Should I get a convertible? - DrS
With all of the unusually warm summers for the last 3 years or so, I am constantly wondering if I should get a convertible?
Do lots of miles (Like1,000 miles a week), up and down motorways.
Seems like I could get some kind of perverse pleasure out of getting a sun tan whilst driving on company business.
Point is, would I get sick of the noise and wind?

Have tried open cars out on a number of occasions, but only for a short stint, where the novelty value helps you to ignore the downsides.

How practical would one be, long term?
Should I get a convertible? - barchettaman
They´re pretty horrid on the motorway with the top down. Other road users make a huge amount of noise.
My experience, anyway.
On twisty back roads, on a hot summer´s day, good tunes on the stereo, in the Schwarzwald, truly memorable.
Should I get a convertible? - freakybacon
Depends on what sort of convertible, and what your budget is. About 5 years since, I had a Rover 216 cabriolet, which was perfectly ok, with a bit more wind noise on the motorway. Great fun with the roof down in the front on a summers day with the wind just tickling the hair/baldpatch. Right now I have a Suzuki grand vitara soft top, and while fun locally and on short trips, can be very tiring on longer runs both with roof up or down. I would expect the more modern stuff is quite ok.
Should I get a convertible? - Mad Maxy
I had a Rover 216 cabriolet which was perfectly ok

Sorry, no Rover 216 could ever be even OK... :-( (I know from experience - 220GSI)
Should I get a convertible? - Altea Ego
>Do lots of miles (Like1,000 miles a week), up and down motorways.
>How practical would one be, long term?

Given the first statement, the answer to the second is "not at all practical"
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Should I get a convertible? - MrWednesday
Only if you want to wear factor fifty sun block on your head / neck / ears et al. Fellow from my office picked up a new mini convertable recently, and after a week of 'hood down driving fun' he looked like someone had par-boiled his head. A lot of discomfort I thought for the fun of 'wind in your hair' driving.

Should I get a convertible? - bell boy
i have to agree roofless and motorway is not a pleasure
modern airy saloon with climate is the way forward
nice little midget 998 for the weekend if it pushes your buttons
Should I get a convertible? - adverse camber
agree.

theres a reason why you dont see many convertables in hot countries.
nice little midget 998 for the weekend if it pushes your buttons

Something for the weekend, then, sir...
Should I get a convertible? - injection doc
how pratical would one be? higher insurance, leaky in the winter, car wash no, easy to break into, ie slashed with a knife, very noisy on a motorway! saftey issue strenght wise!, if it rolls over how do you fair? do you want to turn up to a meeting looking like a boiled lobster or smelling of suntan cream with dust stuck all over & if its very hot you may end up putting the roof up which looks even more dappy!
Praticality 0000000
Should I get a convertible? - tack
Having just arrived home (2hrs ago) from a two week stint in Brittany in my 9-3 cabrio' let me put some context into this one.

It was great on twisty country roads with the hood down and a nice groove going. Wear a baseball hat with your sunglasses, as this stops the sun getting into your eyes over the top of the glasses. Agree, never have hood down on motorway.....no point.....too noisy!

Practical? I managed to take two weeks worth of luggage with a wife who believes that Imelda Marcos didn't have enough shoes and handbags. AND there was enough room left to bring back some wine, and other delightful comestibles.

Hood up on a long motorway journey? (350miles Dinan - Dunkerque) it is actually very civilised....small amount of wind rustle, 80mph @35mpg (2.0T Vector)

No leaks in this latest batch of appalling rain. Insurance was cheaper than my BMW 3 series. Touch wood, Saab has a benign image and has not yet suffered the envy slash that a beemer/merc might get .

Having said all that......would I have another? Probably not. It is OK for a season, maybe even two, but I think the initial enjoyment will pall. So, go ahead....fill your boots but don't expect the love affair to last.
Should I get a convertible? - MB3
If you don't need a big boot or back seats... then how about a Mercedes SLK?

For the motorway, you can leave the roof up if it's noisy (but with the roof open and side windows up it's not too bad at 70-75....

