Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - brg190 pete
I am considering buying a 3 year old Honda Accord diesel. While I am really attracted by the better mpg and more accessible torque of diesel over petrol, I am concerned about various comments I have seen on here and elsewhere regarding long term reliability / cost of maintaining diesels and, in particular, the danger of putting petrol into a diesel car.

If the car I buy has been previously misfuelled, is it likely that any damage will have become immediately obvious, and therefore repairs done in the past? Or could the damage from previous misfuelling have been less obvious, so that repairs weren't necessary, potentially meaning I will have a large bill later in the car's life?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Collos25
If you start worrying like that before you have bought the car you never sleep at night after you have bought one.Petrol in diesel is no great problem upto half and half but diesel in petrol is a killer after about 5% but unless you know the previous owner how will you ever know its history.
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Aprilia
snipped quoted post - PU
The other way around....
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - islandman
For what it's worth I visit a BMW forum & it's the diesels that seem to give by far the most problems. This may be that diesel's now outnumber petrol's but certainly when things go wrong it can be costly.
I stand to be corrected on this but as diesels become more & more 'advanced' there seems to be more potentially to go wrong.
As for misfuelling by previous owner? Possible but then so are lots of things & that's the risk you take when buying a used car.
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - jc2
It is not easy to put diesel in a modern petrol car but petrol can be put in a diesel very easily if you don't think or look.
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Pugugly {P}
According to Fifth Gear the Fuel nozzle on the new Mondeo has been re-designed to prevent misfuellig. As Mrs P said when she saw it "how hard was that then ?"
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Altea Ego
So how have ford managed to stop you putting a small pipe in a bigger hole
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Lud
Have one round and one hexagonal, like those brick-and-box sets for tiny children.

Sell universal adaptors cheaply on garage forecourts. Have a changeover day. Job done, give or take tens of thousands of accidental cockups.
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - bell boy
my only advise if buying an ex company car that has been refueled many times is keep to a good quality fuel from day 1 ,my reckoning being that if the cars running well now then no reason it still wont be running well in another 3 years
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Sofa Spud
The only advice is 'don't put the wrong fuel in the car' !!! I've never done that (famous last words) and if you are capable of always remembering where you parked your car, then you should be capable of putting the right fuel in it!!!!!
If only it was that easy. I have access to two diesel vehicles, two petrol as well as two petrol in work. I have to think "This is me putting diesel in the BMW/Landie" when I fill up.
depends Sofa Spud,if you are a one car family then you dont make mistakes ----but---------- if you drive and fill more than one vehicle then it is very easy to misfuel especially when yellow pump ends are petrol
The evidence is that plenty of sane, intelligent, professional people do it all the time.
The evidence is that plenty of sane intelligent professional people do it all the time.

and me:-)
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Lud
Despite having a good average ability to make silly or barking mad mistakes, I have never misfuelled a car although I have owned diesel and petrol cars at the same time.

There are so many clues after all. You know which car you are driving. The pumps are different. The fuels smell different, so that when you open the tank you can tell immediately what's in there.

One is often distracted or half asleep for quite long periods, but to do this it seems to me you have to be making a mistake steadily through a series of actions for about a minute and a half. How does it happen?
"One is often distracted"

That maybe one of the reasons of course and there are others e.g. where one major brand coloured their ironmongery eccentrically.

"One is often distracted"
That maybe one of the reasons of course and there are others e.g. where one
major brand coloured their ironmongery eccentrically.

Light blue springs to mind
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
life gets in the way lud,you are thinking something else, working a solution out as you are not concentrating on the actual driving,
ive put petrol in a transit before now yet havent had a petrol transit for nearly 20 years
Nicole is on her first diesel car. Driven petrol cars for near on 30 years

"Now" says Papa, "you need to be really careful dearheart, please checkwhen you fill up."

"Its got a black filler and says diesel" she says.

"Yes dear I say, but mistakes can happen- I have done it myself."

