The new Clio has broken down! - Altea Ego
Ring Ring

Nicole: "my new clio has broken down - I am stuck"

RF: thoughts { Oh goodness , Injection system? ECU? famous Renault electricals?)

ON Arrival at scene of crime:
All electrics seem ok, no strange bleeps, has the low fuel light on but says "35 miles to empty".
So up with the bonnet, whip off the black engine cover. Look round, find rubber bulb on extreme left with see through plastic tubing on one side. Pump bulb a few times, and suddenly a feint froth appears once. AHA. out of diesel.

Off to garage, buy plastic can, 5 litres of ESSO finest, and back to car to fill her. 15 -20 pumps of bulb gets a satisfying filling of the tube with an ice blue/yellow colour and hard feeling to bulb. 10 seconds of engine churning gets a even more satisfying growl of DCi engine firing up.

So Renault - BAD BAD BAD - the fuel gage and trip computer is wildy inaccurate. Clio 3 DCi owners beware.

Renault GOOD GOOD GOOD, thanks for making the re priming of the diesel system so easy and obvious.

Ah the smell of diesel on hands!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/03/2008 at 19:35

The new Clio has broken down! - bell boy
But where is her sense in running the car so low?
Stick a £10 in so needle goes to first quarter and tell her in future to use this line as her empty mark.
The new Clio has broken down! - tyro
Interesting

If I may quote from my verbose review of a new Clio I hired in France last year - see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=46...2

"... when I started the ignition, the fuel gauge told me that it was about 7 eighths full. Over the next few days, I watched the needle slowly fall to about ¾ full. Then (on the morning of Friday 13th) it was reading full. As if that wasn't puzzling enough, the trip computer wasn't giving me any odometer reading at all, simply a message which said 'Pas de messages memorise' (or something like that.) I stopped a few miles down the road, and the odometer reading returned when I restarted - and it was fine until the day when we returned the car, when we got the error message again on starting in the morning. This time, at least the needle on the fuel gauge behaved itself, and gave us the same reading it had been giving the previous day. When we turned it in at Nice airport, we reported these two things to Europcar, and the gentleman on duty just laughed and said "It's a French car.""
In this case there are no errors, messages or varying readings.

Its just lying. 35 miles to go means empty. Its not lying when the warning light comes up - that means fill up now!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The new Clio has broken down! - tyro
You mean some of them lie, some of them make mistakes, and some of them are just wildly unreliable??

::rolls eyes:: Ahhh, les Français perfides!
The new Clio has broken down! - PoloGirl
Bell Boy - for those who do a lot of miles, Extreme Fuel Light Bingo keeps you amused!

The Golf works in reverse. I can regularly do 10-15 miles past 0 miles to go without running out. Then I lose my nerve and have to fill up!

The new Clio has broken down! - Lud
when the warning
light comes up - that means fill up now!

Quite so TVM. Naughty Nicole.
The new Clio has broken down! - bathtub tom
I recently stopped to help a damsel in distress in a Herald with a dead engine. The petrol pump priming lever felt like it was pumping air, but she assured me it had enough petrol in it!
She looked puzzled when I asked her to open the boot, and had absolutely no idea it had a reserve lever (which was fortunately on main).
Ole gits like me can guess the rest, but I bet it's permanently on reserve - the blank look in her eyes when I told her to put it back on main after putting some petrol in it said it all.
The new Clio has broken down! - billy25
How did you remember to do all that, when you can forget that for the last few months you "monicker" has been T.V.M not R.F!! ;-)
Update.

After some discussion over a biscotti and cappucino in cafe nero, it seems the real story is thus:

The warning light came on when 85 miles to go was showing, this was Wednesday. Since then we had done 50 miles. "So I must have 35 miles left then musnt I?" she says. (the miles to go display goes blank when the low fuel warning light comes on)..

Anyway I put 5 litres in from a can, she topped it up with 49.5 litres in after i got it going. The tank holds 55 litres.

