Vw Polo coolant problem - baggybud
i got my car a month ago or so.

had a few problems with the engine ticking over and not switching off via the imobiliser
thats all sorted, no longer have an imobiliser.

but the coolant keeps going down rather fast there appears to be no leaks of any sort,
looking under the bonnet tonight though, my dad and i noticed a cap that was open,

next to the engine and you can sort of see into the engine, just wondering if anyone can halp as to what this caps for and wether it has anything to do wit the coolant level.

any help will be really appreciated.
Vw Polo coolant problem - bell boy
car year?
sorry. 96 P reg
tinyurl.com/2xffes

which one?
Vw Polo coolant problem - mss1tw
next to the engine and you can sort of see into the engine

which one?

C'mon BB it has to be the oil filler! Number 1 please Carol.
oh bummerr.

was hoping that would solve my collant problem.

back to square onee. then.
anyone know whats up with the coolant?
Vw Polo coolant problem - TurboD

1) is there a leak under the car in the morning? ( a puddle of coolant)-
somewhere.

2) if not , then it is being lost by being evaporated by:
a) leaking head gasket
b) cracked cyinder head
The latter is rare for a petrol.

Logic says , where else can it go?

How many miles, well cared for etc. not overheated, well serviced?, give us a clue

Vw Polo coolant problem - Martin1981
Take it to a garage and get them to pressure test the cooling system, which will reveal immediately if there is a leak.

Martin
good one Martin1981 but can i just add that i have done pressure tests before and just sometimes it doesnt show on the guage even though i know somethings wrong
i was recommended a few years ago to get a substance to put in the water to help but being tight i never bothered
a co test helps though by checking if the hydrocarbons are high
Vw Polo coolant problem - Martin1981
The coolant is obviously disappearing somewhere. If it's the head gasket, coolant will be lost either water to oil, whereby coolant becomes contaminated with the oil- check for creamy deposits on the oil filler cap and oil in the coolant. A failing head gasket can also result in coolant being forced out of the expansion tank filler cap due to pressure in the cooling system caused by combustion gases entering the system from the cylinders. This is where a CO2 'sniffer' test can be useful in determining HGF.
Vw Polo coolant problem - Peter D
Fill the ehader tank when cold, replace cap run/drive for 10mins and check how firm the hoses are, now carefully release the pressure. I said carefully. now replace the cap hold the engine at 3000 ish for 30 secs and recheck pressure, if the hoses have re-pressurized it point to a head gasket. Remove plugs and see if one is amazingly clean, if so then thats the proble. Your local garage can also sniff the header take for combustion fumes. Regards Peter
Removing the imobiliser can invalidate your insurance. It's a get out for them. Regards Peter
Removing the imobiliser can invalidate your insurance. It's a get out for them. Regards Peter

it must have had another non factory immobilisor fitted peter as the factory one on the polo cannot be beat as it is a chip in the key
The OP said
'had a few problems with the engine ticking over and not switching off via the imobiliser thats all sorted, no longer have an imobiliser.
Which is a bit strange so he needs to clarify this point.
Regards Peter
i think that bit is a red herring peter D
with regards the water loss problem,

i just thought i would let you know it cannot be worked around as a factory fit fitment (the immobilisor)
It is, but it does not give the OP much credit does it. He says he no longer has an imobiliser and this can effect his insurance. Regards Peter