"Yes but I am not stupid like you am I" she says.

sigh - the expense and agro wont make up for the "I told you so moment"

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - bathtub tom
'if the cars running well now then no reason it still wont be running well in another 3 years
'

Not in the case of my (ex) diesel Focus. Bought as a two-year-old, ran well for another two, then died and needed a (£1300) fuel pump.
diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - rtj70
The bigger diesel filler hole has a metal flap over it. The flap only opens when you push the bigger nozzle into/around the filler hole. Smaller nozzle cannot do that because it's too small Assume the flap on the petrol relies on the smaller nozzle doing the same - not that you could fit the diesel nozzle in.

Badly explained but hope it makes sense.

In some countries where diesel nozzles can be smaller the car comes with a funnel just in case!
That's how I now remember it. Made sense to MrsP at the time so passed the common sense test.
FordEasyFuel

The new Mondeo is the first production car to feature Ford?s award-winning FordEasyFuel system. Standard across the range, the system features a mis-fuelling inhibitor that can tell the difference between the fuel pump nozzle used for petrol and diesel and only accepts the right one for your car. So you?ll never experience diesel being added to a petrol tank or vice versa. And its capless design removes the risk of spilling fuel on your fingers ? or worse ? your clothes.

Ah well Ford's website reveals all.
www.nextcar.com.au/n.ford.2005.easyfuel.05sep.html
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - james86
I nearly went wrong the other week. As I have a 2.0tdci engine I try and use Ultimate fuel where I can. Was at BP at a motorway service station and picked up the second of the two ultimate pumps, which I thought was for diesel. For some reason happened to glance at the price display above the pump and saw it was £1.09 or something silly, then decided I wasn't going to pay that and swapped the pump for regular. But only when putting the pump back did I see that both ultimate pumps were for petrol! Literally I was about two seconds away from putting it in the car. A result of both my local BP stations offering ultimate diesel in the second of the two ultimate pumps I think (and both with the same colour).
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Pugugly {P}
As I said by not mentioning any names and following my eyes !
Thanks for all the replies. If I buy a diesel car and put petrol in it, then that's my fault and I'll have to pay for it.

But I am looking at buying a 3 year old diesel, so the purpose of my query was to ask whether misfuelling tends to lead to immediate catastrophic failure (in which case, I'm not worried, as any previous misfuelling should have already been repaired) or damage only (in which case I could get the bill down the line due to the previous owner's misfuelling). Can someone answer that point?

If misfuelling can cause damage only, but the car still being driveable, how can I check for this before buying? Is there anything I should be able to spot on a test drive? Should damage be obvious from the MOT emissions test?

Thanks
I think you'll find some considerable postings on Mondeos in the BR in particular over on Tech. Failures apparently linked to misfuelling. I would think long and hard about it. There was a poster on here who misfuelled his RS4 and the advice given was to move it on, someone will be buying that car.
Yes, but am I minimising that risk if I buy from a Honda main dealer, as the cars go through their Honda approved process? Is there anything that they or I (on a test drive) should see or hear if a car has been misfuelled - or could I end up buying a car which drives perfectly well but the problem only becomes apparent later?
I doubt whether you could tell. More tales of woe about TDCi engines than anything else I can remember (off the top of my head on this site - but some would say that this was due to the sheer volume of cars). Unlike taxes and death you can't guarantee anything - its a lottery.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Roly93
I doubt whether you could tell. More tales of woe about TDCi engines than anything
else I can remember

>>
A hell of a lot of the diesel horror stories I think are due to teh large number of common rail failures in the very numerous Ford TDCI's, this coupled with Renault diesel EGR problems makes the lions share of the woes. I',ve had 3 diesels which have collectively done about 160,000 miles with no problems.
The problems with diesels are mostly due to them not being worked hard I think.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - bell boy
get the name of the last driver/owner and ask them honestly
"did you misfuel it" ??????????apart from that all you can do is either pay a lot for a warranty that wont cover it or point your prayer mat due south east south
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Altea Ego
Yes but am I minimising that risk if I buy from a Honda main dealer

No
Is there anything that they or I (on a test drive) should see or hear if a car has been misfuelled
No
- or could I end up buying a car which drives perfectly well but the problem only becomes apparent later?

