Undertaking on Motorways - peanut
I was wondering what folk thought about undertaking on Motorways. I've just been to North America, where they overtake either side; it doesn't seem to cause any problems, and you soon get used to it. It just seems daft, when Motorways are at capacity much of the time, to have an inside lane nearly empty, and for the overtaking lane to be full, just because someone wants to drive in the middle lane at 60.
Undertaking - Lud
The answer is to enforce the existing laws so that the slack-jawed carphounds who dawdle down the middle lane stop doing it or are all banned from driving. Then no one will be tempted to overtake on the near side.

I am afraid though that they are already getting used to it. I don't like doing it or having it done to me but the habit seems to be spreading willy-nilly.
Undertaking - Altea Ego
Did it this morning. M40 for about 4 miles, indicated 75 mph in the inside lane, undertook about 40 cars. It wasnt a deliberate undertake so much, more like I was doing 70 in my lane, the others were not.

The fact that I could do it means the others were at fault - not me.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Undertaking - flunky

Unfortunately it does increase the risk of accidents, as vehicles in middle lane assume there is not faster moving traffic on left, and will not always see you.
Undertaking - Lud
Just so flunky. In America people expect it, not here.

Some bits of 4-lane motorway where there are big two-lane slip roads are different. But if, for example, I want to turn off the A3 Kingston bypass towards Chessington, there's often an empty near-side left-turn lane and people pootling at or below the absurd 50 limit in the middle lane. I am still inhibited about undertaking there, for good reason, and do it badly and reluctantly.
Undertaking - flunky
Just so flunky. In America people expect it not here.
Some bits of 4-lane motorway where there are big two-lane slip roads are different. But
if for example I want to turn off the A3 Kingston bypass towards Chessington there's
often an empty near-side left-turn lane and people pootling at or below the absurd 50
limit in the middle lane.

I once ran into the back of someone on the A40 while driving a borrowed van in similar circumstances, at a point where the speed limit had dropped from 70mph to 50mph, and the left lane is for left-turn only, and in the rush hour the remaining two lanes become almost stationary, having been free-flowing (loss of one lane being a problem), I went from right lane to middle to left (as I was to turn off), doing about 45, zooming past the stationary London-bound traffic, at which point a van signalling left and looking to jump the queue before pulling back into the London traffic, pulled out in to my path at about 10mph.

Since this incident I have been more wary of the following:

* vehicles with indicators on (assuming they will pull straight into my path)
* travelling faster than the traffic to my right

I think it is particularly rude to travel faster in the left lane than traffic in the middle lane when you end up impeding a car that has come from the right-hand lane and wants to take the exit: where he might be doing say 90mph in right-hand lane, but then when moving left, is now sandwiched into a stream of slow traffic in the middle lane, and then on moving left again should not reasonably expect the left-hand lane to be going faster than him (which might mean he has to wait quite a while he is undertaken by traffic on his left).
Undertaking - bell boy
Wont work here peanut,there's enough people on our crowded roads that shouldn't be driving for one reason or another ,so to give them carte blanche undertaking freedom would just cause carnage.
However it would be nice if we could.
Got to say you had me with the undertaking on motorways bit at first as i wondered where the cadaver would be buried
Undertaking - FotheringtonThomas
Got to say you had me with the undertaking on motorways bit at first as
i wondered where the cadaver would be buried

"Overtaking on the inside" is a more accurate description than "undertaking".
Undertaking on Motorways - Cardew
Firstly it does cause problems in the USA.

Technically it is as illegal as it is in UK; but of course widely ignored; and no it is not legal in UK unless it is slow moving traffic - not at motorway speeds.

In the USA the problems occurs when you are in the outside lane in a queue of traffic waiting to overtake slower traffic. Leave anything like a sensible gap from the car in front(never mind the 2 second rule) and you will be undertaken and 'cut up'.

To prevent this the gaps are closed and leads inevitability to tailgating, which is of a different order to anything witnessed in UK; and a major cause of accidents.

For sure(as F1 drivers would say) we all get fed up with those hogging the middle lane, but in the vast majority of cases those in the outside lane are wanting to go faster and waiting their turn to overtake. It is bad enough with the ignorant pink fluffy dice who currently undertake simply to barge into a gap to jump the queue.

