Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel. - chrise17
My diesel corsa states an engine oil spec of GM-LL-025 A3/B3/B4,am using GM-LL-025 A3/B3/B4 spec from a vauxhall dealer.
Its specs are suitable for petrol and/or diesel engines,the majority or all other oils state much the same spec & are suitable for petrol and/or diesel engines so why are there oils stating these specs but also state in bold big lettering Diesel oil?
If these modern oils cater for both engine designs and oil manufacturers develop modern oils with a spec capable of protecting all engines why state diesel on the bottle with this GM-LL-025 A3/B3/B4 specification,it will be suitable for either engine.

{Subject line changed to clarify question...PU}
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - oilrag
Its advertising...( given the specs are identical) To give customer confidence in the product and to maximise sales of the same oil.
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - Vansboy
Because the diesel spec lubricant, will have additional detergents & cleaning properties, which the petrol won't need, or have.

VB
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - John S
Strictly, the spec for your car is GM-LL-025 - B, and the GM oil meets both this and the petrol 'A' spec. This also meets A3/B3/B4 etc. Most modern oils are suitable for both petrol and diesel, but it's possible you've seen a 'diesel' oil which does not meet the 'A' petrol spec.

JS
Check out Mobil 1 0W40 in Halfords, the specs of the Diesel and Petrol labelled oils are identical. I rang a big supplier once and was told the labelling was for " customer confidence"

I`m refering to `identical spec` but different package labelling here, not the Diesel specific *different spec* oils.
Which is what the OP is refering to.

Regards
Sorry, my above post is not clear, I mean the OP is refering to *identical spec* but different labelling.
Sorry about that :)
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - Hamsafar
Lots of things are the same product, but branded differently to appeal to different segments of the market. The same is true with oils, the same oil will be marketed to garages and fleets on price, the same oil to technically minded people of specs, same oil to technophobes on pretty packaging, handy spout and meaningless marketing spiel.
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - martint123
As Ashok says - branding. Like washing powder - if you package almost the same stuff in 20 different boxes/drums then you will sell a larger percentage of "stuff" than if you only had one "do everything" brand.
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - quizman
On tractors you can get one oil which does the engine, gearbox, hydraulics and the axles.

My Passat needs 507.0 oil, my Focus needs A1B1 5W/30, my Landrover needs 10W/40, my son's MB needs Mobil 1, Vauxhalls need something else.

Isn't it time the oil companies developed an oil which would cover most cars?
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - Bill Payer
Isn't it time the oil companies developed an oil which would cover most cars?

Are we seriously expected to believe that these oils are actually any different from each other?

I understand that the VW approved oils have a chemical marker in them so VW engineers can detect which oil you've used. I've never heard of anyone else doing this, but (if it's true) then I guess you really need to use the pukka VW stuff at least during warranty.

Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - Ruperts Trooper
Isn't it time the oil companies developed an oil which would cover most cars? >>

Why, what would be the benefit?

As engineering tolerances change, generally reducing, the lubrication requirements change but manufacturers make significant improvements at very different times.

If "all oils are the same" then their producers would get approval from all manufacturers, but clearly they don't.
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - Hamsafar
You would think there would be two types of wine by now, red and white.
Why not just sell the most delicious of each?
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - yorkiebar
Most dealers and large independents probably only use 1 or 2 different oils for all their vehicles as do a lot of fleet workshops.

Probably 10/40 semi and 5/30 or 5/40 semi, which will probably cover 90% of vehicles. Anything "special" needed will likely just be ordered in (or not used depending on quality of workshop).

Personally I stock about 7 types, as do others I know but it is expensive and difficult to store.

2 opinions on oils. 1 says its all pretty similar and is ok. 1 says every engine and user is different and needs to be chosen individually. I am in the 2nd camp, but I would estimate 75% of dealers (maybe more) are in the 1st camp. They probably stock the oil recommended for their marque and use it on any other vehicle that gets serviced there.

But there is a lot of misleading packaging and labelling, and exactly the same oil is packaged in 2 or 3 different ways for different customer types. This is fact not opinion, as have seen and discussed at a major oil companies training day!

Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - quizman
>>>Why, what would be the benefit?

The benefit would be that the correct oil goes in whatever garage does the service. As has been said, many garages use the stuff in the barrel in the corner.

As for the red and white wine, in general the more you pay for a wine the better tasting it is. So the expensive oils must be the best. So it will be 4 litres of Castrol St Georges, or some Fuchs Fleurie for moi s'il vous plait.
Bill

There are differences between oils, specifically in regard to the ACEA and API specifications. As I've mentioned VX specifically state not to use A1/B1 oils, whereas Ford specifically recommend them. The thing to remember about manufacturer specific approval is that until the oil has been tested to the spec you don't know. Most modern quality oils will *probably* meet most makers specs, unless there's something special about the engine (VW PD fpr example), but approval depends upon the testing.

JS
but approval depends upon the testing.

Quite.

So in my view (and I know little to nothing about oil, but the same type of testing / approval happens in my industry) there's little (if any) practical difference between the products of various manufacturers, and the approval issue is all about branding, co-marketing etc.

I remember someone quoting a Halfords employee saying "oil is oil, innit?", but I reckon that, given it's a recognised brand, it's the same type (ie fully synth etc) and it's the right viscosity (it's rare that that is critical in the UK) then actually he's probably right - oil is oil.
Bill

Er, no that's not quite what I said. Oil isn't just oil. The service rating (API, ACEA) and the manufacturers approval are important. Provided that just an ACEA or API spec are all the maker requires, than any branded oil that meets them will do the job. You can't assume that a non-approved oil will do the job if the car makers have a particular requirement, and a particular manufacturers spec.

JS
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - Ruperts Trooper
If oil is oil .... I've got some old Duckhams 20-50, I think it's API-SF, it's not ACEA rated (probably too old)... I'll use that instead of the 5W-30 ACEA-A3 API-SL that's now recommended for Vauxhalls not on extended intervals ... I don't think so.
Confusing oil specs for Corsa Diesel - Number_Cruncher
Premature lubrication failure of modern engines is rare. Picking the right oil for each engine in most cases isn't critical - if it were, lots of engines would be failing at low mileages. I'm firmly in Yorkiebar's 1) category - as long as decent oil gets put in, and more importantly changed often enough, then it doesn't really matter *exactly* what that oil is. There are odd exceptions, like VW PD engines, and there are special oils for long life servicing.

I wouldn't use the Duckhams more through fear of age related degradation of the additives rather than the absolute spec - although it probably is a bit thick, at 50 weight for best efficiency.

You are all getting wound up over nothing. (for a change!)

Number_Cruncher
If oil is oil .... I

You didn't actually read my post did you?