Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - simonc1978
I've had my Golf for about 18 months (Y reg, 2001, MkIV, 73,000 on the clock, 1.6 SE 16v). It's got full service history but it's been a real Friday car.

In the time I've had it, it's had whole new exhaust system, new oil pressure switch, new rear washer pump, new boot catch, 4 tyres (Goodyears), new brake pads and it's still got some minor stuff that needs sorting - slight play in MacPherson struts, new clutch master cylinder required. I'm basically waiting for the next breakdown.

I bought it for £5500 in Jan 06 and it's probably worth £3500 to £4000 now.

Typical driving is 16 miles a day (commuting), short trips into town and the occasional long motorway journey. I typically get around 38mpg on my commute. I rarely cart much stuff about so space isn't an issue.

So, question is, should I trade it in for a Jazz? I'd be looking at nothing more than 3 years old and I'd want a 1.4.

Any opinions?
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - menu du jour
As a Jazz owner I can only say yes. I have had mine [1.4 CVT] for 15 months and it is perfect for me. I am disabled and it takes my wheelchair and other stuff with ease.
Let me know if you want more specific info.
culmhead
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - menu du jour
I should have said average fuel consumption is in the mid fifties. Better on a run.
culmhead
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - Bill Payer
>>.. should I trade it in for a Jazz?

Why Jazz specifically?

Why Jazz specifically?

Reliability. Economy rate.
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - Alebear
A Jazz seems far more of a discerning choice than a Golf. I should know....in spite of never having owned either.
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - Stuartli
I wouldn't say, as a VW owner, that I agree with Alebear...

However, the latest annual car report from a well known consumer magazine includes the usual Reliability Ratings and the Jazz, once more, tops the supermini class for this aspect of ownership with a 96 per cent rating; second, some may be surprised to learn, with 94 percent, is the Hyundai Getz.

In the medium cars, the Golf lands a figure of 88 per cent with the top figure (94 per cent) again going to a Honda, the superseded Civic, although the new Civic is down to 82 per cent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - Bill Payer
Reliability. Economy rate.

We have a 53 reg 1.4SE that we've had from new. It's been reliable and it's economical. I'm not a fan of the ride, which is very choppy / bouncy.

The car does seem very well made, but I think you pay for that - it's really a bit too expensive.

We recently also bought a Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 CZ1 5 door. In 5dr form it looks remarkably like the Jazz. It doesn't have the same solid feeling, but it is a good £3000 cheaper from new. There's cheap 3 yr servicing deal on them too at the moment. It rides better too, but possibly because the body flexes more than the Jazz's!
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - OldSkoOL
Sorry to be really blunt

I would swap that golf for anything; those are so un-reliable, i have family and friends who drive or used to drive the old and even the new shape golfs. The service + bills for repair are horrendous, the worst i have encountered from any manufacturer.

You've suffered a lot in 18months, we've had German, sweedish, french, japenese and american; VW's are easily the worst, especially the Mk4... i think the only thing worst would be an older Alfa.

I'd get the Jazz no questions.
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - Red Baron
>>... i think the only thing worst would be an older Alfa. <<

Oi!!!!!!!!!!!

Less of that! Where is your evidence, real and not anecdotal?

My 10 year old Alfa has been the most reliable car that I have owned.
sorry :(

Admittedly my only evidence is my boss's old alfa that was forever having problems and in the garage. Other than that i have no leg to stand on :)

If its any consolation i think Alfa's are simply beautiful cars for the money. Looks like you have the best of both worlds!
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - 007

Visit: www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php and enjoy your Honda!
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - Lou_O
I had a 155 2l TS, great to drive but awful to own.

It just kept going wrong, in the end I nearly took the guys hand off when he offered me 1500 for it.
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - lakelad
Her indoors has a Jazz. Very roomy, reliable and economical. It is underpowered and the steering feels dead. The ride is on the firm side. Take a test drive and buy one one if you are happy with it. I much prefer my Corolla 2 litre diesel in spite of rattles from the dash. Good luck.
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - Pendlebury
>>Reliability. Economy rate.<<

You'll get plenty of all the above and - suprisingly for some - better depreciation.
The Jazz is one of the least depreciating cars in the UK as well as being the most reliable.

I swapped from VW to Honda ownership a few years ago and was amazed how much better they are.
Stuartli is correct though in what he says about the new Civic though. I think this is down to it being new and I suspect Honda have fixed the problems already and I would bet a large sum of cash (if I had it) that the Civic is back to the top of it's group next year. It was actually top of the autoexpress reliability index for it's class this year so I was suprised to see the which report. Having said that I believe the which report more and I am not trying to excuse them - 82% reliability for a Honda is very bad.
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - boxsterboy
In the time I've had it it's had whole new exhaust system new oil pressure
switch new rear washer pump new boot catch 4 tyres (Goodyears) new brake pads and
it's still got some minor stuff that needs sorting - slight play in MacPherson struts
new clutch master cylinder required. I'm basically waiting for the next breakdown.

I think you will find that a Jazz too will need an exhaust, tyres, brake pads, etc. in time.