Yes - apparently
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - stevie1234
DO NOT buy a diesel, been driving diesel engined cars since 1990, I change them every 3 - 5 years, over the years they have got quieter, smoother, more powerful, more responsive but LESS RELIABLE, MORE COMPLICATED and just HIDEOUSLY EXPENSIVE

WHEN they go wrong.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Aprilia
Whenever a CR Diesel fails the cry goes up 'misfuelling!'. In truth, unless there is petrol in the tank at the time of failure, its hard to prove one way or the other. The manufacturers are naturally enough keen to blame misfuelling for CR injection system failure - especailly if the car is under warranty!

In truth, nothing is provable and you are taking a gamble if you buy a used CR Diesel. If you are doing high mileage and Diesel engine will cut your fuel bills significantly then go for it. If the economics are less clear cut (you only drive average mileage) and intend to keep the car outside of the warranty period then go for a petrol engine. You will also be eliminating (most probably) a turbo and a dual-mass flywheel from the equation - that's two expensive parts off the 'to fail' list for a start!
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - OldSkoOL
I really wouldn't let it worry you - unless you know the previous owners and they are honest with you its not worth worrying about.

It is correct to say that more things can go wrong with a diesel because they are extremely advanced these days. It can be costly if something major happens but something major can happen with a petrol engine too.

I'd say there are only a few major things with diesels, 1) fuel pump, 2) timing belt/chain 3) turbo (in for good measure).

Turbo's aren't bank breaking and fuel pumps aren't the end of the world, timing belts are the thing to worry about. If that goes so (probably) does your engine. As long as you stick to service intervals and get the belt changed when suggested then you will be ok.

Diesels are solid engines that will run for a few hundred thousand miles if treated with respect. They have sensors on everything so your engine will go into limp mode (to protect itself) even if a valve is clogged up. Even from all the posts you see about diesels the vast majority have trouble free motoring.

Break it in properly if you own new, always let it warm up before accelerating hard and do try and let the turbo idle before you turn off the engine - then you should be fine. Give it a good boot everynow and again if your diesel doesn't automatically burn off the extra soot lying around.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - cheddar
Whenever a CR Diesel fails the cry goes up 'misfuelling!'. In truth unless there is
petrol in the tank at the time of failure its hard to prove one way
or the other. >>

Even if there is no petrol in the tank it can be premature failure based on wear caused by an earlier mis-fuel.

While the Ford system as fitted to the new Mondeo is not totally fool proof, i.e. filling stations can mis-fuel their tanks, also water can be present etc, it would be interesting to see if the number of fuel system issues are less than with the same engine (in the case of the 2.0 diesel) in the 407 etc. Or perhaps Ford could compare stats for the 1.8 and 2.0 in the Focus / C-Max v the new Mondeo.
Thanks for all the replies. The consensus seems to be that buying a second hand diesel is a gamble. While that may not have been the advice I wanted, I will respect it as I know you lot are independent.

I only do about 14k pa, so the economics are marginal. It was more that I was attracted to the more accessible torque of a diesel engine.

Out of interest, is there a similar issue with putting diesel into a petrol car? It's just that you don't seem to hear of this as a problem. Is it because people don't tend to make this mistake or does this sort of misfuel cause less of a problem?
>>buying a second hand diesel is a gamble>>

Yes though economy wise it does not take long to make a worthwhile saving offsetting the risk, perhaps as much as £500 a year at 14,000 miles.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - PhilW
"buying a second hand diesel is a gamble"
I guess so judging by the posts on here, but our last 4 "family" cars have been high mileage (for the year) diesels. 2 BXs and 2 Xantias. All of them seemed to have been used by long distance (?) commuters, a couple with 60k after 2 years. We have then taken them, at our lower annual mileage to 170k (sold to friend who took it to over 200k and then sold it on), 140k (sold to another friend, 100k (traded in), and current one is 7 years old and about 94k. None of them has ever had the engine touched except for a couple of sets of glowplugs (changed by me), cambelts (when required) and oil changes. I haven't a clue whether any of them have been misfuelled before we bought them.
Maybe we've been lucky.......
I think our next car will be a second hand diesel, and if people keep talking them down we should get a good deal!
--
Phil
Can someone answer my query about why there doesn't seem to be similar problems with putting diesel into a petrol engine?

