Logistics of buying at auction - Lou_O
Hi,

Thinking of attending the BCA auction this Tuesday at Measham with the goal of snaring a decent car :)

If I manage to find and buy something, how do I go about getting it home - my guess is that it won't be taxed so it won't be allowed to leave.

Will BCA keep it at site until I can bring the correct docs?

Also, can I pay using debit-card?

Any advice on the process of getting the car back home much appreciated.

Lou
Logistics of buying at auction - jc2
Why don't you ask them???
Logistics of buying at auction - Quinny100
Just drive it home, making sure you've sorted out insurance. Yes it is technically illegal and there is a very small chance you'll kop a £60 fine, but when you do tax it you'll have to pay from the beginning of the month anyway so it's not like you've evaded paying anything.

I don't think BCA take cash anymore, so prior to bidding you will need to place a deposit with a debit card at the cash desk which they refund if you don't buy. You can settle the balance with a debit card and take the car away about an hour after the hammer falls usually.

Logistics of buying at auction - Pugugly {P}
There's also a chance if you're stopped that the local constabulary will impound your car under devolved powers from DVLA and it'll cost you £109 pounds and 5 times the back duty to get it back. They can be (quite rightly) ruthless.
I don't think BCA take cash anymore so prior to bidding you will need to
place a deposit with a debit card at the cash desk which they refund if
you don't buy. You can settle the balance with a debit card and take the
car away about an hour after the hammer falls usually.

That's good to know.

As I understand it if the car is paid for and insured I can take it away, even if it's not taxed.

Presumably you're allowed to drive an untaxed car to a place where it can be taxed?

"Presumably you're allowed to drive an untaxed car to a place where it can be taxed?"

Never presume anything, make sure you know

www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1994/Ukpga_19940022_en_4....9

Section 33 of the Act will tell you all.
Why don't you ask them???

Do they work on Sundays?
Logistics of buying at auction - bell boy
Can i just add that if you dont know about the terms and conditions of an auction and you think you are going to snare a car then personally i think you might be heading for a big fall.
Are you savvy in checking a car over prior to purchase? remember even with a nice shiny check sheet in the window of the proposed sale the car is at auction for a reason.
My advise? if you care to take it
Go to the auction on tuesday but only take enough money for a pot of tea and a bacon buttie,this way you will get a feel of the place and not get auction fever,if you get through the day there (not an hour mind) and you feel comfortable then go again with a view to a bid.
Logistics of buying at auction - BobbyG
Lou, friend recently bought a £7k ex motability car from auction. She paid a deposit on the day which her switch card. They gave her a receipt etc. Three days later she went back and paid the balance by switch and drove the car away (having arranged insurance)

Car was not taxed but as she was only 5 miles from auction house she took the risk. Once home she then had to go to her local DVLA office (in another car) to re-tax it as it was changing class (from motability).

Don't know if it counted for anything but before she drove it back from the auction house, she did a vehicle enquiry on the DVLA website and this showed that the car was still taxed although there was obiously no tax disc on the car.

Not sure what would have happened if she had passed an ANPR camera or a mobile unit, they might go off the same "system" as the DVLA website and think it was still taxed.
Devolved seizures by the Police have to authorised by DVLA via a dedicated telephone number, the call-handler checks the vehicle's status and authorises or doesn't depending on the result.
Logistics of buying at auction - jc2
Monday morning????
Logistics of buying at auction - Vansboy
Take note of the earlier replies - but pay BCA another £50 or so (depending on how far away you are) & let them deliver it for you.

Saves a lot of hassle!

VB
Logistics of buying at auction - retgwte
the standard technique is to book a slot at an MOT garage on the day you plan to buy the car, an MOT garage near your home, you dont need to commit to a reg number to do this

go to auction, buy the car

ring insurance company, get it insured there and then on the phone

ring MOT garage and tell them the reg number of the car you are bringing

you can then LEGALLY drive the car without TAX and/or MOT to the MOT testing station, regardless of whether or not it already had an MOT

MOT is usually useful as a quick checkover on a new car you have bought for personal use

you could bend these rules and stick it in your garage on the way to the MOT, and keep the garage sweet by paying the cost anyways

What about if he buys a bad mota though retgwte?
I am very much against this principle of people buying cars at auction and driving to some unknown destination to book a spurious mot.
Ive seen people get in cars that shouldnt be on the road ive seen people drive into the car park barrier and ive seen people nicked outside the auction gates.
We dont know if the OP is buying a 6 month old ex hire 3,000 mile car or a 15 year old banger in much the same way that the banger is fully safe and the ex hire car has just been rebuilt from 2 cars

sorry :-o
re "I am very much against this principle of people buying cars at auction and driving to some unknown destination to book a spurious mot."

nevertheless driving to a pre booked MOT is legal whether you like it or not

of course if the car is not roadworthy for some reason the driver maybe committing some other road traffic offence anyways, but they would not be guilty of driving without tax and/or mot

i would only do it myself on a car i had thoroughly checked out before and after buying it anyways

But you are advising someone you dont know to do it.
He may have only passed his test last week and doesnt know a boot from a trunk
This is why i am against it, theres them that can and theres them we dont know nowt about.
:-}
Logistics of buying at auction - Vin {P}
To some extent it depends on what the OP is buying. If it's straight out of fleet, three years old, then insuring and going is pretty much going to be OK (and yes, I'm sure you can come up with a horror story to prove me wrong). If it's a fifteen year old smoker, then we're in different territory.

I've collected all the cars I've had at auction with just insurance (arranged over the phone on the spot with my current insurer). MOT and Tax first thing the next morning. I honestly believe I'd be able to talk a policeman out of booking me in the event I was stopped. In any case, I might be wrong, but not having been stopped except after an accident in the past fifteen or so years, I reckon the chances of being stopped is pretty much nil.

V
no im not "advising" anyone to do it

im simply making the common practise common knowledge approach known to him

this technique is used by all the leading car criminals, so the odd decent person using it isnt the biggest problem on the planet

but yes i would advise doing it with your eyes wide open, and only drive having fully checked the car out, or if you dont know enough to check a car out to that degree having someone else check it out for you first

Logistics of buying at auction - normd2
at my local car auction you've got until 12 noon the following day to check over and report any major undeclared faults and can reject the car accordingly. Also you have up to three days in which to pay for it and take it away. After noon on the third day you either pay for storage or it goes back to auction and the sale is void. This gives time to sort out the money and insurance etc. On auction nights it's common to see the police sitting outside just waiting for custom in the form of untaxed, uninsured cars.
Until you're used to the process my advice is to go and watch a few times and get a feel for it. You may also notice those 'bargains' that seem to keep on coming back round again and again that the regulars know about that are just waiting for a 'first-timer' to snap them up.
Logistics of buying at auction - Vansboy
& if you were to buy from www.woma.co.uk they provide free (temporary) insurance cover, with every vehicle sold!

VB
Logistics of buying at auction - pendulum
At Chelmsford Auction House there is a direct phone to Norwich Union who will give you 7 days free cover if you've just bought a car. All you do is quote the dealer number above the phone. I've done it once and my mate's done it twice. :)
Logistics of buying at auction - Collos25
If people went to the auction web site they would find all the information they require as the above post instead they seem to want second hand not sure to be correct information.