Evidence of care towards future owners? - oilrag
Topic,
" Ever seen evidence of care towards the next owner when looking at or buying a used car"

Lets qualify that,
I mean direct evidence of care beyond the normal servicing, that *could only be aimed at future owners.*

Examples of the opposite.
1) The guy who beats the daylights out of it as its going in for PX next week.

2) For a while i`ve been unable to grasp why someone ( other forums) would buy a new common rail diesel and then try to run it on cooking oil, with varying degrees of processing.
Then I understood it, the lowest common denominator at work. Young guys, usually still teenagers with a popular `in` car wanting the prestige of new, car bought by parents, or flush with money due to no commitments.
No regard, other than saving money *now*.
For the next 10 or 15 years the car goes on through buyers often financially stretched and likely someone picks up a big bill due to the first owners lack of care about future owners.

3) 18 months ago I looked at used cars for the first time ( before buying new again) There were engines with badly `salted` aluminium. Injector pipes on the engine badly rusted, that had only needed a squirt of WD 40 now and then to look pristine. Rusty brake pipes that had only needed a wipe of grease.
Subframes scabbed with corrosion on cars only a few years old.... why not hose underneath?

So, the opposite,
Any examples of care for future owners, that you may have come across, that went beyond being of benefit to the previous owner?

Regards

Evidence of care towards future owners? - mike hannon
Having a little-used car serviced on a time schedule rather than mileage, including things like belts and fluid changes? Some people do...
I should have said, " looking at used cars, for the first time, *in a long time*"
Evidence of care towards future owners? - yorkiebar
A good indication of a well cared for car is the lubriacation (or more likely lack of it) on the brake compensating valve!
Evidence of care towards future owners? - Ian (Cape Town)
Went tyre kicking with a friend a while back, looking at a 6-7 year old Mazda.
The seller was a very nice chap - had a file of all the servicing, battery and tyre and exhaust replacement etc. Also CVs, brakes replaced, alignment record (every 10 000kms)
Also, showed us where there had been minor dings, and what had been fixed.
Car was immaculate.
The best bit - Haynes manual in the boot, along with the original local CAR magazine which had the reviewing article of that model of mazda!

Evidence of care towards future owners? - Aretas
When I sold my BMW 2002 TII it went with the Motor "Golden Oldie" road test of the ACTUAL car!
Evidence of care towards future owners? - Steptoe
I occasionally put a drop of oil on bleed nipples, and slacken & tighten them: this is a legacy of the days when it was still ok and cheaper to fit seal kits rather than the entire cylinder or caliper; still helpful if a hose needs to replaced

This has never been done on cars that I have bought though :-(
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Evidence of care towards future owners? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Injector pipes ...... that had only needed a squirt of WD 40 now ...brake pipes that had only needed a wipe of grease.Subframes scabbed with corrosion on cars only a few years old.... why not hose underneath?

Well- lack of access is the simple answer.
Only seen underneath my Passat once , when it was on the hoist at ATS.
Just too low to see anything or get underneath with a hose.

Evidence of care towards future owners? - Waino
Only seen underneath my Passat once when it was on the hoist at ATS.>>

I fret about anything I own with an engine - cars, motorbikes, my lawnmower -but, if I could see underneath my old Mondy, I don't think I'd sleep at night.
Evidence of care towards future owners? - Roly93
I'm a firm believer in immaculateness of cars, however car dealers dont promote this view. ie if you take your car in and remind them it is immaculate, they just shrug their shoulders and imply so-what we won't give you any more for it. But if your car is a pile of %^&* they soon hammer the hell out of you on price !
Part exchanging a car once, I showed the salesman the engine.
Its cleanliness, sparkling like new, seemed to really worry him.
Evidence of care towards future owners? - Altea Ego
I'm a firm believer in immaculateness of cars however car dealers dont promote this view.

Dont tell me that car dealers make money by buying cheap and selling dear!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Evidence of care towards future owners? - madf
Most of the above imo is a classic case of .... retentiveness..

Cars run no better when immaculate versus maintained properly.

Some of you should get a life.. imo. Try stamp collecting: it will be more exciting:-))
madf
Topic is about the human condition though not the car :):)

For example, Any evidence of an altruistic owner doing things to their car to benefit future owners and *not themselves?*

The end result only being of interest (from this topics perspective) in providing evidence of the intent.

Regards

Evidence of care towards future owners? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Its cleanliness, sparkling like new, seemed to really worry him.

Me too! Major oil leak then desperate steam cleaning springs to mind. An unmolested engine is much more reassuring. Unless you are entering a concours event with chrome plated filler caps and jubilee clips etc.
There's probably a difference in attitude - and intent - between people who buy their own cars and care for them, hoping others will do the same, and those insulated from reality by company schemes, subsidised lease plans, etc.
I don't understand why, to some people, taking trouble over anything seems to be regarded as '**** retentive'.
Evidence of care towards future owners? - Number_Cruncher
>>taking trouble over anything seems to be regarded as '**** retentive

it's interesting that you say any **thing**

No matter how much you polish your car, it's never going to smile at you, or tell you a joke. It's a particularly bloke type thing to become more concerned about machines than people. How many men alienate their wives by being precious about how their pride and joy is driven or parked or somesuch nonsense? - it's just a hunk of tin! Sad, in all senses of the word, and definitely retentive.

Number_Cruncher
Well, when I look at my car it makes me feel good, so that's as near to smiling at me as I need.
And nobody will ever look at it and think 'I wonder if he's a slob at home, too'.
Evidence of care towards future owners? - Ian (Cape Town)
Because of our economic position (as well as lack of salt on the roads!) cars have a longer life here.
So looking after the vehicle and getting something worthwhile for it when you trade in makes sense.
My car, for example, is a 95 Astra, with 170 000 kms on the clock. And it is paid for.
Nothing wrong with it - so why bother upgrading for something else at this stage?
Because I know it will be a down-payment on my next car, I keep it in good order - it is not as if it will end up on a scrapyard when i get rid of it.
Evidence of care towards future owners? - Altea Ego
(as well as lack of salt on the roads!)

Botswana, you need to go to Botswana - loads of salt there for you.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Evidence of care towards future owners? - pendulum
I service my cars myself (all fluids/oil/filters, etc) and only take the car in to the garage for repairs I can't do myself. I keep a detailed record of exactly what I did to the car (e.g. coolant change) and at what date/mileage. I write it with a view to it being read by the next owner, because I wish the previous owner had done the same for me so I would know the car's exact history. It is not an altruistic act though because the record benefits me too.

On my old car I gave it an oil change just before I sold it "just in case it goes a while before the new owners change it". But that was probably because I was quite attached to the car and always wanted to look after it!

I do what I can to the car to preserve its life span, this is both for my benefit and the next owners.
Evidence of care towards future owners? - madf
I maintain 4 cars (swmbo,me, 2 sons)... and they are maintained mechanically to A1 condition. I clean swmbo's and mine.
BUT I only polish once a year, only clean under the bonnet if the dirt gets excessive around the various fluid orifices..

So the cars both externally and under bonnet look average.

Does it make them less reliable or pleasant to drive? No.
I've had old and vintage cars and lovingly polished etc because they were used rarely and the "ooh aaah" factor.

But do everyday using cars repay the effort? Welll yes... if you talk to your car...and if you are David Hasselhof.

I remember a Morris Minor 1000 owner (in the late 1960s:-) who regualrly polished everything under the bonnet - he bought the car from new. It shone. and shone.
the big ends went at 38k miles.

Waste of time and space...
madf