Legalise that bully boy approach and we will have mayhem. Can't you just imagine white van man using his muscle when it ain't illegal!!!
Undertaking on Motorways - Bill Payer
Technically it is as illegal as it is in UK;

I suggested this in another forum (as an American colleague told me it was illegal) and a load of people came back with links to bits in US 'highway codes' that specifically say it is legal, at least on roads that are not Freeways.

On Freeways, it did suggest overtaking should be on the outside, but doesn't say you can't overtake on inside.

It's possible that it's different state by state.
Undertaking on Motorways - ziggy
It is much safer to allow it than have all cars bunched up in 2 right hand lines which are then at risk of a pile up. Of course the US does tend to have lower speed limits and I'm not sure I would be so keen on a de-restricted section of the Autobahn.

What annoys me is those police programs where the 'evidence' is a rear-racing video of somebody tailgating a police car who wants to over-take. You never see what the police car is doing, are they moving over promptly..? Or are they provoking the incident..?

Undertaking on Motorways - flunky
It is much safer to allow it than have all cars bunched up in 2
right hand lines which are then at risk of a pile up.

Only if people are too close.

I always leave a good gap to the car in front, personally I find right-hand lane safest place to be.
Undertaking on Motorways - ziggy
SNIPQUOTE! Obviously the words "Please keep this thread as readable as possible by editing the quote to include only relevant text" means nothing to you?
I always leave a good gap to the car in front personally I find right-hand
lane safest place to be.

I bet you have a nice view from your office..? Not located in an Ivory Tower by any chance..?

Your theory works fine in low density traffic. In many situations though, there will be no decent gap for you to move into in the right hand lane, unless you push in and brake to create a gap. And then somebody will soon fill that space in front of you.

Common sense is to use available space. This is not the same as erratic or aggressive undertaking.

In any case the highway code does allow understaking. The question is the definition of a 'queue'.

If the middle lane is empty, the right hand line is bunching and slowing down and you are in the left lane, do you automatically slow down to avoid undertaking the cars in the right hand lane..?

It is much safer to allow it than have all cars bunched up in 2
right hand lines which are then at risk of a pile up.

I can't see your logic there.

The situation very rarely occurs where the inside lane is completely free of traffic.

The normal undertaking situation that we witness is pure queue jumping and it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise. The danger usually comes when the undertaking car moves into an outside lane leaving a trail of braking cars behind him.

How many times have we all sat in the outside lane in a queue of half a dozen cars, all travelling at 60mph waiting to overtake a lorry at 55mph, when a car cruises up on our inside and forces his way into our lane ahead of us.

The problem is obviously those cars that don't move over to the left when appropriate; but the solution is not to legalise undertaking.
Undertaking on Motorways - Altea Ego
How many times have we all sat in the outside lane in a queue of half a dozen cars, all travelling at 60mph waiting to overtake a lorry at 55mph, when a car cruises up on our inside and forces his way into our lane ahead of us.

Hiya Cardew, ( waves ) that was me.

When did the crown give you your lane BTW?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Undertaking on Motorways - Lud
forces his way into our lane
ahead of us.
Hiya Cardew ( waves ) that was me.

Surely not TVM. 'Forces'? Surely not.

If so, I hope we never meet on the road. I bet my car's older and less valuable than yours.

So watch out when you are in forcing mode. Not everyone takes kindly to it.

Want to learn the meaning of fundamentalist do you?
No Lud,

I dont force. I slip gracefully in.

The point is tho Lud, if everyone "zipped" at the mobile chicane that is the lorry driver with his gay boy blue lights, there would be no "agro"

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Oh. And I always let *one* person in who cruises up gracefully if I am in the "fast lane overtaking" queue.

Just one tho.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yeah, well, graceful slippers I tolerate.

But the timing can be very important. Not everyone can manage it like you.

And me actually sometimes, he admitted with a blush.
When did the crown give you your lane BTW?

