Oil Leak Cure Wanted - Scott
Are there any products on the market( that REALLY WORK ? ) that I can add to my engine oil that will stop an oil leak?

The problem appears to be at the cylinder head and in the past I have changed the head gasket and had the head skimmed which cured the problem for a couple of years but it appears to have returned.( The head bolts are fully torqued down OK )
I suspect that the block wants skimming which will be expensive and time consuming, hence the request for a quick "additive to the oil " answer.

I`ve seen a Wynns additive in Halfords but that appears to only cure oil seal leaks.( by reacting with the oil seal ?)which I don`t think will be suitable.

Someone in the past has mentioned that there are excellent products on the market nowadays that really work, so what are they ?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott
Re: Oil Leak Cure Wanted - Keith
Sounds dodgy to me.

What car is it??
Re: Oil Leak Cure Wanted - John S
Scott

To be honest, I think you're unlikely to find a product which will seal this sort of leak. It's difficult to imagine what sort of sealing mechanism it might use that wouldn't have dire consequences for the rest of the lubrication system.

If you take the head off again there's a potential solution to avoid block skimming. An example is the BMC A series engine where there's an oil feed from the block which mates with an oilway in the head and carries oil to the rocker shaft. The head gasket provides the seal. Now these are a regular leak point on these engines, with oil eventually making its way out via the head gasket.

What seems to work is to cut a small annular gasket from some suitable material (eg one of the bolt holes in a water pump gasket or thermostat gasket) and stick this to the block around the oil feed hole with Hylomar or similar, then put on the head gasket and torque up as usual. The extra nip around the hole should improve the seal. Be very careful if the leak on your engine is near some other critical sealing point, but on an A series this isn't a problem.

Regards

John
Re: Oil Leak Cure Wanted - Charles
Top tip John!