Better try and find something more reliable!!
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - doctorchris
Tyres-replaced at 30,000miles.
Front pads-about 24,000miles (discs OK).
Exhaust still fine after over 4 years.
Fuel economy brilliant. Interior space and versatility amazing.
Performance is great but then the Jazz is my wife's, I drivw a Panda 4x4.
Thanks for the comments everyone. Off for a test drive tonight in the 1.4 SE. Gonna see how it feels and what sort of deal they put in front of me.
Don't expect a Honda dealer to be too generous - especially with a Jazz - they have no problem selling em.
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - movilogo
On a slight different note, why not buy a Daihatsu or Suzuki?
Reliability is nearly as good as Honda but at much cheaper cost!
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - George Porge
Well fancy a 6 year old car needing brakes, exhaust and tyres! Washer pump - major breakdown that one. How are you driving a car with a faulty clutch master cylinder? You'll be needing a new gearbox if the M/C is passing fluid. Some play in the front struts after 70K miles.......

Thats all run of the mill stuff for a 6 year old car.

Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - Collos25
Like Dox I could not see anything out of the ordinary.
I'm suprised at the last 2 posts.

I think that is alot of problems for a quality brand with only 73K (and there were more problems quoted if you read the OP).
We Brits seem to just accept that stuff we pay good money for will let us own and IMO that is wrong.
The manuafcturers have only been mass producing cars now for 99 years - you'd think they would be able to get them to last a little longer than 73K without all those faults.

If any other sector had been going that long their stuff would be almost perfect.

I also think the problem is that the OP has lost all faith in the car so will probably feel better if it was sold on.
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - George Porge
Go back 20 years and a 6 year old car would have one foot in the scrapyard, an 8 year old would require a little welding at MOT time. Modern cars are far more complicated, homes on wheels really, my point is any 6 year old car will need some attention on a regular basis.

Non of the faults listed would cause a breakdown. How is the OP driving a car with a faulty clutch master cylinder? Is he being given duff info from a garage, there's a bigger picture if you take your blinkers off

;O)
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - Altea Ego
I'm suprised at the last 2 posts.
I think that is alot of problems for a quality brand with only 73K (and

>In the time I've had it, it's had whole new exhaust system,
Is that likely on a 6 year old 73k jazz? YES
>4 tyres (Goodyears),
and this? YES
>new brake pads
Jazz's dont use brake pads do they? YES

etc etc

Come on - A 6 year old, 73k car is gonna get bills - lets get real.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
OK - maybe it's just me and the people I know with Jap mobiles that have been lucky then.

By the way most Honda exhausts are gauranteed for 8 years - tyres and pads I agree with.
Tyres and pads I don't mind a bit. It's also had the timing belt done and I don't mind that either.

But the exhaust problem caused several breakdowns and calls to AA - major stress and expense. I'm sure a cat on a 6yr old 73k Golf should not be breaking up and blocking the EGR.

The oil pressure switch went when I was doing 55mph on an A road and the engine cut out completely. If it had been on the motorway, I dread to think what the consequences might have been.

I also think the service at the VW main dealers is shoddy and over priced but that's just my opinion. I was charged for an hour's work when I reckon they did 15-20 mins maximum and then the car broke down (with the exhaust problem) about 1/2 a mile from the garage.

The clutch M/C I've been told needs replacing because the pedal doesn't come all the way up - the clutch disengages fine, it's just the pedal. The other bits I need to get checked out by a reputable independent servicing agent.

So, I really am keen to get rid of it!
Trust me simon - 100K miles and 10 years with minimal/no problems at all on a Honda is the norm not the exception and generally should be expected.
Where Honda have let themselves down recently IMO is on brand new models but the problems are usually fixed quickly.
If you are buying a Honda that is coming to the end if it's lifespan like the Jazz then you will be ok.
Others on this forum will find that hard to believe but I have seen that demonstrated many times.
I suppose others are reacting based on their experience of the european brands they drive so they see your type of problems as the norm.
(I recall someone thinking that a reliable car was one that's problems were easy to fix.)

Let us know how you get on.
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - dylan
I also think the service at the VW main dealers is shoddy and over priced
but that's just my opinion. I was charged for an hour's work when I reckon
they did 15-20 mins maximum and then the car broke down (with the exhaust problem)
about 1/2 a mile from the garage.

If dealer costs is an issue, bear in mind that Honda are not cheap in this regard. I was thinking about buying a used Civic 1.4 (old shape), so I enquired at my local Honda dealer about service prices - around £220 for minor and £340 for major. This is over double what Toyota charge for (presumably very similar) servicing on a 1.3 Yaris. I understand big service bills are the norm with the Jazz too.

On the issue of what problems one should expect with a 6-year-old car, I guess I am another one of the 'lucky' Jap owners. My 6-year-old Yaris, 69000 miles, is still on the original pads, disks, exhaust etc. Only thing I've spent other than normal servicing is one set of tires.

dylan has a point about servicing costs.
My accord minor was £190 and the next major is being quoted at £315 - although that does include fully synthetic (still dear though).
The Jazz does have a horribly expensive service every now and then to check for valve clearances.
I'm not sure how those costs compare to your Golf's.

I chose to accept the higher servicing costs for the reliability and refinement of the car.
Sorry, I meant repair costs more than servicing - I should have been more clear. The cost of the service that I had done on the Golf was fairly reasonable ISTR.

I can live with higher servicing costs in return for greater reliability.
It's going to be obvious when you tell me but what does "ISTR" mean ?
Trade in Golf for a Jazz? - boxsterboy
I seem to recall?
Thanks bb - I was right - it is obvious now.
Any news simon on how you got on - have you reached a decision ?