Sat Nav UK and US - CMP
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a Sat Nav that includes maps for both the UK and US. Can anyone suggest the most cost effective solution?

Thanks in advance.

CMP
Sat Nav UK and US - Zippy123
Tom Tom 910 includes UK, Europe and USA
Sat Nav UK and US - rtj70
If you can hang on a bit then there are TomTom 520/720's. Difference basically UK vs Europe mapping.

As you only want UK and USA it might be cheaper with a 520 (or if desperate the 510) and buy the USA map as an extra map.

In fact if you do not go to all of the USA you can buy a subset such as the west coast. Then again west coast is currently ?47.95 and USA/Canada is ?79.95. But if you will never use the rest of the maps it is still a saving.

Sat Nav UK and US - Westpig
if you're computer/gadget literate then consider the smaller Tomtom and download the US files...... if like me you're not.........then buy the more expensive one with the US maps already on it

I had no end of hassle trying to download the maps, because i didn't know what i was doing

at one point i felt like drop kicking the thing across my garden

(i didn't realise the standard SD card didn't have enough memory to fit the extra maps in, so there wasn't enough room to fit them in)

when you consider the cost of the download and extra sized SD card versus the more expensive Satnav in the first place, with the map already on it.......i know what i'd do if i had my time again

but there again i am particularly thick with these things
Sat Nav UK and US - CMP
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I need just west coast US so TomTom 520 looks interesting.

Westpig - I can relate to your frustrations of wanting to kick a piece of kit across the garden, technology is not always as intuitive as it could be!!

Thanks again.

CMP
don't forget though.........you'll just buy the West Coast ones only...and then within 18 months there'll be a valid reason to visit the East Coast......it's how it goes....:-)
Sat Nav UK and US - rtj70
The price difference between say west coast and all of USA/Canada not that big taking the US/Pound exchange rate into consideration.

But westpig, you're example suggests using 18 month old maps on a sat nav a great idea. Might be better to buy new maps for the region at that time?
fair point.........although generally roads don't change that much do they.......you might go a bit wrong on a new interchnage or something, then it'll put you right again