Hi RF,
When you resort to semantics you have lost the argument methinks!
Undertaking on Motorways - BobbyG
I had this exact argument with my brother on Thursday whilst he was driving us back from Cambridge to Bishops Stortford on the M11. He sat in th eoutside lane the whole time, hitting the brakes as the queue of rush hour traffic kept slowing down but he was adamant that he wasn't going to allow these inside lane "queue-jumpers" get in front of him.

He was totally miffed when I pointed out that the inside lane was going faster, no one was moving into the outside lane, and not one single brake light had been lit on the inside lane. He moans about the stressful journey he has, I told him just to sit in the inside lane, worse case scenario he might be a vouple of mins later but he won't have burnt out his brake lights!

[Incidentally, this is the same brother who a few years ago ran into the back of a car on the motorway. He was adamant it was the other guy's fault cos he had ABS and had braked too quickly thus stopping quicker than he should have!]
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Undertaking on Motorways - Westpig
TVM,

If a number of people are patiently waiting in the outside lane for traffic ahead to move on faster (and wish to drive faster themselves), they are hardly going to pull over left for someone else to overtake them correctly to the right, are they?

what you are admitting to is 'driving without due care' or 'driving without reasonable consideration for other road users'...because you're going up the nearside and then changing into the very lane that everyone is waiting in........why do you think they are there?

one person at the front may be wrong in that they don't pull over quickly enough (or at all) but sometimes someone might be legitimately overtaking at a speed they're comfortable at and everyone else has to be patient .... all those stuck behind him/her have a choice of driving illegally i.e. undertaking or patiently waiting for the person to pull over.

undertakers do not help at all, it causes friction and 'unnecessariness' and is as equally wrong as someone hogging a lane and not pulling left when they can.

there is of course a difference between two different lanes of traffic driving at different speeds momentarily, mostly in jams..to.....someone deliberately undertaking a whole line of cars with a view to making better progress...(and justifying it by stating that the whole line of cars are wrong because they're leaving a gap to the left)
Undertaking on Motorways - Bill Payer
Certainly on M6 from the end of the toll road to Nantwich I generally breeze along in lane 1 when it's busy - I don't think it makes a significant difference to journey times but it's much more relaxing.

I'm afraid that legalising overtaking on the left would be a complete nighmare in the UK - it works in the US as the vasy majority of people cuise at 55/65. In the UK there would be a *lot* of people who would drive as fast as the possibly could, swerving from lane to lane wherever they could get any advantage.
Westie.

4 Miles. Thats 4 miles my lane was clear for. Three lane motorway. Middle lane full at 70ish, outside lane empty. I made progress at 70ish plus a bit.

Had you tried to take me to court sir you would have had a hard time making a due care or reasonable consideration stick

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Undertaking on Motorways - runboy
I'm with TVM and no do the same. I'm fed up with using lane one, then having to move over to lane 3 and back to lane 1 just to overtake some numpty who thinks 60mph in the middle lane is ok.

And if overtaking in lane 1 and 3 became the norm I really worry when people say it would cause accidents because people do not "expect" it. If I drove around "expecting" all other drivers to do "what I think they would do" I wouldn't last long.
RF
All the '4 miles of empty lane' or the '60 mph numpty in the middle lane' examples quoted do not hide the fact that the majority of 'undertaking' is the queue jumping scenario described above and referred to by Westpig.

You seemed to indicate that you find undertaking in those circumstances an acceptable practice? Indeed you allow one car to undertake you. Well what happens if two cars try to undertake you? I suggest you close the gap?

Personally if I am in a queue to pass a slower vehicle and some pink fluffy dice undertakes me I do everything possible to stop him cutting me up and taking his place ahead of me in the queue, which inevitably means getting too close for comfort to the vehicle in front.

I really can't see the difference between queuing to overtake a slower vehicle and, say, queuing at a supermarket checkout. I find it unacceptable in both cases for someone to push into the queue ahead of me.
Undertaking on Motorways - daveyjp
"if I am in a queue to pass a slower vehicle and some pink fluffy dice undertakes me I do everything possible to stop him cutting me up and taking his place ahead of me in the queue"

Which actually makes you no better driver than them. Better to have someone who does this in front of you so you can keep en eye on them.
Cardew me old fruit. You have quoted me wrong again. I did not say I let people undertake me, I said I let one car in, in doing so one allows a car gap and a bit to develop If everyone did that then two lanes of road would be utlilised right up to the mobile pinch point, and good progress would be made by all.

