Buying an Astra van - GregSwain
Well, I'm taking the plunge, going into business, and need a small van. Out of the lot, the Astra looks like the best to suit my needs, plus it tends to be fairly long-lived. Anything mechanical to look out for with this model (around 03 reg)? Which is better, the 1.7 DTi or CDTi engines, or even the 2.0Di? All comments gratefully received, as I know absolutely nothing about Vauxhall diesels!
Buying an Astra van - kingfisher
I use a 03 1.7tdi astravan for fishing..51000 trouble free miles, fast enough and very economical 50-55mpg...Servicing every 20000 miles cambelt replacement 100000 or ten years. highly recommended.
Buying an Astra van - Vansboy
You're looking at one of the worst value for £$£$ vans you'll buy, as a used example!! Do you REALLY need a van, 'cos if you check prices of similar year Astra estates, you'll find you really pay over the top, for not having windows, in the back!!

Not sure if you have accounted for the extra 17.5% VaT extra on a van, if you buy from a proper source. Do have it in mind anyone selling WITHOUT charging VaT, at this price range, might cause you to ask a few more questions about them & the vehicle!

& if you are able to reclaim the Vat, think of an estate, which is sold as VaT Qualifying, as the 17.5% will be included in the price, not added on after. So lots n lots cheaper!!

You also need to check the owners names V5, as the original purchaser might well have been a daily rental company. Different opinions here, but sometimes if it went on a longer term contract, the oil level might just not have been checked as often as it should - you'll pick up the bill for this neglect, later!!

VB
I'll be VAT-registered so not too bothered about forking out the extra 17.5% because i'll get it back. Accountant explained the pros and cons of using my own car, and it'd be much more tax-friendly to have a small van instead (can't remember the last time i had more than 1 passenger in my own car anyway!). Done a bit more searching online, and found that you're right Vansboy - Astra vans are ludicrously expensive given their condition and mileage. (Who'd pay 3 grand for any vehicle with 160k on the clock and a rip in the driver's seat!!!)

A Corsa van would probably do the job (would only use it to go to cash & carry, as well as the commute to work every day). The normally-aspirated diesel unit in the Corsavan looks quite tempting - only a second slower than my Almera, plus non-turbo diesels tend to last longer (not under so much strain?!). Would be looking to keep it for a number of years, and would ignore the ridiculously long 2-year service intervals too - it'd get done every year. I've noticed Corsa vans are also expensive, but seem to be in much better condition with much lower mileage for the price.
Buying an Astra van - MokkaMan
The tax advantages do not just stop at the VAT. You will get capital allowances on the van, which you will be able to relieve against profits @ £20%/40% depending how profitable you are. The capital allowances can also be carried forward if you are not initially profitable. You can charge all expenses VED/diesel/servicing/repairs/valeting, etc against profit. Also by having the solid sides, you can post your own signage on the side (this will cost circa £100) and promote your own business (we did this and found out recently that to advertise on the side of a local cab would cost £1,000 + per year - again a good saving ).

The only downside we have found is that there are some odd occassions when you have to pay for things e.g. council dump (it is commercial wastage not domestic) and car ferries, but apart from that no problem

Go for it
Buying an Astra van - bell boy
good posts and a berlingo van will be ideal
good posts and a berlingo van will be ideal

Not sure about a Berlingo - they don't seem to wear very well, although the 1.9 XUD engine is a major temptation. Was thinking along the lines of Astra/Corsa/Punto, or even 206, because they're basically cars without windows or back seats. I realise the Berlingo Multispace is a car, but it's very...... van-ish!
Buying an Astra van - oilrag
Hi Greg, I`m using a Punto van with the 1.3 multijet, mainly chosen due to its cambelt free design and galvanising. Its getting up to 78.9 MPG at less than 60mph and you cant get less than 60mpg at high speed and city, mixed.

The cambelt issue is a consideration (not yet owned a car with a cambelt), although I'm aware the GM 1.7 unit has long intervals as someone's pointed out. Not sure what the old Fiat 1.9 cambelt change interval is, but I'd get a new belt on any van just to be sure it'd been done.

Those are amazing MPG figures too - the Corsa van should do high 50s, but I'm impressed with the Punto figures - and it's not a slow van with that engine either. Had been looking at 02-03 reg (£3k budget), which hadn't included the multijet unit in either Vauxhall or Fiat. Maybe time to reconsider budget or buy on HP?!
Buying an Astra van - oilrag
Yes, I really recommend the 1.3 Multijet, whichever marque you choose.

Its an easy to service engine too, only oils and filters for 150,000 miles. You can change the oil filter standing in front of the car.
I think the 70BHP version is best in the Punto MK2B/Corsa vans. The power to weight ratio feels good and turbo lag minimal.
Buying an Astra van - kingfisher
Go drive an Astravan!!
Well, I'm still undecided - even looking into the possibility of LPG, because I do like a nice quiet petrol engine (2 local petrol stations sell LPG, so supply isn't an issue). I imagine the 1.6 litre dualfuel Astravan would have more than enough power without the clatter (it will replace my nice quiet Almera!). Seem to be plenty of ex-council dualfuels about with low miles - any inherent problems with the LPG system used by Vauxhall?