Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - scott_lewis
Hi

I currently tow with a 1993 2.5TD Pajero. Had it 2 years and pulls my 1.5Ton caravan fine. The wife and I though have decided to get a newer car, and well, we both like the 4.x4 as its got us out - and a few friends of some scrapes when towing so we would like to continue to have one. I personally also like the driving height, I just feel more relaxed. I though would like to have better mpg and something newer. Anyway - so far I have been looking at the SSANGYONG Rexton, Hyundai Terracan and of course the Kia Sorento.

The Kia does look great but have also taken a liking to the Rexton. I wont be buying new, 3years old, and have £10K to spend. I am also looking at getting each in diesel variety and hopefully leather seats as easier to keep clean with the kids.

For those in the know, any advice on the models I am looking at or alterantives to look at.

Thanks

Scott
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - Fullchat
Got to be the Kia Sorento XS - which has the leather. Think the Terracan is a bit of a barge and you dont see that many about As for the Rexton I have no knowledge but again there are few about.
Have a look on e-bay under Kia Sorento there are a lot of dealers and private sales. Will give you an idea on prices.
--
Fullchat
Hi

Yep, the Sorento XS seems to be the one. Are Kia Sorentos any good though?

I just looked at Glass Guide whole life costs, and the Kisa Sorento comes out the lowest - based on 4 years - for cost per mile. The one I did look at though on there was the Nissa X-trail. Far lower on depreciation at same year and mileage. This will just pull my caravan. I am though concerend there is a newer model out at end of year.

Scott
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - NARU
The older Sorentos (pre face lift) had self levelling suspension which I think was deleted at facelift time - stops 'soggy backside' syndrome when towing!

I understand the Terracan is essentially an updated version of your current shogun - doubt there are many interchangeable parts though!
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - Mchenry
I tow a caravan weighing 750 kg empty with an X-Trail. It's an excellent tow car and it's extremely rare for another caravan to overtake me.
When I'm not towing, that is 95% of the time, it's not too thirsty (about 40 mpg with a light foot), it handles and brakes pretty well and is practical and well-equipped. Holds it's value well too.
Nissan showed an upgraded X-Tail at the Geneva show, but it wasn't an upgrade, it was a completely new vehicle (a foot longer), based on the Qashqai (spelling?) floorpan with the engine boosted to 170 hp. Mine's 4 years old and has been totally trouble-free so I think I'll go shopping next year.
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - Manatee
As you will know, Sorentos are much beloved of caravanners - not sure how this affects the prices. Isn't the Hyundai Santa Fe, rather than the Terrapin, the approximate equivalent of the Sorento? Might be worth investigating.
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - nb857
I had a migratory job in the USA for 19 months which meant living in trailer houses, and they were big. We pulled them with Ford F350 Super Duty pick ups with the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Unless you own BP, don't get one because they will drink you out of house and home.

But what I am getting at is even with a big pickup, pulling from the bumper is not ideal. The trailer has too much say in what the unit does.

I would reccomend a Hilux/L200/Narvara (sp), which ever one floats your boat. Then put a 5th wheel in the bed or use a ball hitch in the bed, the fifth wheel is easier to hook up but takes up the bed space. Obviously you'll need to swap the caravan, but they pull miles better, just like a little artic.
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - NARU
Then put a 5th wheel in the bed or use a ball hitch in the bed the fifth
wheel is easier to hook up but takes up the bed space. Obviously you'll need
to swap the caravan but they pull miles better just like a little artic.

A bit beyond the £10k budget I'd have said!
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - nb857
A bit beyond the £10k budget I'd have said!

On the contary,

a very good friend of mine leased an L200 with an extended cab (not the crew cab) for his business as a work horse. He got it new in April 05 on an 05 plate. The lease was up in April and he was given the choice to buy it. "£6,500 please sir", "I'll 'ave it" was the reply. Should leave plenty of wonga to change his caravan over to a safer outfit.
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - mss1tw
I had a migratory job in the USA for 19 months which meant living in
trailer houses and they were big. We pulled them with Ford F350 Super Duty pick
ups with the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel.