Alas most of the outside lane, brake light flashers are pigs. Oopps it seems you are proud to be counted among that breed. Apologies.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
i'm often called a pig.......:-)
Only behind your back porkie ;-)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Undertaking on Motorways - Nickdm
I undertook an old slow-moving Peugeot on the A1 in Germany last week. He knew that I was behind him, and the inside lane was clear, but he chose to stay in the fast lane to annoy me I guess. Childish. When I passed him on the inside his passenger whipped out a camera to photograph me! What do they think they are doing?! My car has French number plates, so presumably if he wants to try to "shop" me the police will have a job?! Not too worried anyway, surely I could claim entrapment?
RF
I am totally confused on your position.

Firstly let me make my position clear.

I am happy to wait my turn in a queue to overtake a slower moving vehicle in the centre lane. I do try, and succeed most of the time, to leave a good safe gap between myself and the car in front(the 2 second rule seems sensible to me)

However if someone undertakes me, I will not willingly let him push in front of me. That inevitably means closing the gap to signal my intent. If that is your definition of a pig - so be it. Although I hardly think that term makes a positive contribution to this discussion.

From the tone of your earlier posts I(and apparently Westpig and others) understood that you considered it acceptable to undertake in the scenario above - i.e. a queue of vehicles in the fast lane waiting to overtake a slower vehicle - and 'slip' into the queue. In fact I further understood that you wished to make this practice legal.

So perhaps you could enlighten us on your position about undertaking in that scenario. Acceptable? Or not acceptable?
In the scenario where there is a dual lane road, with a mobile obstruction (say a lorry) in the inside lane, and a Q of cars in the outer lane of, say about 15-20.

Frequently seen on the A14 btw.

Yes acceptable to cruise up to within 4 cars lengths of the lorry and "slip in" If everyone in the q'ing outside lane allowed one person to merge in turn at the mobile obstruction then our 20 car outer lane Q is actually only 10. The other 10 are in the inner lane, merging in turn at the pinch point. Everyone gets through just as fast

Afraid tho this conept seems alien to people in the outer lane with the "MY" place in the Q, "MY" bit of road, "MY" rights" mentality. In short a very selfish attitude. In fact it makes it worse because everyone is afraid to use the inner lane to its capacity. How foolish is it to have 1000 yards of unused roadspace on a busy road. All because of the "MY" attitude.

I see both the good scenario (in my view) and the selfish scenario on a weekly basis along a 30 mile stretch of the A14. In my experience, the good scenario is much less hastle, more relaxing, and provides better progress than the "MY" roadspace scenario.

I consider the assertion selfishness = pig to be valid. It works both ways to be fair. If one has the scenario of moble obstruction with a Q of 5 cars waiting to overtake, and car 5 decides to do a rapid under take to get in front of car 4,3,2 or 1, then a scenario of car 5 being forced under the rear wheels of a 38 tonner by car 4,3,or 2 I consider to be equally acceptable.

You see its all about selfish attitude. Be it Mr "MY" or be it Mr CAR5
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
You see its all about selfish attitude. Be it Mr "MY" or be it Mr
CAR5

so..you're driving along perfectly respectably and come up behind others. You wait patiently, but would like to 'get a move on'.....then you notice someone else, driving in a similar fashion come up behind you. They too would like to 'get a move on'. Instead of waiting behind you, they go for the inside lane...undertake everyone......and ineviatbly 'force' their way in, because usually they won't be let in.

Throughout this selfishness, the whole time I, waiting patiently for the queue to end, am considered to be the 'pig' and it's me driving selfishly because i'm guarding MY space.....

Good Lord, you learn something every day. I can only speak for myself, but the MY bit only kicks in, when someone else who'se exceedinbly selfish, thinks "I can't be bothered to wait, despite the fact all this lot are waiting patiently" and then decides to commit a driving offence to gain a bit more progress......and often commits another offence to force themselves in. Yes, i do become a bit MY space in those circumstances.

