Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or old on? - henry k
Seeing the terrible flooding on the TV and vast numbers of vehicles trapped in the water I wonder how many will be scrapped and how many will reappear on the market ?
I guess in theory they should all be scrapped BUT.......

I saw at least one Aston and a Jaguar in all the many many shots of vehicles in various levels of water. These may be more attractive vehicles to work on as opposed to low value cars.
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or old on? - Aprilia
Most intact cars will be sold as repairable salvage.
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or old on? - Lud
In Ceylon in 1946 or so my father had an American Ford V8 a few years old. I loved it because it was powerful and the tyres squealed a lot, but it made us sick.

While he was still coming to terms with its handling and the roads and weather, my fatheer had lost it in the wet one day and gone into the country's biggest river, nearly drowning himself (no seatbelts in those days). The car was on its side under water. He climbed out of the upper side and was rescued. The car was also rescued, stripped and rendered usable again. I don't even remember it as having any visible body damage, although most of the Admiralty cars looked a bit rough.
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or old on? - Dalglish
... in 1946 .... The car was also rescued, stripped and rendered usable again.

1946, those must have the days.
unfortunately today's cars are full of electronics and all kinds of unsalvageable material inside and outside the passenger compartment, which will probably render only the exterior metal as of any value.

Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or old on? - Dalglish
actually, a secondary question is:
will the car-insurance cover the loss due to an act of the master of the universe and bush+blair and cheyney+halliburton (surely they are to blame for all this? ). as someone on the other newspaper which we cannot name said: this is all because the french secret service sank the greenpeace rainbow warrior.

Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or old on? - Lud
1946 those must have (been) the days.

Obviously in some important ways they were, but I try not to say so too often. Don't want people getting jealous. And of course I was a helpless passenger myself being under 10 at the time.
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or old on? - milkyjoe
1946, post war anything was salvagable in them austere times i can imagine , land rover were just round the corner i think that had a lot to do with their developement
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or old on? - martint123
Looking at my local salvage websites, they have flood damage as Cat A, which is certainly not for salvage repair.

"A - Not for resale. Fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged (contaminated or salt water), severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or heavily stripped (shell)."

Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or sold on? - Brian Tryzers
I can only infer that flood water isn't considered 'contaminated', then. My 1996 Saab 900 (a red one) that was written off after the Good Friday floods in 1998 is, according to the DVLA site, still out there. I really hope the present user knows its history - having seen it four weeks after the flood, I wouldn't have wanted it at any price.
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or sold on? - Aprilia
Take it from me that there are a lot of freshwater flood damaged cars running around out there...
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or sold on? - pmh
I remember a friend who had a flood damage car from the Exe floods in late 60s. He kept it for 2 years and found that despite scrupulous cleaning it became unusable on hot summer days! However it was perfectly usuable throughout the winter. Guess when it was sold!

--

pmh (was peter)

Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or sold on? - midlifecrisis
My Fiat Brava was written off in a flood a good few years ago. (It was parked-not driven into it I hasten to add). A fellow rang me up asking if I had the service history, so it was obviously bought off the insurance company by someone.
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or sold on? - qxman {p}
Mike Brewer showed how to spot an ex-flood damaged car on the Autotrader TV programme, so they are obviously sold on.
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or sold on? - DrS
I guess it's not just the smell, but also the risk of Weil's disease? Anyway, ideally, all of the sound deadening, the upholstery, the carpets, the headlining, etc needs replacing, which makes it uneconomical for most cars: Although the stuff like Astons, etc should be worthwhile?
Which is sort of perverse, in a way.
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or sold on? - bell boy
With the amount of flood damaged cars up here including a colleague who lost all his stock to the water this week i think there is going to be one heck of a lot of flood damaged cars coming back on to the market in the next few months.
Let me remind you.......... "that know it all" ........ that a lot of these cars will end up as insurance cat x so the likes of dave down the pub who knows nowt and his mate the builder,the one with shorts on always supping tea under the auctioneer as he was tonight with all his tricks WILL NOT know........
like the rest of us wont until,............ electrics stop working or going wonky.......... wheel bearings start groaning ............and gearboxes go pop..............,obviously being a motor trader i will be out to rip as many customers off with my glare as i can because this is what the british customer expects and wants :-)

please change the words with that one if you wish because if i put black is white someone's going to pick bones if they hate car traders.

{just added a smiley bellboy - PU}
Flood damaged cars. Scrapped or sold on? - TurboD
the dealer will stick a dehumidifier in for a couple of days - and a bit of spit and polish.
low miles , clean car(ho ho) off you go- but for how long amd it will steam up strangely later etc.- be careful oout there- if it seems to good to be true then it is.