Car price guides. - mal
I am in the middle of deciding on a change of car, and have found one to look at in a private sale, he is asking £12750. After looking at the latest parkers guide and taking into consideration it has done 26000 miles in 11 months the guide figure comes out at £11430, the car has a few expensive extras such as a makers detachable tow bar, optional rear spoiler and optional rear bass speaker.
The car looks in good nick apart from 2 small marks at the rear which he is going to send pics of tonight.
I have spoke over the phone and he has said he would come down to £12500 maybe a little more, do you think there is too large a gap for hm to come down that much.
If I decide to look at it I will be making a journey of 400 miles in total, should I negotiate more on the phone or just try and get him down by "flashing the cash" when I see it. I am a complete novice at spending so much, always bought from dealers.
Should I stick to the guide price and not budge from that, this is the only one that matches my search but will not let him know that.
Car price guides. - yorkiebar
If I was selling car and knew you were from a distance I wouldnt budge on price over phone.

He may have had 3 or 4 people try to negotiate price without appearing etc..

Appear in person and negotiate with money and presence, is always more fruitful. If he knows you are serious and about to go away he is more likely to negotiate seriously, because it wouldbe unlikely to travel twice etc.

But best advice is ALWAYS look at more than 1 car so you can compare them. Dont just buy from an advert, however honest and good the deal seems.
Car price guides. - Keith S
I would suggest looking at Glasses prices rather than Parkers. But thats only my opinion.

What is the car? Someone might be able to help.
Car price guides. - islandman
If your a novice mal then perhaps best to stick with a reputable dealer. Even if you buy privately 400 mile trip seems along way to find a car that fits your needs --- unless it's an unusual one.
Car price guides. - Ruperts Trooper
Expensive extras are worth nothing and some may actually reduce the value of the car although attractive extras do make a car easier to sell.

Old school, I know, but the only option that makes any difference is automatic transmission.

When I ordered my new car I paid quite a lot extra for the Leather pack, Technical pack, Winter pack, sunroof and automatic - when it's sold at 10 years old I'll only expect £100 (for the auto) above a standard car but I've already had the value out of the extras.
Car price guides. - bell boy
i love long distance buyers
i always pick them up at the train station
never ever taken any back there
shown a few the bus stop mind and once kicked one man out a mile from work for mounting the kerb twice he had his warning then was kicked out,he thought i was kidding.
As said if you are travelling that distance you wont be in a negotiating position
you cant really bid on the phone either
find comparable model nearer home is the best advise
obviously you dont need reminding about hpi, inspections,and the fact that an aweful lot of flood damaged cars are coming to an auction near you soon non categorised with the x mark

its bard on the streets give him 2 p or not 2 p
Car price guides. - Stuartli
I'd forget it.

Like buses, there's always another one along in a few minutes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car price guides. - Stuartli
PS

Your rights are very much restricted in a private sale.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car price guides. - Chris White
To get the car that I want I always find I travel some distance (will go up to 100 or so miles). This puts you ad a real disadvantage being the buyer because the seller knows you're serious about the car and you're not going home without it (unless it really isn't as described).

But it does put you in a good position the other way round. Sold an H plate Saab 900 Turbo to a guy from Scotland (I'm in Eastbourne). He flew down to Gatwick and took train to Eastbourne.

I didn't budge on price, I knew he wasn't planning on going back by train and plane.

Chris
Car price guides. - Altea Ego
Leather, Auto and climate/aircon are the only extras that command any premium come second hand time.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Car price guides. - Sprice
Leather Auto and climate/aircon are the only extras that command any premium come second hand time.

Possibly satnav too. So what car is it OP as maybe some kind backroomer would consult their 'bible' on your behalf and give you a realistic guide price!
Car price guides. - daveyjp
One question I would ask is how many of those 26,000 miles have involved the use of the expensive tow bar?
Car price guides. - johncyprus
What on earth can be so special about this particular car that would make you travel such a distance especially as its over a £1,000 over guide price? I've bought many cars some at a great distance from home and , as others have said, when the buyer knows you have come a great distance he has the advantage, you will defininitely be on " his " territory. What ever you do take someone sensible with you. Your post worries me:- £12,000 private sale and you're a novice! "Lambs to the slaughter " comes to mind.
Car price guides. - mal
>>"What on earth can be so special about this particular car that would make you travel such a distance especially as its over a £1,000 over guide price? I've bought many cars some at a great distance from home and , as others have said, when the buyer knows you have come a great distance he has the advantage, you will defininitely be on " his " territory. What ever you do take someone sensible with you. Your post worries me:- £12,000 private sale and you're a novice! "Lambs to the slaughter " comes to mind."<<

Ok, let me explain, the car in question, was a Mazda 6 TS2 diesel estate of which there are not many around and certainly none in my area. "Why that car" because as I have mentioned in an earlier thread I can not live without glass above my head and as such narrows my choice by a great deal considering how many manufactures have dropped the sunroof in favour of aircon / climate control.

The distance does not bother me and I would certainly have walked away if he had not closed the negotiations nearer to the book price.

The fitted detachable would have saved me a few pounds as I would have had one fitted anyway as that is what I have on my present car. Having said that I realise tow bars are not to every ones liking and this would not have influenced me to raise my price as I would have indicated to the seller that the fitted bar concerned me.

In my posting I was merely asking advice from other peoples experiences as to whether the seller would be prepared to drop nearer to the book price as I was unfamiliar with private buying of cars. I have received advice and thank you all for that.

Johncyprus, thanks for your well intentioned advice but I am no fool and do not need to take "someone sensible" with me. When it comes to buying cars I have come away happy in the past buying from dealers after holding out for the maximum on my trade in. I have walked away from a deal a few times before in the past and would have done so in this case had he not come down to my value of the car, as I say I have never bought private before on such a scale.

That said I have now dropped the idea of changing my car for the time being, instead deciding to spend the money on the house and I am keeping my "mint" Civic Aerodeck for the time being.

Now you all must agree THAT is "sensible"

Mal