It's like waiting for a beer at the bar, it's your turn next, when the brash type breezes in and shouts at the barman despite the fact it's glaringly obvious someone else was there first and is patiently waiting to be served....i used to 'let them get on with it' and quietely seethe...not any more.....must be my age and increasing grumpiness.
Ok westie, scenario for you. ( I have seen this BTW )

A14 - one cruises along in the inner lane at 65mph, one comes up to a line of cars in the outside lane at 55mph. The inner lane is empty as far as you can see.

Q1 What do you do?

I continued along at 65mph in the inner lane for another 2 miles approx, "undertaking if you will" so many cars I didnt bother to count. After 2 miles I saw the obstruction in the innner lane about 800 yards away, traveling at approx 50mph with three cars behind it. Between 800 to 300 yards behind the obstruction, a gap appeared into the outer lane sufficiently large for me to pull into it without anyone being forced to brake.

At what point did I do anything wrong, legally or morally?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Undertaking on Motorways - LHM
A14 - one cruises along in the inner lane at 65mph one comes up to
a line of cars in the outside lane at 55mph. The inner lane is empty
as far as you can see.

etc.

If it's any consolation, TVM, I've done this on many occasions down this same (very unpleasant) road!

Frequently, traffic in lane 2 (of 2) will 'concertina brake' down to 20mph or less. What are you expected to do if you're in lane 1 and have a mile of empty lane ahead of you - slow to 19mph and hang back in an oh-so-British way behind a particular vehicle in lane 2? I think not.

My approach is to keep the differential speed with the other lane down to manageable proportions - say 20 mph max. Constant observation and anticipation have kept me out of trouble for 10 years on this road, and others like it. Keeping well left in the lane, dipped headlights and considering the use of the hard shoulder in extremis also come into play (though I've never had to make use of the last one!).

The 'concertina' effect mentioned above provides ample opportunity to safely fit into lane 2 in good time to overtake lane 1 traffic when the need arises.

Unlike many others on the A14, I often get from Cambridge to Huntingdon without once touching the brakes!

Well RF all I can say is I wouldn't have believed you could have written such a post!

What about every one being courteous and allowing full use of the road space.?

You are right - not at all like me.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
My final musings on this, and possibly an insight into why I am so vehement about it.

I face scenario every week. Each time mental turmoil goes on in my car. The thought streams centred around:

"if i stay on the inside lane no one will let me out" "its madness to Q for 400/600/800 yards when the inside lane is empty" "at what point do I use the outside lane" "when shall i use the inside lane" "where" "when" "am I being a pig" "is he being a pig" "shall I let him in" "I am now in the outside lane, if I go on the inside lane I will never get out again"

And so on.

You know what? Everyone is probably having similar mental battles. You know the outcome?
You have a stream of cars all doing 55 mph in the outside lane, the inside lane empty because they are all damn scared they will never be let back out again. For mile after mile after mile.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Undertaking on Motorways - c0cky
If everybody was in the left most lane that they could be in then it would be impossible to overtake. The fact that someone can draw level with you, never mind cutting in front of you implies to me that you should be in the middle / left hand lane yourself.

The fact that someone can draw level with you never mind cutting in front of you implies to me that you should be in the middle / left hand lane yourself.

what happens when you come up behind someone who they themselves want to overtake someone in front, but are being held up.....should they give way to you and immediately pull over?....and then before it happens, someone comes up behind you...should you immediately give way and pull left, or do you wait for the chap in front to pull in for you?

there are times when you have to be patient and wait.........there are times when a whole host of people are being patient and waiting for the queue ahead to speed up to the speed they'd like to travel at.........undertaking them and then cutting in isn't going to aid their patience is it?

middle lane hoggers and those that don't pull in quickly enough (or at all) when they've completed their manoeuver (i.e. when there's nothing in fornt of them holding them up) are the ones to blame......

two wrongs don't make a right......i.e. someone holding a queue up and then another one does an undertake to compensate........ am I on any moral high ground.....er, no...3 times yesterday, on a motorway i came up behind people, left them a nice gap... when they could have pulled over, they didn't........i hovered, got a bit closer, drifted over so that their offside mirror was visible...gave it 5 or 6 minutes...then gave up and er, undertook.....but i shouldn't have to should I?
Undertaking on Motorways - daveyjp
"if someone undertakes me, I will not willingly let him push in front of me"

But why not? Are you really so concerned that someone will arrive somewhere before you? Let them get on with it. Leave a larger gap and they won't be 'pushing in front' they will be occupying a gap you have left for them - you may need that gap legitmately one day and you'll be thankful someone left it for you.