You've got good roadholding, and if you stay away from the largest engines you get decent MPG and a fairly soft ride (but not Mondeo soft... you are sat over the rear axle) at least it's not bone-breaking.

As soon as you turn onto the side road, it's only a few seconds, doing nothing harder than pressing a button, you get your dose of sunshine.

Well engineered, no leaks from the steel folding roof. Reasonable insurance, at least with the 2.0 and 2.3 engines.

Sporty cornering makes windy roads a pleasure.

I've had mine for quite a few years now, (a V reg SLK230) and while I don't use it every day any more (because the business has bought me an ML) it's a brilliant weekend car, and other than the low seat is a bit hard to get out of with my bad back I would be happy enough to use it every day.

Should I get a convertible? - tack
PS......I also had room for my Brompton Fold Up bike in the boot, despite the thousands of shoes and handbags wife took with her.
Should I get a convertible? - mike hannon
Does it HAVE to be a baseball hat?
Should I get a convertible? - z4ron
No, a Pith helmet looks just as good :-)
Should I get a convertible? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Yes but then you will get people taking your pith! What about an old style MB E class, the last of the well built ones? I can remember the model number - W124? Skip the 220, it was underpowered, but a 320 would be nice and it is real 4 seater. I ran both some years ago.
Should I get a convertible? - Simon H
You should get a Caterham Seven. Nice.
Should I get a convertible? - Pugugly {P}
The best convertible isn't one - its a bike !
Should I get a convertible? - DavidHM
Have you got a budget in mind?

Something with a diesel engine and a folding hardtop should be quite practical. Probably I'd go for an Astra 1.9 Twintop for about £17k.
That was the sort of thing....
Maybe a Beetle, as I started off on ackered VW's 30 years ago!
Should I get a convertible? - retgwte
well ive hired soft tops for the odd holiday of a week or two

and ive been in friends convertables many times

i wouldnt buy one for my own use, dry hair, covered in dust, added danger of theft etc just dont make it practical as a year round proposition

i wouldnt mind an MX5 with a hardtop on as my regular car, and i guess the hardtop could come off for the holidays, or the newer MX5 with foldy down hardtop, however need to occasionally ferry parents in back, and lack of auto option in the UK put me off this MX5 option

dont really rate any other convertables available in the UK, short of an old XJS maybe, or if i lived a rural lifestyle a Jimny would be quite fun (yes I know everyone else thinks theyre naff)

i think ill just stick to hiring them on hols when the mood takes me

Should I get a convertible? - Pugugly {P}
Nice 3 series with a hardtop for winter ?
Should I get a convertible? - Zippy123
Go for it!

I got a new A4 3.2i convertible from work. Best car that I have had. Roof down on every possible occasion. It is noisier than a hard roof. It does have some scuttle and shake but it is just sooo much fun!

Should I get a convertible? - nb857
Are soft tops more for the occasional run to the sea side, not for 1,000 miles a week? I can't think of anything worse than driving along a motorway in a soft top. Well I can but you know...

One problem with soft tops is that because you are cooled by the breeze you don't notice your skin getting fried. Untill you stop.

There are only 2 way to do open air motoring

1 Caterham

2 Motor bike.
Hmm. Did Land's End to John O Groats 2 years back on a motorbike.
Hottest Summer since time immemorial.
Lost 14lbs in 3 days.
Almost enough to incline me against wearing leather.
Should I get a convertible? - Vansboy
Agree the Astra suggestion, think it looks a smart & modern car.

& if it were into BIG £$£$, something like a XK, would HAVE to be the soft top option. Can't see why anyone would spend so much & go for coupe. The roof would be more than good enough insulation & a quality music system, for overcoming any noise issues.

Mr's V has her top down on Mx5 at every opportunity - she's even using the tonnau cover as a permanent fixture, just now. Did have to put it up last week though!!