Thanks
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Lud
Can someone answer my query about why there doesn't seem to be similar problems with
putting diesel into a petrol engine?
Thanks

If I haven't made a silly mistake it's something to do with the lubricity of petrol, or rather the lack of it, and the fragility of mass-market cr high-pressure diesel pumps. If petrol goes through them they are damaged, an cost KKKKK to replace.

Older diesels were not so badly affected.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - rtj70
BX's and Xantias will not have been common rail diesel so petrol not a problem.

My Mondeo TDCi might be playing up again - monitoring it carefully. So far it has had two EGR's and a leak in the fuel system.
Maybe we've been lucky.......
I think our next car will be a second hand diesel and if people keep
talking them down we should get a good deal!
--
Phil

Phil

You have been driving 'old school' Diesels - you could run 'em on just about anything combustible. Newer CR designs are a totally different technology.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - PhilW
"Xantias will not have been common rail diesel "
"'old school' Diesels"
"Newer CR designs are a totally different technology"

Well yes, apart from the current 7 year old Xantia HDi.

--
Phil
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - qxman {p}
A colleague of mine purchased a brand new Mondeo diesel about four years ago because it was said to be a good car for caravan towing. It has been the most unreliable car I have ever come across. for a privately owned well looked after car its been terrible. He had more problems with the fuel injection than you could count and the dealers have had it more than he has, probably every bit of the engine was replaced at one time or another.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - pyruse
Out of interest, is there a similar issue with putting diesel into a petrol car? It's just that you don't seem to hear of this as a problem. Is it because people don't tend to make this mistake or does this sort of misfuel cause less of a problem?
------------------------
It's because it's almost impossible - the diesel nozzle is too big to fit in the petrol filler cap.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - qxman {p}
I think its difficult to put diesel into a petrol tank because the diesel spout is bigger than the filler hole. Even if you do put a bit in I think the car will just splutter to a halt and need flushing out, rather than damage occuring.
An old, and sadly now deceased, friend of the family filled a Volvo 760 V6 with diesel about 20 years ago and it cost a fortune to flush through the FI system.
Its not difficult to clean Diesel out of a petrol car - done it myself a few times (not on my own cars, I hasten to add!).

Bascially pump out the tank and drain the fuel lines. Flush through with clean petrol and fit a new fuel filter. Then give it a 20 mile drive to get any remnants out of the injectors. Diesel is quite benign compared to petrol so does not do any damage to the fuel system components.
The biggest problem is what to do with the old fuel mix!
Thanks everyone for all your replies.

In order to minimise the risk, it does seem to be a choice between a second hand petrol or a new diesel. At least buying brand new means I know there would be no misfuelling (unless I make a mistake).

But I don't want to spend >£20k on a brand new Accord diesel, so it looks like I'll spend £10k on a second hand petrol.
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - rtj70
Someone on here says if you do enough mileage you could be saving £500pa on fuel alone with a diesel. I think you've made the right choice based on your mileage because:

- Not that high
- You didn't say how long you'd keep so the £500pa saving might not be that huge and the petrol car no doubt cheaper
- Difference in cost between petrol and diesel at second hand prices might cover the difference in MPG
- Some have been disappointed in the MPG of the earlier diesel Accord's so the saving may not have been so great
- And if you keep it long enough then the savings surely will have to pay for some costly repairs.... but then again it's a Honda not a Ford :-)
Diesel versus petrol - misfuelling - Blue {P}
These are all reasons why I'm buying a 2.5 petrol engined car as my second motor, less to worry about :-)

Blue
Someone on here says if you do enough mileage you could be saving £500pa on
fuel alone with a diesel. I think you've made the right choice based on your
mileage because:

It can easily be £3500 over 100k miles, that goes a long way towards fuel system issues.

However there have been Honda CR issues reported on here not least of which is poor economy.