Remember the only vehicle you can control is your own. Accidents don't discrimate about who is 'right and who is 'wrong'. At 70mph I'm out to preserve my life - if that means letting a few nutters get in front of me so be it.
If everybody was in the left most lane that they could be in then it
would be impossible to overtake*. The fact that someone can draw level with you never
mind cutting in front of you implies to me that you should be in the
middle / left hand lane yourself.

*I assume you mean 'undertake'?

Have you by any chance read the previous posts in this thread?

We have been discussing the very common scenario of a queue of vehicles in the outside overtaking lane(all travelling at below their desired speed) waiting their turn to overtake a slow moving vehicle in the middle lane.

Is not the implication of your post that the second car in the queue should immediately move to the left and get behind the slow moving vehicle. The third car overtakes the second car, the fourth car moves left behind car No 2 and fifth car overtakes the fourth etc etc.

So you join a queue of vehicles in the fast lane in the scenario above. What is your recommended action?

Undertaking on Motorways - Murphy The Cat
A lot of people on this thread could do with chilling out and relaxing a bit.

For crying out loud, its a car that takes you in a journey from A-B, not a gladitorial battle to the death

MTC
MTC,

Do you have a mundane A-B motor....or a somewhat glamorous looking chariot?.....:-)
Undertaking on Motorways - ijws15
From my observations;

1 Most of the drivers in the outside lane never leave it;
2 There are middle lane drivers;

Why should those in the first category get upset when my progress in lane 1 & 2 is quicker than theirs and I seek to use lane three to pass one of the second category! After all I will pull back in after my overtake (unlike them) and leave them to their suicidal dicing in lane 3.

The inside lane is the safest - it has a ready made escape route (hard shoulder).

Undertaking on Motorways - Murphy The Cat
By happy coincidence, my chariot is indeed of the glamourous looking variety (in my eyes anyway).

T'other funny thing, is that the cars in front tend to 'leap' out of my way when they see me coming in lane 3, in a 'parting of the Red Sea' type way :):)>> MTC
Do you have a mundane A-B motor....or a somewhat glamorous looking chariot?.....:-)

MTC
T'other funny thing is that the cars in front tend to 'leap' out of my
way when they see me coming in lane 3 in a 'parting of the Red
Sea' type way :):)>> MTC

Would you argue with the local drug dealer?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A lot of people on this thread could do with chilling out and relaxing a
bit.
For crying out loud its a car that takes you in a journey from A-B
not a gladitorial battle to the death

Henceforth I wish to be known as General Maximus Decimus Meridius - commander of the Northern imperial armies.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Undertaking on Motorways - Xileno {P}
Nobody likes to admit they're wrong - or bought a duff car!
I am with Westpig and helicopter on this rather than HJ and TVM.

I can't claim never to undertake, but I don't like doing it and don't do it at any proper decent speed. It can be done, one can get good at it, but it's an added stress factor in the driving. If you come to grief there's going to be a long, difficult, tedious argument.

A traffic police blitz on slack-jawed carphounds - by no means all women helicopter - who hog the middle lane or the even worse elements who pull into the overtaking lane only to slow down and inch past the vehicles they have pulled out to overtake, would clear the air wonderfully. Trouble is they would have to recruit thousands of traffic police, and they aren't going to are they?

AS Westpig says, you sometimes have to be patient even if it doesn't come naturally.
I am with Westpig and helicopter on this rather than HJ and TVM.

Helicopter?
Helicopter?

Hallucination obviously. Sorry.
Undertaking on Motorways - bell boy
obviously your head is spinning lud ;-o
try gyrating sideways
ive lost the will to live reading all these posts :-()
Yup, the thread is going round and round rotor style.