How have they managed to need stupidly big engines even when they're diesel powered? :-S
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - Gromit {P}
Isn't the Hyundai Santa Fe ... the approximate equivalent of the Sorento?

No, the Santa Fe is a lightweight "lifestyle" SUV. It would be a Freelander/X-Trail/Kia Sportage equivalent, whereas the Sorento would compete with the Discovery/Pathfinder/Terracan (or whatever replaces the Terracan in Hyundai's current line-up).

I suspect if the X-Trail will just pull 1.5 tonnes, then its not the vehicle you want. Pushed to its limits, it won't be economical to run, and won't have any power in reserve for hills, overtaking (I'm thinking tractors, not 3rd lane motorway stuff!) etc...
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - Ruperts Trooper
The original Santa Fe was a bit lightweight but the current one is bigger.

The Kia Sorrento is heavy but unsophisticated, particularly the rear suspension. Some Sorrento owners find the fuel consumption much higher than expected. I don't think it can compete with Discovery/Pathfinder.
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - jase1
The Disco is also much more expensive than the Sorento, so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say. A Honda Accord cannot compete with a BMW 5-series either.

Added to which, the Disco is ridiculously unreliable -- at least they are at the 8 or 9 years old it'd have to be to fit into budget.

Pathfinder probably a better bet, though.
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - Warlord
Hi there,

I have had various models of Pajero, both in 2.5 and 2.8 (LWB and SWB). I have a Isuzu Bighorn at the moment, but I can highly recommend the 2.8 LWB Pajero (preferably winter packed) as a cracking towing vehicle. The Bighorn is good and heavy (3.1 TDi) but stick another ton or so on the back and I think it would struggle a bit. Some of the Jap import Pajeros are extremely good value for money - and nice looking too!!

Good luck
Hi

yeh, I looked at just getting another Pajero but this time the 2.8. But the wife would like something more modern and I also would prefer something more economical. I looked at a 3.5 Petrol and LPG it but still think I would prefer a newer car. Dont get me wrong, my 2.5 Pajero is great, just think its time for something newer etc.

Scott
Ahh, just looked on parkers and the X-trail does 2000kg braked towing so may fit the bill. Hmmmm, any ideas from those in the trade on how much a car depreciates by when a new model comes out?

Scott
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - PhilDews
As an ex-Terracan owner, I can recommend them. I found mine to be extremely cheap to run for the size of it, returned approx 26 to 28mpg on an around town run (although I never towed with it) and you still get 2 years warranty at 3years old.....

Go and try one. See what you think.
------------------------------------------------
Drive Your Way - If anything can, TerraCan
-----
Towing with a 4x4 - which 4 x4 to get? - bradgate
We have owned a Sorento manual diesel for 2 yrs, and regularly use it to tow a 2 horse box in addition to being my partner's everyday car. The Sorento was chosen after much research and many test drives of the competition, and has proved ideally suited to its task, and completely reliable. Unfortunately, the leather seated XS models come complete with ghastly, tacky plastic wood interior trim.

The Sorento is basically a truck, ie it has a separate chassis to which the body is bolted and a low-ratio gearbox. This gives a high towing capacity (2800 Kg), good ground clearance and Land Rover rivalling off-road ability. The downsides are that it is relatively truck like to drive, (although better than a Disco TD5) and has a bouncy ride. Ours returns 31 mpg avg, but expect an auto to be 10% thirstier. I would highly recommend one to anyone who needs a proper towing vehicle, but doesn't have £30k to spend on a new shape Discovery.

You may not need a heavy-duty vehicle for occasionaly towing a 1500kg caravan. You may well find a lighter, less thirsty vehicle such as a Honda CRV or Nissan X-trail better suited.