Insurance cover abroad Direct line - injection doc
Today just before going on a long tour of the continent I thought I would ring Directline to make sure I was covered & ask if I still needed a green card! to my shock I had to extend my cover ! £ 35 cost was no problem but I may of not been covered otherwise! how many others check this with their policy??? I had been with Norwich union for 20 years & included was cover for Europe & no extra charge for green card.
How many people think they are automatically covered?
insurance cover abroad Direct line - Stuartli
You presumably haven't read your policy document properly. This states:

Foreign use
1 Territorial limits and using your car abroad
a This policy provides the cover described in your schedule
in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland,
the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and during journeys
between these places.
b It also provides the minimum cover you need by law to
use your car in:
? any country which is a member of the European Union; and
? any country which the Commission of the European Community
approves as meeting the requirements of Article 7(2) of the
European Community Directive on Insurance of Civil Liabilities
arising from using motor vehicles (number 72/166/CEE).

2 Policy cover abroad
In return for any extra premium we may charge, we will extend your
policy and give you the same level of cover as you have in section G1a
for the agreed period. Your car will also be covered during journeys
between those countries by a recognised carrier.

3 Customs duty
If you have to pay customs duty on your car in any of the countries
covered in section G1b because of repairs covered under the policy,
we will pay these costs for you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
insurance cover abroad Direct line - ukbeefy
Does any insurance company these days offer a full European territorial cover as standard ie in Stuartli's list the 1a) equivalent cover Europewide and therefore no need for a green card?

I remember when I used to work in insurance in the early 90s that fleet policies were written with full European cover as standard but personal policies still required amendments to extend to full European cover. Even then we had problems with customers wanting to cover cars that were abroad for long periods of time or even kept at a foreign address etc. Nowadays with everyone taking to living/working in all sorts of places the issues must have got worse.

My understanding back then was it was much more common for continental insurers eg in Netherlands or France to offer full European cover as standard with any personal motor policy.
I've had car insurance for many years and, for the majority of them, obtaining a green card was free or required a modest additional payment (usually much less than taking out a separate policy for driving abroad for holidays etc).

However, the ever increasing demand for insurance at lower and lower prices, coupled with the fact that losses are often the norm for this type of insurance, has probably ensured that the insurance companies have sought to reduce potential liabilities as much as possible.

I'm also with DirectLine and last year's charge of £176 has gone up by a modest £6 if renewed.

An Internet search using a comparison website revealed I could obtain cover for £145 with Zurich (with a £250 rather than £150 excess) and also receive an M and S £50 voucher...:-)

Trying Zurich on my own for the same cover came up with a figure of £154 - and no vouchers.

insurance cover abroad Direct line - mazdaboy
I posted a thread on this a while ago, and this is one of the main reasons why me and Direct Line will be parting company. They'll not extend comprehensive cover for overseas trips without relieving you of hard earned cash, which effectively bumps up your premium if you do a couple a year.

It's all in the small print! Bit sneaky if you make assumptions.
>>It's all in the small print! >>

No, it's in a properly presented policy document and one which should be read by every DirectLine - or indeed any other insurance company's - policy holder.

Ignorance of the law or insurance provision is no defence if Mr Plod knocks on the window...:-)
insurance cover abroad Direct line - injection doc
Stuarlti, Yep I know its in the small print but how many people read it! I'm not slagging of directline In fact they have been very helpfull at all tmes & two friends who had biggish claims had no drama at all & thats what moved me to Direct line, But I agree with ukbeefy for the last 20 years its been included in my normal cover. I don't have a problem with paying an extra premium but if I hadn't made the effort to pick up the phone & check who know's what could of happened! With holiday time comming up I wondered how many people may go abroad asuming they have full cover.
Regards
>>Yep I know its in the small print>>

I didn't actually make that comment about "small print"...:-)

I merely pointed out that the information is clearly presented in the policy document, an important guide to what is or isn't included in your insurance cover.
insurance cover abroad Direct line - martint123
The last four policy documents I have read in the last few weeks when my renewal came up were all the same in this regard - free third party legal minimum cover - fully comp with an extra payment. It looks like this may be the norm?
insurance cover abroad Direct line - jc2
I have one car insured with Directline but the car I use for the continent is with Saga-more expensive on basic premium but they offer comprehensive cover within the EU for the whole year-not just 90 days as some do or zero unless you pay extra with others.
insurance cover abroad Direct line - mrmender
I too have had this with direct line. Norwich union i was covered BUT Direct line is ok for republic of Ireland without extra charge. As it happens thats where i'm going on hols this year
insurance cover abroad Direct line - Roly93
I regularly drive on the continent and use Direct Line. The usually give me a Green Card FOC if its only for a couple of days, but when I go on hols for a fortnight they charge. I think this is quite normal, but there are some insurance companies that offer a free green card. However they almost always get the money back in another way.
insurance cover abroad Direct line - martint123
The green card is only evidence of cover - it doesn't give fully comp cover abroad.

www.mib.org.uk/GreenCard/en/FAQ/WhatIsTheGreenCard...m
insurance cover abroad Direct line - Bromptonaut
Full cover abroad for a reasonable part of the term is one of my tests for an acceptable motor insurance policy.

