Damsel in Distress - Gayle
OK, I know this is going to sound a typically female question but here we go!! A red warning light has come on in my Peugeot 405 and I have no idea what it is. I don't have the handbook so can't look it up. It is not the oil light and is over the other side on the right. It is 2 horizantal wobbly lines with what looks like a cap on top (as in a screw cap not a sports cap!!)

Any ideas anyone?
Re: Damsel in Distress - bill
is that the brake light? If so it will go on and off as you pull on the handrake and then release it.This is normal. If it comes on when you are driving, it could be telling you that you are low on brake fluid or the pads are worn down.
Re: Damsel in Distress - Gayle
OK, if it is the brake fluid, where about under the bonnet do I find the brake fluid container? The reason I ask is that I checked the car at the weekend, filled up with oil etc and topped up the water. I am a little worried that maybe I didn't top up with water but put water in the brake fluid? How dangerous is it? Can I wait a day or two before taking it in to the garage?
Re: Damsel in Distress - John S
Gayle

If you've put water in the brake fluid it needs sorting now!

1 You need to read the car's handbook - that will show you where the key items are. If you don't have one, then they will be available via the dealer. This will also advise on correct fluids for topping up. It is amazing how many owners don't think they need the handbook, but they answer most questions.

2 If you are not sure what you are doing, check with someone who does understand, and don't take chances.

3 While you are at the dealer, ask them what the warning light is!

Regards

John

John
Re: Damsel in Distress - Dave
Sounds like your rear window heater is on! Or fog light?
No, its not those lights either, it could be the brake fluid.
Re: Damsel in Distress - Cliff Pope
Why not phone up a Peugeot agent first and establish exactly what the light is?
Then you can start taking appropriate action to investigate.
Re: Damsel in Distress - Martin
Is it the warning for the coolant level? Does your radiator need
topping up? If it does then you're probably losing water somewhere.
If you haven't got an obvious water leak from one of the hoses
it could be head gasket problems.
Re: Damsel in Distress - David W
Gayle,

You've done well...nearly three months ownership of the bargain car without having to report a fault.

Is it petrol or diesel? When does this light come on? All the time. flickering, just when you brake??

A red lamp is usually a warning to stop using the car and investigate.

Were you being serious about the possibility that you had topped up the brake fluid with water? That would be a problem and needs sorting!

David
Thanks! The cars petrol, the light comes on when I am driving but it is not on all the time. And if teh brake fluid is kept in a clear plastic container next to the water for the windscreen then yes, I've topped it up with water.

I am listening to all the advice given and will go to the garage at lunch time. I'll let you know the outcome!!!
Re: Damsel in Distress - David W
Gayle,

Yes the brake fluid is in the container with the screw-on cap next to the screenwash which has a flip-off cap.

Both are clear-ish plastic containers and the brake fluid one is much much smaller.

David
Re: Damsel in Distress - Dave
WOMEN!!!

KNOW YOUR LIMITS!

;-)
OK. OK, I guess you guys have some use after all!!!
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - jack
I seem to remember that Gayle works for the international firm of Professional Consultant Engineers.

Just ask any one of those Engineers nicely, and they will all want to rush out to help you sort out this problem.

Remember to say to them "Aren't you Engineers just wonderful? What would the world be like without Engineers!"
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - Gayle
Good thinking batman, I'll call a few of them now.
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - David W
Gayle,

SWMBO works surrounded by Engineers. When she had a flat tyre in the car park one afternoon she truly found out "How many Engineers does it take to change a wheel?".

One to read the handbook, one to try and find where on earth the spare wheel was located, another to get the spare wheel out, one to go and get his car jack because none of them could work out how the Citroen one worked, two to look on and encourage the others....you get the picture!

If you have about 6 available at lunchtime you should get it cracked.

David
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - John S
David

Typical Project Team

Project Manager - reads the book

Couple of Site Engineers - One finds the spare, the other finds the jacking point.

Site Manager - deals with the Citroen quirks

H & S - the onlookers

Client SWMBO

Simple really!

Regards

John

Joke on similar topic:

How many Car Dealer dealers does it take to change a light bulb

None, it's not covered by the guarantee, Sir.
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - Alan Clark
Now...there are engineers and there are engineers...in the Royal Air Force (and probably elsewhere) to be an engineer, you ideally will have a degree. Knowledge of spanners, thread direction, overalls and the like is NOT necessary. Those of us who 'spanner' (or have in the past and managed to get away from the drip trays) are merely engineering technicians. So if you want a simple task doing quickly, you know who to call on!!!
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - Brian
W S Atkins are preparing at least one of the transport reports for the government:-
You know the type: you are given the conclusions and are sent out to find the "facts" to support them!
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - Brill
Gayle,

Get it sorted, I won't be happy stuck behind you in the one way system outside the Playhouse. :o)

Stu.
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - terryb
Do we have a group here from a Surrey horseracing town twinned with Chantilly?
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - Brill
Terry,

Epsonians United?

Stu.
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - terryb
Stu
Looking that way! I was born 2 stations up the line to Waterloo and now live one station down the line.

Isn't WS Atkins' building in Ashley Road the one they built back to front because they had the plans the wrong way round? I wouldn't trust them with a wheel brace, let alone a brake fluid reservoir!

Terry
Re: Atkins - consultant Engineeers? - Tim Allcott
Gayle, it sounds like the coolant level warning light (I've got one in my Citroen, and the two companies are closely related) Certainly the light in my citroen sounds just like what you have described. If it is, and the light comes on AND STAYS ON you need to stop, or you will 'cook' the engine, and cause serious damage : maybe David W. will know in relation to this particular model (David, did Peugot economise like Citroen by not fitting temp guages?)
Re: Damsel in Distress - Chris
That light is the coolant light, check that there is not air is in teh radiotor and check the flid level