Disconnect the tailfan and it will start to rotate us faster and faster in the other direction.
Undertaking on Motorways - ForumNeedsModerating
There probably isn't always a correct answer in this situation. At one extreme there's what we might call the 'TVM tendency' - the pro-active, if somewhat irritating (to the 'patient' queue) approach. As a former despatch riding hooligan I indulged in this quite often, but I had the advantage of superior acceleration & smaller size, as well as a smaller & less threatening profile being on a bike, so, I could often get away with this without provoking feelings of road rage. When a car driver executes this on the patient queue (PQ) , there's often a degree of co-operation needed, i.e. the PQ driver has to, in some degree let the TVMt driver in or else drive dangerously close to the car/obstruction in front. On a purely democratic basis, the TVMt driver is being undemocratic, by causing the PQ convoy to brake/re-adjust their following distances.

OTOH, is does seem rather ridiculous to be so bound by the invisible force field of social moral opprobrium, that you will stay behind an 'obstructing' driver on a multi-lane road forever, when a simple quick & *safe undertake (*caveat infinitum) allows progress. Much the same occurs when joining via a slip-road: Is it 'ok' to accelerate away from an obliging driver who moves over into lane 2/3, so that you're effectively undertaking him/her too? Good manners say 'no' , but good progess says 'yes'.
Undertaking on Motorways - Mad Maxy
I confess to undertaking now and again. But only on reatively uncrowded M-ways when there's a middle-lane hogger and I don't want to use three lanes to do an overtake. I also hope it'll make the hogger think. That is my definition of 'undertaking' - apart from what the funeral boys do, of course.

However, I happily pass slower vehicles on their left when, on a clogged M-way, the speed in the lanes is continually varying. It would be daft not to. I disappprove of drivers who dart all over the place in pursuit of clear road and a few yards' gain each time. Every manoeuvre on a busy road creates a hazard if it causes other drivers to change speed or direction - which I try to avoid.

Two more thoughts:
1. On 4- or 5-lane M-ways lane discipline is always awful, even at non-busy times. I believe it's beyond the wit of most drivers to weigh up all that's happening and position their vehicle appropriately.

2. Have you noticed, where there's a warning of lane 1 becoming a slip road a mile ahead, how many drivers - of HGVs especially - move straight into lane 2? You've got a mile and about a minute to plan and execute your move for heaven's sake!
Undertaking on Motorways - peanut
I'm with Mad Maxy on this. I don't like queue jumpers, but that is a different scenario to an uncrowded motorway with a middle lane hogger, or even someone pootling along in lane 3, when the other lanes are clear, oblivious to the tailback behind them.

So how do you persuade someone in the middle lane doing 60 to move to lane 1?

peanut
Undertaking on Motorways - FotheringtonThomas
So how do you persuade someone in the middle lane doing 60 to move to
lane 1?

Put on a special hat and clothes. Drive a garishly-coloured car. Do Your Duty.
Undertaking on Motorways - helicopter
I am not quite sure why the query Lud and Cardew - I am not a hallucination , I was definitely there in the mirror when I shaved this morning....

As I said above I think yes I am generally in agreement with Westpig. We've all been in the slow moving motorway traffic and up to 20 mph it is quite OK to undertake , nobody seems to mind.

Its the duck and dive lane change merchants who force themselves in that annoy.

Everybody objects to perceiving someone as 'getting one over them' by 'pushing in' in front .It is human nature to want to stop people doing this .

I am not sure that the American way is any better having been on interstates around Memphis looking for the exit and having huge American trucks overtaking on either side and sitting inches behind you like something out of Duel.
Very sorry helicopter! When I looked for the post I knew I had seen I couldn't find it. It is Cardew, not I, who casts doubt on your presence.

Hooray! I'm not gaga yet after all!
I am not quite sure why the query Lud and Cardew - I am not
a hallucination I was definitely there in the mirror when I shaved this morning....

Sorry Helicopter, missed your post as it was 'above' earlier posts -
Undertaking on Motorways - c0cky
My post suggests that there should not be a queue in the fast lane at all as you should be in the middle lane until you overtake. Therefore I shouldn't have to move to the fastlane until I am overtaking.

Obviously this isn't going to be the case as there are some queues of cars waiting to overtake overtaking cars, but there is no reason why these large queues shouldn't be shortened by following this rule.

