are 2 or 3 shiny MPV's or 4x4's outside, with blue badges, parked on the double yellow lines no more than 2 yards from a busy junction.

Most of the users seem to suffer from obesity, but it's hard to believe they are incapable of walking another few yards to a wider and safer place to leave the cars.

I'm sure you can get a good idea of someone's disability just from looking at them. Also how do you know who is the person in receipt of the mobility allowance? The driver may not be and driving someone else about.

It's always easy to criticise without any actual facts.
Worth getting a car through mobility? - brum

I think we've all seen many a blue badge holder leap out of their car and run across to the entrance of a shop then half an hour later come out with a boat load of stuff, which they have no problem throwing into the boot of their range rover or mercedes slk.....No.... there is definite abuse of blue badges and I dare say mobility. If not fraudulent claims , then fraudulent use e.g. used solely by a partner or relative without the disabled person.

These fraudsters usually grab the prime positions, or even just park where they want, (inside the shop if it were possible) and spoil it for the genuinely disabled.....

Of course this may be a delicate subject here with so many elderly members....;)

Edited by brum on 09/10/2014 at 22:02

Yeah, of course there are some people that bend/break the rules but I don't believe it is the majority of cases.

Although it's not always easy to tell as when I go out with my wife and mother in-law say to go shopping we use the Blue Badge so she can get out of the car easily and be closer to the shops but to someone watching it mainly looks like me dashing about from shop to shop putting stuff in the boot as we go round the retail park.
Yeah, of course there are some people that bend/break the rules but I don't believe it is the majority of cases. Although it's not always easy to tell as when I go out with my wife and mother in-law say to go shopping we use the Blue Badge so she can get out of the car easily and be closer to the shops but to someone watching it mainly looks like me dashing about from shop to shop putting stuff in the boot as we go round the retail park.

There are also plenty of conditions, ranging from MS to brain injury, where symptoms vary by the day or hour. And if people break the rules the answer is to come down on them with a ton of bricks, not make life even more difficult for the genuine cases.

Worth getting a car through mobility? - galileo
I'm sure you can get a good idea of someone's disability just from looking at them. Also how do you know who is the person in receipt of the mobility allowance? The driver may not be and driving someone else about. It's always easy to criticise without any actual facts.

I got a blue badge for my mother when she had heart problems in her eighties, my wife got one for her mother at a similar age. Neither of us abused the system, and took care not to obstruct roads and creat hazards by parking in silly locations - would drop off the aged parent, then move the car elsewhere.

I object strongly to the young, fit, lazy b******s who use disabled parking spaces at supermarkets and in town centres, enforcement never seems to catch up with them.

Worth getting a car through mobility? - blindspot

£50 a week = 2600 a year. sure i could buy a car and run it for less than that.

after 3 years you loose your no claims benefit and would be stuck with mobility

£50 a week = 2600 a year. sure i could buy a car and run it for less than that.

after 3 years you loose your no claims benefit and would be stuck with mobility

A suitable, new build car? Adapted for your disability (wheelchair accessible, hand controls)?

And with full breakdown etc cover?

Would think an adapted vehicle would be more than 50 quid a week. Could source a vehicle of eBay with adaptions. Might depend on your insurance costs to add up the sums.

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 12/10/2014 at 00:14