VB
Should I get a convertible? - Blue {P}
I bought an MG TF recently and now have no plans to leave the open top motoring fold! :-)

It's absolutely brilliant fun, even at 1am on a clear night, it makes every drive more of an experience than in a hardtop, I even enjoy the drive to work! Sure the car is more noisy than a hardtop, I noticed it a lot at first as I went from an E46 3 Series into a little TF with plenty of wind and engine noise, but now that I'm used to it I barely notice it. I wouldn't do 1000 miles a week in mine though!

I've had no problems so far with ths soft top aspect except for an unfortunate incident last night where somebody ran at the car full pelt from the drivers side and tried to attack me or the car (I'm not sure which) when I had the top down. I didn't hang around to find out what he wanted and literally ran a ring around him by executing a quite impressive u-turn by sliding the back end out and taking off in the other direction almost travelling sideways up the road using opposite lock leaving him standing in the middle of my u-turn circle. I would have carried on straight up the road I was on but it was a dead end and I didn't fancy being trapped in the car with a psychopath leaning in!

I'm now thinking about taking an evasive driving course or something like that to teach me how to handle the car under more extreme circumstances, I got lucky that the car leapt into action the moment I stood on the throttle and behaved exactly how I wanted it to, next time I may not be so fortunate.

Anyway, I digress, I'm assured that incidences like this are pretty rare, and to be honest I should have known better than to be where I was at the time I was there.

My solution to the bad winter weather in my soft top is to stick it in the garage for 6 months and drive a Cougar through the bad weather, it should handle a lot better than the TF in the wet due to it's front wheel drive setup, I also still have an itch for a 6 cylinder engine that the TF can't quite scratch...

You must get a convertible, I agree with the Astra twintop suggestion, the Focus CC will also be good, but not as pretty as the Astra. A folding tin top like the Astra really should offer the fun that I get from my convertible but with the practicality of a motorway mile muncher.

Blue
Should I get a convertible? - Westpig
Blue,

What on earth were you doing in such a dodgy area? My cynical mind has now gone into overdrive.
Should I get a convertible? - barchettaman
He lives in a dodgy area ;-)
Should I get a convertible? - Blue {P}
Blue
What on earth were you doing in such a dodgy area? My cynical mind has
now gone into overdrive.

It was just off Scotswood Road in Newcastle, not normally too bad, but I should have clicked that looking for parking on a Saturday night out in a major city up a dark, dead end road wasn't the brightest of ideas, I just went on the theory that "I've been coming here for 5 years and never had a problem yet..." Well never again up that particular street with the hood down!

Just for reference there's actually a secure car park off this particular road, I wasn't planning on leaving my baby up a dodgy sidestreet!

Blue
Mr's V has her top down at every opportunity

Wow, bet she gets some looks!
Despite my irreverent comments above, this has been a useful thread. I hanker after, variously, the latest MX-5, the latest TT convertible or a Lotus Elise (or the Vauxhall version). This, as a replacement sometime, for a MINI Cooper S.

I suppose that you all have confirmed what I suspected - that long-distance high-speed top-down motoring is not a pleasure. But for shorter journeys in what seems to be my very crowded part of our crowded isle it could be fun. And I'd like to be able to say I've owned/done it, just as I did after running a Porsche 911 (993) for two years. Now, when would it be right to start persuading Mrs M that we need a change of wheels?
Should I get a convertible? - Lud
Why get a car that's heavier, slower, less stiff and noisier than one with a tin roof?

It's nice to be in the open air in good weather but it's tiring over a long distance. Canvas or whatever they use these days won't prevent anyone from getting into the car more or less silently. And it tends to drum or vibrate at speed.

Barchetta or roadster type cars with no roof at all are OK as long as there's another one for practical transport. But only very expensive convertibles are going to be comfortable long term. And even they would be better with metal roofs.

IMFFHO of course.
Should I get a convertible? - graham woods
Hi DrS, A few years ago I had a mint Xr3i con, and I found it great on the motorway, even on a dry cool day with the heater blowing into the foot-well. I also had a b.m.w. Z3 which nearly blew me out of it, it was that bad. cheers, Graham.