France - Whats the "T" stand for on road - injection doc
Touring last year on the D420 in France we followed the signs & suddenly found ourselves on a very narrow road ( in fact so narrow had to turn caravan towing mirrors in & inch our way over a bridge) we then noticed on the next sign post that it was the D420t & the T was very small! I assume it means something on the lines of rural route but perhaps someone can enlighten me please, not much fun when the outfits almost 45' long & the buildings overhanging the road meant removing the arial of the van to clear with much amusement to the locals who spoke no English
Regards

France given a capital and its not Paris ! - spelling corrected as a favour ! - PU
France - Whats the "T" stand for on road - Aretas
Sorry, PU but you missed "arial" - aerial might be better!
France - Whats the "T" stand for on road - PhilW
"Touring last year
the outfits almost 45' long"

Touring? I call that moving house!
Don't know what the T stands for (terroire?) but I would have thought that a classification of D 420 would have been fair warning that it was a pretty minor road - and didn't the map show it as minor? Any warning signs that not suitable for large vehicles?
--
Phil
Hi Phil, no the d420 was a good road & no problem till we came to a fork & I saw 420 signposted both ways & chose 1 not realising the one I took had this tiny t after the road no .The road didn't start of that narrow & no prior warning iether about how narrow or weight restrictions for bridges iether.
Ex HGV & PSV to used to looking out for those restrictions
Thanks .Regards Doc
France - Whats the "T" stand for on road - Pugugly {P}
Was it simply a No Through Road type of T ?
No it was just a tiny t after the D420t. the D420 was & had been a good road till it split & I managed to get through the village & out the otherside where I did meet an English car who stopped & asked me if I had just come through the village & over the bridge & when I said yes he said B..... H.... but we carried on OK & eventually rejoined the D420.
I love the rural routes you see so much more. This was on the way to the Dordoigne
Doc,
Can you find an explanation on this site?
Seems to be the "bible" of French road numbering but I can't find anything about "t" suffix

--
Phil
Oops! Forgot the link!
www.geocities.com/marcelmonterie/f.htm
--
Phil
Thank you phil, phew quite some site! I think our system is easier to understand, I wonder how many of the locals understand it all. Thanks once again, If I find full explanation I will post it.
France - Whats the "T" stand for on road - Altea Ego
I think our system is easier to understand

Yes M, A, B, C, (yes there are 1 or 2 'C' roads) and unclassified seem ideal.

Although it all gets a bit skewey when we create things like A1(M) and two seperate A14's
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
France - Whats the "T" stand for on road - madux
I'll have a guess - might stand for Tourism, as in "Voitures de Tourisme" - passenger cars to you and me.
France - Whats the "T" stand for on road - bintang
No indication in the highway code (Code Rousseau). All I can guess for the moment is a) trottoir, pavement, i.e. no provision for pedestrians or b)troupeaux, herds, i.e. no herding of animals.
I suppose there was no number just before it? 2t, for example, would mean two tonnes weight limit.
France - Whats the "T" stand for on road - Carse
Does the T indicate that the road will eventually lead to a Toll station?

Carse
Probably not. Toll is péage in French.
France - Whats the "T" stand for on road - Collos25
Special class deparmentmental road with some type of restriction ie weight , width or height.