So probably no blame on Renault.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The new Clio has broken down! - Ravenger
I've taught myself over the years to treat 1/4 of a tank as nearly empty. So when it reaches that level I know to fill up as soon as possible. I don't like driving around without a reserve because you never know when you could be stuck in traffic for a while.
The new Clio has broken down! - milkyjoe
why dont they fit a reserve tap like on motorbikes
i know the dealers answer would be " but they will run that dry aswell"
never did on a bike personally
The new Clio has broken down! - mss1tw
Because then they would say why can't you just give us a warning light.

Have never run any vehicle (car or bike) to the point where it is immobile through lack of fuel.
The new Clio has broken down! - mazdaboy
Had a panicky call from SWMBO a few weeks ago, stuck in a one-way system on the south coast as the Volvo had, and I quote, 'suddenly cut out'. A few exploratory questions revealed she'd allowed herself to run out of diesel.

Our local Volvo dealership advised that the car would have to be transported to allow the car to be 'pumped out' whatever that means. Fortunately the RAC man rather fruitily dismissed that as 'bullucks' and towed her to the nearest service station, filled it up whereupon it started and ran with no problems.

I can only guess Volvo were rubbing their hands together for a quick bit of easy cash!
The new Clio has broken down! - bell boy
a lot of modern cars will ruin the scavenge pump in the tank if you run them dry and some can be eyewatering in price a pain in the buttock to get to and some even need coding by the dealer

you have been warned a happorth of tar and all that
the days when you can stick a gallon in from an old can are going fast
i will not run any modern car that low on fuel as i said earlier,use the quarter mark as your empty and then if you ever get in a situation of not finding any fuel then you still have the quarter tank left
The new Clio has broken down! - deepwith
Our wonderful old Beetle had no petrol gauge but a useful lever on the floor by the clutch opened the reserve tank and gave you another gallon. Our son plays petrol lottery and has just been informed the mum's mobile petrol station is as of now, out of service - it was costing me a fortune in diesel rescuing him. Several months ago I filled the tank for him and told him to use the quarter mark as refill time - it didn't work.
The new Clio has broken down! - fossyant
My Nissan really scares the whatsit out of you if you run low (i.e. to the warning light) as not only does the light come on, the N-Form system also chimes and shows a big petrol pump on screen - my wife nearly shot me when that happened - still had probably 8 litres spare.

Go with the quarter refill option - I know too many people who will run their car below red !
The new Clio has broken down! - Clanger
My old Beetle had a reserve tap on the floor but it was an LHD import registered BYE 131H. At least on RHD versions you could gun the engine with the right foot while you flipped the lever with the left. Mine just died.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
The new Clio has broken down! - Blue {P}
why dont they fit a reserve tap like on motorbikes
i know the dealers answer would be " but they will run that dry aswell"

The dealers are right, the public in general aren't very disciplined, take Powerkey electricity meters for example, they come with an emergency credit which lots of people live in permanently, then they feel that they are hard done by when the meter throws a hissy fit and cuts them off pending payment of the money owed in full, which of course they don't have...

Blue
The new Clio has broken down! - piggy
I've taught myself over the years to treat 1/4 of a tank as nearly empty.<<

Quite right Ravenger! As a sometime dog breeder I have learnt yhis lesson as well. One never knows when an emergency might crop up.
Living out in the wilds I`m at least six miles from the nearest petrol station. I also hate the thought of muck getting into the fuel lines.
>>
Since then we had done 50 miles.

Does that 'we' mean that you had been playing last-across with Nicole TVM, and that she alone was not to blame?

I think we should be told.
I think we should be told.

It was the royal "we" lud, there is but one, and only one miscreant at work here.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>
It was the royal "we"

So, it was you alone TVM (the royal 'we' invariably meaning 'I').

My apologies to Nicole, clearly completely innocent, and a rap over the knuckles for you for trying to put the blame on her.
The new Clio has broken down! - oldgit
But where is her sense in running the car so low?
Stick a £10 in so needle goes to first quarter and tell her in future
to use this line as her empty mark.