Aside from main holiday the chunnel and cheap ferries mean that France is within day travel radius for a third of the UK population. I don't mind paying a small supplement (or foregoing a discount) to extend my comp cover to the near EU, but I'm blowed if I'm paying by the trip, or faffing about notifying the insurer every time a day trip takes my fancy.

Elephant, GAN, Liverpool Vic and Highway all meet that need.

How does this work if you live in France or Belgium?
insurance cover abroad Direct line - Bilboman
I imagine the same as Spain; ever since I first got a Spanish registered car (1991), my car insurance policy has always included full EU cover (and even as far as Morocco and Russia) - and roadside assistance (basic tow to nearest garage) thrown in, too. Interestingly, insurance policies here cover the car rather than the driver (named or not), though I imagine someone stealing my car and driving it to Vladivostock would not necessarily be covered!
insurance cover abroad Direct line - Neiltoo
Interesting.

Do you mind saying how much you pay for that.

Neil
A brief return to this subject.

I've been doing the rounds of looking for car insurance quotes for the next year (DirectLine has quoted just over £180, a fiver up on last year), and one quote from Ibuyeco for £146 with Zurich includes "Comprehensive cover for trips up to 60 days within the EU".

insurance cover abroad Direct line - Mapmaker
Direct Line now charge £10 admin fee if you change address or change your car. They have always said that they reserve the right to make such charges, but in the last couple of years they have taken to doing so every time.
insurance cover abroad Direct line - normd2
they certainly didn't charge me when I changed both cars last year. Phoned up outside the vendor's house and the insurance was swapped on the spot by simply quoting the reg no's and confirming no mods.
Also when I ask for insurance quotes I specifically ask if European cover is included and ask for a re-quote without it as I do not intend taking my cars abroad. Call this an advert if you like but no-one has come near Direct Line's renewal price for me for the last 10 years, not even the dog that 'guarantees' to beat every quote.
insurance cover abroad Direct line - Dulwich Estate
I blow hot and cold about Direct Line. Some years I renew with them and some I don't. They seem consistently the cheapest for my basic UK needs but always charge around £20 - £25 to extend my cover to fully comp. for a week or 10 days when I go to France, which I do quite often. For me it's a balance between a higher basic cost with 90 days European cover included or DL and pay as you go to Europe.

This year, my best quote is from Marks and Spencer (Fortis) who do 90 days in Europe together with UK and Euro breakdown cover all in the price. If I go to France 4 times or more next year (I will) then this is cheaper than DL.
insurance cover abroad Direct line - horatio
I always assume I am covered without the need for a green card. And I am always correct, no matter which insurer I am with that particular year.

Answer: Because I am always TPO or TPF&T therefore TPO insurance is always going to be given to me when I am in EEC. And I'm not worried about theft either, because it aint going to happen where I take the car in France.

One year I was TPO and asked my insurer and they wanted something like £10 (long time ago) for a green card. I considered paying the fee, then phoned them back later to tell them they had got it wrong, I did not need to pay them £10 because I was TPO anyway. The woman (same woman) reluctantly agreed she was wrong.
insurance cover abroad Direct line - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
As usual I am going on a motoring holiday to France.
My insurance company MMA say that I have full insurance for up to 45 days at a stretch in Europe. No further documentation, green card etc., can be provided or is necessary.
I have to show the policy booklet, in English only, to prove my insurance is valid.
Not satisfactory, in my opinion, especially as the actual certificate only refers to UK and Channel Islands etc.
Are any other companies like this?

Do you know what is included in your third-party insurance?At one time it only covered third party personal.IE.If you hit someone,your insurance covered damages to them but not to their property-I believe it was changed in the UK but don't know about the rest of the world.
My SAGA certificate has statements in the major Eurpean languages stating that I am insured.
insurance cover abroad Direct line - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I said that is what I would expect.
But the reply was something like "I've had 4 years in the insurance business and I've never heard of that"
The customer is not always right.
A policy booklet will have no dates and is unlikely to have your name or registration number plus all the EU countries' laws require you to carry proof of insurance-you can't even leave it at home as you can in the UK.