Mazda 626 Diesel - LinuxGeek
Is it worth buying one of these as a cheap family car? I've always liked Mazdas and I used to own 323 petrol but never owned or driven a diesel but now the prices of diesels have dropped down to fit my budget. Could someone comment on Mazda diesels and 626 please? Thanks
Mazda 626 Diesel - Sprice
IIRC, the Mazda 626 diesel unit was a bit of an oddity (I'm sure it was called 'comprex') in that it was a supercharged engine. Might be hard to get spares etc for.
Pot I've been reading owner reviews and general reviews on parkers, wisebuyers and it seems as if owners and experts give them good review! According to Parkers they could return around 54mpg. Are they as reliable as Mazda's petrol engines? I've got Volvo S40 TD and I'm looking for a car to replace my Volvo!
Its quite a complex unit from what I remember reading and as I said unique in that it has a supercharger so I'm not sure what the spares situation is. It will probably be reliable however (as per most Jap cars) as they design stuff from the outset with reliability in mind!

I'm not sure what the power output is, but as its an old design it might struggle with the 626's bulk, plus you'd have to find one!! Otherwise, go for it, I always like cars a little different and funnily enough have been looking at both the Xedos 6 and 626 (as well as Mitsi Galant- Mitsubishi being my fave manufacturer!) on ebay lately.
Just checked the CBCB and forget what I said blueagle, the comprex diesel was only available from May '94 to Oct '95 as it was not a success and they switched to standard fare diesels afterwards!
Mazda 626 Diesel - Galad
I don't know about the Mazda 6 diesel but my 323 TD (2002 reg) has been faultless over 70k miles from new. Expensive to service though and not as frugal as I had first thought but no real regrets given its reliability to date (all original bulbs, exhaust). That said I wouldn't go for another new diesel, whatever the manufacturer, as the common rail technology is problematic if you follow postings here. I recall one Mazda 6 diesel owner complaining about a clutch going within 18 months only to find that as it was a dual mass flywheel type clutch, it was around double that of say a petrol equivalent (I think) to replace.
Mazda 626 Diesel - Falkirk Bairn
I have a Mazda Xedos - similar in many ways to the 626 - I bought it with 2,000mls on the clock and I have had it nearly 8 years -

1 problem of sticky gearchange (gearbox stripdown & rebuild under warranty)

1 problem about 4 years ago (Cost £150 for part & fitting)

Excepting Servicing, tyres, brakes, exhaust, timing belt (£280 ouch as it is an engine out job apparently)

£150 + 2 bulbs that has been the total spent on repairs in 8 years.
Mazda 626 Diesel - merlin
Just came across this thread... I have a Mazda 626 diesel. It's a V reg which I bought in 2003 with 50k on the clock. Since then I have done 100k trouble free miles. The main expense is service particularly cambelt changes every 54k miles. I know it is relatively slow coming from a Subaru Impreza turbo but then it is cheap to run. 54 mpg is possible with a light foot. The last set of front tyres lasted 40k miles and the rears that are still on must have done more than 50k. There's plenty of space inside for a family car. The main problem will be finding a good one. When I was looking back in 2003 the 626 diesel was a rare car. Today it's not often that I see a 626 on the road and even rarer to see a diesel.
Marlin - Thanks for your message. I've decided not to go with 626 and am actively looking for Mazda 323 diesel. Mazda is my favourite car manufacturer and I've had 323 petrol.
Mazda 626 Diesel - Galad
Just check that the timing belt has been replaced at 54k. I think it must be an engine-out job because including a main service by the dealer, it cost me £600.01 (yes, they even took the penny of my card) to change the belt. Aways worth getting it done properly for peace of mind.

Also. look for signs of rust - my 2002 323TD is starting to rust inside the rear wheel arches and behind the rear number plate (definiltey not the result of any damage) and, more worryingly, paint is beginning to bubble on the outside of the wheelarch. It's booked into a body shop for touching up next month. Disappointing given the car's otherwise faultless 5 years and 70k of service. I've also got a 12 year old Astra with 150k on the clock and not a mark of rust anywhere.