Precisely! I have very little sympathy for drivers who insist on running their car with little or no fuel left in the tank. I wouldn't dream of letting my gauge get any lower than 1/4 full before refuelling, after what is the sense in seeing how far you can go before the warning light may or may not come on - quite stupid in my opinion.
The new Clio has broken down! - Kuang
Given the diversity and complexity of systems in a typical car, why does nobody seem to be able to make an accurate fuel gauge?..
The new Clio has broken down! - Aprilia
bell boy is right on this. A lot of cars (most now) use an in-tank pump which relies on the fuel for cooling and lubrication - so don't run it dry. Having said that, they will nearly all cut the pump when the engine stops - but its not good practise.
The new Clio has broken down! - DP
Glad it was nothing serious TVM.

If it's any consolation, Peugeot computers are no better. I ran out in a 406 HDi with 30 miles still showing, and to add insult to injury it threw a massive tantrum and shut itself down into "ECO MODE". Nothing worked at all. Had to be towed in.

I won't be testing the accuracy of the Scenic's! 50 miles is usually when the "red" bar of the fuel gauge starts blinking, accompanied by an ear splitting "BEEEEEEEEEEP". That's when I bottle it and fill up.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
The new Clio has broken down! - doog
Had a Lexus IS220D 2 weeks ago. When I needed to return it, the dash said I had 10 miles left until empty.....decided to stick £5 worth of diesel in to get it back to the dealer.

After putting said fuel in...the computer read out 'still' said 10 miles till empty and the needle didnt move in the slightest...not suprisingly re the needle but i thought the digital readout may have at least registered the extra small amount of fuel and upped it 30 or 40 til empty.

I even returned to the kiosk to question if the pump was working.....10 miles came and went and 22 miles later i arrived at the dealer..was a slightly nervy journey even at 56mph
The new Clio has broken down! - Aretas
I find the gauge and "miles to go" computer on my A4 impeccable.
The new Clio has broken down! - cheddar
Our Clio II counts down to 50 miles then reads --- and the fuel light comes on, time to fill up.

I once took a Vectra V6 down to 5 miles on the trip range in France in the middle of the night, long story though a friendly Gendarme filled it up for me on his card at an Automat and I paid him cash.
The new Clio has broken down! - 1066
i was out in the wilds of lincolnshire last year in a cmax 2.0tdci. it started to bleep at 25mls to go. i started looking for a petrol station but as it was 2.0am not many open. i drove to 30 miles past empty and saw a garage open in the distance just as the car stopped and i had to walk the last 200metres. luckily there was a mechanic there working late who primed the fuel system for me
The new Clio has broken down! - jase1
The gauge on my old Accent seemed to be remarkably accurate.

The light would come on at 50 miles to go, same as any other, and flash at 25. If I filled up when the light first lit up I'd always get around 39-40l back into it (it was a 45l tank), and if I waited until the flash it was more like 42l. Doing the maths, at 40mpg the gauge was pretty much spot on.

The old Cavalier on the other hand, there was one occasion where the tank read 1/4 full, the light came on, and the car spluttered to a halt as I was reaching the petrol station less than a mile later. Thankfully I was able to drag the old wreck to the pump on the starter motor (was damned if I was going to get out and push that heap of carp!).
The new Clio has broken down! - IanJohnson
The Accord (being a Honda) is the epitomy of reliability - when the light comes on there is 10 litres, or about 100 miles worth, left in the tank. Checked several times whe refilling just after it came on and even used 70 of the hundred up once, but was starting to get nervous. . . .
The new Clio has broken down! - oilrag
About 12 years ago we had the sort of really heavy snowfall that typically occurs every 15yrs or so in my part of the UK. Enough to bring all the 2 wheel cars to a halt and in the ensuing massive traffic snarl ups, let those small narrow Suzuki 4x4s push though.

I met the owner of one in the middle of nowhere on a hill just setting out to walk ( like me).

He was inconsolable, his one chance in this vehicles natural lifespan to prove its worth as a road only vehicle.
( having jigged and wandered ( in a worm and nut sort of way) along slowly using twice as much fuel as the car brigade for years)

Yes, out of fuel and having to walk like everyone else, garages having shut hours earlier.
The new Clio has broken down! - mss1tw
his one chance in this vehicles natural lifespan to prove its worth as a road only vehicle.

Yes out of fuel and having to walk like everyone else garages having shut hours earlier.

:^D heh heh