But the general situations I come across are cars that can't be bothered to pull over into hte middle / left most lane as they'll only have to pull back out again in half a mile / mile or so anyway. Or as was mentioned earlier stay there in case they can't pull out again when they need to.
Everyone seems to have a set of circumstances to justify undertaking, 1 mile of clear road, 4 miles of clear road even, 19mph in outside lane etc.

The scenario I come across all the time is much different. It consists of:

1. inside(LH) lane busy at 50-60mph.

2. Centre lane has someone overtaking at barely any speed differential to inside lane.

3. Queue of half a dozen or so cars has formed in outside lane waiting to overtake vehicle in centre lane - this means there is perhaps 100 - 200 yds of empty lane to the left of this queue of cars.

4. A vehicle in outside lane, approaching back of queue, moves to centre lane and undertakes queue and barges back in at head of the queue.

It is bad enough at the moment; legalising it would cause mayhem IMO.
Undertaking on Motorways - FP
Spot-on, Cardew.

What you describe is also what I see a lot of. While some undertaking may seem harmless, legalising any undertaking opens the door to potentially dangerous driving.
>>
It is bad enough at the moment; legalising it would cause mayhem IMO.

Yes but Cardew, to play devil's advocate for a moment and understand all the impatience, not difficult surely, instead of blaming the impatient person blame the screaming carphound at the front of the overtaking-lane queue.

The technique I have described, that we all know, that you imply in your post above, deserves the death penalty surely, or something even worse?

Why do you think I and others are so rude to people who are afraid to go at 70-plus when out there with the brisk stuff?

Becuse they are a pain in the fundament and haven't the sense or modesty to stay out of the way, that's why.
Yes but Cardew to play devil's advocate for a moment

That's not playing the Devil's advocate as most of us can understand the frustration caused by Middle lane hogs and people who won't accelerate to overtake. They are very clearly the cause of much of the frustration. Although it was even worse when big trucks were allowed in the outside lane - 3 lorries abreast for miles was a real pain.

In the USA the inevitable consequence of 'tolerated' undertaking is tailgating of an order that we don't see in the UK. If you leave a safe gap you will be undertaken time and again - so everyone drives a few feet from the car in front.
Undertaking on Motorways - Kevin
Cardew,

I don't know which part of the US you are talking about but in Texas the lane discipline is pretty good. Most drivers actually take notice of the "Slower Traffic move Right" signs on the freeway.

The only exception is Houston where Messrs Smith & Wesson seem to rule the highway.

Kevin...
Cardew
I don't know which part of the US you are talking about but in Texas
the lane discipline is pretty good. Most drivers actually take notice of the "Slower Traffic
move Right" signs on the freeway.

I spend several months each year in the US mainly Florida and California.

I do notice that people are more likely to move to the right these days when the inside lane is clear. Generally I think driving in the USA is more relaxing than UK; there isn't the speed differentials we get in UK.

However it is when vehicles are in the Left(overtaking) lane legitimately overtaking slower traffic that the problems occur(particularly as many US Freeways are two lane)

Undertaking on Motorways - Roger Jones
"everyone drives a few feet from the car in front."

Reminds me of the time in Tempe when I looked up to see a dozen cars shunting each other on the overpass above. And it was a beautiful clear and dry Arizona day. Idiots.
Undertaking on Motorways - FotheringtonThomas
I was wondering what folk thought about undertaking on Motorways.

If it's allowed, and everyone knows about it, OK. If it's not allowed, it's not OK. Members of the MLOC should be prosecuted if possible (following car with video).
Undertaking on Motorways - wotspur
had 2 unfortunate pieces of driving by others today on the M25,firstly between 9-8,this morning, raining and I was overtaking a car , i looked in the wing mirror, to find he wasn't behind me, but racing me, then accelerating, before speeding off - what a nutter.
Then this evening junc 28-31, 15 miles or so of tailbacks, very slow moving took 1.30 to do 15 miles !! at least 4 cars moved into a space, that caused me and others to break sharply, and for the next 7-10 miles, not manage to get any benefits in temrs of overtking anyone -why bother